Conduit (a JA/AU fic) - NOW COMPLETE! -- 3 updates: 12/31 and 1/1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Obi-Fan, Nov 6, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jovieve Jedi Master

star 4
  2. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  3. ObiLegolas Jedi Knight

star 3
    up! OBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! Please drop us a line?!!!! At least let us know you are still around?!!! Please?
  4. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  5. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  6. ObiLegolas Jedi Knight

star 3
  7. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  8. ObiLegolas Jedi Knight

star 3
  9. Obi-Fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hmm... School's out for the summer. Guess that means I should get cracking on a new post, huh? :>

Okay... look for a new section by the end of Memorial Day weekend (and a nice LOOOONG one, too)

Thanks for sticking around, all!
    -Obi-Fan
  10. Kaylla_Norn_II Jedi Knight

star 2
    YIPPPPPPIE!!!!!!

I can't wait!!
  11. ObiLegolas Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, hell YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! Yay! She's back!
  12. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  13. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
    up.

can't wait for that new post! :)
  14. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  15. ObiLegolas Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can't wait. I can't wait! New post coming real soon! Whoopee!!!

Up!
  16. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  17. Obi-Fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi, all!

Bleah. I'm not at all happy with this section, I'm afraid. It just seems to go on and on and not really accomplish anything. There's a bit of a cliffhanger at the end, but I plan on starting the next section later this week, so with any luck, in the first few weeks of June, there'll be another post up. Can you imagine that? Two sections of this fic up WITHOUT the five month wait in between. Wooo, scary!!!!

Enjoy!!!
    -OF

=====

"Dispatch, package delivered to A14 Imp Corridor West."

"Acknowledged, 24. Twenty-six, status report?"

"In transit, Dispatch. Estimated arrival at oh-one-five."

"Central, did you catch that?"

"Loud and clear, Dispatch. Package ready for transport on the south docking port."

Qui-Gon silenced his commlink with a tap of his thumb and slid it back into his tool belt. The short dialogue was indistinguishable from the usual flood of comm traffic filling Coruscant's atmosphere, but it told him everything he needed to know--the other teams were in place. He glanced back at the small group of sentients seated with him in the back of a large delivery transport and allowed himself a faint smile at the looks of cool determination that greeted him.

"We're ready," he announced to the members of his team. "Give the signal to move out."

The leader of Qui-Gon's team, a sturdily built human male by the name of Panaka, rapped on the metal panel between the transport cabin and the driver's compartment. Moments later, the aircar engine roared to life and the transport was on its way.

The plan Finis Valorum had outlined for the Qui-Gon and Mace had been a masterpiece of solid planning and unbelievable patience. For nearly four years, Valorum's front company had worked to establish itself as the foremost supplier of electronics and comp equipment in the Galactic Core. The company's success had brought contracts from all over Coruscant, from First Sector spaceports to Tenth Sector factories--and eventually, from the Imperial Center itself.

In the nine months since an Imperial administrator first requested a shipment of replacement circuitry for the Center's utility droids, Valorum's team had carefully catalogued the inner workings of the Emperor's stronghold. Close observation had yielded thorough knowledge of troop strength and location in the many docking bays and hangars of the immense structure, while metal piercing sonar and heat seeking equipment placed in the company's delivery transports had provided details of the Center's make-up beyond the sight of the delivery staff. Blank spots in the team's assembled diagrams had been filled by educated guesswork and Valorum's memory of the building as it had been twelve years ago--when the structure had housed the many offices and vast meeting chamber of the Galactic Senate.

Timing was crucial for the first stage of the planned attack. The former Senator's plan had called for the attack to unfold on the date of a scheduled delivery, but the urgency of Obi-Wan's situation had made such a wait impossible. Instead, the two invading teams--Qui-Gon's on the south side of the complex and a second team led by Mace Windu on the north side--would enter the lower level docking bays under the pretense of a scheduled shipment and would be relying on the distraction provided by two other teams to keep the deception from being detected.

If the distraction forces, who would be hitting the well-guarded upper level entrances with a combination air and ground artillery assault, struck too soon, the entire Center would close up and the lower level teams would never make it inside the building. If the distraction occurred too late, the sweepers on guard in the docking bays would have time to confirm that no shipment was scheduled and would simply destroy the transport in its dock. Success depended on close adherence to their synchronized chrons, but Valorum had hand-picked the teams for this mission and the cool efficiency with which they had prepped for this hastily assembled mission had calmed even Qui-Gon's oversensitive nerves.

