CONTEST: Post your SW2 Review here!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Joshua Griffin, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Hyperdrive Jedi Padawan

After my initial viewing of Episode II: Attack of the Clones I was disappointed. Like all negative reviews, I felt the dialogue at times was unnecessary and action scenes far and few between. When it was over, I wasn?t looking forward to the next film, I was looking forward to going to bed. I was actually disappointed in myself for not liking the film as much as I had hoped I would. Though I did enjoy much of it, and some of the dark scenes (Tuskin slaughter, Anakins rage, every Count Dooku scene) were chilling, it was just too much to absorb and I knew I had to see it again to fully appreciate it. That?s where the importance of a second viewing comes in to play.

When the Empire Strikes Back came out in 1980 it had mixed reviews similar to Attack of the Clones. However, now it seems most reviewers consider it a Star Wars cinematic masterpiece. Why is that? Perhaps it?s because the reviewers have had 20 years to view the Empire Strikes Back more than once. When I watched Attack of the Clones for the first time, I was constantly anticipating the next scene and not appreciating what came before it. There was too much to absorb and I was very anxious (It didn?t help that my body was sore after waiting in line and sitting on concrete for 7 hours). Minor pauses in action sequences seemed long and annoying. I wanted to see Clone Troopers blast away droids and Yoda kick some butt. It wasn?t until my second viewing that I can honestly say that Attack of the Clones IS just as good if not better than the Empire Strikes Back. The long action-less middle section was vital for story development and it lasted half as long the second time around and many times more enjoyable.
    Kenobi?s investigation and confrontation with Jango Fett, the introduction between Anakin and his step-brother Uncle Owen, Yoda and Mace Windu?s mediation room scene, the romance between Padme and Anakin, Shmi?s tear jerking death scene, Anakins emergence in to the dark side, and so much more was all laid out during this time in the film.

After seeing it again, I completely fell in love with the characters. Some say they wished there was a ?Luke, Leia, Han? type of relationship in Attack of the Clones. Does there really have to be one? These are completely different characters with different personalities and situations in Attack of the Clones. Anyway, Ewan McGregor was perfect. His investigative tactics with Jango and good humor interactions with Dex the diner chef were marvelous. The expression on his face when he walks in to the diner and sees his old friend Dex was very amusing. Obi-Wan had character, charm and wit. I knew who he was and his personality. Anakin was a likeable guy. I had sympathy for him when his mother died and I wanted revenge too. His anger was ruthless yet legitimate. His relationship with Padme was heart wrenching and his desire and love for her was real. Some say that the relationship between Han and Leia was more stirring, but again, watch Episode II again and you may think otherwise. Count Dooku, all I can say is evil at its finest. Watching him walk with Sidious at the end was great foreshadowing.

Perhaps my favorite scene in the entire move was the climatic confrontation between Dooku and the three Jedi, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda. Force lighting, lightsaber suspension, close-ups, and especially the dialogue were reminiscent of the original trilogy and what was missing from the Phantom Menace.

If you?ve only seen Attack of the Clones once and were disappointed, you owe it to yourself in seeing it again. Only then does the true significance of Attack of the Clones in the Star Wars universe reveal itself. I give it a 10 with out a doubt.
  2. jedibri Jedi Master

star 4
    George Lucas strikes back, With force!

Let me say that no matter how well a book is writen or how good photo's look it doesn't help the finnal product. With that said after seeing Epi.II I feel Lucas made a master peice with AOTC. From the opening crawl to the ending credits the movie was non stop action, humor, fun, and most important a strong story.
    I feel that the acting was right on par with the OT. Ewan was the best. He truly is Obi-Wan! Hayden really brought the emotions of Anakin to the fore front and was very strong.
    But since I'm a huge fan of Mr. Lee's I must say that Lucas getting him was a master stroke. He is so imposing on screne. And a voice that is comanding.
    The final battle Dooku vs. Yoda is to this date the greatest fight in "Star Wars" movie history (Ep.III will have alot to live up to after that one).
    I must say the a common thread in SW movies all include R2-D2. In every movie thus far he has saved someone or aided them in some way. Once again AOTC is no different. Saveing Padme from being a little hot under the coller :D .
    Jango was ok. But I really liked the Clonetroopers. Very cool.
    In short I'm not trying to win any contest just trying to give a review. For me, this movie has taken it's place right behind ESB. The bottom line is it delivers on all scales and never leaves you wondering "why did the do that?"
    I'm going to see it again today and tommorrow as well. I have a feeling I'll be doing this through out the Summer.
    Thank you Mr. Lucas for makeing yet another good strong SW movie. I think this maked 5 strong movies now.
    I can now only hope the time goes fast for Epi.III. I'm going to be spoiler free. Because after Epi.III that's it. Not to mention when Epi.III comes out it will have been 23 years since we last saw "The man in black" on the silver screne. What was his name again ;) ?
    Rateing? 9 out of 10.
  3. Darth_WarEagle Jedi Padawan

I saw AOTC Thursday evening and thought it was a heck of a movie. As someone who was extremely disappointed in TPM, this movie really restored my faith in Star Wars. I saw the movie with my wife, who 'enjoys' stars wars but doesn't know anything beyond the basic details of the OT. I'll include some of what her thoughts were since she is what I would consider more of your 'average moviegoer'.

Here are some of my thoughts:
    1. The CGI...I was really impressed by the CGI. I was really turned off by it in TPM, but I thought everything looked awesome in this movie. There were a few 'blips' but on a whole it everything looked truly grand and awesome. Things which I thought would annoy me (like the 50's waitress) didn't, because they were done in such a way as to not 'throw it in your face I'm CGI' sorta way.
    2. The Stars Wars humor...TPM was rather listless and its attempt at comic relief fell flat on its face. I found AOTC to get back to more of the Star Wars humor we are accustomed to. I know many people in here are not fond of C3PO's scenes, but let me tell you all his comments got lots of laughs from our crowd, and I thought his humor fell right in line with comments from the OT. ObiWan also drew some laughter.
    3. The acting...After reading some reviews I was almost dreading this movie. Also, the trailers didn't really get me psyched, I really wasn't impressed with them, and the short dialogue that was in them really sounded corny. I really didn't have any problems with the acting. To me it was just "star wars" type acting...good actors having to say incredible corny dialogue. I didn't find Natalie Portman to be any more 'wooden' than Carrie Fisher. I thought Hayden did great too, although I look for everyone to really 'break out' when the crud hits the fan in EPIII.
    4. The love story...I was sort of dreading this but I found it to not slow the movie at all. The short snip-its of dialogue I had heard in the trailers which I thought sounded so corny, sounded better in the context of the movie. Walking out of the theatre, one of the first thing my wife talked about was the love story and how much she liked it!
    5. The Storyline...as someone who went into the movie mostly spoiler free I admit it was alittle hard to follow what was going on. I remember at one point thinking "who ordered the droids...who ordered the clones?". If it was confusing me i imagine it was confusing half the audience. Also, at one point my wife whispered in my ear "Who the hell is Qui Gon?" (to which i replied 'Liam Neeson' and she went 'ahhh'). I have the feeling alot of people probably didn't know. After the movie she said she didn't know one 'Darth' from another and that confused her. She does love Palpatine though and its funny how everyone can see right through his 'good intentions' (well everyone except the Jedi). That guy is GReAT as that part. The second time we saw the TMP, I looked over at my wife about an hour into it and her head was tilted up...she was sound asleep! There was no sleeping in this movie...in fact I think I only saw about 3 people take a 'potty/popcorn' break, which tells me that people were riveted and didn't want to miss a thing...That is the sign of a great movie.
    4. Comparison to the OT...I just can't rate this movie in comparison to the OT movies. They are just too different in story and special affects. I will say, that this movie 'endeared' me like one of the OT movies, and I truly can't wait for the DVD.

