CONTEST: Post your SW2 Review here!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Joshua Griffin, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Mighty_Chewbacca Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I came into Attack of the Clones expecting no more than the dry and fizzled Episode I. Even with the all the spoilers and fantastic trailers I was not convinced otherwise. Yet, I walked out of the theater bursting with glee. George Lucas has put the magic of the originals into Attack of the Clones. The movie succeeded beyond anything I had ever hoped for, Star Wars is back, and grander than ever.

As soon as the camera panned up, instead of the traditional down, I knew something had to be different. 'Clones' starts off with a bang, literaly, capturing the viewers attention and setting them up for a magical, twisting and turning, delightful journey through that galaxy far far away.

The acting in general was polished, and much more emotional than the flat and dull TPM. As a whole, it was excellant and emotional, capturing the characters perfectly.

Ewan McGregor sizzles on screen, from his daring confidence, strict tutelage of his young apprentice, and subtle wit. Obi-Wan Kenobi comes alive on screen, drawing hoots of laughter, gasps and knowing crackles with the most memorable line of the movie, "Why do I get the feeling your going to be the death of me?". His character interacts fluidly with his apprentice, Anakin Skywalker.

Hayden Christensian is a decidly mixed bag. His character is well developed, coming across as the rash and arrogant padawan and at the same time the soft and sensentive boy, full of passion. The problem arises in the love interactions with Natalie Portamn's Senator Amidala. Poorly written dialogue just makes the love scenes fall flat. While the acting is actually pretty good, the weak script, and fast pacing of the scenes just barly brushes the tip of the love. Every love scene of Naboo is horribly breif, cutting back into Obi-Wan's adventure, creating a great distraction. The scenes needed to be prolonged before cutting back and forth so suddenly. But what Hayden does very well overshadows any weakness of the love scenes. The tradgedy of his mother is handled perfectly, Hayden's perforamce sent chills up my spine. Echos of Darth Vader were just screaming out of the scenes. I could almost hear the breathing, and yet, at the same time, genuinly care for this heart broken boy. His haunting and powerful performance overshadows any weaknesses.

Natalie Portman suffers from the same flaws that Hayden did. The love scnenes were just too fast and devoid of good dialogue to give them substance. Her performance through-out the rest though was very well executed, but is just wasn't a stand-out role.

The villians of this movie were fantastic. All of them. Christopher Lee was erie and haunting as Count Dooku. Tomae Morrision (sp) created very simply, stylish and ultra cool bounty hunter that electrified the screen.

The story for 'Clones' was the most complex and engaging yet. It took the viewer for one very mystical, energetic, and dramatic ride. Only one flaw came up in it though, the numourus sub-plots and the cutting between them. George Lucas is very good at parrallel editing but the cuts between Anakin/Padme and Obi-Wan/Clones seemed so far out of place. One scene was either far to long or far to short. They never seemed to flow for me. But that's just one minor gripe about this fantasticly executed movie.

The effects are simply put: DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL! Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from Lucas and ILM. They supplemeted the charcaters and stroy perfectly. Mixed with a truly outstanding score from John Williams, all the scenes came across with outstadning splendor.

George Lucas has rediscoverd Star Wars, lifting it out of the rut that was TPM, and creating a visualy dynamic and emotional film that will someday be regarded as a "classic". Everything comes together so well in 'Clones', even the flaws can't detract from Lucas's grand vision. It is going to be a long, long, wait until 2005, the year of the last Star Wars movie...

Attack of the Clones gets an A- from me.

2. Wyrdsmyth Jedi Padawan

<SPOILER: DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN THIS FILM! I'M HOLDING NOTHING BACK!>

I just saw "Attack of the Clones," and I thought I'd post a review here. Be forewarned of the spoilers. Also, before I actually give my review, I just want to comment on the quasi-religious awe that many people seem to have for Star Wars. That's something I've never understood. Sometimes, I get the feeling there are Star Wars "apologists" out there, who just want to defend the movies from any and all criticism, and that they want to put the movies on an inviolate pedestal. In my opinion all movies ought to be held to the same standard, and to be criticized on all fronts: acting, plotting, dialogue, cinematography, special effects, etc.

"Attack of the Clones" is first rate when it comes to special effects, so let's get that out of the way right now. Lucasfilm has managed to stay at the cutting edge when it comes of CGI and visually awesome scenery. And George Lucas' imagination doesn't seem to have been diminished, either, when it comes to cooking up new life forms and monsters. But, as has been pointed out before, special effects are no longer as potent as they were in 1977, or even the early 80's. We now live in a culture drenched with CGI, video games and astonishing special effects. So, although we may still appreciate technical wizardry, it no longer is truly astonishing. The special effects, essentially, are just a lot of pretty colors and scenery -- they aren't the stars of the show, and shouldn't be. When it's all said and done, they are the props.

Where does that leave us? It leaves us looking at the story and the acting. Is it any good? Natalie Portman, Ewan MacGregor and Samuel L. Jackson are all excellent actors -- they've proven that before, in other films. Sadly, the dialogue that Lucas has stuffed in their mouths is beyond terrible. The romance between Anakin and Amidala is one long, boring cliche, and it's almost painful to watch. I have nothing against a "Dawson's Creek" style romance -- I knew it had to come -- but "Dawson's Creek" is probably better. Anakin and Amidala seem like two wooden dolls, which director Lucas is holding up and moving around, making them say things like "I'm dying inside" and "you're not like sand, you're smooth." It's not much better for the others. When Mace Windu makes dramatic entrance later on, he says "This party's over." I thought, Look, it's Shaft, with a purple lightsaber. Towards the end, Yoda says, "Begun, this Clone War has." Yoda's bad grammar is sounding less like that of a wise mystic who just happens to have a poor grasp of English, and more like a learning disability. When we were introduced to him, as this hermetic Zen-like master of the Force, living by himself on a swamp planet, it made sense that he had bad syntax. But now that we see him living in a world-city that is the capital of the Galactic Republic, rubbing shoulders with the political elite on a daily basis, it no longer makes any sense. Is Yoda scrambling his words on purpose?

There is a scene in which Anakin and Amidala are on a conveyor belt inside this huge droid-making factory, in which I felt as if I were watching a video game. Do the movies inspire the video games, or do the video games now inspire the movies? Both, I suppose. But this sequence especially looked tailor made for a video game release. When Amidala was trying to run beneath a few stamping presses and not get squashed, I felt as if I ought to be holding a joystick or a mouse.

The humor, such that it is, is C-3PO and R2-D2. Together again, like a mechanical Laurel and Hardy, they stumble around in a slapstick tradition. I found these sequences vaguely distracting and insignificant. When C-3PO gets his head placed on a battle droid, and the battle-droid's head is put on his body, I know we were supposed to find that amusing. But... it just seemed like too conscious an effort, as if Lucas were saying to us, "Look! It's the antics of your two favorite droids again! Aren't they hilarious?" No, no
  3. TheEclectic Jedi Padawan

Lucas put the "Wars" back in "Star" Lucas has once again left our watering for more, with the best end battle of all time. This movie was EXCITING from the moment the last period in "..." rolled off the screen. Lucas must be able to see the future of movies, because this movie looks FANTASTIC. But let's put aside the gush of REALISM and get on the playing field with the critics. The dialogue ROCKED! What the hell are those critics talking about? They are nothing more than a wasteland of trash. I finally got to see what PADME'S BOD looked like and boy that is a GREAT reason to go see AOTC. Hayden really surprised me, he really made me feel for him. This movie has every QUALITY of an "A" MOVIE, that's right an "A" movie, not a "b" movie! It fulfilled my every wish for a Star Wars flick and then some. There were CLASSIC moments that will be taken from this movie just like they were taken from ESB.
    Now for all the fans out there: I don't have to tell you to GO SEE IT again! and for everyone else: Don't hate, congratulate! and for the critics: You know where you can go and what you can do!
    Peace.
    PS: For a recap of this just read the words that are all caps :)
  4. spk2913 Jedi Padawan

Star Wars Episode II- MAJOR SPOILERS. This movie is a mess. First of all, I love Star Wars and that's why I'm so passionate about my contempt for this movie. There's so much wasted potential here because Lucas chooses to surround himself with "yes-men" rather than constructive critics. If I've seen one Behind The Music I've seen them all; conflict creates great art. So, having freed himself of conflict Lucas goes out and creates crap. The biggest detriment to this film as with Ep. 1 is it's reluctance to maintain continuity. Why doesn't anyone remember these droids? They're in every movie. For example, Uncle Owen works with C3PO on the farm only to buy him back in Ep. 4 without little remembrance of him. Obi-Wan also forgets them in Ep. 4 as well. Also, speaking of 3PO, Anakin drops off his dead mother and takes his droid with him? I'd be pissed if I were Uncle Owen, that's a droid I'm going to have to go buy now. And why were R2 and 3PO in the final battle anyway?

