CONTEST: Post your SW2 Review here!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Joshua Griffin, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcdashiell Jedi Padawan

The films pretty simple and easy to follow even with the chopped up editing. The acting was a bit strange. I sometimes feel the supporting actors don't take it surious at times. I loved boba fett because of the way he sized up obi-wan. Some of the best acting is done without saying a word.
    The only real problem I had with the film was the merchandise. The reason being is i bought all the toys saying to myself damn look at all these jedi! So when the climax of the film comes I'm like where's Saesee Tiin, Plo Koon, Nikto, Luminara Unduli and Shaak Ti to name a few. I thought each of the jedi should have had their own 10 to 15 second stand off to showcase their skills. If you think about it that would give a little kid a choice to say wow the girl jedi was awesome or Plo koon was the man. It would only take about 2 minutes of screen time. That's what i was looking forward to, but didn't happen. Let's face it the best part of the films are the lightsaber duels. I wanted more I'm thirty years old and have a five year old and he's crazy about the lightsaber duels just as i was and still am. One thing i do know the in episode 3 there better be about 45 minutes of lightsaber battles between the sith and jedi, anakin vs. obi-wan, mace vs. boba all the action figures in action. I can't forget the death star taking out Coruscant. Well three years to go, and after all that i give episode 2 a lucky seven. Take care and be mindful.
  2. tapsmiled Jedi Padawan

SPOILERS
    I don't think I will ever forget the feeling I had last night...like a child learning that Santa Claus was not real or there was no tooth fairy.
    I have never in my life sat in a darkened theater waiting for or hoping that a Star Wars movie would soon end. These glorious movies could never last long enough for me...until last night. Santa is dead. All I can ask now is...why?

To begin, Hayden, my original concern going into the movie, was effectively compelling as Anakin. His anger seemed real. The love story, although a bit forced at times and one-sided, actually worked.

So why did George Lucas feel compelled to make C-3PO, our most beloved protocol droid, into the Jar Jar of Episode II. I cringed with every passing scene and every drop of dialogue. Why take a beautifully crafted character and turn him into a buffoon?

Why did he make R2-D2 fly??

The Yoda fight was...humorous. Was this the intention? It wasn't awe or excitement that I felt during his battle with Dooku, it was concern for my childhood friend--the Star Wars Universe.

This movie never felt like Star Wars...it never felt like home. Sure, there were colorful lightsabers and "I have a bad feeling about this", but the originals never relied upon: coincidences (Shmi lasting long enough to see her son {who she didn't even know was coming}), meaningless action sequences that don't drive the story (the dreaded droid factory sequence), and ridiculous destruction of characters (C-3PO as a battle droid).

Alec Guiness could not perform acrobatic trickery in his lightsaber battle---he never needed to. Even after the brilliant Darth Maul/Obi-Wan extravaganza, the original duels still seem poignant/effective/beautiful. My point is, why put Christopher Lee, a gifted genius of an actor, in a position to do battle with a light saber then try to make it into a whirlwind explosive scene. People comment on the beauty of Anakin vs Dooku and how the only illumination came from the sabers. All I could think was that it was a shallow attempt by Lucas to hide Lee's inability to perform acrobatic trickery. Is this Christopher Lee's fault? Of course not. It is Lucas' for creating a scene that could not be effectively filmed due to the age of one of the actors.

I do feel that Lucas fights a losing battle---critics/fanboys/naysayers who complain about no character development, plot points, or too much CGI, but are these criticisms reason enough to create the train wreck that I witnessed last night?

Where was the mysticism of The Force?
    Where was the fear or intimidation of the Dark Side?
    Where is my Santa?

My last complaint, and this is minor, is referring to a single phrase that should forever be removed from the lexicon of Star Wars. My hope is that "My Young Padawan" is a phrase I shall never hear again. It sounds forced every single time.

To those who enjoyed the film, I am eternally envious. I avoided the spoilers (for the most part) but nothing could have prepared for for the disappointment I felt last night. Will I see it again? Absolutely. George has earned the right to my $16; I only hope that after subsequent viewings I come away with a better taste in my mouth.

God I miss Santa...I wish he didn't die last night.
  3. BLKNIGHT18 Jedi Master

star 4
    First, let me give a little background about where I'm coming from before going into AOTC. I've loved the OT since I was young, in the order of ESB,ANH, then ROTJ. I liked TPM, but was disappointed by how slow it moved, expository dialogue, Jar Jar, and Jake LLoyd. I loved the political intrigue, and the lightsaber duel was incredible, however. Some of my other favorite movies are Godfather, Shawshank, Princess Bride, Pulp Fiction, Ben Hur, LOTR, Raiders, Gladiator... I went in completely spoiled, having been to TF.N every day since 99. I've also read every review, but decided not to read the novel yet.

