CONTEST: Design the FanFilms Forum graphics!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    We've decided to change the graphics in the FanFilms forum to something a little more fanfilm related. But instead of reusing some graphics we already had, we thought it would be a lot more fun to let you guys create something.

That's where this contest comes in. Whoever can come up with the best graphics by the deadline have his or her graphics used in this forum.

The requirements for the contest are as follows:
    • A banner which displays the words "TFN FanFilms Forum" or "TheForce.Net's FanFilms Forum" clearly and visibly. It can also include stills from fanfilms hosted here, equipment used to create fanfilms, software that we use -- anything that would be appropriate and reflects the hobby. Remember, this is the fanfilms forum here at TFN, so the theme you decide on should reflect that too.

Example

• A background for the banner which extends to the right of the screen. This can be very simple if it looks good. It all depends on the style of your banner. The key is that it must repeat well for forumgoers with higher resolutions.

Example

• A curve image and left strip that you see on the left of your screen. Again, this can be as simple or complex as you want; whatever looks good.

Example (Curve)
      Example (Left Strip)

• An adholder which flanks the advertisement banners underneath the banner. Generally these should be one simple object that is mirrored for each side, but get creative if it looks good. PM me if you're not sure if something will work.

Example

PM me or post here if you have any questions. Also, you may post your submissions in this thread, or email them to me if you'd prefer to keep your idea a secret. :) I will be judging the submissions based on their creativity, professionalism, and accordance with the rules.

UPDATE:
    Your submission must be posted or sent to me by July 17th, midnight Eastern Standard Time, one week from today.

Good luck! And please do a good job, because I don't want to look at crap every time I log in. :p
  2. Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ooh, another graphics contest... yum.

You want all of the images used to be pulled from hosted fanfilms? No movie images at all?
  3. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    When is the deadline? Will the graphics be rotated like the Fan Film site?
  4. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    If you mean images from the Star Wars films, no, I'd prefer we didn't use them.

I haven't decided on a firm deadline yet. Possibly a week or two from now, depending on how much interest there is and how much time people need. Currently there aren't plans to rotate the graphics, but we might have another contest like this in the future.
  5. Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmm. There will probably be a lot of BA submissions since we all have those high-res stills from it, lol...
  6. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Cool. Who is judging the competition? It's not becuase I want to bribe anyone, but I'd quite like to enter as long as I don't have to be involved in the judging.

Is the colour scheme of the main board going to remain burgundy, brown and blue for the foreseeable future?
  7. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Good point about BA.

FAN FILMMAKERS HOSTED ON TFN:

Any and all stills from your films you can supply to this contest would be helpful. Otherwise we'll have to work with screen caps only, and while the newer films are okay, when it comes to The New World, or Troops, or TDR, or [etc], it would be better if we could work with images that haven't been so compressed.

Good exposure for your films, guys!

EDIT: I'm assuming only TFN-hosted films will be accepted as part of the graphics?

To save all you guys time from the get-go, remember that Mr. Big, Duality, cannot be included in any images. :(

M. Scott
  8. The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    Isn't "FanFilms" two words? Fan Films
  9. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    DorkmanScott: Yes, only TFN hosted films can be used for the graphics. And thanks for your callout asking for high-res images; great idea.

The Jedi Apprentice: I've always written it as one word. I don't think either way is set in stone.
  10. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    1 It can also include stills from fanfilms hosted here, equipment used to create fanfilms, software that we use -- anything that would be appropriate and reflects the hobby

2 only TFN hosted films can be used for the graphics

Just to clarify, do you mean that if you are putting an image from a film in, it has to be a TFN film, or are you saying that all the graphics period have to be found in a TFN film. So if someone decides they want a picture of a big clapperboard, that is not allowed, since it's not a TFN fanfilm image?
  11. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Daft: I ain't in charge, but I'm guessing the former.

Basically, we're promoting TFN fanfilms. So, non-TFN films would be silly in the banner. Plus, certain off-site films don't WANT to be promoted by TFN.

However, a clapperboard isn't really anyone's intellectual property, I'd assume that was fine.

M. Scott
  12. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Right. As I said above, whatever is appropriate for the hobby. Pictures of clapboards, cameras, screenshots of MAX, whatever. But if you plan to use screenshots from a fanfilm, make sure it's hosted at TFN.

Daft: Feel free to participate. I'm the only judge, jury, and executioner here. ;) And to answer your second question, yes, we can change the color scheme of the board, too. :)
  13. Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool. :D

I'm looking foward to this "face lift" and for the FanFilms board to distinguish itself.

I might take a shot at making the new graphics. :p
  14. Digidude Jedi Knight

star 1
  15. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    2 only TFN hosted films can be used for the graphics
    Well, that takes care of the best visual effects films out there not being able to be in the banner(Duality, Storm Ahead, Soft Drink Menice) Can we use images from hosted trailers also?
  16. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Macho, little bit rude towards KQ and BA there don't you think? They have some sweet visual effects.
  17. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    And SDM isn't hosted by TFN, is it ? I mean, it hasn't been announced or anything... Am I wrong ?
  18. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    not saying they bad just what I think is best AJ
  19. Dezion-Karr Jedi Knight

star 3
    Curious... when is the deadline? (Did I miss it?) And are people going to post more images?... curious.

:)

~DK~
  20. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Dezion:
    Quote:
    />
    />/>
  21. Sethesh Jedi Knight

star 1
    Make sure you guys pick one that shows someone banging their head into a desk, to convey how much time and energy combined with fustration goes into these films..
  22. Dezion-Karr Jedi Knight

star 3
    Alright, I know I'm not the most graphically inclined person on here, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Note: ***Strictly a work in progress***

Forum Test

ALSO

Here's one without the programs integrated.

Forum - No Progs

I tried to keep the images as neutral as possible as not to pick fav's. A lot of hard work goes in to every fanfilm and so on, I wouldn't want it to become a "who can advertise their film more" contest... hope that's all right.

I'd love comments... and I thought I should post where the images are from, as I scrounged around the boards for some. I hope that is all right. If an image of yours is in and you would like it removed, please let me know. :)

Ord Mantell - Lots
    Tie Fighter pursuing Z95 - Lots
    Camera - Vidman (BA site)
    Darth Vader - Vidman (BA site)
    Stormtrooper Helmet - Daft Maul (Storm Ahead site)
    Concept ship - Dezion Karr (and also, Artist, Chris Madden)
    Lightsaber - Ryan_W

Thanks All... (ignore how my name looks in the image :D)
    Peace

~DK~
  23. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dez, I really like that first one!

Except...it needs to say, 'Fan Films' in the title.

Other than that, great job!
  24. PadawanNick Force Ghost

star 4
    I like the film edge on the left bar.
    Very cool.

Have fun.
  25. Darth_Lord Jedi Master

star 2
    This is excellent !!!!
    The design is awesone, and the global look of the forum is cool :)

Also the version WITH the premiere progs is far better !

Nevertheless it would be perfect if you added more pix of fanfilms

Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.