main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX Confused...

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by goldbubbly, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    Do we not have a city rep? :confused:

2. DECO_DROID

DECO_DROID Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    i thought jaina02 was one of the organizers, but???

3. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    Me?????? I haven't even been to one of the meetings! Thanks for thinking that though! I'm not sure who is...

But on the topic of meetings, when is our next one going to be, cause I'd like to go to one!

4. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    Weaves was going to be the rep, but we couldn't get enough people here to post. Now that there is actually some activity going on, we may try to become an "official" fanforce. Which to the best of my knowledge we aren't as of yet.
    special agent cooper, I think was going to try and pick it up, but haven't heard from her in a while.
    I attended the first meeting, somewhere, someone said we have to have so many meetings with more than 8 in attendance to be a fan-force. Let me know when y'all want to have one!

5. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I want to come. Of course, I can't do that until I go back home for the summer. :( I want to go home to a real city again.

6. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    ok someone who is a city rep told me that we have to have three meetings....a name...i'm thinking like how waco is 'the bounty huntetr's guild', something like that...and they said something else...but i can't remember it...to be an "official" fanforce.

And I really want us to have a meeting! This summer would be good...if we can manage it...July-ish? maybe june?

7. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Awesome, we can do those things.

Count me in!

8. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    i'm pretty sure we can too... :)

EDIT1: Look at what I found from the FAQ IN FF General Communication

EDIT2:the link: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1393040&replies=16

**How can my city be recognized by TFN as an OFFICIAL FanForce City?

Well, it's simple. Each metropolitan city is divided into regions. (You can view a list of U.S regions and International Regions here.) These regions are also "categories" on the FanForce Discussion Forums. These regions contain unique City forums, where Star Wars fans and TFN users can get together online and meet fellow, like-minded fans from their area. But FanForce is not about the "online" world. The "online" world at TFN FanForce is just a tool to help these cities effectively run their FanForce. With that being said, each City Forum is encouraged to form a grass-roots club, which will become the local official embodiment of TheForce.Net. This club or group will be referred to as a FanForce!

The following is a list of pre-requisites in order for your city group to be recognized as an official TFN FanForce:

1) Get to know everyone posting in the forums for your respective cities. If your city is currently not on the forums, start it up! Maintaining a strong presence on the forums is vital!

2) Start planning group activities and meeting with each other! Communities are not built over the Internet alone!

3) [IMPORTANT] Your city group must plan and execute three events or activities and have advance notice of each posted on the FanForce Headlines/Main page. We want you guys to build grassroots, self-contained clubs that actually do more than just chat on the forums all the time! Network with your fellow fans! Without the completion of this particular guideline, consideration cannot be given.*

4) Choose one individual to represent your organization to FanForce. This person will work directly with a FanForce Regional Support Administrator to help you plan out activities, interface with charities, gather sponsors (if and when necessary) and address all issues and concerns regarding FanForce and TheForce.Net in general.

5) A local FanForce can be run any way the fans of that city wish it to be run. All we ask is that you use our TFN FanForce City Forums as your online meeting place!

(Special consideration can be given to city groups and clubs that have demonstrated a sustained membership and record of activity). Some will question why we have these stipulations to gaining FanForce status. The answer is simple. We don't want FanForce cities that do nothing but talk to each other on the forums. FanForce is much more dynamic than that. We want to hear about what you're doing -- whether it's Star Wars-related or not. Star Wars is what brought us all together, but our community involvement with one another is the glue that will keep us that way.

EDIT 3: something else to consider from the FAQ:

**I'd make a great moderator! Can you list me as the moderator for my city?

FanForce does not recognize moderators in the traditional sense. Instead moderators have been effectively replaced by City Representatives (CR's.)

City Representatives must be (first and foremost,) leaders -- capable of organizing and supporting an entire community of city-wide fans. As a CR, you are there to serve and represent your organization. You must garner their trust and their support. They have to believe that you can be called upon to represent them and TFN in any capacity.

A key point to understand is that CR's do not appoint themselves as such. As FanForce is essentially "for the fans, by the fans," we trust that CR's can, and will, be appointed by the cities themselves. We expect that this will stem from cities meeting together, planning activities together, and communicating on the forums together. FanForce cities will use these avenues to decide on a CR.

9. DECO_DROID

DECO_DROID Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    so, do we have 8 people that will be in attendance? depends on when and where. my availability is something like 6pm-10pm weekdays and anytime saturday. are we thinking of meeting at someone's house or at a public place? if we can get this thing going and become a fanforce, that would be great! by the way, jaina, it just seemed like you knew what was going on from previous posts i had read. didnt' mean to assume you were the big cheese...

where is our leader???

10. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    I would love to come as long as it isn't too far away! Just tell me when and where and I'll be there!

11. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    That's awesome, thanks goldbubbly.

Surely we can muster up 8 people. And then I guess we choose our leader & start organizing things. This is Houston, for goodness sake. We need to get this together. ;)

All sign in:

Queenie Amidala - there's one. :D

(We already have 5 people in this thread alone.)

12. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    Count (Dokku) me it.

Since the movie previere is upon us, perhaps we can meet "officially" there. Maybe find a spot near the theater to meet at first. Theres plenty of choices in front of the AMC 30 at Gulfpointe!....and in costume!

BTW, for those that don't know me, my real name is Buck. :D

13. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    Ok for those that are still paying attention to this thread [face_blush]

I PMed our RSA, Obey Wann , about the meetings part of becoming an official fanforce. As you may remember three are required. I liked his response :) it's more congenial than basic facts so I hope he doesn't mine me copying and pasting.

Good news, goldy. An official event could be something as simple as 3 people sitting together at a Starbucks, getting to know eachother. Or going to see a movie together. It's that simple.

Just give me a press release notice that I can cut'n'paste, and I'll post it at the FF main page for you. Do that 3 times, and you're official. Pretty easy, eh?

And it is pretty easy! We can do that!

I also asked if he had any advice, this is what he had to say:
    "K.I.S.S. Keep it simple, silly. Have fun, and make some friends. Check out what some of the other boards/forums/cities are doing, and have some profile pages and whatnot. And above all else, Have Fun!!! "

the profile pages and whatnot we can work on later, but i think we can get the meetings part covered relatively soon, we are not facing an impossible tasks my fellow houston FF's! :D

-Goldy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.