ConCarolinas........ Who's going?

Discussion in 'Winston-Salem, NC' started by spooky-kid, Apr 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So, let's start discussing ConCarolina. It's getting closer. You know Alan Dean Foster is gonna be the guest of honor. It'll be worth going just to get your Splinter of the Minds Eye autographed.

Begin ConCarolina discussion now.....
  2. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So am I goin' to Con Carolinas by myself?
  3. Sith_Wench Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Looks like it 8-}

I'll send you my ADF book for signing ;)

//wonders if she can ship herself to Carolina//
  4. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sooo, Sith Wench. You jealous of how active our FF is? [face_laugh]
  5. Sith_Wench Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I keep telling you to go to the phxff.net boards cause we are very active over there. And I'm the top poster 8-}
  6. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yeah but, ya'll aren't gonna be comin' to Con Carolinas with me. ..... ohhh... another site to register with... ok
  7. motf-jan Jedi Knight

star 3
    We'll be glad to have you Spooky-kid! In addition to Alan Dean Foster, We'll be having Joe Corroney who has art in all the past and future Insiders this year. He has also done insert cards for the Clone Wars Trading Cards and is doing some for the up coming Topps Star Wars Heritage Cards. We will also have the Stormtrooper minuteman contest, lots of panels, and auction, costume contest, Klingon Karoke--who can miss that? LOR trilogy in the video room, lots of eats in the Consuite. It'll be alot of fun.

Look forward to seeing you there!
    Janet
  8. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I think there are 3 of us from Raleigh that will be there. We can meet up. We should be getting there about 9am or so on Saturday.
  9. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Master

star 4
    It was terrific to finally meet spooky_kid after all this time. Hope you had fun, buddy, cuz I certainly did!
  10. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was nice to finally meet you too TK and meeting the other FanForce people was cool :D and meeting Joe Corroney was cool :D ... the con ..... annnhhhhhh!!! They should combine that Con with the Imperial Quartermaster Con and give North Carolina a Convention to be proud of.... just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.... [face_plain]
  11. motf-jan Jedi Knight

star 3
    i tell you what Spooky-kid, you come up with the $4 thousand in the added facilities fees, and the $10 thousand to bring in all the guests and we'd be glad to have that type of con. --Or we can raise the entry amount $85 or so piece like DragonCon ;-)

The reason there hasn't been another IQ lately is attendence wasn't enough to cover the costs IMO. I'm sure it came out of somebody's pocket. With these types of media cons, everybody wants their money up front so you have to have alot of start up money and be willing to risk alot of your own money. Cons as a whole are not good investments. Your lucky if you break even. It's a shame it is that way, but it is.

However, if you can get some of the NC fan groups to sponsor a Celebrity guest, we'll provide a table for them, badge and promote the crap out of their appearance. This is something we can do.

janet
  12. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The reason there hasn't been another IQ lately is attendence wasn't enough to cover the costs IMO

and my 2 cents is maybe if it wouldn't have been scheduled on Easter weekend or the same weekend as Wizard World, it would have done better.

--Or we can raise the entry amount $85 or so piece like DragonCon

doesn't have to be as big as DragonCon but I would pay more if it meant it would be along the lines of the kinda Con I would wanna go to? How much is it for other cons like Empire Fan Fest, Wizard World, San Diego Comic Con ???
  13. MRFREEZE Jedi Knight

Spooky-Kid, as the promoter of Adventure Con here in Knoxville, TN. I can vouch for the fact that conventions with media guests can be profitable, but risky. Over the last two years Adventure Con has featured more celebrity guests, than any other convention in the southeast, with the exception of Dragoncon & Megacon. Here are the celebrities who appeared at previous Adventure Con's:

David Prowse
    Anthony Daniels
    Alex Vincent
    Felix Silla
    Tanya Roberts
    Richard Hatch
    Dick Durock
    Jackson Bostwick
    Brad Dourif
    Kathy Garver
    Cindy Morgan
    Catherine Bach
    Tracy Brooks
    Clayton Hill
    Sharon Ceccatti
    Kate Jackson
    Christie Ricci
    Ernie Hudson
    Sandra Taylor
    Lollipop
    Lou Ferrigno
    Ben Chapman
    Dirk Benedict
    Dick Warlock
    Gil Gerard
    Erin Gray
    James Macarthur
    Linda Harrison
    Noel Neill
    Danielle Harris
    George Lazenby
    Jeremy Bulloch
    Dawn Wells
    Richard Kiel
    Yvonne Craig
    Julie Newmar
    Peter Mayhew

Also, we have brought in all of these celebrities with out ever charging more than $6 admission. Also, when you have media guests present, major companies such as Palisades Toys will come & exhibit at the show.
  14. motf-jan Jedi Knight

star 3
    True, Adventure con is more of a Toy show. You would have to admit that most of your money comes from dealer's fees and exhibitor tables rather than actual admission fees. They are a bonus. Adventure Con is one of the few success stories here in the south. But a different type of show than ConCarolinas, StellarCon and others. That doesn't make it bad, it's just a different type. WE need a variety of shows here in the south or it would just be boring wouldn't it?

Also, like ConCarolinas, Adventure Con did start out small and has continued to grow over the years. A very good move on their part. So often, people try and do everything at once and fail. I think both cons will be around for years to come and continue to grow albiet in different directions.

I truely wish the continued sucess as Southern Fandom needs it!

Janet
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.