main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Concern over Carrie's voice

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Wally44, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

So certain are you? Always with you it can not be done.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it wasn't her. But since this is NSA, we can't talk about much beyond that.

At any rate, we have rules against making fun of the actors' ages or appearances. This isn't quite the same, but it is pretty nitpicky and the concerns about her voice could be interpreted as negative statements about her age. Just something to keep in mind.

3. queenofhollywood

queenofhollywood Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2015
    I would never do that, since I refer to her as Her Royal Highness Carrie Fisher (who has a birthday today might I add!). But you have a point and this topic could derail.

Darkslayer and EHT like this.
  4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I think she's going to surprise a lot of people. For reasons I won't rehash here, but expounded upon in the Carrie Fisher thread in 7SA, Carrie gets more flack for aging than Harrison and Mark. A lot of people have expressed "concern" here about her ability to even show up on the set and stand up straight. Seems to escape a lot of folks that Carrie works steadily as an actor and has turned in some great performances in TV, film and stage over the last few recent years even. I think her performance, and even appearance, is going to pleasantly surprise a lot of people who just counted her out.

5. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    To be honest...I haven't thought about it until I saw this thread...so it has become a concern for me too. :p

Hope that she still has her great voice from 38 years ago. [face_praying]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. queenofhollywood

Oct 11, 2015
    Carrie is extremely bright and a wonderful writer too (in my extremely biased opinion). She is amazing and I fangirl. Oh, how I fangirl.

Bail B. Baobab and EHT like this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    She won't. Why would you expect any human being to sound the same at nearly 60 as they did barely out of high school?

8. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Well of course not that good, but a least a bit of it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. queenofhollywood

Oct 11, 2015
    Found something fun for you guys. From our favourite...

It's safe to say her voice is still beautiful.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm a big fan of Carrie, AND even more so-of Leia.

I have been hoping all along that we will see some form of Leia: the Jedi, but I don't know now...we'll see I guess.

One thing I can say is this: There's always that one surprise where a certain character (sometimes minor) that really kind of steals the show, and shines in a unique way throughout the film.

I hope it's Leia!

11. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm not concerned for her voice per say, but she seems to talk like Laverne De Fazio in most of the interviews I've seen in recent years. (Which is ironic since "Shirley Feeney" actually wanted to play Leia!)

12. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Her voice in Return of the Jedi wasn't like it was in New Hope or Empire either. I'm particularly reminded of the scene were Luke tells her they're brother and sister. It already sounds like she's been smoking--and I don't mean cigarettes either.

smoothkaz likes this.
  13. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

*per se - just FYI.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  14. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Well, hey- deathsticks ARE a canonical part of the GFFA :p Maybe their use by the general population spiked after the Battle of Endor? :)

15. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Carrie Fisher seemed fine to me, but then I've gotten use to hearing her over the years.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  16. Sir2lazyThe2nd

Sir2lazyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2015
    Her voice sounded fine in the new movie.

jaqen likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Nothing wrong with Carrie's voice. She sounded like the same old Leia. Definitely older. "It's not the lightyears, it's the parsecs."

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Just as I predicted Carrie sounded fine in this movie; like an older version of Leia should.

Lee_, jaqen, Lazy K and 1 other person like this.
  19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep, she sounded like she was supposed to sound.

It would have been kind of ridiculous if they had dubbed in an 18-year-old princess voice. Her voice needed to match her appearance.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I actually had no problem with her voice. It is fittingly more weathered.