main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Concerning Moderator Edits.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The_Scarlet_Woman, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Scarlet_Woman

The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2005
    I'm not sure if this happens to other users, but going through my post history I came across quite a few moderator edits.

Now, if I have been edited, it's obviously because I said something "inappropriate". However, I've never been contacted by a moderator telling me that my post was edited and why.

How are we supposed to not repeat our mistakes, if we are not told what our mistakes are?

Do we have to constantly check our post history to see if we have been edited?

On a similar note, I received an official warning from a moderator some time ago never to use the word that references a girl in a tub or a certain goat like word.

However, since then I've seen both words used repeatedly.

May I now say "his" and "her" names?

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I PM users after edits only if whatever it was they did was serious enough that if they did it a second time they would absolutely get banned.

We generally make a lot of edits in a day, most of they for small things, like today i have edited out a violent picture that was a little over the line, but not too horrible, and i edited out two PMs from posts. None of these infractions were ban worthy, and none were behaviors i thought that were going to be repeated and earn a ban.

I do PM in cases where i either a. don't think the user had the first clue what they did was inappropriate, but it really was (like overly sexual stuff), or b. to give an official warning to let someone know if the behavior is repeated, they will be banned.

EDIT: errr my point was, using myself as an example, that i dont think any mod actually pms users every time they edit things. So yes, it is up to you to some degree.

3. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    So the edits that aren't communicated to the user won't be part of the "user history" right?

Because I believe "user history" has a lot to do with length of bannings, etc.

4. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Actually, all edits are supposed to be put in the user notes, at least in JCC. It allows us to have a more complete picture of the user's "bad behavior" to see if the edits are random isolated incidents, or a fequent thing that doesn't seem to be changing at all.

If you are edited for any reason, it could be in your history. You can always PM a mod and request to see your notes, you know. You could do that weekly, for all i care, so that you could constantly be "up to date." (theoretically, there isn't any rule agains that yet, unless it turns into harassment or something)

Small things don't have a large impact on bannings, but sometimes they do factor in. Say I edit out "Well excuse me for answering the question, it's not my fault you're a totally clueless idiot." That would get edited pretty much no matter what. But for a brand new user, I'd PM them to remind them about the rules of the forum (and note it). For a regular with clean notes, I'd note it, and not ban, because it was an isolated incident. For a user who was just banned for a similar thing a few weeks ago, instant ban. For a user who hasn't been banned in awhile but has 2 or 3 notes of similar catty behavior over the last month, I would ban... and that is the case you are specifically asking about. And yes, it does happen.

The thing that is hard about bans is that the severity of the ban doesn't always have to do with the "horribleness" of the post. History is always taken into account. So you can get a 3 month ban for calling someone a "clueless idiot" if you have the history. This is not moderator bias, this is not unfair... the user has worked them selves up to that point. Bans should always increase in length (unless it's been a really long time since the last one)

5. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Well, I do think you edited various posts of mine that was overly sexual. It entered my usernotes, but you never contacted me about them.

My first banning was for 3 days.

My second banning was for 5 days.

Is this usual?

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    When a mod edits, they usually put why they edited into the thread.

So if you're a "fire and forget" kinda gal, then you won't ever learn.

7. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    o_O

I never forget.

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

Is this usual?

Depending on the situation, yes. If you've been edited quite a few times or outright flamed someone after being warned and edited 3 days is about the norm. Bannings afterwards normally are accumualtive, unless there's a long time between offenses or user note incidents. The MS is usually consulted before issuing a banning of a week or over, just to make sure there is no bias or a knee-jerk reaction.

9. droideka27

May 28, 2002

Is this usual?

the progression from 3 to 5 days is absolutely normal. Maybe even a bit nice.

And the reason you got 3 days for your first ban was pretty darn clear, IMO. Even if you hadn't ever been edited prior to that "Act," I think you still would have gotten 3 days. If you want more detail, you can PM me.

10. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    I've only been warned twice - concerning referencing "girl in the tub", and posting pictures.

Neither of my bannings had anything to do with these warnings.

11. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    But they were both pretty obvious as to why you were banned. Besides, after finding yourself banned, it's a good idea to check your recent posts, or send in an unban request asking why you were banned. It's only if you disagree with the reason given that you have anything to argue about.

At any rate, comms really isn't the place for discussion of your personal history, that should be confined to PMs between you and the admins (for complaints)

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Any edit that's serious, the user usually knows why they were edited. But just in case they don't, I PM them. Every action I ever take against a user, no matter how small, I add to their admin notes. Most edits nowadays are locked threads and we explain either in the first post or last post why we're locking it.

13. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    I agree.

Maybe some of the other moderators and users of this site can answer some of the original questions I asked in this thread concerning moderator edits and the use of certain words.

14. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    When I edit a post I usually say why or assume the User knows. I only PM them when it's serious.

