main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ConCarolinas 2004

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by Boba_Fett_of_Nine, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Yeah, I don't care how nerdy it is, I love costuming and will continue to look for any excuse to dress up!

2. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    An update on the MTV thing. Its actually VH1 and we will be supplying them with the video. So, if you have a video camera and want to shoot some footage....

Here's the official statement:
    "VH-1 has asked us to film our convention as much as possible for new special on sci-fi conventions. Video cameraman will be wondering about with cameras all
    weekend long. Please note that attendance of the convention gives us permission to film anyone in the Convention area, unless other legal agreements state
    otherwise."

So definitely break out the costumes!

Janet

3. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    For those of you planning on staying at the hotel, we've gotton them to extend the $72 A night rate till the con. There are a limited amount of rooms at this rate so we urge anyone who is interested to call the toll free marriott number and get a reservation in. We can't guarantee we can get you that rate at the con although there should be rooms available. They are very large rooms, you probably can get 2 people in each bed and two on the floor with no problem. Plenty of fast food and sit down places with in walking distance of the convention.
    Also, Dragoncon is having a party I think Friday night which should be fun!

Janet

4. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    Yahoo! More reasons to party!!!!

5. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    One request: If you are planning on going and you reserved a room through the internet, please pm me with the number of nights, and the name it's registered in. Even if you put the ConCarolinas code, we don't think we are getting credit for it so it's really important we know!

Thanks,
    Janet

6. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Whos driving for a one day trip?

When do we want to leave in the morning?

7. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    Registration should be open earlier than 9 am (I hope) The first panels start at 9 am. Figure on 15-20 minutes at most to get your badge, etc. I would figure on arriving by 8 am and then figure your travel time backwards. Parking is free at the hotel and there is plenty of it so that shouldn't be a problem.

Don't forget to bring your old books for our book drive! Last year they went to preschools, battered women's shelters, Senior Daycares, etc.

Janet

8. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I'm thinking we might not make it right on time since we live to far away. I was thinking about perhaps leaving at 7am or so to head up.

But that is ultimately up to the drivers. I don't have a good idea of who is coming either.

Ok I think it will be me, Don, Paulina, Jane, and Andrew. Is that everyone from our group? That would mean probably 2 cars unless we want to do a tight squeeze. If Don drives his car then I could drive my truck (but I will need a little help with gas money from whomever rides with me).

9. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    Sadly, I must decline. I am so poor right now that my pockets look like Mos Espa on a good day.

However, I'd be willing to meet with someone if they want to wear my Royal Guard during Con Carolinas or the Emperor. I can meet with someone at the Harry Potter event and drop it off there.

Andrew or Don would you be interested in going to Con Carolina as my Royal Guard or Darth Sidious? Just let me know guys! :)

Just let me know,

Yours Truly

Janers aka The Poorest Royal Guard

10. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Paulina has opted out on this and I have other driving arrangements already made. Sorry. :(

11. Anakin_Solo06

Anakin_Solo06 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 2004
    I will be willing to pay for some gas, my poor car is getting to old and I am having to work on her now. Plus, I don't think she could hold up on me with my lead foot.

12. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Ok so it will be me and Andrew going up that morning and we will meet Don there. I can drive as long as I get a little gas help. We can work out details at the movie on Friday.

13. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    YEAH!!!!

I can't wait to see you guys there!!!

14. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    ConCarolinas was loads of fun! Great seeing everyone from around teh state again. Its always fun to get into costume ;) .

I got a bunch of books autographed and also had some great chats with some of teh illustrators there. I can't wait to get some frames for my new artwork.

15. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    well it was nice to atleast get to hang out with other nc fanforce members. and it was cool talking with joe corroney. other than that, i'ld rather go to another IQM than cONcAROLINA OR sTELLARcON. soRry guys that put these on but, it lacks so much. no toy vendors, no celebrities..... why can't we have something like Chicago and SanDiego in NC?

Much thanks to Janine and Ron for letting me stay with them. Nice seeing Natalie again and finally meeting Don.

Now let's go terrorize the Sprinkle Empire!!! [face_devil]

16. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    It was great finally getting to meet all of you! It was alot of fun. I wish I didnt have to keep being pulled out of the room to put out the fires with the Klingons<lol>

This was our 2nd year as a full con and we are still learning and hopefully correcting and improving.

Dealers room will have toy vendors next year. We had a couple sceduled, but they backed out. We plan on having some professional costumers who actually make costumes for the movies come next year and not only sell costumes, but hopefully give some tutorial, etc.
    It will also be a large space. We are going to rearrange some of the program room layouts, etc.

We also plan on adding one "big" media guest next year. Right now a Farscape guest is on the short list. If we have a Star Wars guest, they'll be somebody big who doesn't do the convention circuit.

We really appreciated all of you who came a supported us. This is a not for profit con so fans really do have a say so in the programming. So, your feed back is important.

