main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Concept Art Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HegoDamask, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I have the original picture and I've examined it closely but I still don't see anything that looks fuzzed out to me. That part that's circled is just the flat top of a mesa with a shadowy cliff face above it.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

Actually, he's frying someone sitting directly in front of him. Someone who's not in shot. Bloody hell, its Lucas! They truly have taken over. :eek:

3. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    He's unstoppable!

Ryus and Krueger like this.
  4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Wow. I've examined the concept art all weekend, and reached only one conclusion:

I want more concept art. :)

6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I LOVE how you made JJ's hair stand on end for the frying effect. Oh wait..you didn't do that...

7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

There's no way of knowing whether it is Episode VII concept art or just reference shots.

8. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014

Brilliant ! You win the Internet ! [face_laugh]

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oooh, I've always wanted to win that!

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  10. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Really not sure where to post this, but I haven't seen this posted yet.

"A full scale Millennium Falcon is being built at Pinewood, as some staff are being offered 7-year contracts, potentially to include Indy 5.

There's been a security clampdown in the prop shop at Pinewood Studios, but we now understand that work is afoot on building a full scale Millennium Falcon there. Furthermore, model makers are also building lightsaber hilts. This would tie into reports that the emphasis is going to be on practical, rather than computer effects wherever possible with future Star Wars films.

Also, we now understand that model makers on the Star Wars project are being recruited on up to seven year contracts, which cover three sequels and three spin-offs."

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/02/star-wars-episode-7-model-makers-and.html

11. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes, saw that.
    I just don't realize how is building the Falcon or lightsaber hilts making emphasis on practical considering the fact they were always practical.

12. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    The less people they bring back from the prequels the better. I'm not wild about having Doug Chiang & Iain McCaig involved again. Their art never felt like Star Wars to me.

Echo Base, Mange and Dra--- like this.
  13. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I'm not certain I'm seeing any legitimate EP VII concept art here...

[​IMG]

Dra--- and Darth_Articulate like this.
  14. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Amazing find! I'm not as much concerned whether or not there is a falcon in the bottom right pic. There might be, or might not be one there. I can't see it myself lol!

In any case, I'm much more interested in the one where the falcon is obviously there. And I'm Curious to know what it's flying towards. A nebula? An explosion? A gas planet like Bespin? And what about that flying saucer sort of thing? Looks like it could be a good or bad ship. I'm gonna guess its a good guy ship, seeing as it's more circular shaped than triangular like the imperial vessels. (Then again, they did make the Death Star.)

Although I'm also super interested to hear what they are talking about! If I were to guess, I'd say they are talking about either lighting, cinematography, or special effects. Or maybe all of those! Cause the pictures don't exactly share a cohesive theme aside from light and dark pictures.

Or they could just be talking about force powers, cave visions and Geonosis planets. Someone should have filmed them!

Immortiss likes this.
  15. Palpatine2016

Nov 12, 2012
    Likely someone did film them. Might be part of the Blu-ray special features. (Not necessarily this exact moment, but you get the idea):)

16. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Good point. Stuff like this will definitely be in the DVD sets

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  17. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    My humble attempt to introduce some levity. What they are really using for reference in the Episode VII production meetings:
    [​IMG]

18. Palpatine2016

Nov 12, 2012
  19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Their art felt like Star Wars to me. I think they did some brilliant designs... Be it Darth Maul, Trade Federation ships, Naboo fighters, Sith Witches, Podracers, Queen Amidala - quintessential Star Wars for me.

20. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Oh, Doug Chiang is fantastic. I liked him ever since I saw that featurette on Ep 1 DVD.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's something McQuarrie's about these works. :)
    And McCaig made Maul and Amidala, icons of the PT and SW in general.
    I find their return to SW more important than even Kasdan's.

21. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Right on. :)

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That new concept art pic is great. I am now completely on board with the notion that they will only keep one aspect of EU. And it will be Jaxxon.

Granger likes this.
  23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Vote of confidence for Chiang from me as well. Visually, TPM is my favorite of the series. Love that it felt related to what we've seen of Star Wars while still coming across as its own thing, and I think this approach is exactly what is needed for Episode VII. I'll be disappointed if the look of Episode VII is overly dependent on an OT style and unused McQuarrie concepts. That approach will work for Rebels, but assuming Episode VII is set a good while in the future I think the visual design should reflect this new era we're seeing.

24. Palpatine2016

Nov 12, 2012
    This. Combining new with old is what will make the ST work IMO.

Jobertus likes this.
  25. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    I've been saying months ago that JJ only needs a screenshot to keep us well fed. Now we have 8 pages of discussion despite not being sure if we are seing a new concept art or not. Was I right or was I right? Anyway I also hope that the future will look like the future. I really like the Legacy comic series but if the movie creates a new future that has technology actually advancing from ANH level I will be very happy to see Legacy gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.