main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Confirmed. Disney To Release Additional Films Based On ‘Star Wars’ Characters

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Vastor, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Want to see character from movies or EU

1. Movies

59 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Movies and EU.

156 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. EU only

16 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Personally, I've always felt cheated that we never got the back story of Jawa #2. :)

Darth Chiznuk and V-2 like this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Cantina band "Behind The Music" is totally a must.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    All I want are Old Republic era movies. Sith everywhere, Jedi VS Sith battles on the scale of LOTR. That's been my dream since I saw Star Wars in 1977.....

Darth kRud likes this.
  4. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Qui Gon would be an opportunity for some director to make a lone samurai movie starring Liam Neeson. How cool would that be?

Darth Chiznuk , Chels and BarkingFrog like this.
  5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The rancor keeper and his pet rancor! Just imagine: he first gets the rancor as a baby and initially doesn't want him, but soon finds his heart melt because of baby rancor's adoring antics.Then they become inseparable friends. But then, when the rancor is a teenager, drama happens and they get into a big fight and vow never to speak to each other again. But love overcomes all obstacles, and at the end they are happy BFFs again! Who wouldn't want to see that?

Darth Chiznuk , Chels and Darth Sone like this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
  7. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    These spin offs will have to be about main characters. I can't see many non-Star Wars Geeks heading to the theatre to watch a Movie about Mara Jade.
    My list is short but sweet.

PT
    Maul

OT
    Vader
    Boba Fett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. akrunner

akrunner Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2012
    The SW galaxy has vast numbers of planets and lifeforms, thousands of years of rich history and stories, endless potential for stories of sith, jedi, mysteries of the Force, epic space battles, and the best ideas for spinoffs right now are Han Solo and Boba Fett? even trying to slip Vader into the spinoffs. Seriously? There is limitless potential for epic mystical stories and charachters to make some awesome scifi flicks and the best they can come up with is rehashing characters from 1977? Take a risk and expand upon some lesser known or completely unknown charachters, make a darker themed mystical movie for the love of god, doesnt have to be too violent or rated R. Just try something original. thats my rant thanks for listening.

9. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
  10. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

Because unless you've been hiding under a rock, the companies who put up the hundreds of millions of dollars to fund the production of films want a guarantee that at the very least there are ready made fans who will go see the movie.

Making a Thrawn movie has limited recognition with the majority of filmgoers but I'd wager most of the world knows who Han Solo is.

aguywithabiggun likes this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Reason is simple Money. Disney paid 4 Billion and they want a return on that investment.

The tragedy/irony of course is that at the time Starwars popularity was about new characters on new adventures with twists and turns on the way. The twist of Vader being Luke's father rather than the the guy who killed him is an obvious example and is the greatest reveal in film history. Sadly Disney do not care about that and just want to squeeze as much money from the franchise as they can.

Best comparison is that scene in Goodfellas where Bar owner becomes partners with Paulie and the mob suck it dry then torch it for the Insurance.

12. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Later on way down the line I wouldn't mind seeing some spin-off movies about completely new characters that are not from the movies, clone wars tv show, books, or games.

13. akrunner

akrunner Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2012
    I understand they need to make money by milking some of the charachters, but if you do a good job creating new ones and make a great original movie with a good story people will pay to see it especially with the SW name attached to it, with the film tech available now and Disneys resources the possibilites are limitless.

14. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    I think if the first wave of spin-off movies are successful, then maybe we might get some ones focusing on characters from TCW, books, and video games. Then maybe some bolder completely original new characters and stories.

Valairy Scot and yodasbum like this.
  15. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I thought I just read that the stand alone spinoffs are likely to be famous Star Wars characters from OUTSIDE of the saga... doesn't that open the possibilities for Corran Horn or Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade etc?

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Look to the Marvel Method. They came out with the big guns (that they had available to them) Iron Man and Hulk. Then semi-bigger guns with Thor and Captain America. Now we're getting Gauradians of the Galaxy and Ant Man movies. Wait till Disney Star Wars Phase II and III to get the weird, probably yanked from the EU, characters.

KevinM1 likes this.
  17. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Because they will make Sh1t loads of money......I mean even god will pay to see these movies

18. deswardo

deswardo Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2013
  19. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    You know, my 1st urge was to make light of this post, but it's actually an interesting thought.

20. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    There are somewhat conflicting statements on whether characters from the saga will be used. Bob Iger said this on CNBC:
    But in the official starwars.com press release, they used different phrasing from a different Iger phone call interview:

21. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, though we hardcore SW fans may want to see films based on obscure aspects of the SW films/EU, you have to remember that Disney/Lflm.'s main audience re: these films are the general public, not us hardcore SW fans.

Boba Fett, Yoda, and Han Solo are all immediately recognizable characters from the films - everyone in the world knows who they are, even if they're not that familar with the Saga - in fact, I'm sure that even people who haven't seen any SW movies know who these characters are...

So, what better way to pull in the general public? Making a 3-hour LOTR-type film about the history of the Jedi (which I think would be great) may draw in some of us on this board, but making a film about the youth of Han Solo will certainly draw in a lot more people....

KilroyMcFadden and KevinM1 like this.
  22. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Because we love the OT characters! Why not do spinoffs?

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  23. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    This is exactly it. You use the A-listers to gauge interest and plant the hook that will draw people in to see lesser known/original characters. The general public has no idea who Mara Jade or Corran Horn are.

yodasbum likes this.
  24. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    The Clone Wars and Ewok films suggest to me that the Star Wars brand alone isn't enough to secure guarantied box office. Quality doesn't always shine through either I think Serenity was a fine film and far better made than the Transformers trilogy yet it struggled. I agree that the OT characters woud be a safe bet but the original post answers the question for themselves- risk. They have to establish the brand and then look wider.

25. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Not if midichlorian count is like a white blood cell count, where the count isn't the total number of cells in the body, but rather the percentage of cells per unit of blood. Which would make more sense, since Qui-Gon did a blood test to detect them.

But that's if you accept that midichlorians are a good and useful idea. I do not.