The movie tells too much and does too little. Rather than show how angry Anakin, he says it. Rather than show his rage after seeing his mother die, he tells Padme. Rather than show Anakin's love for Padme, he tells her with the worst dialogue ever written. The writing is so bad it drew laughter at it's most earnest moments. For example, Anakin professing his love says, "I can't breathe," the audience erupts in laughter at the idea of Vader choking people later in the series. Now, I know the prequels are trying to lighten things up but there's a time and place George, don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Was that not the worst death scene ever? Anakin's mother had all the stereotypical qualities of a death scene. Choking on her last words, barely enough breath to profess her love to her son, the last gurgle of life. Then her neck falls back in a comic like fashion. The audience could be heard biting their lips to prevent laughter. And then we don't even get to see him exact his revenge, we have to hear about it later (another example of telling not showing).

Yoda was great, Mace was wooden, Hayden was good but given poor dialogue to work with, Obi-Wan was eerily similiar to Sir Alec Guiness, but if he referred to Anakin as "my young apprentice" or "my young padawan learner" one more time I'd swear it was his pet name for him. The editing was horrendous. It's obvious there are numerous deleted scenes cut out and there abscense leave gaping holes.

I will watch the movie again because I love Star Wars but, again, it's that very reason that I'm so disappointed with this movie. I give it a 4 out of 10.
  5. YodaSupreme Jedi Youngling

The first thing that people must know when going into a Star Wars film is that what they are about to watch is not a movie. It is a story, an experience that should be cherished and remembered for its artistry and its elegance. In the past critics have blasted the Star Wars films for their lack of witty dialogue and character development but their opinion is shrouded in the fact they are MOVIE critics. And Star Wars is most definitely more than a mere, everyday run of the mill movie.

Attack of the Clones begins with the standard crawl of words introducing the story and the goings on of the galaxy as we resume our journey with our troubled heroes. The story is centered around Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen), and Senator Padme Amidala (Natalie Portma). Under the tutelage of Obi-Wan the young Anakin Skywalker has developed into a powerful Jedi. The only thing exceeding his skill with the force are his arrogant feelings and cocky demeanor. Obi-Wan is currently struggling to find his way as a Jedi Knight and attempting to keep his promise to his former master by training the troubled 20 year old. Padme has just been given the responsibility of being the Senator of Naboo to the Republic.

Now that we?ve been caught up through the ten years since the last film it?s time to critique the acting. First allow me to say that no one on this earth should be going to Star Wars to see an Academy Award winning performance. The acting in Attack of the Clones is what you?d expect. Lackluster. The worst of the three main characters is Amidala. Portman manages to play the role just as stiff as she did in the last movie while still grasping at the thought of love between her and Anakin. She seems uncomfortable in the love scenes and out of place in the action sequences. While her performance is much improved from the last film it remains clear that she most definitely does not belong in a Star Wars film. Then we have Hayden Christensen an actor that no one has heard and everyone will remember. He brings the essence of evil to the movie and casts some of the scariest looks this side of a Friday the 13th flick. George Lucas did an excellent job showing his dissension into evil and in some moments you can almost picture the black metallic suit already forming over his body as he walks, especially while on Tatooine as Anakin tries to cope with the loss of his beloved mother. While Christensen?s performance in the majority of the love scenes is a bit cheesy and out of place he still makes a valiant effort and definitely shines when he shows signs of things to come for his character. And last but not least we have Obi-Wan plays by Ewan McGregor. In The Phantom Menace he looked out of place and a bit lost while touting his light saber around the screen. These blemishes have obviously been erased with some serious off season training as Ewan steals the show with an outstanding performance.

Now that I?ve dispersed with the standard overview of characters and plot lines I?ll delve into what everyone really wants to know about. How does this movie compare with the originals? Well, that?s a tough question to answer. The original films were made over 20 years ago, things have changed in the real world, technology has obviously advanced and audience?s tastes have changed. But AOTC succeeds in bringing us back to the feeling that we all had when we first sat down to watch the original Star Wars trilogy. The saber duel is methodical just as we all remember and Lucas seems more focused in his directing in this film rather than the scattered feeling of the last movie. We get a chance to see the creation of the Stormtroopers as well as the first Star Destroyers. We even get a look at the up and coming Death Star which of course makes an appearance in A New Hope. The first hour of the movie is spent building up events that will either be resolved in AOTC or will make an appearance in the next film. Sadly a lot of this is talking and diplomatic discussions which is too bad because som
  6. victorydisease Jedi Padawan

This is not just an EPISODE 2 review but a review of the whole prequel trilogy so far. I am posting this because I really feel I need to get this off my chest and this seems like the best place to do so. I am speaking as a star wars geek not as a cranky movie critic who nitpicks at every mundane detail. Please bear with me as I have a few things to say in defense of the prequels before I get to episode 2.
    I have seen a lot of angry reviews about star wars and while I don't usually pay attention to reviews for movies of this magnitude this really bothered me. Suddenly it is cool to dump on star wars. why? Because it "doesn't live up to the original trilogy". People find things to bitch about (i.e. bad acting, bad story, JAR-JAR) and cant just suspend disbelief and have fun with it. See most of us grew up with the original trilogy. I first saw it when I was just a wee lad (im 20 now in case u care) and I didn't give a rat?s ass about acting, bad special FX, or anything like that. I loved it because it was a captivating story with great characters and a certain charm that other movies could only dream about. I don't think that anybody could appreciate these movies more than those who first saw it as a child could could. When I hear the voice of yoda or chewie or even the beeps and blips from R2-D2 it triggers something in me that I can only describe as something that makes me feel like a kid again. My point is that the prequel trilogy will never be accepted as it should be by anyone except those of us who have a place in our hearts for star wars and can view it as a part of a story we have had with us for as long as we can remember.
    Now that I got that out the way. Let me start by saying that I didn't think The Phantom Menace was anywhere near as bad as everyone says it was. The biggest reason for hating it of course, is JAR-JAR. The only thing that was wrong with him is his voice. If he were given a voice that didn't sound like fingernails on a chalkboard he would have been a somewhat likeable character. What makes TPM not as likeable as the others is the lack of things familiar to star wars. It was hard to relate to because it was all new. Except for R2-D2 and palpatine any character from the original trilogy appeared very briefly and that was only yoda, C-3P0, and jabba. So TPM seems very detached from the saga because of the gap between ep.1 and ep.4 where the characters we all know and love get introduced.
    Ok. Thanx for bearing with me. Here we go- Star Wars Episode II-Attack of the Clones. SICK. I have a lot of positive stuff to say about this movie so im gonna get the few negatives out of the way. The love story, while essential to the plot, doesn't sit well with me. It?s hard to imagine that the future darth Vader would say such poetic nonsense while trying to get some pussy. I imagined him reciting those cheesy Shakespearian love sonnets in darth vaders voice and it brought a smile to my face. The acting was a bit weak at points but that is just as much a part of star wars as lightsabers. If star wars was trying to win Oscars for acting George Lucas would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. Other than that, it was incredible. It had the heart and soul of star wars. Everything that made star wars great is back. The special FX are amazing and the battle scenes are absolutely brilliant. The movie starts off with a great chase through coruscant after a bounty hunter. As soon as this scene kicked in I knew that I was back in that place I had discovered as a kid. I loved the chemistry between anakin and obi-wan. The way they argued and interacted with each other was very similar to that of Han solo and chewbacca. Little things like that are what made all those characters so interesting to watch. The movie slows down considerably after that and the love story kicks in between anakin and padme while obi-wan goes to investigate the bounty hunter they were chasing. This splitting up of the characters is similar to Empire Strikes Back. We follow two separate adventures. This works very well beca
  7. Darth_Max Jedi Padawan

