main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Considering a new official PFF meeting location

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, Jun 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    It's been suggested that we look into holding our official monthly meetings at Gamer's Edge, and there has certainly been serious talk of doing so, but the PFF Officers want to open up this discussion to everyone. Does anyone have suggestions for possible meeting locations?

The specifications we reqire are as follows:

- Room enough for approx. 40-50 people, including tables and chairs.
    - Geek friendly atmosphere, eg. some place that wouldn't mind hosting 40-50 rowdy Star Wars fans for 4 hours (at least). ;)
    - tv/vcr. This has been a big point in Atomic's favor so far since we were able to watch the footage from the line, etc.
    - Central location. This will probably be the toughest one since Phx Metro is such a big place. Please allow some leeway here as we will try to accomodate as many PFF members as possible.
    - Indoor public location. I think this goes without saying since the Tatooine twin suns are out in force.

Your elected PFF Officers would like as many suggestions as possible so we can have a good selection of locations. Once we have some suggestions we will start scouting out those locations and then make a decision before the July meeting.

So far the two locations that have been suggested are:

Atomic Comics Mesa - moving soon to a new location
    Gamer's Edge in Mesa

Word?

IA

2. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    I'll talk to Mike and Bill at Atomic Mesa to make sure that the new place can accomodate us. I'll post with the results to make sure that it is an option in the future.

3. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Should we add Samurai Comics to that list? (if size and availability are known, that is)

4. Jinnetics

Jinnetics Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 1999
    Is there any possibility of meeting at the downtown Phoenix Public Library? I think they play host to many different events all the time. But I don't know particulars. And you can't ask for a more central location in the Valley.

5. KCarnes

KCarnes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2002
    I see that "central" is such a "relative" term... ;)

KC

6. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Exactly, KCarnes. Originally, of the Atomic Comics locations (none of which were exactly central) we chose the Mesa store because it was the only one that had enough open floor space to accomodate everyone. But if we can find another place that meets PFF's requirements we're open to suggestions.

A library isn't a bad suggestion since they'd probably have lots of space (I'm assuming this would be in a private meeting room of some kind). Do they have a tv/vcr? Are there any time limits on when we could hold our meetings? I know some libraries have pretty limited hours on the weekends. Any more information would be welcome.

7. aero-

aero- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2002
    we could always hold the meetings in the living room of my apartment! there's a tv/vcr there, and the living room is pretty bare and boring, and there's two couches that pretty much take up all the room, so we could fit like oh...five people there. also, we have to keep it really quiet because my roommate likes everything quiet and throws a fit. plus we can't eat in the living room and like if we touch his food he gets mad. and like we can't laugh because the sound resonates well. but it's a great place to hang out! oh yeah, you also can't bring in children either, and i'm not responsible if you sit in that weird stain on the carpet. :(

8. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    LOL Aero [face_laugh]

9. j_lauron

j_lauron Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 1999
    I like the idea of the library. Only 'cuz Mesa seems to be on the far edge of the galaxy from me. :)

10. arizonasithlord

arizonasithlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2002
    library prolly wont wanna deal with us as we are kinda loud as a group. but it sure couldnt hurt to ask

11. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Potential problems with the library into which we would need to look:

1. Noise levels
    2. Availability of TV/VCR
    3. Are they food/drink friendly?
    4. Scheduling constraints
    5. If it's in a conference room (or the like) we would have virtually no public presence, therefore limiting our exposure to potential new members wandering in.

12. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    "If it's in a conference room (or the like) we would have virtually no public presence, therefore limiting our exposure to potential new members wandering in."

That's a good point. We picked up Void just by chance because his D&D game was running on the same day as our meeting. It would be very beneficial to have someplace a bit more public than a conference room of some kind.

13. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    I have a suggetion: If we can find more than one suitable location in different parts of town, maybe we could rotate. That way, the same group of people wouldn't always have to travel all the way across town every time.

14. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    That whole "rotating' thing sounds great to me.. im all the way over by Arrowhead.. sucks to drive to Mesa for everything..lol

15. CaptHowdy_00

CaptHowdy_00 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2002
    I know that you guys are set in your ways. But because of family issues, it's hard for me to make meetings on a weekend. A weeknight would be much better.
    Just a thought, I don't know if anyone else feels this way.

16. FiftyFootDwarf

FiftyFootDwarf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Hey, I'm new, but the Burton Barr library sounds like a pretty good idea. They do have alot of rooms for meetings and speeches, and they have A/V equipment.

17. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Guys, we need to start making a decision here. All your suggestions are great, but we need more info if we're going to properly evaluate a site. If you know a place that meets the requirements I listed above please post the full name of the site, address and phone number here, that way we can get in touch with someone who can represent that place.

Thanks,

IA

18. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I'll make a quick jaunt over to Gamer's Edge at some point within the next 24 hours. And since I'm out, I'll scope out the new Atomic location too. :)

19. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    What about Atomic Comics at Metro??

20. army_no_arms

army_no_arms Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Atomic Comics Metro does not have enough room to host the 30 to 50 people we have show up.

21. Darth_Bad

Darth_Bad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    Ok yeah I'm some what new here. I've only been posting here for a couple of weeks. But may I suggest a new place? I agree with Fifty this is the Phoenix Fanforce, why not meet in Phoenix??
    The Burton Barr Library is a good place, it has AV equipment and a mother of one of my friends works there. She could help you guys out.

D_B

22. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Not to seem condescending or anything, but you haven't even attended one of our meetings and you're already telling us we're holding them in the wrong place?
    Anyway, seems to me that we would probably be a bit too raucus to meet at a library and ever be allowed in again.

23. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    LOL!!! Yeah, libraries are places to be quiet, and we're a bit too.......

LOUD. [face_devil]

24. Darth_Bad

Darth_Bad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    I would try go to one of your meetings. The main problem is... it's in Mesa!! Plus I don't have a car!! I'll try to check with the Burton Barr library.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm telling you guys what to do or anything, sorry if I made it seem like I did.

D_B

25. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    There are several members of the group without cars who manage to get there... its called carpooling... simply ask for help and someone's likely to step up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.