main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Confiding & Discovering - Mara/Luke viggie - 2010 Oldies Challenge Response ~~replies 04/19~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: Confiding and Discovering - L&M for the Oldies Challenge
    Author: Jade eyes
    Characters: L&M
    Timeframe: Post TLC
    Genre: Humor, friendship burgeoning into more, AU
    Disclaimer: SW belongs to LFL. The words belong to me. The Oldies challenge involved writing a vignette length post of 2,000 words; it must include a little foreshadowing and themes revolving around 3 words. Mine were: obsessed, discomfit, adoration.
    Summary: Luke and Mara are stuck planetside in a transport terminal, so they talk about all kinds of personal and professional things ? airing their hopes, dreams, and uncertainties almost unwittingly and discovering admiration and attraction for one another in the process.

Thanks for clicking all. Huggles!

~!~!~!~!~!

Mara sighed and tapped her long fingers on the rim of her frosty glass of ale. The orbital space lanes were snarled by a collision between a malfunctioning small tug and the outer ring of one of the orbiting space stations. The Jade?s Fire was docked in Slip 34. She had to rendezvous with the Wild Karrde in less than 48 standard hours. She smirked. She could shave off some time on one of the hyperspace jumps and just squeak in on the prescheduled time ? but only if she left in the next 3 hours, tops.

Her lips curved in a light smile at the thought of the Fire. It was her pride and joy ? sleek and fast and very efficient ? like Mara herself, by all accounts from those who knew her professionally.

As for personally ? she kept people at a strict distance ? arms? length or greater. She had no patience with Jedi lore ? but the old rule of no attachments suited her temperament and career just fine.

She took a sip of her drink and tried to quell the niggling voice in the back of her mind that wanted to snark: ?Tell me another one.?

Suddenly, the image of Luke Skywalker?s vibrant sky blue eyes popped into her mind. His clefted chin, warm gentle voice, and athletic build were things she tried not to let on she enjoyed when they were together. His respect and trust of her ? these things grated on her at the same time that they touched her deeply.

The reason they grated was that she?d experienced so little of it in her lifetime and it discomfited her greatly. She had a feeling that if anyone could get under her barriers, it was Luke. That was why she was definitely determined that he would not!

She was a little obsessed with work ? some might even try to accuse her of defining herself by her work role. She?d done it under Palpatine and even though Talon was parsecs away from being anything like that decrepit old Sith, old habits died hard.

Halfway across the terminal lounge, Luke nursed a foaming mug of hot chocolate. His ship, the Starburst, was also grounded. He didn?t have to be back at the Jedi Academy for a few more days, so he wasn?t as anxious as Mara was. He?d caught sight of her in a sleek gray flight-suit as soon as he?d entered, looking stunning even in that practical outfit. She, however, was too preoccupied to notice him. He could feel her Force presence like the shining lights of a brilliant night sky on Yavin. Her green eyes were no less vivid, and he loved to look into their emerald depths. They sparkled with mirth or with irritation. Her rich voice and rare laughter also were wont to give him peculiar, very pleasant sensations. Mara was definitely an enigma. He trusted her implicitly ? even though she had never overtly invited such a response and on the whole seemed bent on keeping him at a distance.

As he finished his drink, he noticed she had as well. The message board flashed that the traffic snarl should be cleared up in about an hour and there should be only a slight backlog after that, and departures could then take place in an orderly manner. He paused, but then screwed up his nerve. He would go over and talk with Mara.

She might be in a bitter mood but they were friends after all ? and not to speak would be odd, indeed.

As he greeted her, her eyes first registered surprise but then an involuntary pleasure.

2. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Very good! A great job with your words too!

Hope you enjoyed the challenge as well!

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    This is so sweet! The thing I like is that it's so plausible. I can see how this could happen. With nowhere to go and nothing but time on their hands, what a difference in their demeanors to each other. They can relax and be happy.

[:D]

4. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    see, good things happen when those two actually talk to each other!

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ?Mind if I join you?? he asked.

?It?s nothing to me either way.? She replied in an offhand manner. Or at least, that was the tone she strove for.

He grinned, and his eyes twinkled. ?You?re one of a kind, Mara. No one has quite the tangy bite to their tongue that you have.?

And with that, I melted... [face_love]

Awesomely done, Jade_eyes. :)

6. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    She was a little obsessed with work ? some might even try to accuse her of defining herself by her work role. She?d done it under Palpatine and even though Talon was parsecs away from being anything like that decrepit old Sith, old habits died hard.
    Mara's ruminations while fiddling with a glass of ale = =D=

Lukie is so sweet. [face_love] Such a sweet piece. Thanks for sharing!

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved your very sweet story. Nice to see Luke and Mara in that way and a great response to the challenge.=D==D=

8. Wifflesnip

Wifflesnip Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2008

Am I allowed to borrow a squeal from you? :D A lovely litle story, just a quiet moment before life starts again. They never had enough of these moments :( Did the challenge by any chance mention a sequel, you know just a small follow-up after this meeting :D.

9. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Love how at ease they are with each other about certain topics.

=D=

10. TheSwordJainaSoloFel

TheSwordJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 3, 2008
    Awwww, I really need to visit the boards more often. It's little viggies like this one that just brighten my entire day. Very nice response to the challenge, by the way. I love the spark the two of them feel when they touch, and the last sentence is perfect. [face_love] Lovely job as always.

11. HelloKelly

HelloKelly Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2009
    Sigh. I'm not doing so well on mine. But I loved yours! It was amazing! Loved the Mara Luke inteactions.

12. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Oh wow. This was just awesome! =D= Such wonderful characterizations- that was the thing that stood out most to me. :) Great character dynamics and such a lovely look at their relationship in this time. Bravo!! [:D]@};-

13. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Awww this was sweet!!![face_love] You did a great job capturing both Luke and Mara as well as their appreciation of each other! Reading this, it seems almost unbelievable this wouldn't have happened - so strange that your AU isn't EU.
    @};- @};- @};-

14. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Very well done as always with your Luke and Mara.

It was full of allusions not only of their future relationship that this little convo helped shape, but also with Mara's warning to him about the Force - a subject she'll have to eventually go into more detail with on Niruan.

Funny, but I never thought of having a space traffic jam. It could happen.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What a wonderful list of reviewers [face_dancing] :D :)

Thanks so much for reading!!

The "space traffic jam" was inspired by the perennial problems at the airport, first with the snow storms in January and February causing delays and now with the volcanic ash in Iceland :p

I liked putting L&M in a make the best of it situation and then they discover how comfortable they are with each other and actually how drawn they are. :)

The challenge words were splendiferous ones for a mush fanatic LOL

[:D]

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a great way to start my day! :D A little Luke/Mara is just the thing to make sure the day is a good one, especially when written by you.

=D=

17. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.