main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Concerning Moderator Edits.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The_Scarlet_Woman, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    You might try this thread. :) But yes you may see them - just ask a mod to show them to you. However if they enter any form of discussion (PM to other users, posting, etc.) action will be taken.

Hope that helps!

2. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I personally respect an approach that is professional in nature when it comes to editing and PMing. I don't think overemotive editing is beneficial to the moderator or the individual involved.

Be a good cop.

:)

3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    :oops: Sorry I did not even see that, thanks DV.

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Not a problem. :)

5. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Just curious but are user notes permanent or are they deleted after a certain amount of time, i.e. if when you first joined the boards you were a little out of line and had user notes added but over time you became a good poster and member of the forums do your user notes still stand as such or is the slate wiped clean?

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    They're permanent.

7. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
  8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Don't I know it :(

9. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    Not accusing anyone malkie, but it was one of the reasons I asked, in the cases of mods etc.

10. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    MJS: I think for really minor issues like editing wt*'s and the such, a pm isn't needed. But like flaming, baiting, posting inappropiate pictures, I think a PM should be sent.

If it's a user that has not had to be contacted prior due to offenses of that nature, it's generally a good idea. If it's a user that you know has repeated this behavior numerous times, they should know not to without being contacted on it. It's a judgement call on the Moderators part.

Despised1: but I have seen various users throughout the time I have been here posting parts of their user notes.

As a side note, and has been stated in the other thread, posting your notes is not allowed. Keep in mind that getting those notes is a privilege that can be revoked by the Administration if abused.

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Since a thread on user notes in Comms has been created, let's keep this thread focused on moderator edits. Thanks. :)

12. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I have a question. To what extent can moderators edit comments?

For instance, I posted this at the end of one of my posts: unlike the plastic, CGI crappiness of the PT which was edited.

It does not break any of the TOS so since when can mods be the thought police?

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Before you drag this one instance into Comms, why don't you finish the PM conversation you have with the moderator in question, and if he doesn't give you a satisfying answer, take it to an admin?

The TOS does say that we can edit/ remove whatever we want - but we're always nice enough not to do it randomly.
    You sure look innocent enough out of context - however, it should be noted that the comment was made in the Classic Trilogy forum in a thread about ANH's quality that mentioned a few side comparisons to the prequels, and thusly is certainly unnecessary almost-out-of-nowhere bashing. It has nothing to do with "thought police" (wow, didn't hear that one in some time now). The edit is also not surprising seeing how I edited a few posts before that for (almost completely) the exact same reason.

It's not like I just invented a no-bashing-rule for one thread...

14. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Our policy is pretty clear that outright bashing isn't allowed. Sharing a negative thought on an issue is one thing; outright saying "THAT SUCKS!!!111one" is another.

15. The_Scarlet_Woman

The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2005
    Nice to see moderators explaining their actions in such a civil and kind way.

But I guess that kind of comment would belong in a different thread, maybe one called:

"Can moderators please treat people with respect?".

This may seem off topic, but after reading the two responses, I just had to say something. :)

16. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Doesn't seem like either of the two previous moderators treated that user disrespectfully. The question was answered along with relevant information as well as examples.

17. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Before you drag this one instance into Comms,
    Drag?

You sure look innocent enough out of context
    i.e. "You're guilty of something."

(wow, didn't hear that one in some time now).
    Wow?

He could have sent this user a PM too, instead of reprimanding him in public. It might make other users decide against asking valid questions in Comms if moderators respond like this. :)

"THAT SUCKS!!!111one"
    Did he say that? Why use netspeak in Comms?

Just replying to your post. :)

18. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    And this involves you how?

19. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Scarlet - that's not really disrespectful, it's an honest response. Just because a mod doesn't use a lot of smilies and is blunt with their answers doesn't mean they're being "mean."

He could have sent this user a PM too, instead of reprimanding him in public.

And if you'd read the moderator's response you would have seen that they were corresponding via PM but the user came in here to stir up drama. I don't think "thought police" is respectful either, yet I don't see you reprimanding the user for being rude.

20. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Stir up drama? Maybe he had a legitimate complaint? Maybe he didn't realize he could contact an admin?

Look, is it too much to ask for users to be treated with respect instead of being talked down to?

What is the purpose of Comms if it is not to address these kinds of matters?

In my opinion, he came to the right place. Other people go into other forums to "stir up drama" with moderators. Why accuse him of "stirring up drama" when he is just asking a question?

Isn't that a little insulting?

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree with Katya. The user felt the need to bring his complaint to Comms. That opened up the discussion here. Anytime something like this is brought to Communications for clarification/debate, the administration generally takes the stance that this is the last step in searching for clarification of a given issue. In other words, you've done the PM discussion with a Mod, now you want it opened up for debate with the administration. It's open discussion then.

22. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Legitimate complaints are fine, but that was not your original issue. You were felt the two mods didn't treat him with "respect". I answered your question from my standpoint.

Again, each user has a perception of how they're being "spoken to." Twilek was blunt but not disrespectful. ousley simply used an example in his post.

Is is to address these matters. I never said Comms shouldn't be to discuss questions. The point is that you stepped in to be hawk's personal advocate regarding his treatment - not to contribute to the question but to reprimand the moderators for how you viewed they treated this user. Being a former member of the "team", I answered from my standpoint. Just as you gave your opinion...I gave mine.

From both hawk and Twilek's posts it seems that hawk's question was, indeed, being answered via PM by either Twilek or another moderator yet he came here and accused the mods of being 'thought police.' He has every right to ask a question. The point that you made was that he was being treated poorly. My point was that he wasn't exactly polite in the first place.

It's also insulting that the mods are expected to take all manner of abuses via PM and in public but when they aren't the pinnacle of "nice" they are accused of being disrespectful and not caring about the users which simply isn't true.

23. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    This is a thread I started, therefore I felt that I could express my opinion. I am not hawk's personal advocate, I know nothing about the specifics of the "case". If I may equate this to a teacher/student type analogy, just because the student doesn't behave in a respectful way, this does not mean that the teacher should act the same way. Also take into account the different ages of users that are members here.

Again, this site chooses to welcome people of all ages (13 and up) and of all maturity levels as long as they obey the rules. This does not mean that those in positions of authority should feel free to treat people disrepectfully. In my opinion.

For example, you have taken the time to very respectfully answer my concerns, and I appreciate that.

24. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    You also need to see Hawk's comments in context to the discussion to understand why he was edited.

25. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    I know, but I believe we don't discuss individual cases in here. :p

Which leads me back to the original issue - I'm sure TwiLekJedi has his valid points, but the reason why I jumped on this is because Hawk asked his question very respectfully, and in turn was talked down to.

The Thought Police part?

Well, I can't say I don't agree with that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.