main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Connections between ROTS and TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Guy DuBlanc, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    While watching ROTS, I noticed similarities with TPM. Here's what I have so far:

Both films have Anakin fly in space with R2-D2

In ROTS, when Anakin with Obi-Wan are on the Invisible Hand, they see Destroyer Droids coming down the corridor. This is a parallel to Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan in TPM

The only two films that midichlorians were mentioned

?I sense much fear in you,? said Yoda to Anakin in TPM
    ?I sense great fear in you, Skywalker,? said Dooku to Anakin in ROTS

Padme wears necklace that Anakin made for her in TPM (I don't think she ever wore it in AOTC)

Many of the music cues from TPM are used in ROTS (Duel of the Fates is used for lightsaber duels in both instances, Qui-Gon?s funeral is used again in ROTS, etc.)

Anakin appears before the Jedi Council by himself in both films, shows a bit of an attitude both times

Obi-Wan uses the rebreather to swim underwater in both films

Anakin crashes inside a Trade Federation ship in both films

The only two films that Boss Nass appear in are TPM and ROTS (OK that's a bit weak)

Both films opened on May 19th

2. WAF_Hellblazer

WAF_Hellblazer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    so what's it all mean?

3. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    That TPM was bad, and ROTS was great despite the fact that they share many similarities.

4. Guy DuBlanc

Apr 12, 2000
    I think it means that Lucas likes to reference his prior films. He does it all the time, in each film.
    There are a bunch of connections/references between AOTC and ROTS, ANH and ROTS, etc. (as well as TPM and ANH, TPM and ROTJ, etc., etc.)

The outfit the ROTS Queen of Naboo wears is very similar to an outfit Amidala wore in TPM.

5. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    Maybe that can be attributed to the fact that they were both the queen of Naboo.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    My favorite has to be:

Qui-Gon to Ani (when explaining about the Force) "Your focus becomes your Reality."

Palpatine circling w/ Ani in the Revelation scene of RotS: "I can FEEL your Anger...it gives you FOCUS!"

7. Klawria

Klawria Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2001
    Why feels the need to connect anything, we all know where it comes from or leads to. Just think, 30+ some years later (in film time) why would you need to do the same thing again? Way to many attempts and putting the same sequences in and trying to "over-connect" the films.....

8. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Obi-Wan is the one to "have a bad feeling about this" in both films.

Both feature funerals on Naboo.

Queen Amidala/Padme expresses doubts about the Republic in each.

9. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Obi-Wan: Do not defy the council master, not again.
    Qui-Gon: I will do what I must, Obi-Wan.

Anakin: If you're not with me, then you're my enemy!
    Obi-Wan: Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.

10. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    My favorite is:

"Fear (of losing Padme) leads to anger (hurting Padme),anger leads to hate (of Obi-Wan),hate leads to suffering" (Anakin getting burned up).

Yoda words make a perfect connection to ROTS. :)

11. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    It's interesting to see the "A Hero Falls" video on the official site. The look kid Anakin gives Yoda/Mace before the fade to black at "Clouded this boy's future is".

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/release/trailer/10.html

12. The_Little_Red_Jedi

The_Little_Red_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Isn't the Obi-Wan/Anakin/Dooku duel the only once since TPM which involves three people?

In AOTC, they never got to take him on together.

But yeah, I did notice a lot of similarities. I think it helps tie the PT in with the OT even more.

13. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Maul has "higher ground" on Obi-Wan, but because he's a sith idiot his overconfidence outdoes him.

Obi-Wan has "higher ground" on Anakin, and because Obi-Wans a focused Jedi he's able to use it to his full advantage.

- O_F

14. Guy DuBlanc

Apr 12, 2000
    Great posts, guys! These are all such excellent contributions. I completely missed these.

The Anakin/OWK duel in ROTS has virtually no dialogue. The only other saber duel in the entire saga that is like that is ... Duel of the Fates in TPM.

15. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    okay...i don't really understand what to say

16. Guy DuBlanc

Apr 12, 2000
    This one hit me just as I was going to sleep last night:

In TPM, Qui-Gon brings Anakin back riding an eopie

in ROTS, Obi-Wan brings Luke to the Lars homestead riding an eopie

17. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    The Republic troops seen in cockpit of the cruiser with Qui-Gon and Obi-wan at the *beginning* of TPM, and the Imperial Navy troops seen on the bridge of the Star Destroyer at the *end* of ROTS are wearing the same type of uniform - the Republic troop's uniforms are blue, while the Imperial troop's uniforms are grey.

18. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    ROtS mirrors TPM all the way through - this is on purpose. It ties both the PT & the OT together.

+ The stories begin with similar situations: two Jedi aboard a Trade Federation ship. Anakin destroys two missiles by "spinning" his "trick" in the Naboo space battle. They enter the ship as Anakin enters the TFDC ship in TPM - through the hangar bay - in the intervening years the TF have learned a few things & this time their defenses are better - same as the Empire with the DS1 & the DS2. Once inside Obi & Ani's droid battles mirror Obi & Qui-Gon's in TPM - even the "destroyers!" line & their escape - this time into an elevator. As in TPM the aim here is negotiations - which cannot happen since they are dealing with murderous enemies! Ani's landing of the damaged starship mirrors his gaining control of his damaged Pod Racer & later his damaged Naboo Starfighter. In TPM an Apprentic - Obi - kills a Sith in self defense, in ROtS an Apprentice kills an unarmed Sith who is defenseless.

+ Once on Corsucant our heroes are greeted by political dignitaries, ditto TPM; we see Padme wearing the amulet Ani gave her in TPM - its first reappearance since that scene; Ani's confrontation with the Jedi Council mirrors Qui-Gon's, "What?!" etc. again they are accepting Ani reluctantly at the urging of someone outside the Council; again doubts are expressed about him; later Obi & Ani repeat the scene on Naboo between Qui-Gon & Obi, the Apprentice apologizes, the Master accepts the apology graciously, only this time the Apprentice cannot make peace with himself.

+ Obi repeats his hanging-on-ledge from TPM in his battle with Grevious - the final payoff of this motif comes on Mustafar when:

+ On Mustafar, Ani pulls off Obi's flip-move from TPM which kills Maul but in Sith Obi is in Maul's position - he uses that previous experience to take out Ani.

+ TPM ends with the immolation of Qui-Gon - ROtS with the immolation of Ani. At the end of ROtS Ani dies, replaced by Vader & Qui-Gon is resurrected.

+ Both end with funerals on Naboo.

There are more I've forgotten but those are the major ones. They aren't coincidental - ROtS is the lynchpin of the series. It also 'foreshadows' ANH, ESB & ROtJ while paying off & mirroring AOTC. Brilliant!

19. Guy DuBlanc

Apr 12, 2000
    Lord of the Sith, that is excellent work. Really nice job.

I thought of the Droid Starfighters from TPM (renamed Vulture Droids in ROTS). We see them in the beginning of TPM walking and we see them again in the beginning of ROTS walking, and then they take off and join the space battle.

The only two movies which contain these ships are TPM and ROTS.

20. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    Good point Guy.

Also, when Ani & Obi enter the hangar bay they skid to a stop *exactly* the way Ani does in TPM.

Also, on a metaphorical level, TPM ends with a Sith dying & Ani being 'born' as a Jedi - ROtS ends with Ani, a Jedi, dying while Vader, a Sith, is 'born'.

Lots of parallels both literal & symbolic.

21. Guy DuBlanc

Apr 12, 2000
    Thanks to everyone for their contributions. I still think there are more connections that we will find on subsequent viewings of each.

I'm going to start a new thread, only this time it will be about connections between ROTS and AOTC.

I'll see you there!

22. Guy DuBlanc

Apr 12, 2000
    TPM: Maul says "At last...." to Sidious

ROTS: Anakin says "At last ..." to Palpatine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.