I just came back from my fourth viewing of AOTC, and I finally feel ready to share some of my thoughts with you all. From the moment Amidala?s starship came sweeping through the clouds I knew this film was a totally different beast from TPM. Like ANH, that film felt deceptivly simple, like a one-sided partisan view of an extremely complicated issue. What I always admired about Star Wars was its very complex and intelligent view of ?evil?. ANH was of course dead simple, but ESB and in particular ROTJ were ambivalent in a way that?s almost totally absent from contemporary storytelling. Anyone who has listened to George W Bush?s infantile tirades about ?incredibly evil evil-doers? since 9-11 know what the current view of evil is ? an unexplained (and should remain so) quality with some people that will disappear with the distruction of said people. It?s much to the credit of George Lucas that he has the nerve and courage to tackle this disturbing issue in such an unflinching way ? it?s amazing that he?s not gotten more recognition for this. Gita Sereny?s obsessive analysis of Hitler?s architect Albert Speer comes to mind (and is highly recommended reading to any fan of Darth Vader ? the parallels are uncanny), and there is much to learn in the way AOTC and even TPM unfolds. The basic point is that ?evil? is something that?s latent inside all of us - the only difference between good and evil people is the way life treats them and at what time certain choices are imposed on them. So, the hard part is not to kill Darth Vader ? the difficulty is not to BECOME Darth Vader.

This provocative assault on conventional moral is what made the throne room sequences of ROTJ my favorite part of the original trilogy, and it?s what ultimately makes AOTC my current favorite in the whole series ? although I suspect Lucas and Christensen will change my mind about that come 2005.

THE SCRIPT/STORYLINE/DIRECTION

There is of course the basic problem that we all know what?s gonna happen. But in contrast to TPM we?re now given vital information about the OT. I had no particular desire to revisit the previous films after TPM, but I sure do now. A lot of things suddenly make a lot more sense, and I do appreciate TPM more, even if it doesn?t make it a better movie as some have suggested. But I?ve already touched on the basic issue ? even more so than ESB this is a film for the fans. No more, no less. Another chapter in a saga 28 years in the making. If you don?t care much for Star Wars you?re gonna hate it. If you?re a fan you?re gonna love it. And this is exactly what?s happening.

The Sandpeople/Shmi/Anakin idea is the strongest and bravest in the movie, and since this aspect is the most important one for the subsequent proceedings it has to carry the film. And it does so in a big way. Lucas? courage and lack of sentimentality does surprise me, and Christensen?s blistering performance in these sequences make the storyline the center of the current 5 films, and I very much suspect that it will remain there even after EpIII.

The Kamino sequences work for me, there is a clear sense of menace in the matter-of-fact way the aliens explain that they?ve created a ?grand army of the republic?. I also love Jango and Boba Fett, which I didn?t think I would ? I used to think that Boba?s inclusion in the OT SE was rather silly ? not so anymore. And is it just me, or do the Prime Minister environments look just like Apple?s G4/Imac/OSX designs? Not that I mind? it?s a great look.

I do like Genosis, no matter how derivative it is ? Star Wars has always been about re-combining cultural garbage. Imagine Christopher ?Dracula? Lee in a quasi-gothic castle filled with VAMPIRE bats ? in a Star Wars movie! As well as giant crabs that could have been picked from a Harryhausen movie. Thank god I didn?t know about it? but when I saw it it seemed to fit right in. Like all the other cultural references. If in about 50 years I hear about someone trying to catalogue the 20th century popular culture, I?ll just give her microchips of the 6 Star Wars m
  8. pennywise Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh yeah baby!!! Waiting for this movie felt like an eternity and now that its here, I?m so glad to say that the Force is strong with this one. While the plot of The Phantom Menace resembles a flat political expedition rather than a grand space adventure, Attack of the Clones has proved itself to be the most enjoyable Star Wars movie yet, and gives us what 1999 should have delivered in the first place. This movie is not just an improvement; it introduces us to a much darker chapter of the saga. To put it mildly, it left me breathless.

Episode II is an atmospheric movie filled with even more wondrous environments. Almost everything is being done in CGI, right down to the clone army. Even Yoda is no longer a Muppet, which enables the diminutive Jedi master to show how powerful he really is. After seeing the master in action (We?re not worthy!) I had to push my jaw up again from shock, and finally understood why nobody in the galaxy dared to mess with him in the first place.

But while the movie is an accomplished feat of CGI wizardry, the story is even better ? that?s right! The movie has a lot of heart and takes us further into the realm of the original trilogy. Contrary to the common perception of clunky and lovey-dovey dialogues, the love story works very well. Hayden Christensen plays Anakin with burning intensity, and provides many of the movie?s best highlights. Little Annie has now grown up into an impulsive, confused, vulnerable, cocky Jedi apprentice who is full of dark emotions. Natalie Portman gives a better performance this time, and I?m not talking about her showing more abs worthy of a fitness product infomercial. She is more radiant than ever and easily balances this with her restrained, royal-like steadiness. Ewan McGregor has pushed his role of Obi-Wan Kenobi further with frightening precision, evolving more and more into a bearded and cynical Jedi Master that Alec Guinness once portrayed. As a big fan of Christopher Lee, I have to say that he was awesome in Lord of the Rings, and he is just as awesome here as Count Dooku, whose deep voice and charismatic persona creates a villain reminiscent of Darth Vader in the original trilogy. However, one of the biggest pleasures I get from this movie is the haunting Anakin/Padme theme that constantly accompany the story, in tradition of the sweeping love theme from The Empire Strikes Back. It is a memorable score with a hint of the future tragedy to come, which is one of the reasons why the movie stayed with me long after seeing it.

Attack of the Clones has brought the magic back into the saga. Once again I was being swept in abandonment of my childhood memories. But let me say that from the point of view of a fanboy, Star Wars is a movie that can be hard to view objectively and thus, needs repeated viewing to clear any quick assumptions. Nevertheless, I walked out of the premiere screening still buzzing with excitement, and I was pumped with so much energy and adrenaline enough to make any Olympian sportsmen envious ... and this tremendously joyous feeling is what really counts! What?s more, I felt that Episode II has made Episode I into a much better movie. I can?t wait to see how the last chapter of the saga will be unfolded and turn me into a child all over again :)
  9. Luckyto Jedi Youngling

After only 3 viewings now... I'm putting EP2 AOTC at least 2nd if not even topping the heralded ESB.

Story point of view - and MYTHIC tone - which critics are professing that it lacks. It is there and done so masterfully you hardly notice it. The THEME for this movie is the dark side of the Force - the MYSTERY - the cloudiness - the intrigue. The transition of power as you are slowly sucked into evils spell. The rest have all focused on the relearning the good side of the Force - this is on evil - and that's why foks are left guessing at the curve ball - but you are supposed to.

The cinemetography and scenery echo of classic Hitchcock, 40's thrillers, detective stories, horror flicks (Dracula), and an overall sense that something is terribly wrong - but you just can't put your fingers on it. Many many shots of ships passing from one place to another reinforce visually that the Universe is moving from one point in history to another.

