ConCarolinas, I need your help!

Discussion in 'Jacksonville, NC' started by motf-jan, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motf-jan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi
    Janet from the Dagobah Swamp Foxes here. In addition to being a City Rep, I'm also on the board for ConCarolinas in Charlotte, NC on June 4-6 2004. One of my many hats is Director of Fandom Programming. I know this seems way in advance, but believe it or not, it takes a year to plan a good convention.

Heres a few things I need help on:
    1. Panel participants: We have a couple of Star Wars panels: Anakin: Evil Seed or Tragic Hero, StormTrooper Minuteman, and Star Wars vs Star Trek Who's Line.

As far as the Anakin goes, we have someone who has some expertise in this, but if your an English major or have some great interest in the subject, let me know.

StormTrooper Minuteman is a race between two troopers to see who can dress in their armor the fastest. Obviously, this is geared more toward 501st members.

Who's line? -I need senerio ideas that will combine the two genres.

There will also be panels on Buffy, Harry Potter/Artemis Foul/Series of Unfortunate Events, LOR, X files,Xena, Andromedia, Stargate, Farscape. Anyone interested in these subjects also contact me.

2. ConSuite Themed contest-Each group will have an hour to put on a themed party based on their genre. Star Wars, SCA, Trek, etc. There will be some kind of prize for the best party. I need to know if their is an interest for the Southern FanForce groups in doing an hour. The local 501st is making noises like they might want to do one on their own, but we can either have a combo or two different groups.

3. Fan Force Table-Do we want one? There are very limited amount available so I need to snag us one early, but again, I need to know it there is an interest.

We will have 3 additional programming tracks, 1 is writers workshops, etc, 1 is costuming, SCA, Armor type tutorial panels, and 1 is the larger autograph, auction, costume contest, Rocky Horror, Klingon Karioke, etc. We also have several rooms of Gaming, Dealer's room, Art Show, Video Room.

Guests are still in the works, but our current listing is up at http://secfi.org/concarolinas

Thanks,
    Janet
  2. cinemafreak Jedi Master

star 4
  3. motf-jan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd like to update everyone and let them know that Alan Dean Foster has been added as our Author Guest of Honor. Mr Foster penned the original Star Wars novelization under George Lucas' name, Splinter of the Minds Eye, and Recently, The Approaching Storm. He has also written dozens of Star Trek books and 200+ more books over the years. He rarely attends conventions anymore so this is a great chance to meet him! We have plenty of Star Wars events and panels planned along with LOR, Star Trek, Buffy, Farscape, Stargate, etc. Keep checking the website for more info.

We also will have a FanForce Fan Table available and need somebody to organize getting the various club members together.

We will also have a book drive this year for our charity. Bring all those childrens and adult books your finished with and help out some needy folks! Our charity auction will also raise money for them.

Thanks,
    Janet
  4. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    He also wrote a Dinotopia book!
  5. motf-jan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Author David Weber has also been added to the guest list along with some film makers.

Not star wars related, but still cool.

Still need someone from Charlotte to commit on a FanForce table or I'm going to have to give it up to the Stargate or LOR clubs!

This could be manned by all the various fan force groups, but since it is a Charlotte con, I think the Charlotte fan force group should be the one to coordinate things.

Janet
  6. cinemafreak Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure they can count on all the fanforces that appear for help.
  7. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    This is what motf-jan posted about Rich, Janine, and Ron (otherwise known as Requiem of the Outcast) on the Rocky Mount boards:

WE had so much fun meeting you all. Finally, a truley fun bunch of Star Wars fans. You all put on terrific panels and I'll be wearing my ROTO tshirt proudly at DragonCon. We'll be sure to attend your panel and heckle you! And of course we want you all back next year! Rich doing a gay Yoda was priceless.(You had to be there)

The beads they won are actually glass beads from the czech republic. They are/were worth over $1000 in value, but they did give alot away. My daughter got some and is making a nice necklace from them Ebay is your friend!

I got a note from Joe Corroney and he talked about what a joy it was talking to all of you and how he made so many new friends in the Star Wars community. He wants to come back also. I hope we'll be able to accomodate him.

We are already burning up our planning boards with lessons learned and what we are going to change for next year to make it even bigger and better. I think you all know, but just in case, we value your suggestions and help so feel free to make them!

Thanks again, and it really was fun meeting you all!

Janet
  8. JediKnight_Jerri Jedi Master

star 3
    What is going on there? Directely above this post.........Janet posted, however, it came out under J-9's profile............
  9. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Nonono, if you read the post closer you'll see that I said I'm reposting Moft-Jans post from another board. Love ya Sis!
  10. cinemafreak Jedi Master

star 4
    Gay Yoda. Never again. That was part of a Whose Line panel, really. That Con was some of the most fun I've ever had. And I've had lots of fun at other places. But never as much as at ConCarl. Wow. Next year seems to far.
  11. motf-jan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh but you were sooooo funny! WE are bringing that panel back next year, in a bigger, and cooler room<g> So start practicing! Costume faire/Iron Seamstress definitely back-a little more organized hopefully!, probably put the Stormtrooper minuteman in that slot as well. Perhaps we'll have them race the Klingons!

I look forward to seeing you all at DragonCon this year. Hmmm, they were taking videos of the panel, you may end up on VH1 doing that Yoda. Now isn't that a thought?

Janet
  12. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm sportin' my requim of the outcast shirt today :D

I'm an outcast.... :cool:
  13. cinemafreak Jedi Master

star 4
    sweet. Take a picture wearing it and I'll put it on the site.
  14. jkg_vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Being an outcast is good!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.