main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Concerning Moderator Edits.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The_Scarlet_Woman, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I mean Wow. Hey - it comes to close to Orwellian tones here.

And please, again, let's get some perspective here. We are on a privately owned message board. Orwellian? I, and I'm sure every moderator/administrator that I am associated with, try to keep this place family friendly, enjoyable and well-run, and at the same time interact and have fun with our fellow posters. That's it. This isn't some government of a small country we're talking about here. There is no agenda to take away anyone's "rights" as a poster, even if we were in a democratic type situation.

2. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Before you drag this one instance into Comms, why don't you finish the PM conversation you have with the moderator in question, and if he doesn't give you a satisfying answer, take it to an admin?

I did but you didn't respond to my PM seriously. After asking you whether bashing posts were allowed you responded with a [face_laugh] smilie. I just wanted to work out what was allowed and you clearly had no intention of working with me at all.

Secondly, since when is bashing not allowed? Always has been before.

And, no, I am not trying to stir up trouble. I was just wondering, that's all.

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Bashing isn't meant to be allowed. Criticism, complaints, no problem...have a field day, so long as you're not insulting other users in doing so.

'Bashing' was coined to describe the kind of knee-jerk trolling, spamming and flamebait which would do stuff like interrupt a conversation about, say, Anakin's lightsabre skills with comments like "It doesn't matter, all the lightsabre fights in the PT suck anyway." That true drive-by bashing.

Problem is, as with 'gusher', basher became like a badge of honour for some and took on a different meaning to them. Something to be proud of. And on the flipside, there are a few hardcore gusher types that end up going overboard with their praise/defence and end up flaming & trolling themsleves.

Going on a tangent here, try to stay with me... :p

Anyone with a bit of knowledge about British political parties will have heard of the Conservative Party, often called "The Tories". The members have embraced the title for hundreds of years, and you'll often hear someone say that they are a "proud Tory". Thing is, it's originally an insult. A "Tory" was an slang insult for an Irish thief (they weren't exactly too PC in the 17th Century), and was used to deride the fledgling Conservative Party. Over the years the Conservatives became so associated with the term that they just took on the title as a nickname, and ultimately over the years everyone forgot about the original meaning and just thought it was intended from that start.

Back from the rambling tangent...

So I'd say that bashing, in its true and original definition, should definitely get stamped on and stamped out.

And by the way, Basher and Gusher are surely two of the most idiotic and silly descriptions for a group of fans in existance. Even 'Brown Coats' sounds about a million times better, which I know EV will kick me for.

4. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Thanks, that's a good response. In other words, bashing is ok depending on how you define the bashing. ;)

As it stands, it isn't an issue carrying on about any further.

5. LadyWhilla

LadyWhilla Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Seeing as this was brought up, I'm curious as to the rationale behind allowing 'Oh my God!' and not allowing Jesus' name like say 'Oh Jesus!'. Or is 'oh Jesus!' allowed but not when it's 'oh Jesus Christ!'?

Do you determine that in the context of the message or is it absolutely strictly not allowed?

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I have to say I find it remarkable that using "Jesus" as a term of shock as we so often to in real life is forbidden but we can say "Oh my god". Although I'm not religious in any sense of the word and as result find neither of them offensive I do find the lack of parity between the words to be astonishing considering who and what the words refer to.

This is not an attempt to bash so please don't take it that way but is the tenderfooting around the word "Jesus" purely due to the fact that it may offend a small proportion of people or because this board is based in America and the US has quite a strong religious leaning?

I understand the issues about swearwords and I agree as it will offend a far greater number of people, but the banning of using the word "Jesus" as a statement of shock (as it normally is) really does surprise me or do you look at the context it's used in (Senate, Amph and religious discussions aside).

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't think anyone has been banned when using the term "Jesus" to describe shock. Edited, yes. Warned, maybe. But not banned, unless the User has a history of other language offenses.

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    unless I'm gravely mistaken, the only actual reason for the Jesus rule was the owner who told us to watch it

I don't understand it either and am in no way religious (and if I were, it'd be islamic...) but I've edited it when I spotted it (and sometimes I don't).