I rate this movie a 9/10. I felt there was about 20 minutes right before the 'droid factory' scene that seemed to drag the movie, and made it seem to run long. Other than that I have no complaints about any of the acting, cgi, or storyline. And I think the ending really has everyone looking forward to EPIII.
  4. yavinjabba Jedi Knight

star 2
  5. Hesprus Jedi Padawan

For those of us who really enjoy the Star Wars movie as more than just escapist entertainment, we have to understand that each episode is a brief highlight in a long, epic series that spans generations and covers the lives of many characters. Attack of the Clones is after all the second Episode in a series of six, and we must accept that all of the questions we?ve had boiled up for years aren?t going to be answered? even though we?d very much like to have them so. It is from this perspective that I went in last night to watch this movie. I knew, much like Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, I might be left hanging with unresolved conflicts, where the next chapter seemed so far off and I couldn?t wait to see its resolve. I wasn?t disappointed.
    Episode II picks up ten years after The Phantom Menace, and we are quickly reacquainted with Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman), Obi Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and of course Anikan Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) , now a brooding, handsome, young padawan Jedi. Right from the start we are thrown into the conflict of a Republic that is quickly unraveling. It is huge; it is old and analogous to ancient Rome, crumbling from within. Corruption and bad policies have had their effect on the once unified and peaceful government. Padme returns to assist the Supreme Chancellor in ratifying a military action to fight fast growing resistance led by the former Jedi, Count Dooku. A civil war is brewing but the Republic isn?t armed to fight a war of this scale. Padme?s efforts are stalled, however, when assassins unsuccessfully try to kill her. Obi Wan and Anikin are brought in (at the request of the Supreme Chancellor) to protect her. It is here that Anakin?s feelings, now more matured, are ignited for his boy-hood crush. A short but quick romance ensues, as Obi Wan is sent to find the root of the assassination attempt.
    Many critics have complained that the first hour of this movie is talkie and filled with useless bureaucratic drivel. I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. If anything, there isn?t enough talk about the conflict. It is one of my few qualms with the film, as I wanted to know more about the ex-Jedi Dooku and how he came to lead the resistance. That aside, I found the film moved quickly and was filled with dazzling action sequences and suspenseful, eye catching battles that excel beyond any science fiction film before.
    What intrigued me more than anything was the Supreme Chancellor. In Episode I, Palpatine was robust, healthy and energetic. Here he is sinister, gaunt and clearly under the toxic effects of the dark side of the Force. Palpatine creates an ominous feel to this film, as if his shadow hangs over each scene, and we (as the audience) witness the baleful forces closing in for the kill. The Jedi appear helpless and blind to everything around them. Even Yoda says at one point, ?The dark side clouds everything.? Indeed. Lucas triumphs at inserting a creepiness that I yearned more for and expect to be blanketed in when Episode III hits the screens in three years.
    In Episode I, there were complaints of stilted acting and choppy dialogue, incomplete characters and annoying creatures (a.k.a. Jar Jar). This movie, especially in the first twenty minutes or so, has a few bad lines, but for the most part I believed most of what I heard. Anakin quickly begins wooing Padme, and his inexperience with women is clearly written and well acted by Christensen. Although the romance does feel forced at times, it still comes off genuine in the end. I found the chemistry between Padme and Anakin refreshing, not unlike when Leigh and Han Solo hooked up in Episode V.
    The most powerful scene in the movie is when Anakin returns to Tatooine in search of his mother. We are swept back twenty-five years to Owen Lars? homestead, and it seemed so wonderfully strange to see that stage on screen again. It is during this time that Anakin clearly begins his journey down the dark side when he is thrust into tragedy just as he is reunited with his mother. John Williams ev
  6. JediSenoj451 Jedi Master

star 4
    I would like to start out by saying that I truly enjoyed AOTC. For my review I decided to list what I felt were the positive and negative aspects of the film.

What I enjoyed:

The first 1/3 of the movie: I personally enjoyed this portion of the film the best. The banter between Anakin and Obi was excellent. I especially liked the exciting chase scene. The CGI here was wonderful and the dialogue was humorous.

Anakin: I felt that Hayden did a great job. He was one of the stronger actors in the film. I clearly saw hints of Vader coming through him from time to time.

Tusken Slaughter/confession: Powerful. In my humble opinion, it was one of the better scenes in the film. I could clearly see the hate in Anakin's eyes when he turned on the Tuskens, and later when he confessed of the incident to Padme. If Episode III is full of scenes like this, it should be the best SW film to date. 2005 can't come soon enough!

Palpatine/Sidious: One word: Excellent. Well acted. He stole every scene he was in.

The Light Saber Battle: Stunning, though too short. Yoda...well, what can I say? The audience burst into giggles of delight when the master took out his lightsaber. Like most individuals, I was skeptical if ILM could pull it off. They certainly did.

Mace Windu: He was abosutely great. The audienced clapped when he decapitated Jango.

Obi Wan: Ewan fit into the role perfectly. I felt his best scenes were when he was lecturing and arguing with Anakin.

Disappointments:

Love Scenes: On paper, I felt that they were "OK." On screen, they were terrible. The audience was giggling and groaning with disgust any time any flirting occurred. I cannot think of the meadow scene without shuddering.

CGI: Every now and then I felt that the actors did not quite blend in with the background. In addition, in a few of the final battle scenes, the clones looked as if they came out of a cartoon book. However, I will admit that Yoda was well done as well as the chase scene.

Music: I have mixed feelings about the music. As other members mentioned in their reviews, several scenes that needed music had none. However, ATS was beautiful, and as older themes were used perfectly such as the Imperial March.

The Conveyor Belt: I felt that this scene did not enhance the plot whatsoever, and could easily have been cut. It was only used to show off the CGI, and looked like something that would appear in a video game.

Despite the few problems I had with AOTC, I still immensely enjoyed it. I would give it an 8.5/10. Just for a comparison, the following is what I rank the previous films:

TPM 6. ANH 8. ROTJ 9. ESB 10+.

7. prm1177 Jedi Padawan

First, let me say that most of the negative press reviews have got it wrong. Not because they are not entitled to their opinion, but because each of them is looking for something new and fresh. The Star Wars saga comprises 6 movies. How fragmented would it seem in retrospect if each movie were substantially different in tone and style?

As for the bad reviews of Phantom, it's a bit like trying to grade the "Once apon a time..." set ups of a fairy tale. It's impossible to judge a beginning until you read it all the way through.

These prelims aside, Attack of the Clones is surprisingly fresh view of the Star Wars universe. Eps 4-6 were the scruffy underdogs fight the impossible foe story. Now we get the dark machinations; the double and tripple crosses of the leadup to the Empire.

Hayden Christiensen is excellent as the slightly immature and volatile Anakin. There is a subtlety to his performance that stands up to multiple viewings. Natalie Portman is fascinating to watch as she falls in love with this man-child, in spite of her training and instincts.

Wooden acting? I think not. These characters have been brought up in a rigid and stuffy environment. They struggle with both their emotions and their abilities to express them. Nicely done.

Ewan McGregor should be singled out for rich praise as he displays both the confidence of a Jedi master and the wise-ass manner of a street smart cop.

Visually, the film is stunning and pushes digital effects and animation to new heights.

Better than all the other star Wars films, with the exception of Episode IV (how can you beat your "first time").

9.5 out of 10. It will hold up to repeat viewings, now and into the next decade.
  8. Oozer3993 Jedi Padawan

The past few weeks I have really been looking forward to Attack of the Clones. I was hooked on Star Wars once I saw Luke light up his father's lightsaber in A New Hope. I liked The Phantom Menace, but was a bit disappointed by it. It got tedious in the middle and the acting definitely could have been better. I still had high hopes for Episode II though. It had the Clone Wars and Yoda in a lightsaber battle. What more could you ask for?

I am part of a very small minority. I was able to see Attack of the Clones in its full glory on a digital projector. The picture was incredibly clear and colorful, and I was sitting in the third row! I already knew most of the story line due to the fact that I couldn't stop myself from reading spoilers. That didn't ruin the movie though. I was able to pick up on some of the cameos and throwbacks to the OT and they were plentiful.

The storyline felt like the OT to me right from the very beginning. Just like the OT it seemed to spiral from something small to a huge galactic battle. I thought the love story was beautifully done, albeit with its share of cheeseball lines. Natalie and Hayden worked well together, especially in the scene before the final battle. They both had their moments were they were a bit too stiff, but some bad dialog was the main cause. I thought the love story might detract from the Star Wars feel a little, but it didn't.

The score for this film was amazing. The Love theme was my favorite song, but every song in the movie was a perfect fit for its scene. In my opinion this soundtrack is the best one in any movie since the OT.

I thought that the special effects couldn't be that much better than Episode I. Somehow they were though. There is nothing like seeing hundreds of thousands of clones fighting the same number of droids. Not even that can compare to seeing 200 Jedi ripping apart 4 times that many droids. In TPM the effects were sometimes forced on you, but in EPII they are more subtle and of better quality.

You think you've seen a lightsaber battle? Not until you have seen Yoda owning Count Dooku in the final battle. He leaps around like a bunnie on Pixie sticks and uses the Force with ease. He even starts to trash talk Dooku! When he came on screen before the lightsaber battle there was a round of applause in the theater.

For the most part the acting was very good. Ewan McGregor was fabulous as Obi-Wan. He has Alec Guiness' gestures and mannerisms down pat. Natalie and Hayden do a fine job, especially Hayden. He conveyed Anakin's anger perfectly. It wasn't hard to see him becoming Darth Vader.

Overall the movie was awesome. The final battle alone was worth the price of admission. The storyline was great, the score superb, the acting good, and the effects breathtaking. You owe it to yourself to see this movie whether you are a Star Wars nut or not.

Final Score: 10 out of 10, A+, 5 out of 5 stars.

