main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Conclusion date for NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xanakh, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xanakh

Xanakh Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    I remember reading somewhere that the NJO would span 5 or 6 publishing years.. coulda been more, I can't remember. It was on tf.n somewhere, ages ago.
    Anyone got a more reliable estimate? I'm hoping it ends around Episode III.. that'll be the biggest send off of all time.. huge SW fan parties to see off the movies as we know them (cos for sure, some company in like 20 years is gonna buy the rights in some shady deal and make an endless stream of crappy SW movies) and the greatest war of all time-- the Vong invasion.
    That would be a sweet time to be a Star Wars fan.

2. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Wasn't it stated at one point that NJO would consist of 22 books?

3. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    Hardcover 5 will be out in November 2003.

4. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    JEEEZ! only a year and a half left?!? THAT SUCKS!! I love the NJO.

5. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    The NJO series may end after HC5 but stories drawing from the NJO wouldn't need to....

A year after the Vong were defeated Nom Anor, who survived the destruction of the Vong by hiding on an unknown planet, has recovered enough Spaarti cylinders to clone an army. By blending the Yuzhaan Vong's organic biotechnology along with that of the New Jedi Order's machines he has created a navy of cloaked interceptors and cloaked coralskippers. Using tissue samples of Tsavong Lah he recovered on Duro and pieces of YVH-droids he has created an army of seemingly unstoppable warriors. All of which are under his command. The New Jedi Order meanwhile is being threatend by a new order of Sith, one that is growing rapidly. While the New Jedi Order braces for another Sith war Nom Anor decides it is time to strike and the Second Clone Wars begins.

See, it wouldn't be the last of the Vong. Of course this idea would only work with Nom Anor not dieing and the Jedi winning. :D

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That is a possibility but not a likely one as:

Those who hated the Vong won't want them back.
    Those who hated the bringing back of the Empire in Bantam will probably not be impressed by the Resurrection Of The Vong.
    Those fans who liked NJO for its radical change will not be happy as having the Vong come back cheapens NJO's 'uniqueness'.

If anything is needed, it is a Tales book that takes care of those irritating holes in the story. A Prequel version would not be a bad idea either. Each includes ebooks too. The book would take care of all those Q's:

What happened after Ithor and before HT? How did the NR turn victory into defeat? How was Eclipse established? What happened between the fall of Duro and EOV1? DR has finally figured out that having a gap after a cliffhanger really irritates thus DJ follows on from SBS. A Tales book would address the earlier errors. If you look at both Ruin and Balance Point the stories demand a follow on that is immediate, not two months down the road. (VP did not.)

And yes, the NJO ends November 2003.

Just as well because a bit of time spent restoring the galaxy after the Vong depredations would be good, given what we're going to see in Episode III.

Jedi Ben

7. Olmahk_DeathCommando

Olmahk_DeathCommando Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2001
    The whole theme of the Star Wars saga, both orignial stuff and EU, has always been the Rebels/New Republic struggling against an opressive, or seemingly dominating foe. I guess the Rogue Sqaudron series wasnt really this way, but for the most part, thats what Star Wars is all about. Does it always have to be that way? When NJO first came out, I heard a lot of people saying they were tired of teh old plot of Rebels/New Republic vs. Empire. Whouldnt it be a change to see the New Republic completely overthrown once? Not only overthrown, but utterly destroyed. Maybe this will happen in NJO. I havent read SbS or DJ, and i think it already has in those books, but the theme would seem a little reptitive to me if the Vong regrouped and fought another war. It would start a whole new cycle of the same plot: instead of the New Republic vs. the Empire, it would be the Vong vs. New Republic. Just a few thoughts to consider pertaining to after NJO.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How would that be different though?

It's still Rebels v. big galactic foe.

As for the Republic being destroyed, I think not. Since that'll happen in the Prequels I doubt LFL will let anything too similar happen elsewhere.

Jedi Ben

9. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    What I've read would suggest otherwise.

10. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I highly doubt the NJO will see the elemination of the Vong, that is unless they all defect, which is completly possible if we prove there gods aint real.

11. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    What I like to see is an epilogue-type book after HC#5. It would be divided up into sections, like in Shield of Lies, that would tell a little about each character after the events of HC#5. That would be cool.

12. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Almost like ministories? Good idea

13. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    There will be 19 books, not 22.

14. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001
    Hey Nitro29, this is exactly what i wrote to Del Rey. I told them all about the great series of "Tales From (Of)" books. (as if they didn't know) and i told them how wonderful it would be to have a "Tales of the New Jedi Order" With small stories and or anecdotes about the lives of our heroes (and enimies a la "Tales of the Yuuzhan Vong") and the struggle they faced. There is enormous potential there and i truly hope it is taken advantage of. It would be a shame to just have the series end...I for one, love it.

15. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    Boy have they shortened the schedule. The original schedule had the last books out around the time of episode III, which lead me to hope that Luke and Leia would learn about their mother...but I guess that isn't going to happen now. :(

Obviously I haven't paid enough attention to well-in-the-future-releases schedule like I should have.

16. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    There will be 19 books, not 22.

Vector Prime 1
    Onslaught 2
    Ruin 3
    Hero's Trial 4
    Jedi Eclipse 5
    Balance Point 6
    Conquest 7
    Rebirth 8
    Star by Star 9
    Dark Journey 10
    Rebel Dream 11
    Rebel whatever 12
    Traitor 13
    Destiny's Way 14
    Force Heretic 15-17
    Paperback 18
    #5 19

BUT --

Recovery 20 (an eBook definitely counts as a book)
    Emissary of the Void 21 (completed it's around the length of Recovery I think)

17. Abix

Abix Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    As to the number of books:
    There will be as many as H.E. wants made

As to when they will come out:
    They will come out when H.E. is done with them

That is all from your local G.O.D. and S.U.P.E.R.I.O.R.

18. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    How do we know that the New Republic is going to "win", per se? What if the NR manages to build up a fleet/army and hold the Vong back, but doesn't have enough strength to drive them from the galaxy altogether? Maybe there will be no conclusion, and the two sides will be locked in perpetual struggle...

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The problem is that:

DR have always said NJO is a preplanned arc, irrespective of debate on that score, that means there must be a decisive end.

Also, given all the Vong have done: people will howl blue murder if they do not get it and are gotten rid of.

Further, if the Vong were kept and kept returning they would come to have the same accusation as those plots of Bantam/DHC's: The Empire/Dark Jedi/Dead Characters plots being used all the time, which NJO was supposed to be a departure from. Keep the Vong in and the response will end up as: 'It's the Vong again.' Likely the same people who moaned about the Empire & Dark Jedi will bemoan the Vong's usage. However, the Dark Jedi plot was really done by DE/JAT and the Empire taken care of in HOT. Do the same to the Vong, take them out on a high and the problem will not arise.

On a different point: IATDS, what is Emissary Of The Void?

As for the scheduling, where was it said NJO would last until 2005? The first I heard of NJO was that VP was the first book in a series to be published over 5 years thus: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003.

Jedi Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.