main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Confirmed. Disney To Release Additional Films Based On ‘Star Wars’ Characters

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Vastor, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Want to see character from movies or EU

1. Movies

59 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Movies and EU.

156 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. EU only

16 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think they could make a Darth Vader spin-off work but I just hope it would be about more than him hunting down Jedi. I could be the only one to think this but I don't want to see a 2 hour film of Darth Vader simply slaughtering Jedi. It just seems unnecessary to me and Palpatine's dialogue in Episode III that "the remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated" was all I ever needed for the story to connect with Old Ben's dialogue in ANH. I was glad that Lucas left that stuff out of the saga instead focusing an entire episode to that like some wanted. Now I would be up for a more character driven movie about Darth Vader post Episode III but an action flick with the sole purpose of showing how much of a bada$$ Vader is... no thanks.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Exactly. The ST deserves its own space. Can you imagine Episode 7, then a spin-off film, then Episode 8, then another spin-off and so forth? I believe that is the definition of "overkill". I really hope they don't do that. It could actually be very damaging, cheapening the Star Wars brand almost beyond repair.

dolphin likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think we should have a Star Wars film every single month. Have a film where every single character is cooking for Life Day. Just cooking for 2.5 hours.

4. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    I think a Darth Vader film is a terrible idea. He was the main character of the PT all the way through...we have had enough of him. As badass as it seems to have him running around killing Jedi, is that actually a good story to tell? I mean what would really happen in such a movie?

The films should be spin-off character films based on the new people we see in the ST. I highly doubt they will jump around the timeline and do stuff like Yoda and Darth Vader. We have had ENOUGH of those characters already.

5. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    With these new spin-offs confirmed, I'm now hoping that Episodes VII, VIII, and IX will take place after all the EU stuff. If that's the case then those of us who want to see the books, comics, and video games come to life, can. Some of it will have to be CGI/animation because Hamill, Ford, Fisher, and Williams are too old now. I think some of the movies may not even go to theaters and probably just straight to DVD/Blu-Ray.

Spin-offs and EU movies I would like to see...
    The Thrawn Trilogy (of course)
    Shadows of the Empire
    The Darth Bane Trilogy
    Jango/Boba Fett
    Kyle Katarn
    Rouge Squadron (maybe better as a T.V. show, perhaps in the style of Battlestar Galactica)
    The Force Unleashed (But not OTT like the games)
    Darth Maul (Maybe Shadow Hunter or just something new)
    Knights of the Old Republic (Based off the game or just something new)

6. DarthGaga

DarthGaga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2004
    I can't stand it when people come on to a Star Wars message board, and rant about "the big evil corporation" (Disney) that "won't be getting any of my money". Yeah, right. If you are big enough a "fan" to go on to a message board, you absolutely will be going to see these films. Probably multiple times. So will I. Maybe they'll be great, maybe they'll suck, who knows? But their quality won't have anything to do with whether they are released by Disney or any other studio.

Time-Warner is just as big of a corp. as Disney, and they just put out 3 great bat-films, and had a hugely popular 8-film Potter run. They also put out some crap too, but that has as much to do with the script/filmmaker than anything else.

Point is, almost every single movie (that more than 1000 people see) is put out by a major studio that is owned by a huge media conglomerate. Star Wars will be no different. Whether we will go see them is not the question. The question is is how many times will we see them, and will solely depend on Arndt/Abrams/Kasdan/Kinberg, etc. and not by Disney.

7. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Like it or not guys Spin off films and a whole lot of Star Wars is coming.This is only the beginning too.If any spin off is really successful you can bet there will a trilogy made from that one character.So we may be getting a Yoda trilogy of films.If it personally offends you then throw in the towel right now and leave the boards.Disney bought Lucasfilm to make profit and 4.5 billion dollars is Alot to make up to begin with.I can guarantee there will be Yoda,Boba Fett,Vader,Jabba,Maul and lots of spin offs in the future,plus multiple Episode Trilogy's and beyond.

8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Love it. As Marvel has shown, more films doesn't necessarily mean poor quality. These are huge universes with great characters; plenty of material for tons of good stories.

Chels and yodasbum like this.
  9. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Sounds good. Han Solo and Chewbacca films would be great.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    maybe a spin off will be based on the death of chewbacca???

11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I wholeheartedly agree. It would be the fulfillment of my fears I had concerning Disney Corporation taking over and turning Star Wars into a "product".

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think spin-offs are a great thing so as long as they're good and interesting. It sounds like the people who are only interested in the Skywalker/Solo clan can just watch the ST but the spin-offs will be there for the rest of us. Depending on when the ST is chronologically maybe they could feature the one or more of the Solo/Skywalker kids off on an adventure of their own. I'd definitely be up for something like that but I think Disney/LFL will go with characters that have smaller roles.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Star Wars is already a product and there is nothing wrong with that. It's a win win scenario in my book. Disney gets to make a boat load of money and we fans get to once again experience the movies that we love. Sure too much of a good thing can be bad but if there is a movie I don't like I just won't watch it again. Problem solved.

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Point well-made about coming to a Star Wars fan site and complaining that there will be more Star Wars films. Less than six months ago, the Saga was on life support, kept barely alive by an animated series of inconsistent quality and rumors of 3D adaptations.

To paraphrase something I read on another message board, Lucasfilm could hand every SW fan a wad of hundred-dollar bills and I bet some people would complain about how they were folded.

15. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Are we more likely to get information about the spin offs sooner than episode VII with JJ in charge?

16. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Quinlan Vos!

17. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I was thinking this as well. Wouldn't be my first choice, but didn't the comic writers say that Lucas had told them to leave his story open and that nothing more could be written about him?

18. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    They certainly did, but. 1. It was most likely for the live action tv which is kinda toast now. 2. Lucas also said: no more wookiee jedi and the TCW put an end to it.
    I'd prefer Kyle Katarn or Revan but Vos would be an awesome choice as well

19. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    Well Kennedy could change that, or it could be an area of his life that's alrady been developed.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Posting on this message board wasn't enough to get me to see The Clone Wars. Nor does it make me go out and buy the latest Star Wars novel, comic book, or video game. Yeah, I'll see Episode VII in the theater, but once the spin-off machine really amps up I guarantee there will be Star Wars films I won't go out of my way to see.

21. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    Perhaps an adaptation of the Dark Forces Trilogy of novellas. Another idea is a team film about Luke's first jedi students.

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  22. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    They are supposed to be character films so the latter is unlikely. Dark Forces would kick so much A

23. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    A Kyle Katarn film would be AWESOME! [face_dancing]He's like Han Solo, but with the Force.

But Yoda? Boba Fett? Nnnnnnn-o. :rolleyes:

24. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    Its highly unlikely that any prequel/original trilogy-era EU characters will be featured in a standalone movie. In doing so, the films would, by necessity, be validating and cannonizing the stories told in the EU, which would lock the movie's creators (and that of every other star wars episode and spinoff movie) into accepting as cannon.

It would be like a star trek movie acknowledging things that happened in non-cannon novels. Its not going to happen. I could see EU characters being incorprated in the films in minor, barely noticable ways as an easter egg of sorts for die hard fans, but no characters/events that took place in the EU will have ANY bearing on ANY of these films.

25. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Boba Fett I could handle if done correctly, but Yoda's whole appeal is his mystique. Please NO origin if you must make a spin-off of Yoda.