9. Tellesto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    To be perfectly honest, I first saw a Star Wars movie when I was younger then I am now (9 years ago) and my first viewing is something I hold to be ideal to this very day.
    Let me set the tone, you?ll better understand my stance on Attack of the Clones that way:

My family had gone house hunting with visiting in-laws and we were taking treks around the city to investigate various subdivisions and designs. Whilst a grown-up might find this to be an enjoyable and in some ways foretelling experience, I couldn?t see it as anything else but a bore.
    However, as we neared the end of our forgettable escapade we came to a subdivision that beheld a THX sound system and home entertainment outlet in each house, and of course, it was playing Star Wars. I was mystified, and openly so, resulting in my father renting The Empire Strikes Back that very night, and thus I began my newest venture.
    Mythology and Shakespearean nuances be damned, I was a child and I was suddenly enchanted by the images being displayed on the monitor. The Imperial Walker stomping across the snow covered wasteland, Han Solo sweeping in and out of a self-destructive asteroid field, Darth Vader?s demonic loathing and unnatural pursuit of Luke Skywalker, it was the stuff a young boy?s imagination was made of. The next night I rented Return of the Jedi and had the same experience? that of pure enjoyment and fun. The classic style of over dramatic revelations and battles had fashioned itself to my consciousness not because it displayed a naturalistic story cleverly executed through smartly crafted dialogue delivered by bold actor mannerisms? It did this because it was cool.
    Intergalactic Bounty Hunters, Warlords in spaceships, spice smugglers, Star Wars had everything that I?d imagined to take place in space, instead of plodding around questions of humanity and self-existence it used cliched dramatics to forward the adventure of such colorful visages.

Flash forward 3 films later, 9 years ago and one prequel film and we come to Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. How does it stack up when compared to the other films? Very well I?m glad to say.
    Picking up with a sharp introduction sequence, Attack of the Clones is the type of film that draws forth the kind of mysterious plot that engulfs a Saturday Morning Space Cartoon. A senator is in trouble, an evil force is threatening to bring an end to peace in the galaxy, and only two men, conflicted in their own respects, can save the day. Keeping up with the tradition dished out in the previous films, Episode II sees us with a host of imaginative characters to fuel the story and give life to political backdrop. Instead of Boba Fett, Intergalactic Bounty Hunter, we get Jango Fett, his father and also a Bounty Hunter. With a sleek suit of armor, host of dazzling gadgets and weaponry, and the dry personality of a simplistic Mafia hit man, Jango Fett is everything a Star Wars villain should be, and more.
    However, Jango is just the simple man in this story trying to make his way in the universe, his boss is actually the dark Count Dooku, who himself doesn?t make an appearance until the film is more then half over. Dooku is also one of those Star Wars characters who drives home the point that this is simply a cartoon realized into flesh reality. His cloak is black, and his humble villain mannerisms characterized by a charmed vocalism, ?Don?t worry, she will die? all tell us that he?s the thorn in the side of our heroes.
    Christopher Lee himself portrays Dooku with such brilliance and only actors Ian McDirmid and James Earl Jones surpass charisma that Lucas? trademark ?evil mastermind? euphoniums.

But if all epic saga?s must have villains, then we must have a band of saviors, people to relate to and understand as backdrops to the monotone of our own daily lives. Instead of an idealist farm boy, a drug smuggling starship pilot and a diplomatic hottie, Star Wars Episode II has a detective Jedi, an angst-ridden apprentice, and?a diplomatic hottie. (I guess the more things change the more they stay
  10. Monte-Cristo Jedi Padawan

First, let me warn you: I take these movies as pure entertainment, and although I admit the fact that they first and foremost are a way to make even more money for George Lucas, I won't let that spoil the enjoyment of seeing a good, flashy light saber battle. I hate those cynical purists who watch the new movies counting the scenes that will make great games which will bring even more bucks into ol' George's fat wallet. I'll let them live in their sad world, and instead of being a realist to the brink of being a cynical pessimist, I'll just sit back and enjoy the show.

OK, I just saw AOTC on the second biggest screen in Finland (hey, that's good enough for me anyway!), and boy, the series is back on the right track! When I walked out of the theater, it was hard to return to the real world - Lucas had succeeded in trapping the audience into the world of that far, far away galaxy, something that he didn't manage to do with TPM.

Don't get me wrong, I initially liked TPM, but not as much as I now liked AOTC. Seems like mostly everything that was wrong with TPM was done better here. Even Jar-Jar. He actually had something meaningful to do with his limited screen time, and he seemed to have matured somehow, even though his comments were still spoken in that pseudo-jamaican gibberish. But could you think of the Jar-Jar of TPM speaking something like the Jar-Jar of AOTC did in the Senate?

Ah, the worn-down, dusty, scratchy galaxy of the original movies was back! No more of the overpolished, too CG'd look we saw in TPM! The spaceships were looking more like the angular style of the original trilogy, although I think the explanation of the difference in looks and styles between the original and the new trilogy, when TPM came out, was good enough.

The dialogue? The people in our far-away galaxy have always spoken in the same manner. Why do they make such a noise out of it this time around? "Bad" dialogue is somehow such an integral part of the Star Wars experience so that I really don't care. And hey, Dooku's line about the use of light sabers is often taken out of context - it makes much more sense when you note that he first mentions they can not settle the dispute with the use of the Force.

The acting? Wooden, uninspired? I think it was good enough. The most interesting thing I think was that you could understand both the situation of the dutiful Obi-Wan and the frustrated Anakin. Here's Obi-Wan, trying to be a good mentor, but at the same time overdoing it. And then there's Anakin, superficially trying to obey his master, but unable to dump his feelings - love and anger. It's quite easy to see how such a frustrating dilemma can pave a young padawan's path to the Dark Side. Christopher Lee is a master of roles like the one of Dooku - he knows how to be dramatic enough while not making it cheesy. That mocking smirk during the battle against Obi-Wan was priceless. Natalie Portman seemed a bit absent at times, but in the end she manages to pull off her role quite well - the way she first tries to portray the formal politician, then gives in to her feelings towards Anakin is done nicely.

The humor? Threepio and Artoo are lightyears ahead of Jar-Jar when it comes to bringing comic relief. They actually do something, and don't just stumble along stepping onto a pile of bantha crap. The sight of Threepio's body with the head of a battle droid was just hilarious. AOTC also had some of the cynical edge of the kind of humor Han Solo used in the original trilogy. A great example: the scene where Anakin and Padmé arrive to the poles at the arena, and find Obi-Wan there.

The action? Every action scene was worth its place in the movie, unlike the yawner of a pod race in TPM. And at last we get some casualities (pardon my lust for blood :) )! Tell me, how many gungans we actually saw dying in the battle of Naboo? It was like an episode of Teletubbies when compared to the arena battle in the AOTC.

Yoda? I was a bit afraid of this particular scene, but the CG people had pulled this through nicely. The touch of ironic come
  11. j1atomic Jedi Padawan

Attack of the Clones- here's the run down:

This movie was obviously not as good as it could have been, but let's be realistic and admit that nothings going to meet expectations perfectly. Empire Strikes Back has always been my favorite and I suppose I was hoping for it's equivalent in Attack of the Clones.

Obi-Wan was great, given everything else going on in the movie I can't really expect any more from Kenobi. 10 out of 10

I didn't want to start off pessimistic so now that Obi-Wan is out of the way let's move on to some faults-

Coruscant should have been seedier/ more heavily populated. At least a couple bits of advertising were thrown in, but for the Time Square of the Galaxy there should have been a bit more urban culture. 7 out of 10

The Villain- Hi, I'm Count Dooku, now let's fight, now the movie is over, goodbye. This guy looks like a caricature of a kooky magician and his only good side is his involvement in the political jedi plot of the movie. He should have a mystical big ruby ring and sit on a throne. Lord of Stereotypical Looking Villians. 6 out of 10

Water Planet Kamino was done very well. It's inhabitants were realistic and the raining fight seen with Fett was great - 10 out of 10

C3-P0 was a welcome sight, his (or it's) presence added it's usually element, only in one of the battle scenes was he allowed to say a couple one liners too many, which was a slight distraction. 9 out of 10

Mace Windu was exactly what Mace Windu should be- spartan/wise/cool - a great jedi. 10 out of 10

THE LOVE STORY- it was needed, it was wanted, and it did not live up to expectations. Amidala's resistance early on was realistic and appropriate. The dialogue was weak whenever it wasn't flirtatious. I'd think only the True Believer will sit through the cheesiness of Skywalker's deep love without a smirk. The lack of music or flashy blackgrounds during their lusty scenes drew all of ones focus onto their behavior/dialogue- which while defensible was not entertaining enough. There was a chance to make history, and possible the greatest movie ever made, if Lucas had accomplished this love story correctly. The odds were against it, but at least an attempt was made. 6 out of 10

Other species- Think of how much time was taken to introduce us to the ewoks- there was none of that present. We all know who the Tusken Raiders are, if you didn't you wouldn't have really learned from this movie, but I was left wondering how all these big grasshoppers had befriended some of the galaxies high officials and had an arena built for themselves. 6 of 10

Monster/Beasts - While there is no monster in particular to fully replace a Rancor, there are a few that come close. Computer animations were done very well on these guys - 9 out of 10

R2-D2 - Nice rocket boosters, classic interactions with C3-P0. 10 out of 10

Skywalker/Inlaws - Great seeing the new family, however Mom's death actually drew laughter from the audience. Seeing her for the first time in this movie a new amount of depth was added. Having her croak the moment she's saved took all that crediblity right back out of the movie. 2 possible options- Tusken Raiders are seen killing her or she passes during the long and treacherous trek back to the moisture farm. 6 out of 10

Yoda- while some will hate his fight seen and view it as uncharacteristic, I'll have to say it was a great payoff at the end of the movie. 10 out of 10

What else? Longer fight scenes, more dialogue, more jedi wisdom, more emotion shown by the lovers, more close ups on the jedis in the battles. But

All things considered, the True Believers will be happy, the basics are all there and the parallels with the other episodes are many and often. We're all going to see it over and over anyway. May the Force be with you.

