CONTEST: Design the FanFilms Forum graphics!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with Darth_Lord... it took me a second to figure out how it related to fanfilms, and then i saw the camera. Something that was more recognizable to people would be preferable to me. Other than that, it's a great job of melding the images together. A better graphics job than *I* could do, that much i know.

-Chris
  2. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    That's a pretty good effort for someone who claims I'm not the most graphically inclined person on here (you old sandbagger you ;) )

Nice one. I feel it would be remiss of me if I didn't remind you that Storm Ahead is not a TFN fanfilm though. But that aside, it's a really good 'marker' as they say, and something for the rest of us to shoot at. It'll be very cool to have our own board graphics, already I prefer that to this burgundy-fest.
  3. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    A reminder that the banner must read "TFN FanFilms Forum" or "TheForce.Net's FanFilms Forum." That's not the only entry whose artist forgot that rule. :(
  4. Dezion-Karr Jedi Knight

star 3
    WOW! I go away for the night, and I get all these comments. Thanks!

I'll work on a new version with some of the things you all have mentioned. ( And Daft, when I said I'm not the most graphically inclined person on here, that certainly doesn't mean I'm the least either ;))

EDIT: Hmm... Here's what I've changed ~

FanFilm Forum

I gave the filmstrip a more prominent position... thoughts on that? I dont like the side right now ~ still messing around.

Veers - Title ok? :)

Peace

~DK~
  5. funkedelic_bob Jedi Knight

I think that looks amazing Dez, but just one thing... isn't FanFilms 2 words? Fan Films...?
  6. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It can be one word or two words. I have no preference.
  7. RobVMonte Jedi Padawan

Hi there well this is my design, I know its not much good. I'm not all that great at these things. Please tell me what you think.

This is the top banner:

http://www.elgtest.150m.com/topbanner.jpg

This is the side banner:

http://www.elgtest.150m.com/sidebanner.jpg
  8. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    looks good but you cant have duality, its not tfn hosted, atleast not anymore
  9. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think that looks great, Dez!

Only a few things bugging me:

The blue glow of the Title does NOT fit in, sorry to say. You already have the lightsaber there, and adding another glue with a similar tone kills the whole effect.

The top collage is great but the menu to the left ends things quite abruptly and I don't think it looks very nice with a menu there. The one you have above is enough, I should think.

Maybe you ought to use a more obvious saber, I'm not saying that Ryan W's longsaber sucks but maybe you should go for something that looks MUCH much more like one but without it being an official film saber. A saber like Lazersaber's or something like that.
    Maybe have the whole sabe just skimming the bottom limit of the image.

And finally, LOL at the photoshop snapshot in the upper right! [face_laugh]
    "Line tool, line tool, line tool, line tool....."
    Pahahahahah!

Carl
  10. Dezion-Karr Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm glad someone got a kick out of the line tool! :)

Yeah I agree with the glow thing... have been pondering how to change it. I was going to ask you about using one of your sabers for the top thing, maybe getting you to do a render. Interested?

~DK~
  11. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    Uh-huh. Sure, no problem.
    Which would you like, this one:

[image=http://www.iespana.es/djUvedoble/saber.jpg]

I can do it without the spikes too.

Or this one:
    [image=http://www.iespana.es/djUvedoble/saber2_2.jpg]

Also, you want a render of it totally from above, right?

Answer when you like :)

Carl
  12. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    I got some great designs (well, I like them, anyway), but my computer's going haywire. It may be some time before I can get them uploaded or sent anywhere.

So a generous deadline would be much-appreciated. :D (Has it been set? I don't see it in the thread.)

Rick McCallum loves you!
  13. Dezion-Karr Jedi Knight

star 3
    The top one is preferred, the spikes are fine.

~DK~
  14. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    here ya go. No stealin' so don't lemme catch anyone else using it without my authorization. ;)

[image=http://www.iespana.es/djUvedoble/ls.jpg]

Carl
  15. Dezion-Karr Jedi Knight

star 3
    On my way to see Bourne Identity... thought I'd throw this up before I left, comments?

Forum Layout

~DK~

EDIT: I noticed the saber glow is "cut" behind the handle... will fix when I get back.
  16. tumblemoster Jedi Master

star 4
    I took the liberty of making a quick template for use in the contest.

Dez - I noticed you were having a little trouble with the corner curve. I made a gif you (and anyone else for that matter) can use as a template for a layout, or as a mask or Alpha channel over your current layout. The image file is the proper pixel dimension for the current forum graphics except for the extended right side, which I guesstimated. This end isn't nearly as important anyway.

[image=http://home.attbi.com/~tumblemonster/BannerTemplate.gif]

Hopefully I'll find the time to enter the contest, but if not at least I can contribute!

-tm
  17. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks a lot, tumble!
  18. RobVMonte Jedi Padawan

Ok. Look guys, I know mine sucks, but it would be nice see some comments. A guy gots to know what to fix and do better.

Thanks.
  19. Dezion-Karr Jedi Knight

star 3
    Alright...

Thank you, TM, for your template; and thank you, Carl, for the Saber.

Here's my latest, with fixed curve and new saber.

FanFilm Forum

~DK~

Rob: I like the top, but consider changing the side images so they arent squished. Maybe... resize them? :)
  20. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey, Dez! Now THATs really sweet, man!
    I like the way you have blended the images to the left although you might be better off designing the whole thing as one piece and slicing it in the end, as the top of the left column seems to end rather abruptly near the saber.

Also, something caught my eye just today. About past half way of the planet, there is a white vertical line that passes through it.

Last thing is the text. I funno if that sort of colour is really apropriate. It DOES get one's attention but I think that neon-like tone just overdoes it a bit.
    Look at the current forum title. Its not ment to stand out between the other images but to be a title visible to those who take their 5 secons to study the top bar a bit longer.

Anyway, thats excellent work! Seeing as you're one of the few that are doing it so far, you will have your graphics chose. :)

Go Dez! Take your graphics - and my saber :D - to victory!

Carl
  21. Rikalonius Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think whatever gets done, I would like to see the little characters from the Star Dudes, uh, trilogy. Maybe along the side. And possibly a peice of Troops, the fan film that started it all.
  22. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I've decided on a deadline for the contest. Your submission must be posted or sent to me by July 17th, midnight Eastern Standard Time, one week from today.
  23. Rikalonius Jedi Knight

star 3
    Carl,

Your sabers are great. Is that Lightwave?
  24. The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    Too bad no fan filmmakers that are hosted on TFN are posting hi-res images. I only have hi-res from BA.
  25. Carl_el_cee Jedi Knight

star 3
    MAX, actually. :D

Anything good nowadays is made in LW? Grrr....

Carl
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.