The soundtrack again reverberates this theme of transition, mystery and underlying darkness. It tied themes from EP IV, V, VI, and I and then threw in some original scores and transitioned from one to the next effortlessly. Perfect for what was called for - but probably not enough new stuff to grab an oscar.

Sound effects crew topped the top of the charts. The Lucas soundcrew tweaked and mastered every sound they were good at - and came up with some more. The Sonic Boom device was very impressive. The sound of some of the ships - wholly unique. Definitely deserve a nomination.

Acting - Ewan MacGregor barely earns himself the title of Obi-Wan. But he does - and that's all that matters. Alec Guinness is hard shoes to fill. Thank god for him too - he's the only Harrison Ford of the movie.

Hayden Christiansen pulls off the impossible. Darth Vader. You may not like him, you may not like his character - he's whiny, arrogant, proud, tempermental, and wears his emotions on his sleeve. HE'S PERFECT. Let's face it, the original Vader just had to stand there, wave his arm, and look cool. Hayden displays a range of emotions and complexity in a role almost noone can live up to. Hayden puts a face with the name - finally. He is the perfect teenage Anakin. He lacks focus, he's stubborn and irrational. And man - when he loses it - in that fit on Tatooine - it was perhaps the most powerful scene in Star Wars history next to Han being frozen in Carbonite. I heard one woman gasp, and some kids next to me just dropped their jaws.

Natalie Portman - hot. Does a fair enough job. Not as wooden as critics will say - but not oscar acting either.

Ian Mcdiarmind puts in a good show as Palpatine, Smits with his few lines made an excellent Bail Organa, Christopher Lee does great villains, young Boba was believable, but almost everyone elses' showing was mediocre. Worst performance going to the Lars family. I was not satisfied there at all.

Few few few moments did the dailogue really stink - one was the fireplace, Palpatine's acceptance speech - no doubt. But in comparison with some of the bad dialogue in all movies. No problem.

Visually, Lucas pushes the envelope of all we've ever seen. It is extraordinarily impressive. The action - though paced out at length with dialogue - is undeniably fun.

I hated EpI when I walked out of the theatre.

I almost cried with joy walking out of this one. Look forward to viewing 4-
  10. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't really have an absolute FAVORITE Star Wars movie, just favorite moments and things from all of them. But I have to tell you that AOTC has the most moments that I love from any of the movies so far! All the action scenes are fantastic:The nighttime speeder chase through Coruscant, the fight between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett on Kamino, the Asteroid Chase(the seismic charges are awesome!), the entire Droid Factory sequence, the 3-way arena fight with the Nexu, the Acklay, and the Reek, THE JEDI!!!, the Battle of Geonosis and the clones, Obi-Wan and Anakin's lightsaber duels against Count Dooku and of course, YODA!!! The acting was good. Obi-Wan was great through his storyline. I loved when he was captured how he told Dooku:"Qui-Gon Jinn would never join you!" Hayden was incredible in the scene where Anakin's mother dies and his wrath against the Tuskens and also in his confession to Padme. I actually thought that Natalie was best during the action sequences. The whole conveyor belt thing, how regal she stood when she and Anakin were being carted out into the arena, fighting off the Nexu, jumping onto the Reek behind Anakin and giving a kiss on the cheek were all bits I loved. The more I watch the movie, the more the romance works for me. Yeah, it's cliched and quick and the dialogue is corny, but I truly believed what Hayden was saying to Natalie by the fireplace. I believed that Padme had fallen completely for Anakin just before he went out on the speeder bike to find his mother. I think the sparks were really there when they were arguing about politics at the picnic. Let's face it, couples are more fun to watch when they're fighting then when they're making eyes at each other(i.e. Han and Leia). This Star Wars was the most fun movie I've ever seen.
  11. Joshua Griffin TheForce.Net co-owner

VIP
    star 4
    Picking two more winners now! One more Monday as well! Amazing reviews, gang ...

Josh
  12. squishylaqueef Jedi Padawan

This is a long and nitpicky review. You have been warned!

First my history on episode I: I went into that movie reminding myself that the Flannelled one had emphasized that he was making a movie for 11 year old kids. Thus, I was able to check my expectations and, even though I had read a good deal of spoilers, I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I got the DVD and watched it many times and although I don?t like the ?yippee? stuff and the Jar-Jar comedy (especially in the battle scene!), it seems OK to me because, hey, it?s a kid?s movie.

Now for AOTC, I go in with my head filled with reassurances that ?This one?s more like Empire?, and ?the plot is really complicated? so I assumed that meant it wasn?t as much for kids. I think this is what probably elevated my expectations, and let?s face it, it?s hard to meet high expectations for anything. I?m not disappointed, but since the movie does have weaknesses I?m somewhere in the middle. Of course, what REALLY matters is how the story works over all 6 episodes, so it?s really hard for me to say where this ranks right now in relation to the other movies? But I?d say that when I walked out of the theater, I just had this feeling like Clones was missing one or two things that would have really made it a much better story. I loved the way the story developed and there were so many great things about the film, but for some reason it didn?t quite feel right?

Anyway, here?s my breakdown in detail:

This IS a Star Wars film, and in Star Wars movies you expect cool creatures, great special effects, compelling characters, awesome battles, and lightsabers. All of these are delivered in a manner as good as or better than in all the previous episodes. I mean what beats a full-on battle with 200,000 clonetropers? Lucas has not just raised the bar; he has sent the bar into friggin? orbit. I mean just compare the effects in the next movie you go to, this film makes the Mummy series look like claymation. The storyline is pretty murky in the beginning, which is OK since a good deal of the film is solving a mystery. But the script needed a few more revisions to flow better (esp. with respect to the romance, see below). One thing that all the classic films had was cool, quirky lines that all of you quote with your friends. I know I?ve only seen clones once, but I can?t really remember too many lines that college kids will be quoting to each other ten years from now. Maybe "Why do I get the feeling you'll be the death of me?" or "This party's over"... At least on the first viewing, there wasn't anything as good as ?I find your lack of faith disturbing? or ?You Rebel Scum!? (although it was cool to hear Anakin say ?I have a bad feeling about this?.)

I had read some spoilers, and some of the developments weren?t THAT suprising, but still there were a few really good doozies for me, number one being the decapitation of Jango Fett. Seeing the new creatures and vehicles was cool as I had not read too much about these. Also upon checking the scenes that were cut out, I have to think the complete DVD will probably be a better film than the theater version.

I noticed that as in TPM, the casting for Anakin?s role seemed to be based on how the actors read a few crucial scenes. I though that Jake Lloyd did a really good job for the important scenes with his mother and the Council, but the rest was a miss. Similarly, Hayden Christiansen really nails the scenes where we see a little of the Dark Side, number one being when he?s describing what he did to the Tusken Raiders. He played it brilliantly, and will continue to do so in Ep. III. The rest of his performance was pretty good if not as on-target. Natalie Portman was much improved from episode I, mainly because she becomes more of a person. Ewan McGregor gave a very steady character who definitely seemed older and wiser than the padawan version of Obi-wan. Sam Jackson is an awesome actor, I just wish he could have been a little more badass. Maybe if he faces Dooku or Sidious in Ep. III we?ll get some classic lines. Chris Lee and Ian McDi
  13. Pint0_Xtreme Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok, time for my review:

When I went into AOTC, I really didn't know what to expect. Episode I, alike most people, was a disappointment for me. I found TPM fun in numerous places such as the Podraces and the last bit of the movie (Darth Maul saber duel). I think the thing I wanted most was not to be disappointed. And after leaving the theatre, I became afraid because I felt mixed feelings about the movie, just as I did when I finished seeing TPM. But after the movie(AOTC), I couldn't really stop thinking about it. Of course, this is usual of me. It takes me awhile to stand back, take a deep breath, and look at the movie as a whole to really give a good gauge. As I thought about the movie, I had run through the different aspects of the movie that I valued most.