12. ArnaKyle Jedi Master

star 4
    Attack of the Clones: Episode II

After the hype (though significantly less than The Phantom Menace), audiences were waiting eagerly for Star Wars: Episode II, The Attack of the Clones. Sure enough, this is one fan that wasn't disappointed. The Force is with George Lucas again in his complex, intricate, and whirlwind tour of a galaxy far, far away.

The film opens like most Star Wars films, the familiar blue text setting the pretense, followed by the triumphant scrolling yellow summary. Right away, the action begins with a terrorist attack on a Naboo starship, reminiscent of Queen Amidala's ship from Menace. But a close up guarantees that the injured diplomat is not Padmé, revealing the shocked senator, still in safety. It's a beginning that will hold your attention for all 132 minutes worth.

Similar to its counterpart Empire Strikes Back, Clones has a dark undertone that shows the beginning of Anakin's transformation (both mentally and physically). Clones is far more violent then the other installments, featuring brutality in the Jedi fight scene. As Fett's head flies off, it makes Darth Maul's slicing look like nothing. Anakin's killing spree of the Tuskens will send shivers up your spine. Even though the ending of the film seems happy, the marriage of Anakin and Padmé is already headed for turmoil.

The love story is present, but the knowledge of a doomed relationship makes it hard to enjoy. It's obvious that Anakin (Christensen) shows passion for Padmé, his eyes have a lustful heat in them as he first reunites with her. Portman doesn't portray the affection as vehemently as co-star Christensen does, but shares a heartfelt kiss with him before the Jedi battle. The romance isn't wishy-washy, nor does it dominate the film. If anything, the love story adds to film very little, but conveyed enough emotion to make the conception of Luke and Leia believable.

As for the acting talents of Clones, the cast worked well together. Newcomer Christensen portrayed an angst-filled Anakin, but conveyed his lines with limited passion. His eeriest monologue came after Shmi's death, lamenting over his killings. Portman lacked the emotional intensity but delivered a clean performance fitting for a senator. One of the finest physical and delivery performances came from McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi), who landed quips perfectly and fought with grace and agility.

Other performances were equally talented, seeing a lightsaber-wielding Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu) was a high point, and Temura Morrison's portrayal of Jango Fett was gritty, tough, and mysterious -- perfect for a Fett. Joel Edgarton, an eerily lookalike to Phil Brown (who played Uncle Owen in the trilogy) made a convincing Owen Lars, as did Bonnie Piesse (Beru Whitesun).

Ian McDiarmid stepped down as prime baddie for Episode II, allowing the illustrious Christopher Lee to shine in the Star Wars spotlight as the creepy Count Dooku. Pernilla August appeared briefly as Shmi, and old favorites Tony Daniels and Kenny Baker are sure to entertain. Jar Jar haters will be pleased; the bumbling Gungan only has four minutes of screen time.

But the performance that stole the show had to be Frank Oz's Yoda.

The puppet-gone-CGI kicked butt in Attack of the Clones, wielding a lightsaber and showing off some cool moves. Though the fight scene seems short, it's sure to please anyone. The lightsaber fights are thrilling, including the climactic battle of Anakin and Dooku, where Skywalker briefly combats with two sabers. The Jedi are in full force as of Clones and amidst the sea of glowing blues, greens, purple, and red, the fighting will have you on the edge of your seat.

Effects are incredible, the digitized Episode II looks much better than the cotton ball clouds of Episode I, and the questioned Yoda looked terrific. It's obvious that ILM has done a fantastic job with the effects, sound is also appropriately done. The magic of Lucasfilm returns to create some of the coolest battles you'll see this summer to compliment an even better storyline.

13. Tazz-Man Jedi Padawan

Star Wars Episod II: Attack Of The Clones

I wanna start by saying that AOTC did not diserve all of those bad reveiws.
    AOTC was a great improvement upon TPM; with great fight scenes, amazing special effects, and.....well, there's the Yoda fight which is sure to win the MTV Award for best fight scene.
    Alot of people complained that the movie moved slowly until the last forty minutes, while that may be true, there were many great moments throughout the entire film, whether slow or not. I especially liked all of the stuff with Kamino and the clones. Jango and Boba Fett were very cool too.
    The love story part was ok, but I feel like i've seen it all before, in other movies.
    Oh, and Zam Wessel was cool too.
    Overall I thought it was great, but I need to see it again to decide where it ranks among the other Star Wars films.
    The best moment in the film was Yoda's fight with Dooku, the moment Yoda walked into the room where Dooku was, everyone in the theater cheered (they knew what was coming). AOTC and TPM are the only two films i've seen were the audience was so enthusiastic.

Rating: ***

-Matt
  14. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Cinema Thematics.

This guy has this great idea for a movie, but he needs to make it in several parts... and serials have gone the way of the dodo. So he looks at his idea, breaks it up into parts and says: I'll make the middle first, because that's what people these days want to see. Lots of space battles and a young hero on a quest, and a tough girl heroine, and a scoundrel anti-hero, with a bad guy that absolutely radiates evil. Yeah, that sounds good. I'll draw on a lot of mythic themes and then throw in some arms and hands getting lopped off by a merlin figure who guides the unlikely hero... and a few midgets, because I like little people.

If the middle part makes any money, I'll finish it in say.. a trilogy, and then if they do well enough, I'll make a bunch of other things, and then revisit the story in a while and this time tell the story of the bad guy...

Poor George Lucas. he really didn't have any clue what the world would be like when he finally got around to making his prequels. Now he's got all these opinionated fans mouthing off on the Internet and major stars who want odd lightsabre colours to deal with. On the up side, he has computer animation. Now he can make the movies he dreamed about, because anything is possible with CG.

Episode II is by definition a filler piece of the story, but as usual, the limitations of time and the personal focii of the author have determined that no one will be perfectly happy with the movie: I doubt even Lucas is, because he had to leave so much on the cutting room floor. Details that would make the story better, more sensical, easier to understand... chopped. Sigh. A lot of questions are left unanswered.

Things were cut from Episode I that would have made it a better movie, and we were lucky enough to see those on the DVD. I can only hope the DVD for II is as educational.

In brief, (hah!) then, a review.

Acting ran the usual gamut, from unintentionally creepy (Anakin's 'looks' at Amidala), to fantastic (Obi-Wan on Camino). Natalie Portman was very good. Ewan MacGregor was superb. Christopher Lee had me questioning whose side he was on, which I really appreciated. Ian McDiarmid was very solid, as were the various Jedi we saw up close, in council or in battle. The actor who played Owen Lars was also good. Hayden Christiansen could have been better, but I think he had a poor script to work with, and a non-acting director only made his job more difficult.

CG: too much, with all the flaws of CG FX. Used in scenery and world-building: brilliant; used in combats and to expand the vistas: overused. I was thrilled by the sight of Yoda taking up his weapon, but not very happy with the hummingbird effect of his combat: most of the time, he's a blur. I liked him much better in the child Jedi scene, or directing the strategy of the first battle of the Clone Wars.

Music: clever, but not very groundbreaking. I particularly liked the fall-off when Amidala stops the first kiss: that was cute. I can see how it could have been better: I think Duel of the Fates was a masterpiece, and Williams may always be reaching for that height again.

Costumes: how many outfits does a Senator need? :) I also must revert to my ancient argument about Jedi Robes: apparently Tatooine is the refuge of the Jedi after the Purge, because everyone in the original trilogy dresses like old Ben. He was fitting in with them. After Episode I, it appears all the Jedi dress that way... that just makes no sense to me. (And the bland palate: a truly brilliant piece of fan fiction once postulated that perhaps the jedi wear such bland colours because Yoda, who does all the fabric shopping, has a limited perceptual palate: tan and taupe and sand and browns look as vibrant to him as a rainbow... :) ) But I'll swallow my pride and make my robes and wear them to cons, because they are infinitely identifiable as Jedi now. The other costumes of the film were great: mostly very believable clothing, which I appreciate.

Combat: My respect for Nick Gillard as a fight choreographer is really high,
  15. DarkSideGoodGuy Jedi Knight

Bottom line: I liked it, I really really liked it.

Now into more detail...

