main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Concept Art Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HegoDamask, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    While I respect your opinion, I totally disagree with it. It felt just as much like Star Wars to me as the OT which came before it. This comes from someone who grew up on the OT in the 80's. IMO, the best option would be for there to be a mixture of aesthetics between the OT, the PT, as well as something unique to the ST, and I think that combination is what we shall get.

2. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Its worth mentioning that the transition from concept art to what we see in the final film is not a pure process; it is affected by everyone from the cinematographer to the model-makers to the director.

Chiang's early work on TPM, for example, was extremely expressive and dramatic in its use of light, angles, and shapes. The final film, despite utilizing mostly the same designs for ships and locations, feels much more reserved and stately in its presentation of those designs. Just google "Doug Chiang Phantom Menace" and you'll see what I mean.

But I think Chiang's work on TPM, if nothing else, is very creatively stimulating to behold; you want to explore more of that universe he drew. That's why I'm glad he's back on, and relating to this thread, that's why I can't wait till we get our hands on more (and less fuzzy) concept art.

3. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I agree 100% with this. Chiang and McCaig seemlessly extended the look and feel of Star Wars because they were tasked with creating new looks for a different era in a familiar universe. Their creative talent achived this. I imagine the ST, set in another era, will have a slightly different feel but also have familiar touchstones aswell. That is one of the exciting things about the ST.

4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
  5. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Doug Chiang was my favorite of the concept artists on the prequels. His stuff is great and reminds me quite a bit of Ralph McQuarrie's work on the OT. As far as the aesthetic goes, I seem to recall Chiang talking about how he originally thought everything would be angular and beat up like in the OT and he was surprised when Lucas directed him in the sleeker, more organic direction.

I actually have a book full of Chiang's work from the mid-90's - it was the first edition of the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, with his illustrations of all the OT ships like the Falcon and the X-Wing, in addition to his renditions of EU ships that hadn't really been seen before in detail. I recommend checking it out.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Dig Dug.

I like Chiang's concept work for TPM and AOTC(He wasn't on ROTS). Same with McCaig's work. All top notch.

7. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Newbie question: who was the main concept artist for ROTS? Are they known to ge back for VII?

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

It was actually a trio: Ryan Church and Erik Tiemens were the main concept designers while Ian McCaig was the overall supervisor. Church and Tiemens went freelance after ROTS(though Tiemens was on the Star Wars "Underworld" tv show as a concept artist for a while).

Redimet and Echo Base like this.
  9. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Concept design supervisor for (including AOTC) ROTS was Ryan Church.
    I can't resist, one of his works :):

[​IMG]

I can't find any articles about his involvement in Ep 7 so I'd guess he won't return.
    He also worked on two J. J.'s Star Trek movies.

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    He could return though as a freelancer. I guess it just depends on his schedule and what the demands are for the project. We still don't know the whole art team yet.

11. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    This has probably already been discussed but approximately how long before filming did we start seeing production art for each of the prequels? (I realise things may be different now with Disney in charge and Abrams' penchant for secrecy but it may give us some idea of roughly when we can expect some more images, if they do decide to follow the methods used in the past.)

12. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    While looking again at this thread it seems that the island in the concept art is Skellig Michael.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CairnsTony and CGI-BOBAFENT like this.
  13. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Is that Luke on the monitor in Empire on Dagobah.

14. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Good catch swcolts1277 !

15. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014

I gotta say, I'm really not a fan of Ryan Church in Star Wars - although I could see an argument for him doing well with Star Trek.
    Everything looks smooth and chrome, there are big red glowy things looking all dramatic, the shapes are simplified and more angular, and even a lens flare on the Star Destroyer's engine.
    I wish him nothing but luck in his career, and I'm eager to see his work in other settings, but his style was a big part of the problem for me (in oh so many nitpicky ways), even when he's trying to hearken to the OT. It'd be a great confidence-booster if I knew he wasn't on the team for Ep7.

nld3 likes this.
  16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Yes. Seeing that Samurai solo Obi-Wan is frustrating too. What could have been.

17. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Totally agree!

18. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Any new concept art to discuss?? Post it here! So nice to catch up on all the speculation involving one fast ship we will see again.

19. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    A recent report from Making Star Wars described some Ep. 7 concept art from Ryan Church.

20. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    There have been so many concept art leaks, yet none of them made it to our original discussion thread. We should all be ashamed.

whostheBossk and CGI-BOBAFENT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.