main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

contact lenses

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Q99213, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey all, I'm looking to do a chiss outfit and a friend told me that there are contact lenses that cover the entire eye, not just the pupil. I've also heard that this is the method that was done for Maul's eyes. I would need these to get the red eye effect. Try as I might I can't find anything on-line, so if anyone knows a site that sells stuff like this, please post! Thanks :)

2. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    They are callled Scleral lenses and are not very comfortable to wear. Check out Lensquest.com- they have scleral lenses.

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Just as an aside, if you don't already have one, you will need a contact lens prescription even if you do not need lenses for visual correction. Lenses come in different sizes so a fitting from an optometrist/ophthalmolgist would be required. Other than that, the scleral lenses look really cool. Hope you get some!
    :)

4. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    I especially like their Fremen lenses from "Dune." Most cool.

5. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Wow! I love the Rebel lenses. The Dune ones would be perfect, but they are way out of my price range :( I guess I'll get a pair of clear framed sunglasses and do red lenses. Oh well, thanks! :)

6. The_Clone_Emperor

The_Clone_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    [color=006699]Greetings costumers,
    This post calls to three points I would like to respond to;
    1. Executing a passable Chiss. I am a great fan of the Expanded Universe. From a convention aficionado's point of view Grand Admiral Thrawn is the most recognizable and perhaps most often attempted EU character. That much being said I have never seen a Thrawn that did the character justice. (I will not be doing this character myself -- I'm too tall and will not be cutting/dying my hair.) It is the make-up I find lacking. Every instance I have seen the costumer paints his/her face solid blue, often with a straight-from-the-jar, water-based paint that flecks off midway through the course of an event. Personally, I would really love to see Thrawn done in grease paint, custom blended to a cyan blue base paint with a dark blue/black blended treatment about the eyes and under the eyebrow. I feel strongly that this simple treatment would add sinister depth to the EU's most celebrated character.
    2. About contact lenses for Thrawn. Those who bothered to wear contact lenses for their interpretation of Thrawn have worn the iris covering variety. I conquer with Mirax H's statement; red Scleral lenses are more in keeping with the Chiss' appearance. While 3 c-notes are an expense beyond the budget of most non-independently wealthy costumers, it may just be the price to pay to own the character.
    3. You can order special effect lenses on the internet without a visit to the optometrist. You need to be of legal age and know your prescription to do so. (I ordered my third fx set of lenses this morning.) But please be very careful. Your eyes are precious gifts not to be trifled with. Some novelty lense are not crafted to safe standards and may actually damage your eyes. Misuse of lenses by the untrained can also contribute to vision impairment. This prompted the FDA to issue this warning.

I applaud Q99213 approach of using red tinted sunglasses as droll and refreshing. Instead of clear framed glasses perhaps you could try transparent fishing line to tie the lenses together and around your head.

Enjoy.
    [image=http://www.paralada.org/Estonia_self/Estonia_images/SWgeek/Xizor_img/Xtest01.jpg][/color]

7. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Hey, just to throw my 2 cents in here. One more alternative for making ur eyes red. You could paint your eyelids red and close ur eyes for pictures and stuff. I saw someone do that for a Nightcrawler X-men costume years ago. It looked pretty good. So yeah. That's all! Later!

8. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Out of curiosity, can one wear FX lenses if they've had vision-correction surgery? I thought one couldn't wear contacts after LASIK, but maybe that means just for a year or so afterwards....
  9. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I would definitely go all out for the Thrawn. He is my favorite, and I don't want to do anything half-baked. That's why I'm not jumping on without doing my research. Thanks for the tip about fishing line. I may just have to try that. :)

10. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    I've costumed Grand Admiral Thrawn for about a year now, so I hope you don't mind my two credits.

1. Contact lenses: as several people have mentioned before scleral lenses are the best as the Chiss are generally pictured with all-red eyes. However, the cost and comfort factors are fairly steep. I've found that the regular colored iris lenses (I wear the Wild Eyes brand) to be just as recognisable, cheaper (I paid $25/lens) and, especially for someone who has never worn contact lenses before, very comfortable. I can wear the lenses to all-day conventions without a problem. Perhaps when I strike it rich I'll invest in a pair of scleral lenses.

2. Face paint. I agree with The_Clone_Emperor wholeheartedly that water based makeup should be avoided. I have been very happy with Ben Nye brand creme based paint. I start off with a blue base coat and then blend for effect with white and black from there to obtain a better skin tone and shadows.

Here is a picture that was taken of me at ComiCon 2002. My costume is always a work in progress, but I've been very happy with it.

Joe Corroney's image of Thrawn from the last issue of Star Wars Insider.
    [image=http://www.joecorroney.com/portfolio/Star_Wars/Star_Wars_Insider_Art/ThrawnFinal.jpg]

11. DGIredWeasel

DGIredWeasel Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2002
    Yes, you can wear contact lenses after LASIK.

I don't know where the rumor started that you can't. It is true you have to let your eyes heal and complete their fluctuations for the first 6 months.

I had the surgery done over a year ago, and every year through my work insurance I get a free pair of cosmetic lenses.

A poor first version of my maul costume, trust me, my makeup job on the tattoos got better as did a more recent redesign of my horns.

The makeup I used is from Reel Creations. The same folks who supplied the makeup that Ray Park wore. This might be of some help for those Thrawn fans. It has more vibrance and vividness than any water based makeup.

Alcohol based is the way to go.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.