However if I don't PM a User, that doesn't stop them from PMing me. I am more then happy to explain why I did what I did if asked.

:)

15. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    ^ Agreed.

It should also be noted that, for minor violations, I have also PM'd the user and asked them to edit it themselves. This was done as being informative, to let them know it's against ToS and/or CoC. That is assuming, of course, it was still within the limits of them being able to make the edit.

Also, as has been stated quite a few times throughout Comms previously, you can always PM a Moderator prior to posting something, to ask if it would violate either and potentially earn an edit or ban.

16. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Now, if I have been edited, it's obviously because I said something "inappropriate". Not always, but typically. In the movie forum, for instance, any bootleg discussion or pics are edited. I guess that's inappropriate.

However, I've never been contacted by a moderator telling me that my post was edited and why.
    We can't contact everyone for every action we take. We just cannot do this. If it's serious, we let you know. Just know that if you're not contacted, more than likely the offense was small. Know that it was added to your admin notes. If you start seeing a lot of edits without a PM, you're accumulating a book in your notes and it's time for us to contact you or you contact us, and you to change your behavior.

How are we supposed to not repeat our mistakes, if we are not told what our mistakes are?
    If it' big, we'll let you know. Just don't attack people, don't cuss, check existing threads before starting new one's, don't bait and flame and you should't ever have a problem. There are thousands upon thousands of users here for a short time and long time who understand all of our rules are easy and common sense and have nothing in their notes whatsoever.

Do we have to constantly check our post history to see if we have been edited?
    No, but if you think you're a problem user you just might want to. Or if something feels a little mean or inappropriate when you post it, don't post it. If you do, you might want to change your ways or perhaps check in later to see what was edited. If it was and you weren't contacted, we consider it minor. Keep doing it day after day and you'll be banned.

On a similar note, I received an official warning from a moderator some time ago never to use the word that references a girl in a tub or a certain goat like word.
    Good, that is wholly inappropriate for a Star Wars messageboard, don't you think? Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's appropriate for all sites on the Internet.

May I now say "his" and "her" names?
    No, but you may share with me. We are not going to air dirty laundry in Comms. Ever want clarity on any subject about anything on the boards, come to me if you feel you're confused from another mod's answers.

17. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Thanks. :)

So, in other words, there is no general policy.

If the individual moderator chooses not to inform the user, then it's up to the user to find out?

So it basically depends on the kindness of the moderator?

I wish we could choose who gets to moderate us. :p - Edit: Pipe dream.

Thanks. :)

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If I edit a user's post or lock a thread, I will usually say why in the post or thread. However, normally my edits outside of Collecting are for real obvious things like spamvertisers, or if I get a complaint from a user about a problem when the user can't find a mod from that forum. In any event there is usually an entry in the offending user's notes as well.

19. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    In my book if the edit is going into the usernotes then I'll make sure the user knows why I made an edit. As a personal rule, if I don't contact the user then I didn't put the edit in the usernotes - typically that'll be for a minor thing such as editing a * into wt*, or locking a redundant thread.

As far as referencing various internet 'legends' - I typically edit them out and warn. In my book its the same as referencing a gross sexual act - ie the younger users might not know what you are talking about, but there's no place on the JC for comments like that. Especially considering that a quick google image search will reveal what you are talking about, and I'd rather not have the JC being source of such imagery.

Remember however, that the JC is moderated by 40 or so individuals, and from time to time there will be inconsistencies.

Regarding your initial ban - from reviewing your notes it was something that perhaps required more than the conventional 24 spank.

20. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    :p

I know.

:p

Anyway, thank you to all that responded in a kind way. :)

21. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    You wouldn't want them to take offense.

[face_worried]

They're registered here y'know. [face_shhh]

*cough*usersearch*cough*

22. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    the progression from 3 to 5 days is absolutely normal. Maybe even a bit nice.

A bit nice? You aren't a drill sergeant court martialing people you're moderating a Star Wars message board. :p

23. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    As it's been said, it's really up to the moderator to warn as user via PM. Technically, they aren't required to, however, I personally think it's a good idea. Some mods only do it for serious situations, some do it all the time, some never do it. I've been banned for months before without even a valid reason given in the original post, much less a warning via PM. I think a warning through PM is necessary because most normal people never backtrack old posts.

24. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I think for really minor issues like editing wt*'s and the such, a pm isn't needed. But like flaming, baiting, posting inappropiate pictures, I think a PM should be sent. It informs users that they posted something inappropiate and know not to do it again. If the next time they commit a similiar act you know the user is aware the posted something they shouldn't, and accordingly should be banned.

25. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Since the topic of user notes was brought up I have a question to ask, are user notes available to be reviewed by the user? Meaning can I look at my own user notes, and if not why?

I ask because I have been told no (granted it was not by anyone currently a admin, manager, or mod), but I have seen various users throughout the time I have been here posting parts of their user notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.