main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Console Flagships

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Twink_Kee, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    What do you believe are considered to be the console flagship games?

NOTE: This_is_not_a_"My favorite game for this sytem is..."_question!

I'm asking what you think the general view is. So if you say something obviously ground in your own preferences, like "Blood Roar for PSX!" or "Morrowind for X-Box rules!" , I will call your ass out on it.

Also, you can list ONE alternative per console, since some of these choices are difficult. But that is it.

Here's my attempt. Feel free to add any systems I left out:

Atari 2600: Donkey Kong

Nintendo: Super Mario Brothers 3 (or maybe "Legend of Zelda")

Sega Master: Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Sega's first attempt at a Mario mascot)

Gameboy: Pokemon (hate to say it, but it's true)

Super Nintendo: Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Sega Genesis: Sonic 2

Turbo-Duo: Bonk

Nintendo 64: Goldeneye (or perhaps Mario 64)

Playstation: Gran Turismo 2 (tough choice)

Playstation 2: Grand Theft Auto 3

Dreamcast: Phantasy Star Online

Gameboy Advance: Super Mario Advance

GameCube: Super Mario Sunshine (already, which is pretty sad for GC)

X-Box: Halo (easiest pick of the bunch)

2. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    You forgot the Neo-Geo ;)

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    What about Turbo Graphics? :p

4. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    That's another name for Turbo Duo. Turbo Duo is just the Turbo Grafix 16 with a CD drive added (like Sega CD)

;)

5. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Hmm, I'm going to have to disagree with a couple of your choices.

For the Gameboy I think the flagship game was the one that shipped with every gameboy: Tetris.
    Perhaps Pokemon could be the game for Gameboy Color?

For the Atari 2600 I don't think it was Donkey Kong, but maybe that's just because I never owned Donkey Kong! I would tend to place games like Defender, Asteriods, Space Invaders, and Combat above Donkey Kong. All classics.

6. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Definetly space invaders for the 2600

7. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    "For the Gameboy I think the flagship game was the one that shipped with every gameboy: Tetris."

Good point.

"For the Atari 2600 I don't think it was Donkey Kong, but maybe that's just because I never owned Donkey Kong!"

Personal preference. Try to leave it out. I don't own 5 of the games I listed (like GT2), but I won't deny their presence.

8. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Bonk ruled. We had Turbo graphics for it's short run. Didn't have many games but Bonk ruled. Also had this game I can't remember the name but it was kinda like a FPS where you kill aliens. That game was scary because the aliens would come and get you when you lest expected it.

9. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Partially cause I'm bored but I gotta press Space Invaders. I think it is the most well known of any Atart 2600 game. Most people don't even know donkey kong was on the 2600 (I do cause I had a copy btw) but everyone knows space invaders. Oh nevermind. Pac-Man. That's the one for the 2600. There's just too many

10. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I remember playing Soldier Blade on my friend's Turbo Graphics for hours when I was little.

Good times. :D

11. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Hmph. I guess my memory is a bit foggy then. When I think of 2600, I instantly think of Donkey Kong. It wasn't my favorite 2600 title (I liked Pitfall, Krull, Maze Craze, Combat, and so many more much better). When I think of "Space Invaders" or "Asteriods", I instantly think of the arcade, not the console. But, then again, Donkey Kong originated as an arcade game also.

12. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Nintendo: The original "Super Mario Brothers" (was there anyone who DIDn'T have that game?)

Sega Master: "Hang on"

Gameboy: Tetris or SuperMarioLand

Super Nintendo: Super Mario World, or possibly Street Fighter 2

Sega Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog

Turbo-Duo: Bonk

Nintendo 64: Mario 64

Playstation: Metal Gear Solid

Playstation 2: Metal Gear Solid 2

Dreamcast: NHL 2K

Gameboy Advance: Super Mario Advance

GameCube: Super Mario Sunshine (or possibly "Rogue Leader", although i'm sure that Mario WILL overtake that one quite quickly)

X-Box: Halo

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Expect Metroid Prime to become the flagship title for GCN.

14. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Well, I can only speak for consoles I've actually owned:

NES: The Legend of Zelda. What can I say? It's a classic. Also the first NES game I remember playing.
    Gameboy: Pokémon. Have to agree. It's been a monstrous success. I actually enjoyed it too.
    Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It's what got me to buy the system.
    Super NES: Super Mario World. Another system seller for me. I still remember seeing the first screenshots and being blown away. Ah, memories.
    Game Gear: Sonic... something. Forget the actual title. It was the first Game Gear Sonic game with Tails.
    Sega CD: Um... nothing comes to mind...
    3DO: Rebel Assault or Gex. I guess...
    Playstation: Final Fantasy 7. While I prefer FF10 and FFT, it was one of the PSX's biggest smash hits and established the platform as THE RPG console.
    Nintendo 64: Super Mario 64. Another system seller. I used to go to Toys R' Us before it was released just to play it.
    Playstation 2: Grand Theft Auto 3. One of the best games I've ever played, despite its flaws. Also Sony's best selling game to date. And Vice City is looking about twice as good...
    Xbox: Dead or Alive 3. Probably a controversial choice, but it's possibly the main reason the Xbox survived its Japanese launch.
    Gamecube: Undecided. I've been rather disappointed with the major releases so far, including Mario Sunshine (and it's hard for me to say that since I'm a huge Nintendo supporter). I'd place my bet on Metroid Prime or the new Zelda game. EDIT: I might say Rogue Leader since it was the system seller for me if it wasn't the most frustrating game I've ever played.

15. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Rogue Leader frustrating, eh?

Well, i used to think that as well (that level where you're up against the Star Destroyer in a B-Wing was giving me FITS!)

Then i learned the secret to Rogue Leader: You can't be afraid to die.. You've got 3 lives, feel free to use'em..

Once i became a kamakazi pilot, the game was a breeze....Really :)

16. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Meh, even with an infinite lives code I still found the game extremely frustrating. I never did beat the Death Star core assault level because I got so tired of replaying the mission. In general, I just didn't think the game was much fun. Actually getting the TIE Fighters into view was more difficult than it should have been and their AI was so terrible that they constantly crashed into me. The radar system was always a bit of an enigma, even after getting a basic understanding of it. Having enemy fighters literally mimicking my every move once they were locked on my tail felt terribly artificial, along with annoying. Plus the incredibly stringent mission objectives allowed little freedom. I "loved" spending ten or fifteen minutes on a mission only to fail the very last objective. I also encountered a fair number of bugs, like flying cardboard Rebel soldiers. After following the game since it was first announced, I really wanted to love it, but I just couldn't. Oh well, sorry for the rant.

17. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Yeah, Rogue Leader is too frustrating to be fun. Even with infinite lives, I keep running out of time. :( And to think I bought a GC for it! :(

18. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Wow, I was thinking I was the only one. It got almost unanimous praise from gaming magazines and sites. Sadly, I think Shadows of the Empire's Battle of Hoth level was better than Rogue Leader's... On that note, what the heck is with LucasArt's obsession with probe droids anyway? They were in Super ESB too.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That ISD level wasn't that difficult, once you knew to ignore the Nebulon and just take out the ISD points 1-2-3-bridge.

The hardest part of that level is getting the gold...took me forever to shave those 3 seconds off my time and get in that extra kill. Course, now that I've done it, it's all second nature.

That crashed ISD level was tricky, if only in it's length and complexity.

Strike at the Core did tick me royaly, if only for the fact that lives meant little in that level. Tell ya what though, the feeling of triumph after flying out is nearky unequalled though..so it paid off in the end ::)

20. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i love the Endor mission, but yeah, RL sold the GC for me as well, i'm happy with it, but i wish the games would flow a lttle faster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.