main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Connection: Real Life Conspiracy Theory & The Expanded Universe

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Check out this article at www.rense.com.

It mentions that the Royal Institute of International Affairs meets in Chatham House.

This name is very similar to the name of the place where Bail Organa and Mon Mothma met to discuss the birth of the Rebellion. It has been named differently over the years, I think Chatham (same spelling) or Cantham (something like that).

So a place that has been speculated to be involved in real life conspiracies has a link to an EU conspiracy (the conspiracy to form a Rebellion to dethrone the legitamate government, the Empire).

2. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    I've got more than my fair share of conspiricy theories, if anyone cares to hear them.

3. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes, but the point of this thread is to show a remarkable link to the EU in terms of a similar name of the meeting place of conspiracies.

I wonder if this was intentional by the authors?!

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd assume it would depend on which came first. I mean, if the place in the link you brought up came before the mention of where Mon Mothma and Bail Organa met, then it could well be SW authors decided to use it. If it came after, that is conpiracy there came after the place mentioned in EU for where the two met, then it's probably just coincidence.

5. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    The real life occurance came first. For example, the Council on Foreign Relations began in the 1930's or before I believe, and this article indicates that the English version predated the CFR.

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Okay, then the first option I mentioned in my previous post is the one to go with. That is, it's likely that SW authors decided to make a reference to something from real life. Maybe they were concious of that descion or maybe they were unconcious of it. By unconcious I mean to say that they'd heard of it, knew something about it, but when the time came to come up with a location, they thought they came up with one off the top of their head when in reality their brain was saying "Huh, this sounds just like what happened at this real life locale."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.