main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CONNECTION BETWEEN BOTH TRILOGIES

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediDJ1013, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDJ1013

JediDJ1013 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    Ok, I don't know if anyone else has ever thought of this, but I've been dying to know...

In ESB, in the Carbon Freezing Chamber. When Chewie goes nuts, Boba Fett goes to shoot him, but Vader pushes his gun down.

Now, after finding out that Anakin built 3PO, do you think it's possible (however unlikely ;))that he recognized the droid he built with his own two hands and didn't want it destroyed?

Here's some arguments to support my theory:

3PO was very loud coming into the chamber. If Vader heard him, he HAD to of recognized him. C'mon...it's 3PO!

Also, Vader was already pre-consumed with Luke, so you know that had to bring up memories of his mother, Padme and the rest of his past.

Now obviously, Lucas couldn't of planned it like that...but it is fun to believe :D

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, we've already discussed this...but yeah, it is fun to imagine.

3. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I'm pretty sure that after Episode III Vader will be pretty keen to erase all memories of his past, including 3P0. There's a lot of pain that will be hanging around, and I doubt he wants to keep it high in the priority list. There are also millions of droids like C-3P0 in the galaxy, with similar parts, specifications, and mannerisms. I doubt that Vader would be able to pick out the one he built 35 years previously. :)

I_F

4. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    one Star Wars: Tales comc entitled The Maker or somethng like that shows Vader looking at the remains of 3PO after he was blasted by the stormtroopers on Cloud City. Seeing the droid's remains conjures memories of building him, and it's these feelings that ultimately cause him to allow Chewie to rebuild 3PO. of course, all Tales are considered Infinities until referenced by another source.... :p

5. James_Sunderland

James_Sunderland Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    Maybe Vader knew that Luke was the Master of Threepio, and thus, didn't want to cause any damage of the droid?

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/s/swtales6.jpg]

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I read that comic. Cool story.

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

8. Darth_Solidus

Darth_Solidus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2005
    The only reason that I can think of for GL changing the lines between Vader and Palpatine in the ESB DVD is to play up the schizm that's obviously developed between the two after Ep3 and before Ep5. We don't see The Emperor in Ep4 but we are introduced to him, and at the same time we get the impression that Tarkin is in charge and Vader is just a lap dog and not in charge. If I were Vader, after this wrinkled old man used me, stuck me in a tin can, and abused my abilities then I'd be pissed I wasn't in charge of the Death Star.

So changing what Palpatine says to Vader in ESB, where Vader lies to The Emperor about knowing that Luke is his son ("How...is that possible" "Search your feelings...") does bring the trilogies closer together.

Vader had to move the Executor OUT of the asteroid field that he's chasing Solo through (already trying to find Luke), then The Emperor tells him that Luke's his son?? No, no, Vader already knew who Luke was before Palpatine told him. Vader wanted to find his son and train him to overthrow Palpatine BEFORE The Emperor felt the "disturbance" caused by Luke.

Highlander was wrong. There can be only two.

9. RadagastTheBrown

RadagastTheBrown Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm pretty sure he's was thinking about training Luke since before he became Vader. I think he was just tricking Sidious into thinking he did not know. They were both after Luke, and they both wanted to train him.

10. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    There's actually a rumour that in the AE editions, they'll put more focus on the scene, thry focus on Vader and then Threepio, as if he's watching him. Then when the action starts, have threepio being infront of Boba, focus on Vader then Threepio, then focus on him stopping Fett, if you can imagine it right, it'll work great.

11. JediDJ1013

JediDJ1013 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    that would be GREAT! A GREAT, obviously unintended, connection between both trilogies.

12. Darth_Solidus

Jan 24, 2005
    "There's actually a rumour that in the AE editions, they'll put more focus on the scene, thry focus on Vader and then Threepio, as if he's watching him."

Jengafett - Interesting rumor, what's your source?

Unfortunately, I thought that Lucas wasn't going to release the OT on DVD until he was done and done tweaking them. But with the current DVD versions and the fact that they still have matting issues - there is going to be an additionally tweaked version of all of the movies for the High Def release (probably '07 for the 30th anniv.).

BUT - I doubt that re-tooling or re-editing any of the existing scenes, especially something that would change the pacing of one of the best - probably the best - scene in the entire series, is gonna happen. He can only change so much and still maintain the integrity of what drives the story. Lucas has always said that the movies are about Luke, Obi-Wan, and Vader/Anakin.

Watering down pivotal moments, just for the sake of showing that Vader has a soft spot (which never happens until he kills Palpatine a whole movie later) just doesn't make any sense.

What I think the coolest possible link between the trilogies would be is to have Boba Fett disintigrate someone (hopefully a Jedi) around Anakin, giving him a reason to address Fett by saying "No disintigrations...".

13. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    someone posted that on the millenium falcon boards ages ago. I highly doubt they were telling the truth, but I thought I'd post it as it sounds pretty cool.

14. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Hey cool I've been searching for that pic! Thanks!

Speaking of that image, over in the Trilogy Changes thread I actually had it on my wish list that I'd love to see a new scene added into EsB of Vader holding 3po's head like that.

I know it would mess with the pacing a bit but it doesn't have to be long. I also don't think it shows Vader being soft it just would be a scene that that simply shows Vader recalling his past. It's such a great oppurtunity to make a true connection.

"What I think the coolest possible link between the trilogies would be is to have Boba Fett disintigrate someone (hopefully a Jedi) around Anakin, giving him a reason to address Fett by saying "No disintigrations..."

^ I agree. I just worry that Boba will be too young for the time period of ROTS for GL to show that. It is concievable that between ROTS and EsB Vader seen or heard of Boba disentegrating his enemies. Still, it'd be cool as hell to see on screen somehow.

15. Darth_Solidus

Jan 24, 2005
    In or out of armor the young Fett might still have the ability to exact revenge on the guy that killed Jango...Windu getting vaporized by something that Fett has a hand in would be the ultimate.

I still don't think that a Vader/3PO scene works. Vader is more diabolical, stern, and violent in ESB than anywhere else in the series. As far as I'm concerned making a change like that is akin to making Greedo shooting first. Even though I've accepted that (because it ain't going back to the way it was) - it changes the character of Han Solo, making him more humane in a way, compared to a cold-blooded killer. I think that Vaders' character in ESB needs to remain stern - no remorse, no regrets.

p.s. - Even though I generally avoid EU, that is the coolest EU story that I've even seen. That and the Peoples' Court comic with Judge Palpatine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.