confused over C3PO

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by dorothymantooth, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. dorothymantooth Jedi Padawan

Given that Anakin Skywalker built C3PO, why would Darth Vader not recognize him later on in Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back? Is this just an inconsistancy?
  2. The_General_Grievous Jedi Master

star 4
    mabey he forgot and there is also thousands of droids that look like him
  3. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Would you recgonize your long lost toaster from 20 years ago that now has a totally different covering?

4. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Were you ever good friends with someone, but then you hadn't seen them in years and years and years? Then one day you are shoping in the grocery store and you see them again and you are torn between going up and talking to them or hiding behind the greeting card rack? Ultimately, you just decide to hide yourself so they won't see you because you feel awkward and feel as though you have nothing to say?

Maybe it was something like that. :p

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!
  5. NorCalBirdz Jedi Master

star 4
    Who says he didn't? They are only together in one scene and never really make eye contact.

There's also my personal favorite ret-conned theory that the reason Vader held down Boba's blaster is that he wanted to save 3PO [face_dancing]
  6. Darth_Howell_III Jedi Master

star 4

How did that box of junkpile parts find its way to Chewie's cell, anyway?
  7. Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, it's most likely because that at the time ESB was made, Vader had no connection to 3PO. Lucas prolly didn't decide to have Anakin build 3PO until 1997, i.e. when he was writing Phantom Menace =)

A similar thing occurs with Owen Lars, who makes no notice of recognizing 3PO either in ANH. He might not have said anything about it to Luke, but he def. woulda brought it up to Beru when they were alone and discussing Vader. "Damn droid left with Skywalker. Now he's back. It's a sign of bad luck , I know it. We may get fried by Stormtroopers, we should move." =)

But looking at it from another point of view (to kinda paraphrase Obi Wan) Vader and 3PO were only together for one scene, and alot was going on in said scene. He prolly didn't even notice 3PO. And if he did, perhaps Vader thought of 3PO as a reminder of his past, as having a strong connection to his mother and wife, so he didn't wanna say anything for fear of bringing up crappy memories.

Or, as I said, Vader wasn't the maker of 3PO in 1980. Either way works I guess ;)
  8. DS615 Jedi Master

star 4
    You recognize heim because he's pretty much the only droid we see. And you're all like "cool, it's a droid".

Vader sees hundreds of droids every day, droids are an appliance, not a person. Outside he's no diffrent from any other 3p0 unit, so why would Vader recognize him at all? Like an bavoe poster said, would you recognize your toaster (blender, VCR, TV, waffle maker) from 20 years ago? How about if you were in a massive flea market and it was just one of the thousands you saw?

9. lightsaber_wielder Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it's likely that Vader did recognise C-3PO, but his "That name [Anakin Skywalker] no longer has any meaning for me" line in Return of the Jedi suggests that he has severed all links with his former life; i.e. if he recognised C-3PO, he didn't really care.
  10. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    Let's say he DID recognize him...

What was he gonna do?
  11. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Ugh.
    Someone take one of those toaster threads and bring it back here.

Suppose you were driving a red Nissan 240 SX in 1991.
    You sold it a few years later and it was never to be seen again.
    Then in 2005, you see a gray Nissan 240 SX, will you automatically assume that the gray car is the exact one that you used to drive?

All those droids are the same, they are analagous to toasters or cars or other appliances.

-Seldon
  12. Darth_Pogey Force Ghost

star 4
    Even if he did recognize him Darth could care less. Wouldn't the Star Wars Saga forum be a better place for this.
  13. BareBodkin Jedi Knight

star 1
    Star Wars Tales #6 deals with this. You should check it out, its a good issue.
  14. starwarsofthesouth Jedi Knight

star 1
    3PO is a pest. How could you forget him?
  15. FloridaFilmGuy Force Ghost

star 2
    Owen does indeed recognize him... as a protocol droid.
    Remember, Owen never saw the gold plating....
    But he does say, "I imagine you are programmed for ettiquete and protocol?"

Why? Because he's seen the type.
  16. DarthLassic007 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    We've been over this a thousand and one times already.
  17. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    ^
    So instead of complaining, why not help provide an explaination. Obviously the creator of this thread is not familiar with this debate. If we help him out, he won't start another thread on this subject again.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!
  18. Darth_Pogey Force Ghost

star 4
    There are several possible explanations.
    1.Darth Vader doesn't care.
    2.Darth Vader didn't notice him.
    3.There are alot of droids that look just like him.
    4.Darth was so inveloped in the Dark side he forgot about him.
    Hopefully any of these is sufficient.
  19. DARTHMORDOR Jedi Master

star 4
    several first things vader might say if he reconized 3p0

vader: "so ah, how's r2?"