1. Anakin: I think Hayden Christensen was awesome...I may even go as far to say that he was flawless as Anakin. He didn't come off as the a-hole I thought he would've been. But he is brash and arrogant...and very strong...yet also very weak, vulnerable, conflicted and torn, and Hayden executed Anakin's character in excellent fashion. What we should all understand is that unlike the rest of the Jedi, he is driven purely by emotion (as opposed to duty) -- particularly by the love for his mother and the love for Padme. Any critic that thinks Anakin isn't anywhere near what Vader is fails to see that, in AOTC, Anakin perfectly undergoes a high-impact transition away from being the little boy we knew from TPM. Certainly, his intentions are good in AOTC, but his means of and decision-making abilities to fulfill them are not what you'd expect to find within a Jedi knight. Anakin is nothing close to the evil Darth Vader, but he's definitely getting there.

Obi-Wan: Ewan McGregor has the character down -- completely. Lucas puts Obi-Wan on the forefront of this film through the dectective story device (now who has issues with Lucas' storytelling ability -- BLEH!!!). He's almost like James Bond -- he's in control of the situation, shoots off humerous one-liners every now and then, and efficient with his words and actions, but not as omniscient as Bond, nor does he have the desire to get laid multiple times throughout his adventure. The only problem I had with Obi-Wan was that he seemed way too cheerful to see Dexter in the diner scene. I thought Jedi were supposed to be a little more even-keel.

Anakin/Obi-Wan: They interacted well, but I think there was too much 'tough love' between the two. It's definitely a different type of relationship that Obi-Wan had with Qui-Gon in TPM, and to a greater degree was a different type of relationship that Luke had with Obi-Wan in the OT. However, come to think of it, the Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship approaches the relationship that Luke had with Yoda in TESB (the master tries to teach the apprentice the right way to do things, while the apprentice prematurely thinks he's ready to do things his own way and does so). Corniest line of the movie, though -- after the clone trooper blows up the tower during the battle scene,
    Obi-Wan yells to Anakin "GOOD CALL, MY YOUNG PADAWAN!!!"...bleh.

Padme: the fact that she fell in love with Anakin saved this character. It's nothing against Natalie Portman, but I don't feel that Padme developed as well as I thought she would have in this film.

Love Story: I remember reading in Vanity Fair that Lucas said that this would be a 'love haiku' more than a 'love sonnet', that it was too short and too shallow to be a full-fledged love story. I saw as he described in AOTC, and although I felt that the love story was a little rushed, I wasn't dissapointed at all. The dialogue between Anakin and Padme didn't bother me at all -- I can understand that the 'high-speak' they express because that's the way they were trained to behave (he's training to be a Jedi, she's a senator -- being 'down-to-earth' doesn't exist in this galaxy because, well, Earth doesn't exist in this galaxy :)).

Jango Fett/Boba Fett: what a wonderful ruthless father/son pair. I really loved the asteroid belt chase.

Yoda: Indeed, size matters not. He was great as all CGI. He never seemed completely happy with the way things were going throughout the story -- even when he was giving marching orders to clone troopers. He was very reluctant to fight, but man, when he does, you would've wished that you didn't egg him on.

Mace Windu: Who's the cat that comes through ten times out of ten? Yeah that's right.

Palpatine: A master manipulater, 'nuff said.

Count Dooku: Another master manipulator. I wish I'd seen a longer lightsaber duel between him and Obi-Wan and Anakin, but he was literally toying with them. And then, of course, he got absolutely schooled in t
  16. Verdi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Two things first:

1.) I'm not some random kid voicing Ebert & Roeper complains to get a flame started. I've been obssessed to the point of noticing every Star Wars film?s camera pans down after the beginning text that scrolls to infinity. Except AOTC. Why does it pan up? It's Lucas' way of saying, "This is my SHOT (get the pun?), my Attack, at all you critics of Phantom Menace."

2.) YOU can't give this movie special consideration just because it's Star Wars. It deserves the same meticulous objective criticism as any new movie entering the film scene, including evaluating the movie as a whole and not dividing it up and clinging on to the parts that were good just b/c it?s Star Wars.

First, Standard criticism: The acting, dress, and camera shots during crucial scenes (i.e. Anakin and Padme by the fireplace) were so bad that people in the audience were laughing out loud at ALL three viewings I went to. People came to this movie being fully-aware of the Lucas Legacy, and ended up being so aroused by the scene's horrible execution as to LAUGH out loud. This is the only way of expressing how badly these scenes were done. In any story it's so difficult to gain the sense of a character's integrity once you lose it, especially from the audience's point of view. Why should we care? You have to show us, director. Prove to us that these people mean something. If it wasn't bad enough that people were laughing at the dialogue, they were also laughing at the sparkly black leather S&M garb Padme had on that managed to push her breasts up and lock on her neck like a leash. Everything about this scene was horrid ? acting, dialogue, dress, camera shots. And this wasn?t the only scene like this. What about the ?special? moment when Padme confesses her love for Anakin? Even though I barely remember you and were convinced you were still a kid until a couple days ago my heart hurts every day since you?ve come back into my life. Sorry Lucas, but the immanency of death doesn?t make the unbelievable believable.

Everyone I've talked to that hasn't read the script beforehand was entirely confused with the movie. It went from the promising Star Wars logo at the beginning to 2 hours of waiting in boredom for an anti-climactic lightsaber fight (more on this later). How can we identify with characters if we can't even ascertain what's happening!? More importantly, how can we enjoy being lost in a puzzle, or gain any form of value from the tale? Lucas switched scenes more often than he introduced new plot lines (which is a wonder). With so much to absorb it?s a marvel anyone stayed in the theatre ? if this were any movie that didn?t bear the Star Wars logo that wouldn?t have been the case. We knew there was going to be a big action sequence at the end that doesn?t require any thought. At least we have that to hold onto, right? Wrong.

Yoda: For all of you who thought Yoda was great in this film, flip a little after half into Empire and see Yoda in all his glory. THIS was not Yoda. Not only did he not sound like Yoda audibly, but everything he said made me want to pick him up and choke him till he turns green. His superfluous dialogue unfortunately was exacerbated by his being CGI and his horribly glamorized and executed fight sequence (please keep reading). He says, ?Until caught this killer is, our judgment she must respect.? WHAT!? How about ?Listen she will.? And he just wouldn?t SHUT UP in his slow, unsteady dribble. As if this weren?t bad enough, Yoda has turned from the lovable, joking, but wise Jedi Master to a machine spewing tiring lines? where?s the sense of humor (besides the one line in the training process)? Yoda?s being CGI didn?t help either. He didn?t look real, or maybe too real compared with the background, to be believed, and just like Anakin and Padme, in his horribly executed and written dialogue, he falls into the category of uninteresting and unbelievable puppets who we tolerate because we expect some prize at the end for enduring this boredom.

What prize? Maybe some good fi
  17. UrbanJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    The Lucasfilm logo hit the screen and the crowd went wild. That was the scene Wednesday night/Thursday morning as I viewed the 12:01 AM premire of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. Before I go any further, let me say that this movie was awsome! I was spoiled, I must say thanks in no small part to TF.N, but that didn't ruin it for me.
    As the opening crawl ran up the screen, I found that it was much more informative than the Episode I crawl. The only reason I mention this minor detail at all, is because I thought with TPM, the crawl should have been a little more precise. In AOTC, we already knew who most of the major players were (Dooku who?) and therefore knew what to expect from them all.
    The scenes that followed were intense. The handmaiden death scene was a little cheesy (very overacted) but I, unlike some Star Wars fans expect that kind of cheesiness from these movies. It's part of their charm as far as I'm concerned.
    The assanation scene was very well done. Even though I knew that Padme lives, I was on the edge of my seat, squirming, as the poisonus worms crawled up her bed. And Obi-Wan jumping out the window began a scene I thought was more intense and entertaining than the pod race scenes from TPM. Let me state something here. I am [bold]NOT[/bold] a TPM basher. I enjoyed TPM. I just enjoyed this movie a hell of a lot more.
    I thought the night club scene was classic, and really enjoyed the quick pan cameos by some of our favorite stars. Finally Anthony Daniels' face is seen in a Star Wars movie!
    I completely enjoyed the way Hayden Christiansen and Ewan McGreggor played off of each other. The sarcasm was remeniscent of Star Wars movies past. Wonderful job!
    The scenes in which Obi-Wan goes to Kamino and Anakin and Padme go to Naboo were somewhat lengthy, I think could have been really boring had they not contained so much vital information to the story. I liked the scene with Yoda and the "younglings." "Obi-Wan has lost a planet. How embarrassing." If that's not classic Yoda sarcasm, I don't know what is.
    The Anakin/Padme romance scenes were very will done and I thought they showed tremendous fireworks and chemistry together. I was interviewed by a Washington D.C. news radio station while in line on Wednesday night and then following the movie, and the reporter made the comment to me that she thought there was too much love story. (You can listen to that interview here. I told here that they had to fall in love sometime, and it had to be shown. The looks Anakin gave Padme were lustful and you could almost see the hint of dark side that is yet to come. My only complaint is Anakin was too much of a whiner. He whined about Obi-Wan, he whined about his mother. I wanted to spank him and send him to his room. Thankfully there wasn't a whole lot of that.
    I enjoyed the Tatooine scenes with two exceptions. I thought the Tusken Raider scene should have been extended somewhat. While I understand that Lucasfilm could only show so much, and still keep a PG rating, I think there was more that could have been done. If more was filmed for that scene (as it plays out in the novel) I would really like to see it as a "deleted scene" on the DVD this fall. The other, was the Shmi death scene. If this wasn't corny Star Wars acting, I don't know what is. Disappointed is probably the wrong word to use. But I did groan when she exagerated the head fall.
    The scenes on Genosis were nothing short of amazing. The Padme line..."I've died a little everyday..." was breathtaking. It's probably one of the best Star Wars romantic lines ever. And when Mace Windu arrived, I got shivers. I'm a big Samuel L. Jackson fan, and I could almost here the 70's style funk guitar playing as he sauntered into the arena. And then, to see hundreds of lightsabers igniting, well that was a life long Star Wars fan's dream come true. The battle to follow was spectacular. Truly a job well done by the folks at ILM.
  18. Darth_Tyrannous Force Ghost