Movie style, story and Originality:

The one thing that I had now realized far more than I had ever did was that Star Wars is NOT a two-hour movie. It is, in fact, a 12-14 hour movie! Because this was the way George Lucas originally intended it. And for that matter, TPM was suddenly understood as a better film. TPM was an introduction. It was a beginning. How can you fault a story for the pace of its beginning??? Star Wars is, in a sense, a very long story told through six episodes of movies. And to judge each episode solely on its own is really a fatal mistake. Numerous critics that have complained about the lack of originality in Star Wars: AOTC really have downplayed it because they failed to see a larger picture. If you see ANY opera or play, would you not think it strange to judge Act 1 merely on its own? Of course not! You have to see Star Wars as a whole saga. A whole story. And TPM and AOTC is just Act 1 and Act 2 of it. And you have to judge AOTC as a part of the whole series.

Given that, originality in Star Wars is something that encompasses anything I have ever seen. Not only have it engulfed myself and tens of generations, but it has also engulfed the communities and industries of America (Games, toys, books). Such is why Star Wars fanatics share a common bond between each other. As for AOTC, I felt that it had a very good story. Star Wars, essentially, is a classic story about obsession, love, revenge and complexities in life set in a fantasy/sci-fi world. There are so many characters in Star Wars. The story in AOTC was very well told. I am not dissatisfied at all as the story line. It was great and George Lucas' vision is what really gets me. The Death Star really surprised me. I had never expected it.

Character and Acting:

Acting to AOTC was, in my opinion, decent. Samuel L. Jackson played very well as Mace Windu. Of course, Christopher Lee made the 'Darth Vader' of AOTC with this talented commanding voice. What a difference from his other movies! Ian McDiarmid makes me smile everytime he's saying something because we all know what he's up to. The only actor whom I really wished put more effort was Natalie Portman. Yes, she was stunningly beautiful. Her looks helps me understand what Anakin feels ;) . However, if there was anyone wooden, I would have to say her. She was far too passive to be believable.
    When Anakin was confessing his crimes against the Sandpeople to Padme, it feels as if Padme doesn't listen to him! She just stands there emotionless. Her passiveness does come in very well, however, when she confesses his love to Anakin. Another part where she does do some decent work is her argument with Anakin at Tatooine. If she only had that much fire during the scene near the fireplace would the movie have been so much better. However, I thought Lucas' idea of stopping Anakin and Padme's kiss was good. I didn't expect that.

As for Anakin, I think Hayden Christensen played his part very well. This, at first, was a real problem to me but I soon realized that what I really didn't like was how Anakin was portrayed. I had always imagined Anakin as someone with a lot of seriousness. In ESB, Yoda speaks of his father being proud and reckless. But what I did not realize until one third into the movie was that Anakin was a flawed ch
  14. Kalor_Voe Jedi Master

star 4
    I realise this may be too short to be an entry, but the reviewer is only four years old. And the review is two words.

I went and saw it with my brother and nephew. Little Kyle is already a die-hard fan (his previous fave character is Darth Maul), and the screening was a surprise for him.
    He sat there open-mouthed for the entire movie. When we came out I asked him which part of the movie was his favourite, and he said:
    "Star Wars!"

Couldn't have said it better :)
  15. dolphin Chosen One

star 4
    Yes, similarly, the third time I saw the film it was full of skeptical sneering adults. When a child abruptly squealed in delight I knew Lucas still had the touch. I was THAT child long ago.
  16. Sabersparx Jedi Knight

star 1
    'Star Wars: Episode II- Attack of the Clones'
    REVIEW by Sabersparx
    (sabersparx@hotmail.com)

**** (4 of 4)

Summary: Lucas taps into the very soul of the human spirit, and returns us to that galaxy that, to many 'The Phantom Menace' haters, that is so far away.
    MILD-SPOILER REVIEW:

Where do I begin? First off, I highly enjoy 'The Phantom Menace.' As in, I STILL highly enjoy it. What many people don't understand about 'The Phantom Menace' is actually quite simple: it's the beginning of the larger story. Not just 'a' larger story- but -the- larger story. As in, the larger story already exists. Many critics and fans said that it didn't have much of a plot- if that were true, then Episodes IV-VI, the original trilogy, wouldn't have had a good story either. And bad stories = no fans, and since 'Star Wars' has more than enough fans to keep it popular, I'd say 'The Phantom Menace' did a bang-up job.

But I'm not here to preach about 'The Phantom Menace.'

I'm here to preach about the newest ace in the saga, 'Attack of the Clones.' And what an ace it is. Saga creator George Lucas and co-screenwriter Jonathan Hales have nailed the very human soul that many thought was lacking in the previous episode.

What is so different this time around? What gives it human soul?

Simple. The future twins of destiny must come about somehow, and for there to be birth, there must first come love.

'Attack of the Clones' is, and make no mistake about it, a primary love story. And by 'primary' I mean a quite basic love story. It doesn't overlap the film, yet it isn't shallow either. For this movie to work for me, the love story must have succeeded. It could not have worked any other way. I'm rather glad to report that not only does the film pull off the love story, but it actualy does a great job at pulling you into it.

Padme Amidala, now a senator for Naboo, is a prime target for assassins. Assigned to protect the senator until the source of the assassins is discovered, is none other than Anakin Skywalker, who may just end up being a key player in the original trilogy films. But this is a non-spoiler review, so I can't quite reveal his true identity to you.

As everyone already knows, Anakin has had a thing for Padme for quite some time.

"Are you an angel?" -Anakin, TPM

Not only does this set up the love story, but it lets us travel across the lands we are more than familiar with, including the grassy plains of Naboo and the scorching, desert sands of a certain planet I shouldn't even bother naming. It rhymes with 'Tatooine.' That's the biggest hint I can give you. Several key scenes occur on these planets, such as the introduction of a younger Owen (Joel Edgerton) and Beru(Bonnie Piesse), and more importantly, lets us meet Cliegg Lars (actor unavailable), who married Anakin's mother, Shmi (Pernilla August), shortly after Anakin departed her some 10 odd years ago. Anakin has had many of a nightmare about his mother, which ultimately leads up to a key emotional scene that was, without a doubt, beautifully handled. I was scared Lucas couldn't pull it off, but he does it in spades. I would also like to note the make-up work for this particular scene as well. Kudos.

Meanwhile, the handsome rogue Jedi, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), is hot on the trail of the assassin with a Kyber dart as his only clue...or is he? Obviously not, as stressed by Jedi Master Yoda (Frank Oz), because Obi-Wan has "lost his planet" as stressed by the humorous green hulk. On the note, this is clearly Yoda's film. This has been said in many a review, but it's so true and it must be mentioned here. Yoda really is a lead character this time 'round.

After careful studying and clues provided by Yoda and his younglings (Jedi children students), Obi-Wan embarks to the watery planet domain known as"Kamino". Obi-Wan doesn't know what sort of discovery lies ahead, but it's a fairly large one, one that could end up changing the galaxy.
  17. urbanmastermind Jedi Knight

star 1
    The first time I saw George Lucas' latest installment to the Star Wars trilogy, I hated it. I'm not going to sugar coat it for all the fan boys out there. Sure, Yoda was awesome.

But I'm sorry, 38 seconds of a little green wisdom-spitter going from limping to more nimble than any olympic gymnast and then back to handicapped, just wasn't enough.

I wanted the urgency of, "A New Hope," the plot twists of, "The Empire Strikes Back, " the character insight of, "Return of the Jedi," and the battle intensity of, "The Phantom Menace."

I felt like I was teased, cheated, and confused. So, I went back.

143 minutes of, "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones," made me hate the movie, but, 286 minutes made me fall in love with, "Star Wars," all over again.

Bottom-line: This movie rules.

From the opening minutes of the film Lucas subconsciously tells you to sit down, shut up, buckle-up and get ready for one hell of a ride.

I haven't been this excited since I saw the Matrix.
    I haven't been in such awe since I heard the line, "No, I am your father," for the first time.
    Hell, I haven't felt this way since I saw, "Citizen Kane".

