main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Connections between ROTS and AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Guy DuBlanc, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    Welcome to the AOTC/ROTS connection. I think it is fun to find the parallels and connections between the various films. A lot of people focus on the PT/OT parallels, but there is also a lot of connections within the PT itself.

I'll start it off with:

+ AOTC ends with Chancellor Palpatine looking out at his new clone army

+ ROTS ends with Emperor Palpatine looking out at his new Death Star

Other cool things to note are repeated locations, ships, actual references in ROTS to AOTC (let's take Dooku together this time), and foreshadowing with the lines (Anakin's line about being able to stop people from dying in AOTC).

Let's see what we can come up with!

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2005
    Owen and Beru appear in both, as well as in ANH. (They appear in three in a row)

Yoda's connection to Qui-Gon is alluded to.

The Delta-7 starfighter makes an appearence, doesn't fire a shot, and is peppered with laser bolts from behind.

We see those neat little hyperspace sleds.

One word: clones.

A specific ship from the OT makes an appearence. Slave I and Tantive IV. Sadly, while the former is very well done, the latter is very inaccurate.

The Death Star is alluded to in both (much like the Lars', we see the first DS develop over three films).

Noticeably poor music editing and use of stock music tracks. This problem is unique to AotC and RotS.

If deleted scenes count, then Padme's family appears in both films.

Jett Lucas plays a Jedi.

Anthony Daniels appears as Danni Faytonni.

Several Jedi appear only in these two films.

Most Jedi, including Mace Windu, are only seen fighting in these two films.

Visual links with the Empire (armor, ships, walkers).

Count Dooku appears only in these two films (unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that we should have seen his seduction in TPM).

Hayden Christensen only plays Anakin in these two films.

That's all I can think of for now!

3. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    This is where AOTC is made a better film by ROTS.

+ Anakin's arc is the same in both films: he starts out as an honest Jedi trying to do his best; he is then tempted to do something forbidden, which he resists; by the end of the film events have gotten so out of hand that he feels liberated to act purely for his own benefit

+ In AOTC Padme is attracted to Anakin but rejects him - [I believe] out of fear of dying 'alone' she confesses accepts her love for him, *choosing* to disbelieve what he tells her about the Tusken slaughter; in ROTS Anakin is the one who rejects Padme [on Mustafar] then regrets it, only it is far too late to go back; Padme again *chooses* not to believe that Anakin has a dark side; in the final mirroring irony, she does die without him and *because* of him - Padme has lost the only two things she has ever cared passionately about, the Republic & Anakin - even her own children are no comfort to her. Like a Shakespearian heroine, she has a unilateral vision of the world which dooms her to an early, tragic death :(

+ Anakin's submerged jealousy of ObiWan (they started out competing for Qui-Gon's attention), desire to attain more power without earning it, obsession with loss, regarding Padme as a mother substitute and his unholy oath to learn to 'stop people from dying' at *any cost* (subtext) sworn both to Padme & on his mother's grave are ALL paid off in ROTS

+ Dooku tempts Obi on Geonosis + Anakin tempts Obi on Mustafar

+ Yoda 'communes' with QGJ while in deep meditation

Those are all I can think of right now...

4. SuperShmi06

SuperShmi06 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2003
    the thing that made AOTC a WHOLE lot better for me was the dream thing. In AOTC, anakin dreams about his mother, but doesnt get there soon enough. He then promises his dead mother "i will not fail again" and he MEANT it. So when he starts having similar dreams about Padme in ROTS, he remembers the whole thing with his mother, and is absolutely determined to not let Padme die the way he let (or thinks he let) his mother die. The element of Anakin turning to the darkside to save his wife is very strong, but it is made even stronger when you know that there is even MORE to it, just as when watching AOTC, you cant help but get a creepy feeling during the funeral scene, knowing what that promise will eventually lead to.

5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    The connection with dreams and the events surronding anakin's mom's death were cool.

6. Guy DuBlanc

Apr 12, 2000
    SuperShmi06, nice post. The idea in ROTS that Anakin is willing to do whatever it takes to save Padme is so much stronger with AOTC. And having Anakin as a boy who loves his mother in TPM is crucial to having the Anakin/Shmi scenes work in AOTC. That plot thread is well linked in the PT, and is integral to the storyline.

+ Anakin and OWK begin both AOTC and ROTS together, then split up for the middle of both movies, and reunite at the end.

+ Before parting ways on Coruscant in both AOTC and ROTS, Anakin and OWK say "MTFBWY" to each other.

7. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    This is exactly what I try to tell people who say that Anakin's fall in ROTS was to quick and easy and that they wanted something more grander and epic. But I tell them all the same thing....Anakin's fall actually started in EP2 and that EP3 is only finished up what EP2 started.

I mean at first many people bash EP2 for being a love story and such, but now after watching EP3. I would go as to far as saying that EP2 is the more important movie of the Prequel Trilogy.

8. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    AotC starts with peace, ends with war.
    RotS starts with war, ends with peace.

mirrors are cooler than true connections. TPM and RotS have lots of mirrors, same as RotS/RotJ.

9. rancor_ismydad

rancor_ismydad Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    I THOUGHT THEY WERE TWO DIFFERENT FILLMS?

10. Guy DuBlanc

Apr 12, 2000
    Lord-Draco, good defense against AOTC bashers. The slaughter of the Tuskens is very much a predecessor to the Jedi Purge. Anakin even killed children Tuskens in AOTC, which I think makes it that much easier for him to wipe out the younglings in ROTS. The Tusken slaughter and the following confession scene to Padme are very integral to the trilogy IMO.

+ During the Arena in AOTC, when Nute Gunray is getting antsy about Padme still being alive, Dooku says something like "Patience ... she will die." (Definitely foreshadowing, possibly a vision of Dooku's)

11. Guy DuBlanc

Apr 12, 2000
    + There is a scene of Obi-Wan overlooking a Separatist meeting in both AOTC (Geonosis) and ROTS (Utapau)

+ Anakin has a vision of his mother in danger in AOTC
    + Anakin has a vision of his wife in danger in ROTS

+ Obi-Wan closes a door using the Force in AOTC (Kamino) and ROTS (Padme's ship)

12. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    Here's what I came up with:

+Yoda uses lightsaber in both films and kicks butt
    +Palpatine has total control over the Senate
    +Clones decimate everything in their path (except Yoda, nobody can kill that little green guy)
    +Padme has a chrome ship even though she is not Queen
    +Padme can fly her own ship
    +Padme's life is threatened
    +Anakin loses limbs
    +Anakin loses his lightsaber

That's it for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.