1. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
    The title of the thread pretty much gave this away as a) fake bombastic news b) real irrelevant tidbit.

So...yeah. Cool, I guess.
  2. Frank_TJ_Mackey Force Ghost

star 3
    It's not mindblowing, but it's interesting nonetheless.

It seems that J.J. is already meeting people and those key contributors are already "blocking" schedules for Episode 7.

It would then mean that casting would start this summer....with shooting starting next spring (my 2 cents).

It's no biggie...but at least we know that talks are far much advanced than we "officially" know.
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
    :rolleyes:

You guys are acting as if the editor of the film is totally irrelevant. Let me tell you, he/she is not.
    Editors have one of the most important jobs on a film (really second only to the writer and the director) in terms of the telling of the story.
    I suggest you all go and read Walter Murch's book "In the Blink of an Eye" to get a better understanding of the editor's importance.

This IS interesting news!
  4. spicer Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    As long as they don't get the editor of Prometheus we're good.
  5. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    They should get the editor for The New York Times.

Oh wait...
    Son of a Bith and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. rezpen Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope these guys are rewatching the films to make sure they understand what makes Star Wars different, I was not too impressed with the disorienting filming and editing style of the Star Trek reboot, cameras at strange angles for no reason, shaky hand held shots again and again, endless shots of swooping through corridors and spinning around bridges, the flashing lights and other visual noise. My fingers are really crossed these guys don't bring that style to Star Wars.
  7. Krueger Force Ghost

star 4
    It’s funny how they've announced this now, taking into account that the editor is pretty much the last person(s) to work on a film. In fact, they're probably still working on a film a couple of months before its release.
    Last edited by Krueger, Apr 9, 2013
    Original Oatmeal likes this.
  8. Pfluegermeister Force Ghost

star 4
    Believe me, it wasn't the editing that was the problem with that film. The Hobbit, on the other hand... ;)
    Last edited by Pfluegermeister, Apr 9, 2013
  9. fishtailsam Force Ghost

star 4
    That's the next movie I'm getting from Netflix. I'm excited.
  10. Pfluegermeister Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, indeed, just to play devil's advocate here, I'd have to agree that the editors ARE important. A film can be radically changed by the editing process; some have made the argument (with some validity) that the original Star Wars film was actually SAVED in editing. It's not so much a question of camera-shaking and such, like rexpen was mentioning, because that's more the cinematographer's job than the editors'. It's a question of making the scenes play to their maximum emotional potential, such as making a fast scene faster-paced (y'know, faster and more intense and all that jazz!). So, yes, this is important news. Important enough to merit its own thread? Maybe not. What's most likely needed is a gradually-growing permanent thread entitled "Episode VII: Cast and Crew" or some such. Consolidation is always best in this forum.
    TreborSabreon likes this.
  11. Pfluegermeister Force Ghost

star 4
    You'll probably like it. An imperfect film, to be sure, but one good enough that its imperfections didn't ruin the overall experience. There's plenty to like in the film, on the whole.
  12. sonofvaderhater7 Jedi Padawan

It was very tongue in cheek for sure you guys responses are exactly what I was hoping for had me rolling at points.....the ewoks of news lol!
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  13. rezpen Force Ghost

star 4
    Here is a pretty good illustration of what I am talking about, where the scene is almost over edited with cut after cut after cut for not a particularly good reason. Combined with the hectic camerawork what you are left with is a disorienting needlessly confusing mush of images.

Compare this to the clear action and classic editing technique in a similar scene starting around :40 in ROTS. In SW action sequences are often built around a single strong iconic image (which usually begins as a concept painting).

http://www.starwars.com/watch/episode_3_chasing_grievous.html
    Darth Chiznuk and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  14. kubricklynch Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Yeah, editing like that belongs nowhere near a SW film.
  15. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 4
    But I loved the Hobbit!
    JainaSoloYJK, eht13 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. Pfluegermeister Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, I loved it too. The problem is, there was more of it to love than I wanted. The film was simply too long. That's all there is to it. It's not so much a question of editing entire scenes out; all they had to do was trim bits from scenes and you'd have a leaner, meaner and more effective picture. If they'd just so much as trimmed the fat off the action scenes so that they were shorter, that alone would have probably shaved a half-hour off the running time and the film would have been the better for it.
  17. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    The scene above worked well enough for me. It was fast paced but you still knew what was going on.

The end of ROTS is however over-edited were you jump from ending to ending and can barely keep up with grasping the emotions of the scene. Especially the cut from the Lars family to Vader was jarring. First the picture of hope, then Mr Evil standing in front of the Death Star? How is my brain supposed to jump between emotional states so quickly?
    It's by the way the same with the twin birth and Vader rising on that platform. Again completely different emotions shortly after another.
    Last edited by Darth_Pevra, Apr 10, 2013
  18. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 5
    Geez, it's like they're trying to make it hard to tell what's happening.
  19. lord_eidolon Force Ghost

star 2
    Still waiting for a Dolly Grip announcement, personally.
  20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe this guy can go back and re-edit the Prequels, too. ;)
  21. TheManFromMortis Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    _ _ _ _

You're not the only one! I'm itching to know which team members of The Human Society of the USA will be monitoring the treatment of animals on set. Get the wrong team and this could be a deal-breaker for me.
  22. fishtailsam Force Ghost

star 4
    I think this is better than a lot of the fight scenes in the Bourne franchise, in terms of being able to see whats going on.
  23. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 5
    Some of the fights in the Bourne series are edited in a way that I think is intended to make you feel kind of overwhelmed, like you're right in the middle of it... but that's all just close shots and quick edits. Something about this one goes beyond that and just ends up kind of a mess, IMO.
  24. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 5
    Yeah, that and the Best Boy Grip. We'll know a lot more about what to expect when this news hits.
    lord_eidolon likes this.
  25. Darth_Quintonis Jedi Master

star 1
    Have they announced who will be getting J.J.'s Starbucks for him yet?