Lucas and Hales' character layering is magnificent and is only rivaled by the actors and actresses' performances in light of their attention to detail.

Ewan McGregor proves himself again to be able to fill Alec Guinness' shoes and then some. McGregor gives a performance that not only pays tribute to his predecessor but simultaneously breaks away just enough to show his superior individual control of his craft.

Natalie Portman carries her weight superbly as the only prominent female character in the film. Portman does this by mixing flashes of Padme's extreme independence and intelligence with her bubbling compassion for those she cares for.

Christopher Lee seems all so natural in his role and is truly bonechilling as Count Dooku. George Lucas couldn't have picked a better actor.

Hayden Christensen. What can I say? This kid is good. Almost too good. Hell, this kid is great. Almost too great. And soon he will transcend words like, "good and great," to become beyond magnificent. That's all you need to know.

The lighting in this movie is just as good, if not better, than, "The Empire Strikes Back." At certain points in the film I can honestly say I felt chills running up my spine.

Now, some may ask me just why it took me two showings to see all of this.

Because I made the same mistake that David Ansen of "Newsweek," and A.O. Scott of the "New York Times," made: Going in with expectations.

I expected this movie to be the next best thing sliced bread. The truth is we hold NO movies in as high esteem as we do the, "Star Wars, " trilogies. No words can explain the feelings felt the first time we saw, "A New Hope." NOTHING was like it. Not, "Citizen Kane," not, "Psycho," not, "The Godfather," not, "Schindler's List."

The feeling is indescribable and irreplaceable.

So I dare you all to go into, "Attack of the Clones," like you entered that theater in 1977: Without expectations.

And if you do, you're in for one hell of a movie.
  18. Matuck Jedi Padawan

I've sat in awe of this film four times now.
    I left this movie the first time sad about only one thing. There's only one more left.

This movie starts with a bang.... literally. You're immediatly swept away into the intrigue of the story... who's out to kill Padme'. Padme' obviously a respected senator (after her dealings with the trade federation in EP I, no doubt) has an assignation attempt set on her. The Chancellor (pulling the strings of those around him in his own bid of power) asks Obi-Wan (with his Padawan Anakin) to be her protector.

From here the mystery of who's behind the attempts takes off.... Obi-wan sets upon finding the killer while Anakin, who has longed for Padme these past ten years, takes her to Naboo. Well, the rest of the story you know. Bing bang bong the movies over.

George Lucas did himself a service in hiring a co-writer in Jonathan Hales, after all it was Lawrence Kasdan who helped write Empire and we all know what a treat that turned out to be. (Though if I ever find out who wrote the "what a drag" or "I'm beside myself" lines I may have to hurt them a little.) The story moves much quicker and is far more eneteraining than the servicable Menance... which I should point out I liked. I mean without it could we have had this fine fare. I mean, whether you hate Jar-Jar or not what happens to him in this episode is a stroke of genius.

But wait you say, what about the last forty minutes....

I'm getting there.... The Beauty of this film is that it covers so much story that by the end of the movie you barely remember how it started and makes it easy for geeks like me to watch three times opening day and not get bored.

And then there's the last forty minutes which visually is a thing to behold. Stunning. The arena sequence with Jedi and even moreso the fight later outside between the droids and the clones is just breathtaking. Plus you god bad mother ** Mace running around showing his style. Everything is so lifelike especially those clones.

I should also take a moment to say that not all the effects were perfect, especially early in the film... but then again It's Star Wars... I still see the squares in ANH
    but it doesn't bother me.

But let me get to the lightsabers. People have complained to me that we never get to see Anakin really show his stuff... it's too talked about they say. Whatever. Trust he's good. When he and Obi confront Dooku and he rushes in, it proves he's learned nothing about patience. Though, I must admit, I would have loved another minute or so Ani's two lightsabers.

And then there's Yoda. WHo first of all, his new CGI'd self is incredible. Nothing against Frank Oz and his puppet (TESB, nuff said) but you get a great take on the character his soft side with the Younglings and his tortured side in the coucil room at the end.

But his lightsaber action, great as it was should have been longer. More Yoda I say! If anything was lacking in this film it's that.

Visually stunning, powerful and definitly leaves questioning the next chapter in the series. By Dooku telling Obi-Wan about Sidious' control of the Senate, do we really know what side he takes? What posseses Ani to hate Obi? And where the heck is Aurra Sing anyway?

All these questions will be answered in EP III: The Fall of the Jedi. <- My choice anyway it'd work so nicely with EP VI The RETURN of the Jedi.

Matt

19. Vitaminkg Jedi Padawan

OK, here it goes...

I'm not sure if anyone has done this but I'm going semi-David Letterman style and posting my "top 10" review points for AOTC.

10. If you haven't seen it digital, you haven't seen it. George has more than outdone himself on the technical front. The visuals are amazing and the sound is great.

9. Yes the love scenes were really cheesy, but I felt like for the most part, they worked. Natalie carries Hayden through most of them, but give him a break, you'd be nervous if you were "the Greatest of all the Jedi" too.

8. I loved how George made the movie feel. What I mean is, he makes it feel like the original trilogy. The action is there and it is executed with great precision.

7. The use of the music is incredible. John Williams is the king. The use of the original Imperial March, Vader's theme, and all the older music intertwined with the newer stuff was a big highlight for me.

6. Hayden. Some people may have thought he wasn't all that wonderful, but I thought he was almost perfect(love scenes not withstanding). His eyes are so intense, as childish and whiny as he was, there are points in the film where I actually got chills watching Hayden dip into the dark side. I could see Vader in those eyes.

5. Natalie. She is way too hot. Sorry about this one, I couldn't help but put my two cents in on how totally hot she is.

4. It makes me really want to see the next one. Episode I left me thanking my lucky stars that I knew there was going to be more because quite frankly I couldn't imagine a much worse Star Wars film. This one however peaks my imagination, I absolutely cannot wait for Episode III. Hurry George.

3. The development of characters was really good. Where Ep. I gave us the characters to see and get used to, Ep. II moves them toward their destiny nicely.

2. Man, Yoda kicked ass. Seriously, I know everyone and their brother's uncle will put that on their review, but really, he kicked ass. No question who the real star of both ESB and AOTC is.

1. Star Wars is back. George has left the kiddy stuff behind. Toning down the advertising/merchandising blitz was the perfect thing to do. This movie will be seen several times by people because people will actually talk about this one instead of watching as companies cram it down the throats of all their friends. This is the type of movie you tell people about, you talk about it, dicuss it, and see it over and over. Easily the best since ESB, but I have a feeling the best is due out May 25, 2005.

...So there it is, hope you can dig it.
  20. krampus Jedi Padawan

Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones

I have waited for Attack of the Clones for almost twenty years. The Phantom Menace I enjoyed, but AOTC made me a child again in all the ways it should have. On May 16th 8:00 am PST I sat in one of the finest movie watching establishments on Earth. I went to the Cinerama in Seattle with two jaded Star Wars fans who were much maligned by what they felt was a sub par effort (TPM) by a once brilliant film maker. While I didn't think The Phantom Menace was great, I certainly gained more joy from it then most people I've met and talked with about the film.

With my two friends to either side my anxiety built, as I wanted the film to harken back to something greater then itself. I also wanted it to shine so as to bring my companions back into the wonderful fold of Star Wars fandom.

Surrounding me on all sides was a saturation of fan excitement and nerves. I caught snippets of conversation which seemd to carry a similiar theme throughout, one of hopeful redemption for the series and for our beloved flannel wearing flag bearer. There were laptops playing Episode I, and toy light saber fights in the aisles. I caught glimpses of several costumes and all different varieties of Star Wars paraphanelia. The mood set, and with my heart seemingly beating the opening drum roll the lights went out, and the theater exploded. Cheers, whistles and random shouts of joy rose up into the air.