"been back to the farm latley?"

"want to come back to my ship?"

"I hate you it's all your fault, you and that little droid ruined everything"

"hay 3p0, wow, what are the odds of us bumping into each other again?"

now imagine these said with james earl jones voice.
  20. D_Lowe Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Given that Anakin Skywalker built C3PO, why would Darth Vader not recognize him later on in Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back? Is this just an inconsistancy?

What, did you expect a reunion in the Carbon Chamber?

[image=http://img89.exs.cx/img89/6324/vader3po9jz.jpg]
  21. KennyT Jedi Knight

star 3
    Vader: "Put down that blaster you fool."

Bobba Fett: "What The?"

C3PO: "O dear turn around Chewbacca"

Chewy: "indecipoherable roar of protest"

Vader: "C3PO, is that you?"

C3PO: "Thank the maker, Ani it is you."

Han Solo: "Well this is awkward."

Leia: "3PO, you know Vader by name?"

C3PO: "Certainly mistress Leia. May I introduce to you my creator and friend Anikan Skywalker. He is also your daddy by the way."

Leia: "WHAT!?"

Han: "Get outta town."

Bobba Fett: "What you talkin' about Willis"

Vader: "It's true. I have strayed from my roots. I can't believe I turned to the darkside. But seeing you like this 3Po brings a smile to my breathing mask. And little Leigh, you are as beautiful as your mother Padme."

Lando: "You have got to be kidding me?"

Han: "So wait a minute... your name is Anakin Skywalker?... and Leigh is your daughter... and that means Luke is your son and he and Leia are siblings? Sweet."

Leia: "Poppa?"

Vader: "Yes baby it's me."

C3PO: "What an odd turn of events this is. If only R2 were here to witness this."

Bobba Fett: "Alright, i'm outta here."

Hmmm. Which film would be better? But seriously, as others have stated, C3PO is not the only protocol droid in the world, and it has been 20 some years since vader seen 3PO, and they were only in this one scene together. Not much of a chance for Vader to recognize him, and if he did, I doubt he would care.
  22. D_Lowe Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    KennyT, try to rewrite that with Threepio having a memory wipe (which he does). Even if Theepio didn't have a memory wipe, he still wouldn't be able to regonize Vader's voice. Anyway, try writing something around that.
  23. DARTHMORDOR Jedi Master

star 4

back in ANH the falcon is in the hanger of the DS.

"I felt something I have'nt felt since-"

but instead of storming off

"corporal, you know I once built a droid?"

"you sir, really?"

"yes, in my youth I was really quite skilled at building things and fixing broken stuff"

"facinating, eh, I think I have some, er ah, scaning to do."

"it can wait, Let me finish"

"gulp, y-yes lord vader"

"so I built this droid, it could speak over 6 million languages"

"impressive sir, I am sure your quite proud of your droid. eh, do you still have it?"

"no."

chokes the corporal with the force

"I don't wish to be reminded of my past, corpral, let that be a lesson"

ok so I got a little off topic. I ment to have vader go on board the falcon and find his droid his master and his son. all of which he did not belive even existed and laugh at the smallness of the universe.

"wow, what are the odds"

c-3p0 "5 million nine hundred thousand seven hundred and fifty to 1"

vader "never tell me the odds"
  24. battlewars Jedi Master

star 4
    i think it makes more sense why vader doesn't kill chewie, its because of 3po, why else?
  25. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    He stops Boba from shooting for 1 reason. Vader's mission, his sole mission on Bespin is to capture Luke, and bring him to the Emperor so together they can turn him to the dark side.

To capture Luke, he needs to test the carbonite machine on Han. He needs to do this quickly since Luke is on his way, so he wants Han frozen as soon as possible so they can clean up and prepare the machine for Luke.

There is a fuss, obviously because Chewie doesn't want his buddy frozen, but Vader sees that Han is willing and Vader observes that Han is calming his buddy down, so there is no need for any other complications.

The idea is speed, and this is no time for problems.

---------------

And if you notice in the beginning of TPM and ANH that all the protocal droids look similar except the color of their coverings, so since 3P0 doesn't state his name in front of Vader, he's just another nameless protocal droid to Vader. The same thing goes for Owen in ANH.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.