main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question Concerning names of star wars clothing (in-universe)

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by twowolves, Oct 6, 2013.

1. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    I have a question I have been trying to get answered for a long time, and have been unable to answer it to my satisfaction. I'm hoping I can get it answered here.

Twi'lek women are generally shown wearing a leather head band in the movies and series, and only very rarely do you see their heads bare (in the comic books and such). What is the name of that leather garment? What is its cultural and social significance? I'm wondering if Twi'leks consider it indecent for females of their species to not wear one in public.

I've even written to Leeland Chee, but got no response on this, and I'm guessing it's something like a bra for women, to help restrain the lekku to some degree, as well as denote some social standing with the greater elaborateness of it, or perhaps display family/clan symbols.

I write fan fiction, and surprisingly, this came up, so I have taken to calling it a cha'andar, a name of my own creation, and treat it similar to a bra, where the character is embarrassed by the indecent behavior of another Twi'lek woman not wearing one in public.

Please help!

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome twowolves! :)

I have no idea how it is called, but this is WNU (a place for welcomes and general help), so it's not the best place to ask this very specific question. I would suggest to visit SW Community (SWC) and/or EU Community (EUC). But since you have asked in Saga already and it got moved to Literature, I would wait what they answer before starting another thread (or if you can't wait, speak to the mods of SWC and EUC first - it's not good to start the same thread at various places in a very short time).

Good luck with your research! :)

3. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013

Sorry! lol I sort of figured it out only AFTER making this first post, which is why I posted it to Saga, too, figuring I might have better luck there. Total noob move, I know. Thank you for the welcome, though! I look forward to being a part of this community!

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    No problem. Although it's good that you explained it. :)

Have a nice stay and ask if you have questions. :)

5. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Welcome, twowolves!

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers to your questions, but you might try posting your questions in the FanFic Writer's Resource thread over in the Fanfiction section of the boards.