It was then that I saw a small gray line buzz quickly across the enormous Cinerama screen, and in my mind I thought I heard a click. Something inside me made me think of a computer starting, and I just about soiled myself in anticipation of the coming Digital logo. It was one of those moments when a dear friend offers you a present you don't really deserve. I had heard tale that the Cinerama may be getting a digital projector a few weeks after the release of AOTC, but blessedly those rumors were wrong. Here, now, opening day at 8:00 in the morning there it was. A digital freakin projector in all its amazingly crisp glory. The buzzing started around the theater as everyone grasped at the treat they had been offered, more applause erupted! This is what going to the theatre is supposed to be. A magical time of escapism, shared with a fun crowd and topped with an amazing film.

I shan't go into the specifics about the film itself, there will be no major spoilers here. For those of you who want to know what happens in the film, you undoubtedly already do, and for those of you don't and haven't seen it yet (shame on you) I shall try to keep things as vague as possible.

First let me address a couple of different grumblings I have heard from the appropriately villanized group we call critics. Hayden Christensen is wooden and monotone some say. Please, I beg of you. Set down the crack and step away from the pipe. I know not where you pull your knowledge of the thesbian craft, but I know I don't want any part of it. Hayden is magical in this role. There are moments of awkwardness, but not at his acting, but instead it's when that awkwardness is needed in the scene. It's refreshing to see a Jedi, the future Darth Vader no less nervous. In his reintroduction to Padme I thought it was great that Anakin stumbles a bit, embarassed because he does not know what to say. That immediate moment put my mind at ease as I saw humanity creep back into the series. I could choose more moments from young Christensens performance, but there too many to talk about in what is already becoming a long pseudo review. I will say though that the "confession" scene electric shocks of chills coursed through my body. To my mind, it's the most torturously intense scene in any Star Wars movie, and the only time I have wept openly in my favorite Saga.

To move on, I also must touch briefly on the rest of the performances. Ewan McGregor is brilliant, and does not only grasp the part, but becomes it. Any scene he's in is one that he owns completely.

Kudos go out to the ILM team and Frank Oz who c
  21. -PBoba- Jedi Padawan

Well, after five(!!!) viewings,I'm finally ready to write about the Attackof the Clones.

In short (?), my first viewing was a mixed bag. The jarring dialogue hurt, and the open-hearted innocence of the characters and dialogue in the love scenes was often met rudely by an equally mixed bag audience. The emotional swings between the two stories in the middle didn't help, and by the time Jango and Obi-Wan tangled in the asteroids, I could feel the weariness of a long day taking its toll. This exaggerated small observations into large irritations, to the point that I remember responding to the initial banter between Artoo and 3PO on Geonosis - which in hindsight, was classically wonderful - as if it was an outrageous attempt at "copying" Star Wars. The overwhelming coolness at the end reiterated for me that this was a good film that knew what it was about... but I was too staggered to know that myself yet.

Over the next 36 hours, in my mind, small flaws grew into nightmares. How could I come out of TPM - which I knew in my bones wasn't as good as AotC - on a greater high than the night before? The sabre-rattling criticisms from the net rang in my ears. In so many cases, I'd seen what they'd seen. On some levels, I'd already given up. I was resigned to the end of Star Wars. The conviction that I was no longer a "fan". Scenes of Clonetroopers, and chases, and Kouhons, and slaughters ran through my mind, but the coolness seemed outshaded by doubt. If it hadn't been Star Wars, this was not a film I would have felt impelled to see again.

So it was with trepidation that I sat down to my second viewing. Whatever happened, I was going to enjoy the film's cool bits while fresh and awake. Whatever else was just gravy. So I was caught completely unawares when Star Wars enfolded me again like the comforting embrace of former lover.

There was no strained rationalisation here. I let the movie wash over me with only the merest ripples of discontent every now and then. There were a handful of creative choices I would have made differently, but they were relative quibbles against the big picture. Mace's "Ansion" line-reading and one or two others grated; Dexter's diner still seems too kitsch, but at least there was a reason for Ob1 going to him and not a weapons dealer -it was part of the story of out-of-touch Jedi arrogance that runs through the entire film. Anakin's Freudian nightmare I could have done without, equally 3PO's "nightmare" trip on the conveyer droid. Otherwise everything fell into place without any effort, and the patches of stilted dialogue were barely noticed. As is the catch-cry around the net these days, "at least I caaaared about the characters!"

I don't know how anyone could possibly call this movie unfeeling and heartless. I think critics need to learn to unclench and embrace the heart-on-the-sleeve emotions in Star Wars, or of course they won't feel anything. I know my first-night crowd's cynical reaction put me in a bind there, even when so much of it was actually *good*. The imbalance with Amidala's side is there, unfortunately - a line or two about her whole life being devoted to her work would have fixed that. But as satisfied as I am with the love story as is, I know that it's still incomplete - so, as with TPM- any perceived flaws there could equally be a case of "spot the deliberate mistake".

The core cast were brilliant. Hayden and Natalie had a few tough lines, but the only real gaffe I felt was (surprisingly) his "I have a bad feeling about this". CGI Yoda... was incredible. I second any calls for a Best Supporting Actor for the incredible work with him. I don't hold with those who say the brilliant Ewan MacGregor or Samuel L weren't given enough to do with their talent. They're hired to play a *part* in a *space fantasy story*. You don't write in a naked Obi-Wan or cussing Mace just because the actors give good mileage for it.

Christopher Lee as Dooku I thought was serviceable; Boba and Jango were great, especially from a NZ perspective. Hearing the galaxy's most feared hunter go "Yep"
  22. the_code Jedi Padawan

CLONES: TAKING MOVIES TO THE NEXT LEVEL

Rating: 7/10

Episode II Attack of the Clones plays exactly the way it sounds, like a cheesy pulp sci-fi Sunday matinee flick? of the future! It?s fun, you?d be crazy not to see it, and everything about it from it?s digital filming and presentation, to it?s other-worldly almost completely CG canvas, make it unlike any film I?ve experienced. Unfortunately, it belongs to a series of films, and due it?s wild and ambitious nature, it sticks out like a sore thumb. First though, the good stuff, but be warned?this review has spoilers, and is slightly aimed at fans.

Lucas is working with the best technical and art teams he?s ever had, and the proof comes early in the film with an unforgettable shot of the Queen?s starship hovering above the cloud layered skies of Coruscant, (and the explosion to follow ain?t too shabby either). Already you know you?re in the presence of something great. The sights and sounds you?re experiencing are a peek at the future of cinema. A future that is ready (and willing) to seriously start catering to our senses? like the sublime rooms and corridors of Tipoca, Kamino did, or like the gut vibrating sound of those sonic chargers did. So, comparing ?Clones? with the same criteria used to compare all other great movies, you know right away ?Clones? doesn?t belong there. Those films are in a totally different league? and ?Clones?? on a totally different level. What you?re experiencing friends is on a higher level than anything yet seen in the movies. Lucas has un-doubt ably achieved pure audio-visual bliss, and that is what makes this film experience a must for everyone. A landmark jump for the most part, but with all these crazy technological goings on, things are starting to look a bit, well, weird. It?s as if ?Clones? has been set in a different reality, a dreamy like world, where dimension and colour defy the known laws of physics. The first time we see Obi Wan and Anakin appear before the Council, they look almost like holograms, floating within the scenery. (I?ve seen the film twice, digital and film, and both times the dude next to me snickered). These ever present ?glows? around the characters, especially Obi Wan just earlier in the elevator, or later talking to Windu and saucer-borne Yoda, makes them look almost like ghosts and Obi Wan with the beard and blue eyes, like Jesus Christ! There is some severe lighting and colour work needed here to make the characters look as if they?re actually in these CG environments. Everything CG on its own in this film is great! It?s everything put together that just doesn?t meet the mark. But there?s no denying that the scope of the battle scenes or some of the exotic locations, along with an impressive musical score, can really transport you, and that is what Star Wars is all about.