Spooky-Kid, I appreciate your honesty, toys shows and IMQ are nice, but do you notice they often are one hit wonders? Thats because it costs a great deal of money to put these things on. Most celebrities charge travel expenses as well as appearance fees. Most Fans aren't independently wealthy enough to gamble their money on a show in "hopes" that the fans will support it. So, we have to grow a little at a time.

That being said, if any of you have panel/event ideas for next year, please feel free to suggest them--but be prepared to be recruited! Having alot of events are nice, but having the bodies to put them on is important. We need you all, and all willing to help out and be involved are extremely welcome!

BTW, Don, thanks for helping out with Joe. He was very appreciative of it. He's a great guy and alot more well connected with Lucasfilm than most celebrities out there!

Thanks again to everyone, and I'm so glad I can now put a face to the names!

Janet

17. Anakin_Solo06

Anakin_Solo06 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 2004
    Well for me seeing how that was my first con I have ever went to I had fun. I am glad I got my book signed. I really enjoyed the remake panel that we went to, those authors are so funny. It would of been nice to have some toy vendors, but it was best that they weren't there this time, so I couldn't waste all my money. But that now gives me a reason to want to go back more. In all it was a good day, I got to go to my first con, get to know people better, talk to new people, and get some very cool posters too.

18. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    Glad to hear it! The remake panel was alot of fun. Did you make it to SciFi Screen test? I was crying! Rich from Starwars fanworks and the Two producers of the Fall of the Saga Fanfilm (Now known as the Three Stooges) did a mean Yoda and Golumn on the Dating game. We're going to do it again next year in a bigger hall. Hopefully we can recruit them again.

Janet

19. jkg_vader

Jul 31, 2003
    Con Carolinas was super fun! The whole ROTO team had a blast, and loved the oppertunity to be on many panels. Best part for me was a tie between seeing old friends, putting faces to new ones, and of course, seeing 3 of my costumes in th costume contest.

Overall, it was a marvelous time.

20. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    I was so proud of you jkg_vader for being winner of the costume contest! For those who missed it, Jeanine wore a stunning coronation Arwen gown with fully beaded butterfly crown. And it was judged by my fave costumer and 501ster, Cheralyn. Jeanine won a monster treasure chest full of beads... just an incredible night, for sure.

21. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    You didn't look too bad yourself Don,! All the costumer's looked great! There were some fabulous pirates as well!
    She and her mom looked great. They had some other costumes earlier in the day which were just as fabulous! They were so much fun. Can't wait to see yall again at Dragon*Con.

Janet

22. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    Aye, you should have seen the 501st mixing with the pirates at the mixer...... thar be much "Arrrr"s

23. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    I think that will be our official saying for next year ARRRRR <lol>
    There will be more pirate panels next year, and hopefully a good LOR panel. Something that hasn't been done at every con. If you guys think of something, let me know!

I'm pushing to get Ian McCaig or Trisha Bigger for next year's artist GOH. Wouldn't that be cool?

We will be adding at least one Major media guest. We are tossing around a few different names. So far we have a Ben Browder or Lani Tupu from Farscape, James Marsters from Buffy, Scott Bakula from Quantum Leap/Star Trek. A Star Wars guest will most likely be somebody from behind the scenes as EPIII will be out one week before our con and most major guests will probably be unavailable. Especially with CIII next year.

However, if the Fanforce groups and the 501st want to join together and sponsor a Star Wars media guest, then I believe I can get them a spot in the dealer's room to sign autographs, and of course a badge to get in, and we'll promote the crap out of their appearance. Your looking at $173 for 2 nights hotel, and what ever travel expenses incurred. Some require speaking fees, etc. So if you have someone in mind, please let me know and we'll do our best to work it out. WE are not for profit so and the facilities fees alone take up most of the ticket money so we have a very limited amount for guest expenses, so for right now, this is all we can do. And we get no free hotel rooms from the hotel. I realize sometimes this is possible, but not in our case. We pay the same for hotel rooms as everyone else.

Just let me know.

Janet

24. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    If Marsters shows up, so will my wife. So that's at least one person for sure

And do we RotO members count as Star Wars Media?

25. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    Star Wars Media=someone who has actually been in a Star Wars movie, not played a character in SciFi Screen Test.;-)

You guys are just our extra special,cool guests. Don't get cocky kid.

Janet

PS: Great pictures BTW, especially since you managed to keep me out of them! And hey, why did Cindy, Ron, and Steph, get cool black ROTO shirts, and I who is the biggest Star Wars fan of the group,who has a whole garage converted into a Star Wars room for my collection, who got Joe Corroney to come to the con, and arranged your interview with him, who is the keeper of the con funds and decides who gets free badges and tables, did not?
    That's ok, I'll remember that next time I'm talking with the great flannelled one<lol>

I'll just have to wear my white ROTO shirt to DragonCon.;-) while passing increminating photos or Rich taken during the Sci-fi screen test<g>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.