As
  18. Obi-Fan Jedi Knight

star 1
    =====

Obi-Wan raised an elbow to wipe his sleeve across his sweaty brow and blinked his eyes to clear the haze settling over them. Only one small fastener stood between Obi-Wan and the means of his escape, but his extended stay in the Force-isolated room was taking a heavy toll on him. Obi-Wan's muscles shook with the effort of holding himself upright; his fingers were clumsy, his mind sluggish. His body was screaming with the urge to sink back to the floor and rest for a little while--but the fear of what would happen if the Emperor returned to find him still alive lay like a block of ice in his stomach and pushed him to keep moving.

He cursed as the small knife slipped from the groove of the fastener and carved a thin scrape on the surface of the panel. His left hand still ached from a similar incident, before he had learned to brace himself against the wall in a spot where his hand was out of the knife's path. The cut had not been very deep, and the bleeding had soon stopped, but the throbbing pain matched the ache in Obi-Wan's head and made focusing on his task an even greater effort.

With a grunt of frustration, Obi-Wan wiped the sweat from his face again and brushed a few stray hairs from his forehead, then resettled the knife in the groove. A long, agonizing minute later, the last fastener gave way, and the small panel fell away from the wall to dangle from a pair of wires running from the back of the panel into the wall.

A sigh of relief escaped Obi-Wan at the simplicity of the panel's inner workings. The two wires clearly served the twin functions of the control panel--the comm system and the door lock--and the position of the wires directly behind the buttons on the face of the panel made the functions of each wire all the more obvious. The door mechanism had obviously not been built to keep people inside from getting out, and the Emperor--probably because the Force inhibitor should have meant almost instant death for those he intended to trap there--had never felt it necessary to replace the lock with a sturdier model.

Obi-Wan cut the two wires from the panel and pared back the outer coverings to expose the metal filaments beneath, then began reattaching the two wires so that the control opening the door was now attached to the comm wire, and vice versa. It was a trick that would only work if the Emperor had not frozen the comm system as well as the door lock--but Obi-Wan hoped that the Emperor's overconfidence in his Force inhibitor would have made him as careless with this escape route as with the door lock itself.

When the two wires were reconnected in their new places, Obi-Wan turned the control panel face up and, taking a deep breath to calm his nerves, pressed the operate button on the outer comm.

The outer door slid open.

A whimper of desperate joy slipping from his lips, Obi-Wan pitched himself forward and collapsed to his knees on the other side of the door, gasping for breath as new life surged into his Force-starved cells. Tears sprang up in his eyes; Obi-Wan bowed his head in his hands, fighting the tears and the panic back, till finally the stillness of the secluded corridor brought a measure of peace to the boy's nerves. He closed his eyes in search of his center, and reached out to touch the Force.

"Qui-Gon!" he gasped suddenly, his eyes flying open again.

The flash of foresight was as unbearable as it was unmistakable; Qui-Gon was nearby, and he was in trouble.

Without a moment's pause to consider his actions or examine the strange undercurrents in the Force hinting at turmoil throughout the Imperial Center, Obi-Wan stumbled to his feet and took off in a headlong run for his almost-Master's side.

He could only hope he would not be too late.

=====
  19. ObiLegolas Jedi Knight

star 3
    Whoo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE POSTEDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job and I like this particular cliffie! Obi finally got out of that cursed room and Qui is nearby! Whee! Can't wait for the next one. So glad June isn't all that long from now!
  20. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Ha!! I love the start with Panaka and Valorum being involved. Wonderful fight sequence between Qui-Gon and Ryzil Kenobi!! Arrghhh.. Obi-Wan finally escapes but is now on his way to help his almost-master!!

Fabulous post Obi-Fan... I hope school went well for you and you enjoy the summer off! :) :)
  21. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
  22. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    AT first I thought I was imagining things, but no- it's really a new post! How exciting.
  23. JediKnickers Jedi Knight

star 1
    Whoa. Awesome story, Obi_Fan!! This is sooooooo cool! :D I can't believe I missed this for so long. Please post soon?
  24. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't wait to see what happens when Ryzil sees Obi-Wan is still alive. Maybe he'll even die of shock. [face_devil] (One can always dream.)
  25. Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.