star 4
    Enough can't be said about this movie

Everyone know's the story to this movie so i will skip that part. I truly beleive this is a wonderfull movie regardless what the nay sayers will say (this time, unlike with tpm, they're in the minority). Let me cover the various aspects.

Acting: right off the bat, i think this is probably was the hardest star wars movie for the actors to pull off. So many various emotions to convey. I think everyone did a great job.

Hayden: Brilliant. I've seen him in Higher Ground, Life as a House and now AOTC. Never stops to amaze me. He put these little touches into anakin that made him so real. His best scenes were without a doubt the tusken massacre, the confession and the argument with obi wan on the ship before fighting dooku. I think Hayden's delivered 95% of his lines perectly, the other five i would chop up to bad scripting in the scene where he tells padme he loves her (and he even managed to make those work for the most part).

Ewan: Aamazing, he just is so much like Sir Alec. He was great in all his scenes with Hayden, they had a great relationship. His scenes on kamino were also great how he acted confident yet surprised at the same time. And yes, the scene with Jango ruled.

Natalie: Very good. She is more of a mixed bag but way more consistent than in TPM and, was able to breathe life into her character. I think the love confession scene sounded way better with Hayden and Natalie's delivery (plus williams score) then what it could've been. Could've just about ruined the whole movie and you know what, i bought it. (BTW, great look hayden gave nat when she said she loved him).

Sam Jackson: Alot more to do. I really dug the fact that he had great dialogue with yoda making them seem like friends. I wasn't big on the 'this party's over' line but overall, he ran circles around his TPM performance.

Temuera Morrison: Made quite an impact for a man with such little screen time. Really had one important scene (the one with obi wan in his apartement) and he pulled it off great.

Ian Mcdirmid: Great, looks more and more like the ROTJ emperor. I almost wanted to scream at the guys on screen that he was evil and a sith lord. Great job.

Christopher Lee: Wished he had more scenes but he rocked in all his scenes. I especially liked the look he gave when he chopped off anakin's arm, you just know that will play a part in Ep3.

Everyone else did a wonderfull job in their roles but i beleive these are the most important (excluding yoda).

I think the story was wonderfullly written leaving many things open but in a good way. Like the 'i wanna see ep 3 now' way. I also like how it had a continous narative unlike TPM and was much more involving.

The romance I won't lie, i really dug it. Sure Padme's family scenes could've helped but i think the romance really worked. I liked the scene in the field, the scene at the table, anikin's confession about the tusken raiders and the love confession. Williams score really did it for me, it really helped alot.

The action Yes, the action in this movie is awesome. I think the best part of the jango vs. obi wan fight was the hand to hand section, really cool. My only disspointement was that we had seen basically the whole scene when you put together the trailers, commercials and connection videos. The asteroid chase was good. The coruscant chase was amazing. Mace windu vs. jango was short but sweet, mace was too good in that. The whole arena sequence from the reek, aclay and nexu all the way to the arrival of the jedi was amazing. Then we come to the clones. I love the clones, so cool, they were nice (the guy who helped padme). The way they reponded to anakin's order. The way they helped out the jedi who had fallen. Amazing sequence. Makes the one in TPM look like garbage. Finally the whole lightsaber battle from obi wan vs. dooku to yoda vs. dooku was awe inspiring and probably my favorite in all of star wars (that or the ESB one).

So in the end, yes some (and i mean very little)of the scripting w
  19. Sith_Hunter Jedi Knight

star 1
    Me? Review Episode 2? Okay. I take my advice over a bunch of TV/News critics who sit around and bash everything except 'Memento,' because it was "different." If you can't do, criticize I always say, and I'm not a film director, so here goes.

Let's revisit this Star Wars saga as George Lucas invented it, and look at George Lucas himself, so we don't get hung up relating AOTC apples to Godfather oranges, kay?
    1. George Lucas set out to make a space saga based on the old Flash Gordon serials. First off, have anyone of us (including you critics out there...) actually found and watched one? Waiting... Waiting... Oh two, yes I see those hands. Those serials were story based, not moving deep characters, not special effects (space ships on strings with smoke bombs in the back, so we get a treat of CGI and blue screens), not great acting, not anything but a story that moves. Will Flash escape from the DoBadians? We'll find out next week... Star Wars are Flash Gordon inspired, keep that in mind people.
    2. George Lucas has never acted. George Lucas is more of an avante gard filmmaker. Feelings, my images, symbols, etc. George is not an actor's director. Never has been, never will be. He originally wanted to do animated films (no actors). George is committed to the story being pushed forward. The story is the thing, not the actors. The script and dialogue could be stilted and stiff, but if the track is laid for the story to be pushes forward, than he has done his job. The story going forward is the most important thing to George (repeat it a few times).
    3. The film double trilogy (the full story) isn't done. Remember it isn't done. Loose ends abound, unanswered questions, characters that don't act as we think they should haven't stepped into the Ep 4-6 timeframe yet, so just relax and let them progress.
    4. ANAKIN IS 20 YEARS OLD!!! HE IS IN LOVE FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! Has everyone forgotten what it was to be in love at 20? I don?t, I said the same things (You are in my soul), and felt the same feelings. Most of the dumb critics hate the wives, girlfriends, lovers, etc, and don't have a kind, warm loving feeling left in them. Love, romance, that 'high' feeling, that feeling that makes you say and do crazy stuff. Think of this the next time you meet a blind date.
    5. Everything is too CGI they say. Fine, go watch 'Battle Beyond the Stars' to see some un-cgi effects. Or better yet, pick any Superman (after the first) or Supergirl movie. We are so jaded, and so fortunate, and don't even know it.

Okay, the movie. Ep 1 was expository, and long and boring, but expository. We knew who Ani was, Maul, Emperor, etc. Ep 2 was great. Exposition is over, let's go. I enjoyed it. It was a cliffhanger, like ESB, but it wasn't ESB (duh).

Love Story. Great, see above. It was quick, but the story has to be pushed forward to fold in everything else. I'd fall in love with her too.

Anakin's rage. Great- I felt it coming off the screen. His 'whining' about everything was just like every one of us ('He's (they) are holding me back', 'He (they) doesn't see that I'm capable of more'), I never thought it was a leap to believe this 20 year-old was impulsive, because I was (and am) the same way. So, in my book, acting (checking off) believable.

Tusken Raiders. Ok, a weakness in my book. Why did they capture Shmi, and for what purpose? Maybe the DVD will fill us in, or maybe the book will give us clues.

Seismic Charges. Awesome.

Obi Wan. Ewan was a bit regal in his speech pattern, but he has big shoes to fill. He did a great job showing and telling Anakin. He wasn't an aloof wizard like a shaolin priest who rattled off confusing phrases. He was smart, and only used forced when he had to.

Jedi Knights. When George first described them, I always thought they were a cross between an Old Testament Judge (Judges is in my top 10 books of the Bible, you should read it and you will see, too.)/private investigator. This really comes across now. Settling disputes, protecting dignitaries, etc. It seemed a little bit like Miami Vice in
  20. PepperSpray_Windu Jedi Padawan

I feel it safe to say, that most of us here think that even a bad Star Wars movie is still better than 99% of other regular movies. Well, let me state (for calibration purposes) that I feel that Star Wars: ANH was the best movie of the series. Followed closely by ESB. ROTJ was kind of a let down, yet still a decent movie that brought the films to a proper finish. Yes, I felt let down by the Phantom Menace, but I grew to enjoy that movie for what it was. The setup man for a 6 part saga that has no equal in movie history. At 27 years of age, I feel sorry for the kids who did not get to see the original trilogy those many decades ago for the 1st time, on the big screen... they will never be caught up in the "Star Wars" excitment that existed in the 70's and early 80's. I can barely remember what my grandmothers voice sounded like, yet I can remember every detail of seeing Star Wars: A New Hope in a drive-in (!!!) when I was THREE years old... these movies own a special place in my heart, that a Spiderman, a Matrix, or a Titanic will never be able to invade.