I went to a midnight showing in Durham, NC. My overall impression after the movie was that I just had 2 1/2 hours of pure fun. I walked in with high expectations for AOTC, very high in fact. ESB high. From the first pan up and approach into Coruscant, I got a good feeling about AOTC being the SW film I'd been waiting for. The explosion set the movie in motion, but what really drew me in was Anakin and Obi-wan together on the elevator before meeting up with Padme.

The reason why I have been looking forward to AOTC is because I felt that I could relate to Anakin like I never could relate to a SW fan before. I never really related to Luke, or Han in the OT. Loved them, especially Han, but didn't see myself as them. Anakin I could see myself as. I imagined how nervous I would be seeing the only girl in my life again. Seeing Anakin stumble through that first scene with her seemed believable to me. I felt for him.

The coruscant chase was just amazing. Pure movie fun. Better than the ROTJ endor speeders and even the pod race. I was stunned by the visuals, and really enjoyed the back and forth with Obi-wan and Anakin.

Now, contrary to most critics, I enjoyed the first half of the film, and really related to the love story. Maybe it's because the first love in my life started even faster than Anakin and Padme. Anakin was trying SO HARD to get Padme to lose control and give in to him, because by that time he had already lost control. He had lost control of his feelings, a no-no for a Jedi, and was asking her to lose control for the first time in her life. This is what she is drawn to, someone who is asking her to lose control, when her whole life has been about keeping strict control over her feelings and acting logically. But what GL showed us in TPM is that Padme does go w/ feelings over logic, like when she returned to Naboo, or went with QGJ on Tatooine as her own decoy.

I thought Natalie did a good job, and looked absolutely incredible. I think she was outshined by the other actors in the movie. It might be that she has no real direction. At least with Hayden, Ewan, Ian, Anthony Daniels, Morrison, Daniel Logan, they know where their characters are heading in subsequent movies and can act accordingly. Natalie and SLJ aren't in the know, and I think their performances suffer because they don't have that direction, and GL isn't enough of an actor's director to make up for the fact that they don't know where they are going to end up.

The audience that I was with got big laughs out of the nightmare sequence, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. When the two lovers go back to Tatooine, I enjoyed seeing the Lars homestead, it made me think back to ANH.

As far as Shmi's death goes, I did NOT like the head flop. The flop may be a more realistic portrayal of someone dieing, but it made people chuckle in the theatre and that took away from the otherwise emotional scene. Anakin shows off his acting skills incredibly in this scene. His turn from pain to hate is perfect. When he confesses to the crime, I was stunned, I don't think the trailers did it credit by just using the "he's holding me back" line.

I haven't even talked about Obi-wan on his mission, which is so great. Ewan pulls off the best performance of the movie. His stare down with Jango is priceless. Their fight is great but too short. The asteroid chase was really cool, I need to get a sound system for the DVD just
  4. vpt_ Jedi Knight

star 1
    EPISODE II: The Supporting Bridge of the Prequels

I went into this movie after watching Episode I. I went in hoping. No, not hoping for 'A Shining Light' or "Lucas better have learned something from the fans!", hoping that this movie would make me even happier than Episode I. And, it did.

The movie started out with a surprise when the post-text stars moved...down? Some kind of foreshadowing that this one would be different, almost too different. I got an enigmatic feeling, but it went away at the sight of the new ship that Lucas introduced. Then, at the sight of new and mature Padme, I was assured that this was it. This one was a winner.

The acting in this movie was as double-sided as Darth Maul's lightsaber. Hayden Christensen, Natalie Portman and Ewan gave a truly real life performance. I felt what they felt. I questioned what they questioned. On the negative side, Jango and Boba Fett seemed too artificial for me. Some of the new alien species were too dramatic and even a bit annoying. The dialog was improved, but still had bugs to it. Although, there are some lines which I will carry forever.

