main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Concerning Moderator Edits.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The_Scarlet_Woman, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Woah. No need for personal attacks, mods. tSW is doing absolutely nothing wrong here. She isn't starting a crusade, and she certainly isn't becoming anyone's "personal advocate". I realize that mods and ex-mods tend to stay in formation. When one opinion is said, the others tend to follow along with that. Understandable, but there certainly isn't anything wrong with listening to the member's personal opinions. It's okay to stand your ground, that's encouraged, but when changes need to be made or at open-mindedly discussed, the MS should open-mindedly go into the discussion. Hell, I've made plenty of my own threads and jumped into plenty of discussions where the mods were simply so brain dead, they wouldn't consider (and sometimes much less read) the opposing side of the story. tSW isn't attacking your "leadership", and she certainly isn't a threat to you. She's a good member who's simply holding on a good discussion. Embrace that. You won't get many users like that. I realize many of you know the site quite well. Respectable and well acknowledged, however, that doesen't automatically make the community's view obsolete.

A mod on this site years ago once said "I'm no one special, I'm just a member who has decided to help the site to a further degree." You're respectable for volunteering, ladies and gentlemen, don't ruin the outside splendor.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I realize that mods and ex-mods tend to stay in formation. When one opinion is said, the others tend to follow along with that

So is that why former moderators have often clashed with the current administration (throughout the JC's history)? If there's a problem with a moderator or the administration, former moderators don't often have any trouble pointing it out.

3. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Were former moderators as closely aligned as the current squad - before, during, and after their stints?

More on-topic: I've just found from seeing my usernotes about an edit on one of my posts that I didn't know had been edited, for saying "Jesus". I can't PM the mod, as the thread's been deleted and I don't know who did the edit. Is there any way I can clear this up?

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Just my two cents, but if it's an edit that was done a while back (March from the looks of things) and the thread is deleted there's probably not much to talk about. ;)

5. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    I was just wondering how I broke TOS by saying Jesus. It's not worth starting a thread over, but I can't find out the usual way, and it raises the issue of what to do in such circumstances.
    It did make it into my notes, and malkie said before:

I wasn't contacted.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Woah. No need for personal attacks, mods. tSW is doing absolutely nothing wrong here.

I'm sorry. I'm not seeing any personal attacks to either Scarlett, or Hawk. The only thing that could be described as an insult is the term "thought police". I'd just ask that we keep things in perspective, here. Unless I missed something, then, by all means point out the personal attack(s).

7. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I was just wondering how I broke TOS by saying Jesus.

You're not allowed to say Jesus unless you're actually mentioning him.[face_plain]

8. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Well it depends on the context, but generally speaking if it's said in a way that could be taken as improper use or as an exclamation it should be edited. Not knowing the actual context of the original post I can't vouch for the action taken in this case, though I'm sure that it would not have been edited unless used improperly.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Basically what that quote says, yes. :)

9. The_Scarlet_Woman

The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2005
  10. Darth_Daver

Jan 23, 2005
    Oh my God!:p

It's Jesus, lol is OK though, right?

11. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Yup!

12. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    Two parter: 1) What was the context in which it was used, and 2) can you link to it?

13. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Um. Jesus is a common name in Spain and South America. :confused:

14. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    True, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the concept of improper usage though. :)

15. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Do all religions have the same protection of religious figures on this site?

16. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    We're talking about the allowed use of certain words, which can be determined though the acceptable/unacceptable word lists.

17. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Do you have a link?

18. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I thought you might ask - there is a good (and current as far as I know) list in this JCC thread. :)

Hope that helps!

19. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    I remember that thread. :p

I don't see Jesus listed.

20. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Hmm, it seems as though it's not as current as I thought. [face_thinking] Let me dig up the list from MS real quick.

EDIT:

Allowable:

Hell
    Damn
    Douche (when not being used as an insult)
    Crap
    Ass / Arse and derivatives (when not being used as an insult at a person)
    Bitch (true dictionary definition and verb useage)
    Bastard (dictionary definition and some verb useage)
    Penis / Vagina / any proper term for genetalia (only in a sheer biological sense and discussion)

Not Allowed:

Pr**k (except when used as a proper noun or a verb)
    Wan**r / W**k / Wa**ing
    To**er
    **** / ****ing / ****ed (and any term / acronym that implies it)
    ***t
    Tw*t
    Retarded (when directed at someone of something - demeaning)
    Ni**er / Ch**k / G**k / ***n / Cr**ker (any racial slur)
    Gay / G**y / H*mo / D*ke (used in derogitory fashion)
    F*g / ***got (when used in a derogatory fashion)
    **** / ****e (also POS for 'piece of ****')
    ***k
    Pu**y (when referring to anything other than in the feline sense)
    B**ch (referencing a person) (also Bee-y**ch, or Bi-o**h, or B**chslap)
    Son of a B**ch (or it's acronym)
    B***ard (when used as an insult to any person)
    Sl*t / Wh*re / Ho
    As**ole / Ar**hole
    God d**n / Godd**nit
    Jesus Christ (when not referring to Jesus himself)

21. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Oh my eyes, my eyes. :p

Kidding.

Thanks. :)

So is there a thread where we can put our requests for certain words not to be used with a rational, logical explanation?

I have this thing about certain words I see used all the time that just really get under my skin.

It will give you guys something to discuss other than problem users. :D

Edit: so people shouldn't really be using the phrase "Attention Whore" right?

Please don't ban me for asking that question. [face_praying]

22. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    "THAT SUCKS!!!111one"
    Did he say that? Why use netspeak in Comms?

I did that because it was a general example that characterized senseless bashing of the prequels. As I said, I have no problem with someone who maturely explains why they don't like something about the prequels. However, when someone says (as in this specific case) "It comes across as a REAL alien planet unlike the plastic, CGI crappiness of the PT," there is a problem.

If the user had said "It comes across as a REAL alien planet, which is something that I didn't feel was captured as well in the prequels as in the originals because of the technology used to create the scenes," it would have been fine (most likely - I don't know the exact thread that said comment was posted in).

See the difference?

23. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    So although the word "crap" is allowed, when referring to the PT it is not.

Wow.

Edit: I mean Wow. Hey - it comes to close to Orwellian tones here.

24. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Context is everything - specific questions related to usage of words in certain forums should be directed to the manager of that area.

Nope - that would be the type of thing you'd probably want to PM and admin about. :)

25. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Context

The anti-PT comments were not necessary, especially in that post and that thread. It has nothing to do with the word "crap" and everything to do with the fact that he called the prequels "crappy" with no real reason other than to get a bash in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.