main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Constructed languages in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Oct 12, 2014.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I suppose I have a split opinion on conlangs. On one hand, I think that languages that are mere cyphers for English are kind of dumb, and I prefer something with actual developed syntax and grammar. On the other, I couldn't be bothered to learn a fake language because there are so many real languages that I'm dying to learn.

corinthia likes this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm a cloudcuckoolander, so I just don't make that type of difference. You see, learning the principles of a language is mostly an intellectual exercise for me. (It seems you've studied Latin, so I guess you can understand that.) In that regard, a conlang that's developed intelligently is no different than a natural language.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I didn't learn Latin for the exercise though. People often ask me why I learn dead languages, and as stimulating and challenging as they can be, the primary reason I learned them is to use them. There's so much literature out there that's so much more interesting than reading in translation.

This also applies to French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese... almost every language out there. If I had infinite time, I'd learn them all just to be able to access the rich cultural heritage each provides. It's a link-up to a facet of humanity that you don't see otherwise, as languages change how you think and how you perceive the world. Added bonuses that I could actual travel to places and use living languages.

Conlangs don't have any of those. I appreciate the challenge of learning and especially creating them (I follow the grammar blog of the guy who created Dothraki and Valyrian for GoT)... but it's just not for me.

4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Now, I didn't learn Latin just for the pleasure of my brain either. Etiam civis romanus sum. ;) (But let's not start a real conversation in Latin; I'm afraid my skills are too rusty for that. Reading is fine, talking/writing not so much.)

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, Latin is a gateway to a ton of cultural expressions, from those of the Romans themselves to speakers of modern Romance languages.

I recall reading somewhere that Huttese was based on the real-life South American language Runa Simi, but I can't be certain if it was derived from the language, or a straight up re-appropriation.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh, I'm pretty rusty at Latin too. I can wrestle my way through a lot of it though, just because I had a natural knack for it. Greek came to me very easily too, but it also exited my brain just as quickly :p

Language retention is actually an interesting thing. I can understand retaining Greek and Latin because I was really into those languages, but I was pretty lackadaisical about Spanish and yet have somehow managed to retain some of that too -- though not nearly as much.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Pardon me? What words I can isolate in the dialogue (or guess from context) seem to be present in a proper Tolkein Elvish Dictionary

8. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I distinctly remember seeing the book in one of Helsinki's biggest book shops a few years back. And the Nordic online bookstore Adlibris, which operates in Finland too, is selling it for only 6,40 €. So yeah, you should definitely go north. :)

9. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    As much as I adore the Galactic Phrase Book, the linguistic information in it is one big joke. There's no discernible grammar in any of the phrases, the spelling systems are inconsistent and ambiguous, and most of the entries for Bocce and Huttese are straight-up jokes. Neimoidian and Gungan forms of Basic are treated as full languages :rolleyes:.
    There are some interesting word lists, but absolutely no mechanics of language.

I'm usually on board with the sillier aspects of Star Wars, but the lack of constructed languages drives me bonkers. It pains me to go from Greedo's elegant, exotic sounding Huttese to SE Jabba's "wanta dah moolee-rah", in the same movie no less.
    As for explaining the inconsistencies of Huttese, my fanon is that it's an extremely diglossic language, with a "Classical" variety spoken mainly by Hutts grading into a myriad of mutually unintelligible dialects spread out among the various species and communities in Huttspace. Of course you still have to ignore that even Jabba's speech is inconsistent between films, but the general idea works for me. :p

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would actually say that Gungan count as a creole language

So it is like English?

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I agree that Gungan counts as a creole, however, the entire concept of creolization is absent from the book. But you're right: the treatment of Neimoidian pronunciation is the real offender.

You could say that. I was thinking more like Arabic, but both work.

Jedi Knight Fett and Chyntuck like this.
  12. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Well, ancient Greek has a bunch of different words that can mean "with." Just off the top of my head, there's meta, para, sun, sometimes pros. Greek prepositions are kind of a mess, though, and I don't know of any other language quite like it.

Tolkien famously said that modern constructed languages were far deader than ancient unused languages, because their authors never invented any legends or literature in that language.
    Really, the entire point of his Middle Earth legendarium was to provide the literature, history, and culture required for his own constructed languages to make sense and be worth learning. His whole approach to language was that it was inextricably bound up with history, culture, literature, and myth, and he couldn't conceive of creating a language without also creating those things as well. Middle Earth exists because of Elvish, and not vice versa.