The sound and special effects were those that I have only seen surpassed by 'The Matrix' if not tied. John Williams sets the tone for a romantic movie while maintaining a fast paced action theme. The introduction of the Imperial March was seemless. The new ships, weapons, and Yoda were great! Each was detailed and visually impressive. The final battle scene was stunning in many aspects. Bridging on the shoulders of a 'Braveheart' style battle, this is the first 'All Out' land-air-jedi (yes they have their own place in nature) battle in a Star Wars movie. Ship-wise, Annakin's early chase was one of the highlights of the films for me. The Jango and Obi-Wan chase was well done...visually. Yet it remains poorly written. Jango Fett's suit and other technology was amazingly designed.

The Jedi. Isn't that enough said? The Jedi got their 15 minutes of fame, the 15 minutes the fans have wanted for over 15 years! Truly well coreographed and visually stunning. I will agree that the Yoda battle was lame (although Yoda's other scenes were not so bad). It was almost a parody. Yoda is the Jedi who focuses on wisdeom and the force after all. And Yoda as a general? This is the Gungan Battle-type thing in Episode II in my opinion. I say Mace Windu should've taken the job of taking on Dooku in the end. Annakin's killing of the Tusken Raiders was a stunning reminder that this character was going to be Darth Vader! Pleasing, nonetheless.

Finally, there is the end. The end that takes an example from The Empire Strikes Back. In other words, IT LEAVES YOU HANGIN'! As I walked out, many people murmered "the end sucked!", but I saw right through it. As a Lucas apologist, I have always said that he does what he wants because it's his movie. Even if we, the fans see flaws, he must only be doing it for marketing purposes. I'm not the type who hates movies, and this movie gave me no insentive to. Every movie has it's flaws, and Lucas had to cram a lot into this one, but he did it right while introducing new storylines.

Truly unforgettable. Summed up: Different from any other Star Wars film. 8/10!
  5. DARTHNAN Jedi Padawan

I totally agree with your review. This was the greatest movie I have ever seen!!!! I loved every detail of it-from the different planets to the incredible action-all of it was awsome!!!!! Yes my jaw was open throughout the movie. I **** my pants when I saw the depth and detail of the effects. With the exception of Nataile, I thought the entire cast were brilliant!!!!
    George Lucas is a genius for bringing us these stories. I think it's so awsome that a movie can bring people of different backgrounds together-that's more of what the world needs. Absolutely everyone in the world should check out Ep.2, because it'll make you feel like a kid again.
    Ep.2 10/10-may the force be with you!
  6. oldstuff Jedi Padawan

Whilst I enjoyed Phantom Menace I never felt the need to see it again in the cinema but just an hour or so after seeing AOTC I was making another advanced booking for this weekend. It isn't without it's faults but what film is? I don't care about corny jokes, bad dialogue and poor acting because Star Wars has always had these but certain individuals have been blinded by childish memories rather than reviewing the film fairly in it's own right. I loved Yoda (who didn't!), the Fetts were superb and I thought that Obi-Wan was a much more entertaining character this time. The only downside is that it still wasn't quite dark enough as the scenes that were (Kenobi vs Fett and Annakin/Sand People) managed to enhance the movie no end. I'll give the film a deserved 8.5/10 and can't wait to see it a few more times!
  7. Dirt_Jedi Jedi Padawan

Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones
    I just returned from viewing the second prequel in the Star Wars saga. I think I may have to see it again to form a complete substantial opinion but my initial opinion of the movie comes from C-3PO's metal lips: "What a drag." Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, and I can even accept some of 3PO's corny one-liners, but it didn't move well at times.

I enjoyed 95% of the story but I disliked 50% of the pacing.

There were 2 minor parts of the story I disliked, and they both have to do with timing. I didn't really like was Shmi's time of departure. That's a little too convenient. Maybe it was the overwhelming rush of Midicholorians in the tent. I also think that Anakin and Padme should have shared a stronger emotional moment before the first kiss. Actually, I think a first kiss would have timed out just fine while they were goofing off in the field. That would have been a more natural time for a young couple. After all at that moment they were giddy and playful, with little concern about the occupational stresses that plagued them. Instead they kissed pretty much upon arrival at the lake, after a flight on a freighter and a political meeting. I do like they political aspect of the prequels, but not enough to cause any physical passion.

The pacing in the middle of the movie was like a television soap opera. The fuzzy geometric transitions happened so often that I could hardly keep track of what planet I was watching. I think both Anakin/Padme's story as well as Obi-Wan's would have been stronger and more complete if it was actually slowed down a bit and given just a little more detail. The middle of the movie seemed like someone channel surfing between two TV shows instead of paying full attention to one show, then watching the re-broadcast of the other. The core plotline was rushed just to accommodate a 5-act action finale.