Personally, I don't care. But then again, I'm all for calling "Winter Holidays" Christmas again...

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree. Some people just take this the wrong way. Just because one celebrates Christmas doesen't in any way mean they're celebrating the birth of Jesus. I, personally, celebrate it as simply a merry holiday and absolutely nothing else. However, I guess we have to call it "the holidays" so the minority doesen't whine.

10. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Like Senny said, it's also worth noting that the list of "bad" words is ultimately controlled by the owners of TFN. It's their board system so if they want something edited on their forums we are to follow through with that. :)

Just making note.

11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    An American thing then. But purely board owners enforced.

Makes sense now Cheers.

12. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005

1) Don't think I've seen it used here
    2) You did ask:

[image=http://blueinferno.org/b/jesus_lol.jpg]

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    OMG Jesus! LOL!

14. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Was that pic in a 3SA thread?

15. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    Forgive my ignorance, as it were, Daver... but if you never saw it used here, then I'm assuming you were asking if it were something that might be allowable, am I correct in this?

I initially thought you might have seen something on the forum that might be questionable, and thus the reason I asked if you could link to it (the post or thread).

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Which is kind of funny, because I've seen Raghead, Towelhead, Japs(believe it or not,the way it's used is usually an insult), and all types of other words that offend people go unedited.

Everytime I've seen these slurs, I've PMed mods. In most cases, the slurs have been edited. It would be nice if they didn't get to last to a point were an edit had to be requested though.

17. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Double post, sorry :(

18. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    DamonD Bashing isn't meant to be allowed. Criticism, complaints, no problem...have a field day, so long as you're not insulting other users in doing so.

If the user insulted the group is the group allow to ask to the mods to edit the post?

What is the law in the JC is a group from other website comes in here copied and pasted a thread in their website and used the link or links to make fun of a group? I saw in a website some links from the JC. [face_plain] A user from that website came in here and insulted a group and was banned by a mod.

19. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Yes, that's right. I was just wondering if His name may be used in an irreverent manner, if not as an exclamation.

20. Kavic_Toth

Aug 9, 2002
    Any type of racial slur like that is not allowed. If it's hanging around, the best option is to PM a Mod and let them know so it can be edited out. And yes, it would be nice if some things didn't hang around for a little bit, but not everything gets seen all the time. Some things slip past us Mods from time to time. We are only human.

Daver, while I can see where some people might find it humorous, I would think that with the current board policy, it would not be considered 'appropriate'. But that's my interpretation of the rule, I'd hope an Admin would correct me if I were wrong in that.

Edit: Typo

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I just like to post that I agree with Kavic. Stuff like that is not allowed here. If it perhaps has gone unedited I think it can be safely said that it was missed by a mod. After all, we cannot read every word in every forum within minutes. We need users alerting us to problems as well.

22. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Just to back up Strilo's point - we have around 45 mods, and we get on average 11,000 posts a day. We do our best to cover all posts, but occasionally things will be missed.

Even if a mod posts in a thread doesn't mean to say they've read through every single post first.

PMs of things that need attention are always warmly received.

23. Kavic_Toth

Aug 9, 2002
    My apologies your question was skipped over, Pattybo.

If a user is coming into a group thread for no other reason than to post "this group sucks" or the like, it is trolling, plain and simple. The general rule of thumb for users is that if you do not like the group, don't go there and post. So yes, as a trolling, it is well within the groups rights to ask a Mod to take a look at the posts and possibly edit and ban the offending user.

What happens offsite is, unfortunately, not something we can control. However, if a user is posting a link to something along those lines, that could warrant an edit and possibly a ban. Especially if the link takes over to something that would be considered inappropriate under the ToS.

If you have a concern over an incident you've seen, feel free to PM me.

24. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Tahnk you Kavic_Toth I PM you about the incident and sincerely is really confusing.

What happens offsite is, unfortunately, not something we can control. However, if a user is posting a link to something along those lines, that could warrant an edit and possibly a ban. Especially if the link takes over to something that would be considered inappropriate under the ToS. I will e-mail the main website about the links. I read their rules about using links on their website for going after a person or group. [face_plain] They can't because they are going against the TOS from that website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.