main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Congratulations Austria

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    -Jedi Joe- and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Metternich is disgusted.

yankee8255 likes this.
  3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I guess the NSA will be monitoring his snapchats now.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Adorably flawed decision.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Goddammit, it should be up to the older, wiser people to **** the world.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Even, what experience can he draw on at 27?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How do you suppose civil service types feel that their new boss is some kid? Ministers are already hooligans, no need to make them young hooligans now.

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Why is "experience" necessarily a good thing? There are many, many examples throughout history of things going disastrously because senior officials were set in their ways.

I do think 27 is young for a high-ranking diplomat, but let's not pretend that older people are automatically competent or that their views are correct.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So far you're the only one saying that.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

But I didn't say that; you inserted that as my position so it would be conveniently in opposition to your viewpoint.

27 is simply too young to be a foreign minister. Tony Blair, when elected, was a young Prime Minister at 40 but if read his autobiography (or, like me, have 16hours of Mr Blair reading it himself as an audiobook [face_love]) he acknowledges that New Labour had a real lack of experience in government, with practically none of his ministers serving in government and only ever knowing opposition. Youthful enthusiasm and energy are great but they need worldly experience to temper them. I always worry when a public official is elected and has never been involved in a wealth creation enterprise.

The centre-left is particularly good/bad at it here, putting people who've been lifelong trades union officials into government and I think this is wrong. Until you've worked somewhere where you're accountable to external (and sometimes fickle) stakeholders and your performance dictates both your remuneration and your job security I can't see you have anything to offer in a position of leadership such as a ministerial posting.

yankee8255 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  11. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    evan, older people aren't automatically competent, but younger people are automatically incompetent

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Thanks for taking down my supposed strawman and saying something worse. :confused:

13. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    He actually looks 12.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

How... what?

I was adding further commentary. And I stand by it; if a public office holder hasn't worked in a wealth creating business then I really doubt they have much to draw upon and offer an electorate.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Wait, really? I agree with your broad strokes (and particularly the example of a long-time opposition going into government), but really? You just blanket struck out both lifelong civil servants and military personnel for ever holding ministerial office. What does an education, culture, or defense minister need experience with short-sighted and self-interested stakeholders for? I'll include a foreign minister in the list too, given this example.

Experience and training in public service? Unimportant. Experience making a buck? All-important.

Kinda reads like a stereotype of Ender, you know.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I'm not sure a career military man or public servant makes the best minister. I dealt with a lot of both in my government work, and having done both private sector and public sector the latter suffers on two levels. One; risk-adverse culture. To be fair, public employees aren't supposed to be risk-takers but ministers are. Two; it's generally the case that unless there's gross negligence or dereliction of duties, it's hard to impossible to lose your job in the public sector. You might be taken off the career treadmill at, say, an EL1 level (whatever the equivalent is in US Govt. parlance) but you'll still get the mandated pay rise each year.

However, if your performance was a determining factor in job security - i.e. when you can lose your job for underperforming - it enhances your accountability and the quality of your output. You are the best you can be, and that's what gets your the promotions and salary increases and bonuses. Results are crucial to your success, in other words. Which is not dissimilar to the world of a minister.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The only thing I know about Austria is that Arnold Schwarzenegger came from there.

18. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    And Hitler.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    2 things!

20. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Didn't Merkel just fracture her hip?

21. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I don't know, George W Bush, Don Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney all had private sector boardroom experience and they didn't exactly crown themselves in glory as competent public administrators. Likewise, I'm sure you wouldn't want to see the executive management of Enron and other corporate disasters putting their hands up for senior public service positions.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Money making is all that matters when it comes to leadership experience.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ender: I see what you're saying, but isn't that a blanket generalization? Couldn't I just easily generalize that private sector people are greedy and see personal gain as the only goal? Corporate culture isn't the best either. Certainly the example of 2008 hasn't slipped your mind. Yet why is your categorical view slanted completely in one direction? You say you have been in both worlds and private edges out, but your view is apparently absolute that no private sector experience is the deal breaker.

Wouldn't it be better to say you prefer people in public office who don't suck? It would at least be more defensible.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    By all accounts, though, Rumsfeld was a good SecDef. Dubya and Cheney though were horribly under qualified (most of Bush's corporate appointments owed more to his name than his talent) and then later beset by a set of unique factors. I would be tempted to suggest they're an outlier and you would get more benefit from looking at his father's record as a public administrator.

Or to Malcolm Bligh Turnbull, being as he is, a shining light.

You should be modestly ashamed of the breath-taking idiocy inherent in that post. Granted, it's politics, a subject where you struggle with the nuances like your favourite person struggles with science. But that is neither what I said or meant, and only an imbecile could confuse working for a "wealth creating business" with MAKING ALL THE MONIES.

25. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    So much for my plans of making her my sex slave...