I don't know if that approach could ever work for Star Wars, though. Generally, I agree with Jello; I love learning languages, but I don't think I would ever spend the time to learn a constructed language--and if I did, it would be Elvish, which actually does have a legendarium, and not some Star Wars language.

13. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I hope someday they expand on Cheunh, the Chiss language. We have a few words in it, and character names. But that's not enough for me. :p

Evil.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Something I am a bit irritate about is that durese is supposed to be this second language for most spacers but what little we know of it comes from the list in WotC's Hero's Guide that explains what the duros name means. We have no idea about things like syntax and grammar

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Did we see any new constructed languages in TFA? Or new words for any of the old once?

16. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I remember back when Vector Prime came out, I made a list of all the Yuuzhan Vong words in it, with translations as given or inferred, and was looking forward to more data so I could have a go at "re"constructing the grammar. (I'm the guy who tried to infer Khuzdul grammar from the dozen-or-so Dwarvish words Tolkien came up with.)
    I think I even posted the list in this forum (under a previous username, I suppose) and someone told me I had way too much time on my hands. Which I then didn't, so that project was never finished :p

Another SW language I'd always dreamed of deciphering in my youth was that of the Dha Werda Verda. But then I saw Monty Python's "Best Joke in the World" sketch and thought better of it.

Oh and I made up a mostly-complete conlang for my first-ever Star Wars fanfic. It sounded a lot like Russian, and there were more than ten different words for rain. I think I still have the dictionary and grammar guide on a floppy disk somewhere [face_laugh]

17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Language nerds like us are even weirder than many other nerds. I remember sighing when I heard new Huttese phrases developed for The Clone Wars. Obviously, there was no linguist in the house. :p

jSarek and Gamiel like this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IDK, they seemed pretty consistent with previous depictions of Huttese. I know for certain I heard murishani, the word for "bounty hunter". Jabba also referred to Rotta as Pedunkee Mufkin, pedunkee roughly translated here as "boy", which is consistent with Watto using that to refer to Anakin in TPM.

And then when Jabba appeared in The Freemaker Adventures they still were consistent with their use of Huttese. I'm sure they made up a few new words or phrases, but it was definitely still distinctly Huttese.

And I'm not even a language nerd. :p

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Tolkien succeeded because he was a professional linguist, Star Trek I dunno-maybe the fans were more into that.

Sith and Yuuzhan Vong however I would want to see expanded

It is certainly a niche thing though-something that while always in interesting part of fictional universes I just don't feel Star Wars needs to get worked up over it.

20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I'll never be able to get over the atrocity that is Stuka Crispo for "Death Watch". Never. When stuka was first used, it meant "[it] looks like", and crispo meant "kill" in an informal way ("fry", to be exact). "Looks like to fry" makes for a very mediocre approximation of "Death Watch".

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A problem with made up languages in SW is how do you work with loanwords
    Mando'a is one that I find lacking and would like to see expanded.
    That could easily be explained with linguistic evolution - StukaCrispo isan old way of saying it and the separate meaning of thewordshaveintimechangetomeansomethingabitelse - and that all languages are full of things that don't follow the rules
    I have a fanfic where the main characters all speak heavy slang that I have based on nadsat from A Clockwork Orange with some Russian based slangword from GURPS Cyberworld and some other stuff. If you find that floppy disk, please share it :)

Barriss_Coffee and cthugha like this.
  22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    You can always find excuses, but the real reason Huttese doesn't work is that it was only designed to sound exotic, but not to be an actual, usable conlang.

jSarek likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd argue on Death Watch that it's the Hutts' fault for trying to make their own contrived translation for it into Huttese. Vanity in action, or possibly even mockery or contempt. There, in-universe problem solved. ;)

It's like hey, it might not be a fully formed conlang, but dammit if that'll stop us from trying to rationalize it, again IU. :p

Gamiel and jSarek like this.
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Speaking of Huttese, for the cantina song in TFA, are the supposedly-Huttese lyrics in it consistent with any prior usage of Huttese?

The only other alien dialogue I recall in TFA is whatever Quiggold says to Finn.

25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    More or less. No bata tutu muni, muni ("It wasn't me, lover, lover") uses the word muni, which is originally fan-created, and an approximate version of something Watto said in AOTC (No bata no tutu, meaning "Whatever it is, I didn't do it.")