Even with that aforementioned letdown of TPM, I found myself last night giddy as a child, clutching my 5 dollar medium mountain dew, waiting for those yellow letters to crawl into the screen and out of view. I must say that at the end of TPM, of course I wanted more Star Wars, but the wait of three years wouldn't (and didn't) seem unbearable. I cannot say the same after seeing Episode II. This movie, blasted by the critics (but then again, lets all go back in time, weren't they ALL?) was a fun movie. Yes, it didn't have a great "Han Solo" type character, but.. this movie put a lump in my throat, and goosebumps on my arms in various places. Yes, the dialogue was sappy in places, yes Jar Jar was there,.. but the magic of seeing WARNING, SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!! 1. a young Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, in an EXACT replica of their place in Episode IV, 2. the holograph of the as-yet-to-be-built Death Star, 3. Just HEARING the name "Boba Fett" uttered, and seeing 4. an army of lightsaber wielding Jedi leading hordes of "Stormtrooper"ish characters made me feel like I was a kid again.

Dare I say that I felt that this movie was better than "ROTJ"?

The magic of Star Wars is back... and it will NOT be as easy to wait for Episode III.

Thank you Mr. Lucas for making me feel like a kid again.
  21. darthsidious32 Jedi Master

star 4
    What the heck, I might as well post mine.

darthsidious32's Episode II Review:

I got to the theater at 10:30 PM, May 15, 2002 and the line had already stretched from the door to the corner of the theater building. Some people I knew were at the front of the line, but they weren't allowed to let us join them. So, me and my dad went to the end of the line. After that, the line kept building and building, eventually going around the building itself and to the back. We stood there, talking about Star Wars, watching dressed up Jedi wannabes approach, as well as people fighting with toy lightsabers. I was already having a great time. Then finally, the doors opened, and we were admitted into the theater. When I saw the Episode II title sign above the door leading into the first screening of Attack of the Clones, I knew this was for real.

As I sat there at 12:01 at my local AMC theater, I waited through 15 minutes of previews. They were good, but I was highly anticipating the movie. Then finally, the drum roll and the 20th Century Fox logo appeared on the screen. Cheers erupted from the crowd. Then, the words: "A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away..." Cheering erupted once more for that, and then was suddenly silenced. Finally, the John William's original Star Wars score blazed through the surround sound speakers, and the Star Wars logo flashed onto the screen and flew into the background filled with stars. The crowd roared. I was participating just like the rest. We all clapped. Then again, silence. We all sat there and read the opening crawl. This was so great.

Then all of a sudden, it was over! 2 1/2 hours went by and I had just seen one of the greatest Star Wars movies ever made. Only one word is needed to describe it: Awesome! It's filled with adventure, thrills, great acting (for Star Wars anyways), an engaging story, and loveable characters. This movie truly brought back the fun and adventure feel of A New Hope as well as the darkness of The Empire Strikes Back - the two great aspects of what makes Star Wars so good in the first place.

In detail, here's what I liked and didn't like:

1) The story. This was so cool. It has been ten years since the events in The Phantom Menace. It starts with a couple assassination attempts on Senator Amidala's life because she's against the creation of an army. Obi-Wan and Anakin are assigned to protect her after all these years of no contact with her. They also end up trying to hunt down the assassin. They find her, but she's killed by the person who hired her in the first place because she was about to reveal his identity. Obi-Wan goes off and investigates the origins of the dart that killed her, and Anakin is assigned to escort Padme back to her home planet of Naboo to protect her.

So far, so GREAT!

Obi-Wan finds out that the dart comes from the planet Kamino. However, it's not listed in the Jedi archives. So Obi-Wan goes to where the planet should be located in outer space, and it's there - right where it should be. He lands on the planet, and learns that a Clone army is being created from the DNA template of a bounty hunter named Jango Fett - Boba Fett's father. And Boba Fett is an unaltered clone of his father. This army is being created without the permission of the Jedi Council, and it has been in production for the past 10 years. Obi-Wan told that the army was ordered by a deceased Jedi called Sifo Dyas, but he died before the production of the Clones took place. So it had to be someone else (Darth Tyrannus).

Star Wars has taken a turn for the better!

Meanwhile, Anakin and Padme fall in love. This has to happen because Luke and Leia of Episodes IV, V, and VI have to come about somehow, and Anakin has to be the father. And the mother, well, has to be "beautiful." : ) But they realize that their love is forbidden. Anakin suggests keeping it a secret, but they decide that for the time being they should not pursue it.

Anakin has a nightmare that his mother whom he hasn't seen for 10 years is in danger. He's been having these nightma
  22. DarthGunray Jedi Master

star 3
    For the last week, I've been reading the negative press reviews of "Star Wars: Episode II-Attack of the Clones". Each critic cited all the same complaints about the film, making for reviews which seemed eerily similar. However, dispite what the critics had said, I went to see AOTC and I knew I would enjoy it.

I didn't know how much I would enjoy it though!

First off, let me begin by covering the love story. Many have called the love between Anakin and Padme contrived and rushed. Others have stated that Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman lack chemistry. The love story, in my opinion is one of the strongest parts of the film. The portrayal of Anakin Skywalker, longing for Padme is realistic, and it shows how lonesome Anakin has been since the Battle for Naboo ten years earlier. Padme is portrayed beautifully by Natalie Portman, giving the character a more human aura than what surrounded her in "The Phantom Menace". The love story is interwoven into the plot, and has its ups and downs. The best moments coming on the planet Geonosis. I won't say what happens, but what Padme says is very moving. All in all, the love story is everything I was hoping it would be and more.

The plot of AOTC is as follows: Senator Padme Amidala is traveling to Coruscant to join the senate in a vote which will determine whether an army will be created for the Republic or not. An attempt at her life by bounty hunter Zam Wessel, causes the Jedi Council to intervene, sending Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi(Ewan McGregor) and his Padawan, Anakin Skywalker to watch over the senator. As the investigation into who is trying to kill Padme continues, Obi-Wan travels to the far away planet Kamino to follow up on a lead he received from a friend. Meanwhile, Anakin and Padme go to Naboo, where sparks begin to fly. The movie climaxes on the planet Geonosis, where hundreds of Jedi enact in a fight to help save the Republic. This is probably the most I can go into the plot without spoiling the film for anyone.

Ewan McGregor is excellent as Obi-Wan Kenobi, even making you feel as if he is actually Sir Alec Guiness. As I said before, Hayden Christensen is superb in his tortured portrayal of Anakin Skywalker. His acting is very believable, especially so when he arrives on Tatooine.

The special effects of this film are the usual state of the art affair offered by ILM. From a completely digital Yoda, to a huge cloning facility on Kamino, ILM has outdone their best work with this film. The chase between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett is reminscent of the asteroid belt sequence in "The Empire Strikes Back". As for the CGI in general, it's strikingly realistic for the most part. I especially liked the freed up movement of the camera thanks to the special effects; the camera moves around in AOTC in ways you've never seen before in a Star Wars film.

The music is a superb effort by John Williams. Using tracks from Episode I, and the infamous "Imperial March" and unique music for AOTC, John Williams has crafted another gem.

The villains of AOTC are undeniably likeable, or at least Jango Fett(Temuera Morrison) is. Count Dooku(Christopher Lee), is a calm and collected Dark Lord who commands respect, and earns it through peaceful negotiations...until provoked. As for the heroes, the Jedi in general are seen in action, and make the final battle a spectacular spectacle which can't be missed by anyone. Mace Windu(Samuel L. Jackson) finally gets off his Jedi Council chair and gets into action. Yoda(Frank Oz) is the movie stealer. I won't reveal why, but once you've seen the movie, you'll know. Oh, I can't forget the loveable antics of R2-D2(Kenny Baker) and C-3PO(Anthony Daniels), these two begin to sprout their funny relationship later seen in the original "Star Wars". Jar Jar Binks(Ahmed Best) is in AOTC for about five or so minutes of total screen time. His character is involved in some major events in the movie however. An excellent array of colorful characters adorne the movie screen at all times.

AOTC is a darn good movie.
  23. Renderking Jedi Knight

star 3
    Introduction? We had the incredible fortune of not seeing ?Attack of the Clones? with out any critic?s from the New York Times or the Boston Globe, both news papers who gave this movie bad reviews. We did, how ever take the day off to see it in the middle of the afternoon this Friday, thinking that it would be quiet enough for the two of us to celebrate our third year anniversary. I was wrong! Thinking that in the middle of the afternoon we would have a quiet showing pretty much to ourselves was mere wishful thinking. Every seat in the theater was occupied, every theater in the multiplex was packed, and there was a line of people waiting for our seats when we finally left.

