main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Confirmed. Disney To Release Additional Films Based On ‘Star Wars’ Characters

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Vastor, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Want to see character from movies or EU

1. Movies

59 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Movies and EU.

156 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. EU only

16 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    You're right, that was a b.s. excuse. Still, moving forward is probably for the best.

2. GarithTannis

GarithTannis Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2010
    I have to be honest. For most things, slapping "Star Wars" on it is gonna get my money spent. Well, aside from Angry Birds or Star Wars Pinball. I dont' reward people for garbage like that when they could have dropped Battlefront III already. But as far as movies go.... I still watch Episode I all the time, while griping incessantly about it. lol

stormcloud8 likes this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Boba Fett

Darth Plagueis

Darth Bane

Old Republic

Mara Jade

Thrawn

The Force Unleashed

4. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    U.S.A., baby. :cool:

No, for those with concerns of oversaturation, at the end of the day we're talking about a film a year. If that's too much for some, then just go to the Episodes every other year and skip the spinoffs. Or wait and save the spinoffs and watch them at your leisure.

I for one look forward to a Star Wars movie every year. I'm not sure if a Yoda movie is something that will do well at the theater, but that's not my concern. It is Disney's concern, of course, and if all of this isn't profitable for them, then Disney will no doubt pull back. After all, you don't get to be one of the top two or three (currently no.1, I believe) media companies in the world by being stupid.

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think the “Yoda Origins” film is definitely one we will be getting. Didn’t Lucas always forbid any EU source to ever delve into Yoda’s past? Guess the spin-off would explain the reason why.

As I said before, I’m fine with these spin-off films as long as they’re good films. However, I really don’t want them to be released at the same time as the ST. I think the ST deserves its own space.

6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Yeah, count me in.

Ummm, no. I am NOT waiting until my 60th birthday for a KotOR movie. I'd much rather have too much Star Wars than not enough. If there's too much - just dial back on what you don't like. Not enough? Well then, you're stuck taking a handful of Nyquil and hoping your brain can put together a working dreamland to fill the time.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Interesting confirmation, though not at all surprising. It's ironic that in the months before The Disney sale & Episode VII were announced (late October 2012), I was actually thinking that the SW franchise was slowly dying, and that we were entering a big dry spell. At that point, I never thought there would be any more movies, I wasn't into the CW, and the Star Wars figure line seemed like it was almost on the verge of being cancelled.

Now, not only has the ST been announced, but some additional spin-off films - so, it's possible that there may actually be a SW film every several years for the next 10-15 years (or longer).

Who knows - we may never be in another SW "dry spell" again. 100 years from now, after they've finally made stand-alone films focusing on Yoda, Boba Fett, Darth Maul, Han Solo's youth, Princess Leia's childhood, Luke's childhood, Lando Calrissian, Lobot, Yaddle, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Battle Droids, Jar Jar, Palpatine/Dark Sideous, Admiral Ozzell, Captain Piett, Snowtroopers, Biker Scouts, Boss Nass, Captain Tarpals, Padme's Parents, the youth of Chancellor Valorum, Wicket, Chief Chirpa, Logray, Super Battle Droids, Count Dooku, & 5 films about Chewbacca's life before & after he met Han Solo, they may finally get around to making films about Owen Lars, Beru Lars, Cliegg Lars, Schmi Skywalker, Sebulba, Hammerhead, Walrus Man, Dr. Evazan, Gammorean Guards, Bib Fortuna, Tonnika Sisters (twin sisters in the ANH Cantina scene), The Imperial Officer who said "You Rebel Scum!", Wuher (cantina bartender), the Sandpeople, Jawas, R5-D4, Hobbie, Dack, Wedge, Biggs Darklighter, Power Droid, Ugnaughts, General Rieekan, Camie & Fixer (Luke's peers on Tattoine), The ET aliens from TPM, the Stormtrooper who bumped his head, and the malfunctioning Treadwell droid from the deleted Tattoine scene in ANH :D

In all seriousness, a stand-alone Boba Fett film (as has been discussed) may be interesting. I remember reading a couple of issues of the old SW Marvel comic (early '80's) in which Princess Leia ran into a Boba Fett look-alike (Fenn Shysha) who, like Fett, was a Mandalorian warrior. I don't think this is considered canon, but maybe parts of this "origin story" could somehow be incorporated into a potential BF film, unless it's too much of a contradiction when you take into account BF's origin in AOTC....