This film has more though, and unfortunately in this case, more is not a good thing?there?s MORE death and dismemberment met with MORE comedy, there?s MORE of a love story met with MORE cheesiness. This film tries to be everything. Unfortunately throwing everything in but the kitchen sink ultimately made this film loose some of the class that the other four films had. They knew their boundaries! Right away you?re thinking ?Menace,? but where ?Menace? got silly (Jar Jar with the battle droid blaster tied around his leg), this one got really silly (the 3PO/battle droid stuff, the Yoda confronting Dooku stuff). Where the last one got cheesy (?Don?t look back, don?t look back?), this one got really cheesy (everything that came out of Anakin and Amidala?s mouth). Where the last one had bad acting (Anakin), this one had really bad acting (Anakin and everybody else except maybe Dooku). And much of this is attributed to a worse script than Menace, and the inability for the actors to get a feel for their environment and their fellow actors because pretty much everything, more than ever, is CG. And there are many more examples for each of the above mentioned points favoring Menace so please don?t get me
  23. kelly08 Jedi Padawan

I thought AOTC was a decent movie. TPM was a better movie. Good points, Hayden's acting was awesome. He delivered his lines exactly and his looks and stares were great. Portman was beautiful in every outfit, and her lines with Hayden were very good. Things happened way to quick in this film, fight scenes were short and quick, and for the most part boring. The final duel between Yoda and Dooku was painful. Are we laughing and cheering for Yoda or for how studid the fight looked. The three was duel in TPM was ten times better than this final duel. AOTC does not come close to TESB, it just doesn't have that sense of doom in the end. To much CGI, bring the Yoda puppet back. Mace's showdown with Jango was quick and pointless. The first 45 minutes of the film I loved. Then it got choppy and cheesy. Obi Wan was great in this movie. I miss Qui-Gon. Hopefully Episode 3 will deliver the Empire movie I am looking for. I would have to give this disappointing movie 5 out of 10. Just because it is Star Wars movie. Please Mr. Lucas, please give everybody what they want in the next movie. Stop with the fake looking CGI, and give us character development and kick ass scenes and please don't ruin Anakin and Obi Wan's final duel.
  24. jbtilley Jedi Knight

It is hard to place this Star Wars in the same list of all time favorites as TPM and the OT. It is very evident that Attack of the Clones is something different.

As opposed to the standard pan down that we are accustomed to, the movie takes a turn north. Some fans may be alienated by such an insignificant thing, but this alone denotes a change in the state of the universe - a 'point of no return' that I feel Lucas wanted to create.

The opening scenes of Coruscant shrouded in clouds is unique and visually interesting. It stands out and gives the audience hints that everything is not as it would seem.

The next moment of the movie that grabbed me was the car chase. After the pod race in TPM, I was expecting another chase scene that would drag on and take up critical film time that could best be used elsewhere. I was wrong. This scene alone pulls the audience into the Star Wars universe more than episode 1 in its entirety.

The space battle between Jango Fett and Obi Wan was in the same vein. This scene did not fail to create tension, and the absence of music for the first half of the dogfight added to it. The silence of space created an atmosphere of severity and it makes the audience feel as though this is a life and death situation - as it should. Both chase scenes in this movie delivered me to the edge of my seat.

After reading several reviews, I expected the love scenes to be arduous. This was not the case. I was worried that these scenes would bog the film down in much the same way TPM is toward the middle of the film. In some aspects the relationship seems to move to quickly for people who really are forbidden to love or otherwise choose not to for the sake of career. While not awful, the love scenes are nothing to write home about, or for that matter nothing for the intended target market to google over.

I found the last climactic battle to be very dizzying. I'm sure fans have waited for something like this and I feel like it is necessary to create any feeling that a real battle is taking place. It is hard to say weather it is over the top or just right.

Among the complaints I have about the movie are the one on one battles. I would very much like to see them extended. I am not looking for a long drawn out battle, but rather a balance. The adrenaline only kicks in for so long, therefor a long battle would grow stale and boring, but the one on one battles in this movie literally last seconds. The enlongated battle scenes that are between the two armies should privide the quick kills while the one on one fights should be longer. Why else should they go to the trouble of showing a one on one battle? What makes it stand out? Anakin did not show any potential as being the 'chosen one' of the force. I was gearing up for a disappointment in the Yoda vs. Dooku scene. With all of the hype surrounding it in nearly every review I was trying to keep my expectations on an even plane. It was perfect in length and perfect in every way. I definitely wan to return for a second viewing to see just how Count Dooku fends Yoda's attack off.

In closing I feel that this movie proves that the magic is back. TPM and AOTC both build up to the climax that will be episode 3. The difference is that AOTC dos it in a much more entertaining way.
  25. Ko-jah Jedi Knight

star 1
    first off i'd like to say that i enjoyed the movie both times i saw it, but there just wasnt a sense of satisfaction when i finished watching. i think it was due to the overall flow of the movie and the short climactic duel in the end, also the second time i watched there were a efw lines that didnt tie in to well together.
    having said that, my review is more about critising only certain scenes, since being a sw fan i cant help but love it, but from what i have learnt as far as the deleted scenes are concerned, a much better version can be put together. (lengthy but good IMO)
    here is a list of scenes i would cut from the official movie and the reasons why i would cut them:

1. anikin and padme where padme is packing her luggage, shows anikin be all happy and in an instant changes mood and begins yelling. the reason why id cut this is because although ani struggles with the conflict within, it portrays him far to volatile IMO which is kind of like a chemical unbalance. another reason is because it would make the scene on tatooine much more powerful where he blows up, which is clearly the pivotal moment when he veers down the path to the darkside. the fact that we saw him yell and bitch about being obi's tutelage after calling him a father "softens the anger scene on tatooine. besides he says elsewhere, a couple of times that obi wan is like a father to him, which also makes the first half of that scene not needed.

2. anikin in the feild decides to ride on that big cow thing. firstly an insult to the CG crew because there was not enough time spent on smoothing every detail out, secondly IMO it was not in the least bit entertaining, thirdly the love between anikin and padme should be a THEME not a story like leia and han in ESB (everyone could see it comming, you dont have to spell it out and spend time on showing the audience) and fourthly because he rode the reek in the arena wich bucked several times before it calmed down. plus i think it was just a silly break in the overall movement of the storyline.

3. the fire scene where anikin talks a lot of crap, i mean come on!!!! you do not tell a chick that you cant breathe and that she haunts you in your dreams, and i think many will agree that this is and was one of the only serious flaws in the movie it was a "critics banquet", sadly i did like the part where padme asks him about living a lie yadda yadda, because it does tie into the line when they kiss at the arena entrance, i'd have to watch the film a few more times to see if it could be salvaged. many of you might think that it showed the inexperience of them but i think the first kiss drove that point home where the music abruptly ends and anikin pastes that look across his face as if to say "what the hell did i do wrong? and what do i do now?" that was very entertaining because it showed the awkwardness and im sure most people could relate to at least once having a similar experience
    apart from that the dialogue was also forced with anger in his words, as many have already said.

now that that is over i want to put the stuff that ive heard about in the deleted scenes back into the final version, and here is my reasons why.

1. padme's address to the senate. i think at least some of that should be in it because it talks about the dissaproval of creating an army and i also get the impression that dooku gets mentioned. if you recall when padme enters the council between the jedi and palpatine, one of the first thing she says is "i think count dooku is behind it" and i was like, 'where the hell did that come from???' also a mention of count dooku and a mention of a separatist movement would tie in well with padme's line and the opening scroll.

2. madam jocasta nu explaining the loast jedi - another reference to dooku. perhaps this short scene could show us that obi wan was sensing something as he passed dookus bust. plus it gives a background on jedi who leave the order.

3. follow up on the lost jedi with mace yoda and obi 1 right before obi says that anikin is becomming arrogant. maybe neede
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.