Attack of the Critics Those who poorly reviewed this movie revealed them selves as the over-educated nitwits I always assumed they were. Maybe they?ve seen too many art-house pictures, maybe they are simply not ?Star Wars? fans or fans of action movies. Regardless, I?m not sure what they saw when reviewing ?Episode II?, but I?m sure it isn?t the same movie we saw.

?No plot?? Who are these people who couldn?t find the in this movie? This is just more of the proof need to prove these people either don?t see the movies they review or pay attention. Long after the movie and over dinner, my wife and I counted at least three plots. There are also some very heavy handed and timely messages in this movie. In the guise of a Star Wars movie, very entertaining. In the guise of an ?out in the open? political message, very frightening.

Just like any other movie, there are causes and effects, actions and reactions, choices and decesions? all of which I think makes a plot and a story line. And for those of you who WEREN?T paying attention, Count Dooku and Master Kenobi give a refresher course in the second half of the movie.

Let me just hammer home again how insulting it is to read the reviews that said Attack of the Clones had no plot? Assassination attempt with in the first five minutes, Obsession/Love story, The student who feels he?s ready to leave his master, the student Jedi who worries about the fate of his mother, Palpatine manipulating the Jedi to do his bidding, in ways that remind me of ?Briar Rabbit and the Briar patch?.

The romance between the two ?Star Crossed? lovers (pardon the pun) feels as real as you?re going to get with in the Star Wars universe. Granted, there were moments when Anakin seems more like a stalker then heart-throb, but as the movie progressed I sensed there was genuine respect and love. As you can guess, he wins her heart over? either because of what they go through together or in spite of it. When Anakin suffers the greatest loss and as a result commits one of the most unspeakable acts, she?s there to console him. She doesn?t judge him but hears him out. Somehow, it?s her loss as well?

Time and time again you hear Padme` say they can?t fall in love, they can?t be lovers in fear that it would distroy them both. Then, she realizes they they are already lost, and she give in to her feelings for Anakin. In the speech Padme` gives to Anakin just before they think they are going to die is pure Hollywood and a real tear jerker, it?s more ?Titanic? than ?Titanic?. Maybe it?s Natalie Portman?s acting or perhaps an off screen romance with her co-star? but there?s true anguish and joy in her confession that she does indeed love Anakin. It?s an amazing transformation from a woman holding back to a woman giving in and relishing in her love. She?s liberated and it shows.

The Action: Those who know the Star Wars Saga knows that most of the handful of main characters live. You know the fate of most of the people and yet there is still suspense... The action and effects are indeed one of the highlights of the movie but they don?t detract from the plot and sub-plots. There is more sword play and laser fights in the last 45 minutes then in the other 4 movies combined. But still, it?s the plot we remembered most.

Episode II... compaired to the other movies? Right after seeing the movie? ?Epi
  24. TERUTERO Jedi Padawan

I Love Star Wars--not in a nerdy way but Star Wars and Indy have always been my favorite type movies. I'm 38--seen them when they first came out.

Verdict--Lucas forgot how to direct. He's letting the technology get in the way of what is really the heart of SW's and Indy. The movie's are fun.

ESB was called dark--but I laughed many times through the movie-- tragic as it was. Lucas makes excuses like the story has to be told and this and that--but both 1 and 11 are dry. Character interaction is so dry and pompus. Why is Anakin talking like he's is a 16th century play?
    He was a slave--he should rough and more of a H.Solo type character. They had 30 years to put together **complete movies that tell the story AND HAVE GOOD Fun character interaction--it aint there.

The beginning of the movie is good (except for the Anakin 16th century tone). The first meeting between Ani and Amadala sounds like they reading from cue cards. Instead of making Ani lovable they make him out as mentally disturbed from the start. Bad move--he should have been the Hero of the republic.

Obi finding the clone lab is bewildering and poorly executed with blury fake characters who dont belong in Star Wars--maybe in the movie "The Abyss"

Jango is cool--His son boba is laughing like an idiot though in the meteor field.

The love story seems like it was pasted together. It has no flow and is totally unbelievable. They should not have *Stopped the movie to make us sit through that cue card reading--and by the fireplace was horrible.

The death of Ani's Mom which should have the pivot of the movie was 2 seconds of absurdity. Especially because we have not seen hayden with her. He should have found her --been in danger with her --bonded with her again and then do what you will.

The confession to Padme was the best acting of the movie and only moving scene.

The preaching about democracy was unessesary.
    Mace was cool
    Yoda was better as a puppet
    I dont care what anyone says--digital characters are not convincing enough yet and they lack something.

The Count was great--now thats real acting. All the characters of the old SW's movies had this ability. Obi was natural too.

I tell you that seeing the Count on that Scooter was laughable though.

The battle looked awesome but you know what--think of the snow battle in ESB--no CG characters but some models--it was more raw and real--not at all like a cartoon.

Story was good--execution was hit and miss.
    Its never the story anyway--its the feeling the movie gives you through it acting. Both 1 and 11 are not worthy performances of what the Prequels had to tell.
    You can try and convince yourself differently but they are weak and should have been slamdunks with no critc able to rebuff them. However 2 stars is the consenses. Why? because Lucas can do better.

I feel that having every backround in CG puts the actors in a bad spot--and Lucas himself---instead on just making sure the actors have hit a homerun you have to worry about too many other things when the acting must come first.
    Lucas--hire a director to get the most out of your actors--there is nothing wrong with the dialog--it is the execution of it that lacks.

And about this better the second time---People--a movie should be good the first time

ps I love Star Wars and will but this DVD and watch it forever but it should have been much better.
  25. darth_pooh Jedi Master

star 4
    I say 5 stars.

I went to see it last night at Midnight. I was disappointed because I don't know what to make of this movie, and I love star wars! And, no, my problems are not because I?m not a 5 year old anymore! It's because Lucas has indeed forgotten how to edit and shape a movie - when ideed that was his first job in the business.

AOTC has a more modern, slick feel than the OT, and it definitely fits the genre of TPM's Universe of special effects. And the Plot has finally lifted off the ground and I'm glad to say that it's moving at about 80-89%! I still have my reservations about the film and I'll tell you why:

This seemed like a movie that was trying ?to do? or ?to prove? too much! I wonder if Lucas had worked out the "pacing" of the plot for the new trilogy in advance because I felt the movie was really rushed. It has so many "sub-plots." And we have to absorb these sub-plots so quickly and there are so many quick instances that it's almost overwhelming.

The 8 or so major subplots run together so quickly that it's maddening. Here are just a few of them. Once you read them, put them together in your head just to see how ridiculous it is:

Subplots 1(A-C): The outcome of Anakin's training over the last ten years, his relationship to Obi-Wan, and his slow turn to the dark side:

1(A.) We have to grasp the result of Anakin's ten-year "training" in the force but the movie forces us to do it really quickly. And all we get to help us are these blips - a lot of information here and there to be picked up from his voice and face and actions - AND IT'S SO FAST! HE shouldn't use the force to entertain. He shouldn't disobey, etc...but I don't get a sense of him as a real jedi. He has the force, sure, but he didn't come accross as a complex result of his training. Even the TPM 'Annie' was a complex character, but after 10 years in training, I wanted more to show through Anakin than just a semi-trained Jedi brat. I don't think it's Hayden's fault. I think it's because Lucas can't write.
    I will say that Hayden does a
    FANTASTIC JOB and no one can
    complain about his acting - he's
    better than Natalie in some
    instances! If he falls flat
    ever, it has more to do with the
    'filmmaker' and his lines.
    His expressions are
    rich with meaning - all sorts of
    meaning. He's a bundle of emotions.
    Tusken scene was great.
    The love lines they gave him
    to say are awful! He gets a lot of
    emotion through - but its sooo
    fast.

(B.) And then there is the "sub-plot" of Anakin's relationship to Obi-Wan. Which is yet another really complex relationship being told merely through their bickering or agreement. (We get droppings of Yoda like wisdom from Obi to Anakin - like in ESB - and we see the results - but there is sooo much information! They seem to have a long past of advice/agreement/ recalcitrance/disagreement) This 'sub-plot' is also really interstitial and fast. You have to pay extreme attention!

(c.) "Anakin's Slow Fall" as another subplot: Anakin's fall has a lot to do with his relation to Obi and the Jedi. Once again, tons of visual information and half-spoken bits of dialogue that are KEY!!! Any actors who can conjure up this much emotion in front of a blue screen and tell it this quickly are marathon actors!!! This ?subplot? is even more complicated because it involves Anakin's relationship to his Mother from TPM. You get so little between Anakin and his mother in this film, that one should rewatch the scenes of loss and separation when he leaves her in TPM all over again - rent it before you see this! Why? Because the strength of their relationship isn't explored at all here.

You have to feel the strength of their relationship before you go see this movie because it is going to be really fast in this one. AND YET THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS ONE OF THE CENTERPIECES OF WHY ANAKIN IS DARK! To have it go by so quickly is ridiculous.

f*. Mini-mini-rapid subplot: the introduction of Uncle Owen and Beru - so fast, you're almost getting a teaser taste that they exist! Bad editing. BTW, why doesn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.