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It's now on the official site as well:

http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff-films-set-to-expand-the-star-wars-galaxy.html

NEW SPINOFF FILMS SET TO EXPAND THE STAR WARS GALAXY
    February 05, 2013
    The Star Wars cinematic galaxy is about to experience a Big Bang. Lucasfilm is officially announcing new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways.

One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.

In a call to investors, Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, revealed while the original focus was on the highly-anticipated sequel trilogy, the idea of spinoff films was bandied about early and the additional films are now becoming a reality. "We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."

Stay tuned to StarWars.com as more exciting developments unfold.

9. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I think whole deal is great. There is no way this remotely could be done without the resources of such a huge corporation such as Disney. Yes, I too have considered that the original movies will get lost in the shuffle so to speak. But if its another 15+ year dry spell or SW over saturation, I'll take the latter.

10. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I know Iger said these standalone films won't be part of the saga. Would that include a possible Darth Vader film showing him hunt down the remaining Jedi?

Chels likes this.
  11. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    No doubt, but would if they make spin off movies every year and never make a KOTOR movie, then what will you do? [face_devil]

No matter what Disney does, 1 movie a year, or 1 movie every 10 years, I will never lose faith in Star Wars.

12. GarithTannis

GarithTannis Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2010
    Meh, I don't think they'll get lost in the shuffle. I mean, those movies aren't going anywhere. And if they do, when I find the guy who snatched my Blu-Rays, he's gonna be missing his hands. You can't ruin something that's already been done.

13. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Or maybe a movie about what Obi-Wan is up to during his time watching over Luke and those adventures.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    From starwars.com:

One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.

"Sometime after Episode VII".

15. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    The vibe I'm getting from this is similar to MCU with all this massive continuity fest. At any rate I'm pumped. Especially if this means more original, non-Skywalker stories.

And of course, the usual rigamarole of accusations of Disney being a corporate hard ass, milking a franchise for all its worth, not letting Star Wars die in the 80's, etc come in droves.

I find their lack of faith disturbing.

Rawne likes this.
  16. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    Curious to see what he means by "that are not part of the star wars saga". Assuming it's part of Star Wars, but not part of "the skywalker saga".

So,
    2015 - VII
    2016 - Spin-off I
    2017 - Spin-off II
    2018 - VIII
    2019 - Spin-off III
    2020 - Spin-off IV
    2021 - IX
    Beyond - ???

Assuming they want one movie a year.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  17. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    A personal nitpick of mine is why they couldn't find another word to describe these movies besides "spin-off"?Maybe it's becasue I'

Maybe it's because I've hung around the Kingdom Hearts fandom too much, but the word spin-off leave a massively bad taste in my mouth.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    What do you mean? :confused:

19. Cad Carnage

Jan 22, 2013
    I wish they would elaborate on which characters they were based on, Yoda & Boba?

20. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Dumbass people accusing Square-Enix of constantly making Kingdom Hearts games on consoles besides the PS3 and deeming them spin-offs, when in reality, they're an integral part of the franchise.

21. Norminator

Nov 2, 2009
    Why Yoda? that could be the worst possible spin-off. Yeah it sounds like fun until you actually think about it. A whole movie with backwards-talking quasi-philosophy? No thanks.
    Maybe a spin-off focusing on this guy would be better.

22. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Well it's a little early in the process to expect specific branding. I don't expect Episode 7 to actual be sold as Episode 7.

23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Ah, I see.
    Well, these movies probably won't be integral parts of the saga, kind of how the Ewok movies (the earliest spin-offs of Star Wars) weren't integral parts of the saga. So spin-off is probably a good word for them. The again, we don't know much at this point.

24. Cad Carnage

Jan 22, 2013
    It was more of a guess because of the rumors yesterday about a Yoda movie, and the fact that Joe Johnston has wanted to make a Boba Fett movie before.

25. Norminator

Nov 2, 2009
    Ah, I wasn't aware of the rumors. If they do a Yoda movie I hope it's animated. At least then we won't have yet another look for him in live action movies.

Cad Carnage likes this.