The pacing was also weak due to the poorly executed use of the musical score. For the first time in a Star Wars movie, the score seemed misplaced. In the first half of the asteroid chase there wasn't even any music when it deserved a tense action oriented soundplay. In other parts it seemed like only a quick few bars were inserted, followed by silence. It was so painfully obvious that the music was inconsistent that I began wondering if there was a problem with the audio in the theater. It almost seemed like half of the audio track wasn't playing at all. Sometimes there would only be sound effects or dialog, followed by silence, other times the music would ring triumphant but it wouldn't be supplemented with any sound from the action. I'm not sure how sound is played in a theater but something seemed wrong. It was as if the audio was only using certain random halves of a multi-track playback.

That is one of the reasons I need to see the movie again before I settle on a firm opinion but for now I only give AOTC a C, but it had the plot potential to be an A. Whereas TPM got a C-, but it only had the plot potential of a B.
  8. MurphySolo Jedi Padawan

Like (probably) any of you reading this... I think I overdosed on bits and pieces and spoilers for the last several months..maybe a year!(largely from theforce.net!)... so I already had played out the movie in my mind.. I think I even dreamed it a couple of times. Hey I was 9 in '77 and I'll always be a huge fan.

I give Ep.2 7 out of 10.

I loved so many of the elaborate scenes.. maybe in this order:
    * Jango/Boba chasing ObiWan through the asteriods... some have complained at the lack of score use here by J. Williams. I disagreee... the sound effects were the greatest I've ever heard in any film Those explosions were sooooo fricking cool! Music would have fought with that. The visuals were astounding too. Loved Loved Loved that scene.
    * ObiWan vs. Jango on the landing platform. Cool as all get out.
    * The attack of the clones scene... (end of the humongous battle at the end)... with those nifty gunships.. WW2ish... one blew up and sounded like a WW2 large plane going down. Nice touch.
    * Dooku, ObiWan, Anakin and Yoda at the end with sabers of course. Fun stuff.

Since I foolishly played out the whole film in my head.. here's how I saw (was I using the force?) the following scenes playing out... differently than they did.. (obviously I feel these would be improvements they could have made)

Some things I wished I could have seen:
    * Someone at Lucasfilm needs to grow a set and tell George after reading the script.. CLEAN OUT AND REDO that dialogue in the fireside "we could keep it a secret" scene. That was painful to watch. George needs to hire someone who isn't allowed to be a yesman! I volunteer!
    * A key appealing element to the proceedings in A New Hope and The Empire S.B. was the fact that the characters didn't talk in a stilted way... they talked like anyone today would talk...rather.. in 1976 and 1979 respectively. (e.g. H Solo.."I dunno.. you think a guy like me and a girl like her could.... LUKE.."NO!")... That's all they needed to do with Padme and Anakin.. let them be "of the modern age" with the manner they speak to each other... let them flirt with each other like they would if the movie took place in 2002 USA... that would have worked better than.. "I've died a little bit each day"...
    Maybe Meathead (Rob Reiner)who directed Harry Met Sally and who ever wrote Moonstruck in the 80s.. could spend a weekend up at George's compound to pump in the romantic dialogue (though I'm not sure much will be needed in Ep. 3.. since there's so many people to be killed off.. that will prob. occupy the whole film!!)
    * With the Tuscan Raider massacre scene... why not have him rescue his mom and start to get away... only to be foiled and have her die before him.. more tragically (take or cue.. or rip off for all I care.. the scene where Mel loses his wife in Braveheart with the slit to her neck)... not just find her tied to a quiet closet post like that. Then he can overcome the raiders and nix them all.... OR... why not have him fashion a sort of mask that reminds us of Vader.. and he could show up and get them all dramatically masked.. maybe show a close up.. extend it... Darth Vader theme... and then show people trembling.. kids, moms... and then have him start in... and then cut to keep the PG if that's needed (sort of like the circular swipe fade out they did actually do). That was a huge potential to really make the movie.. that scene with his mom... and I was disappointed.
    * When Anakin's arm is lopped off.. it's done so fast.. and with so minor attention or drama... it's bizarre... why not capitalize on that moment.. and play it up for the full drama (like was so well done in Ep. 6 with Luke looking at his arm and back at his pop's and so on).. why not have him knock Dooku down a bit.. and then have that happen. (maybe that will happen in Ep. 3!)
    * Jar Jar... why not have the senate have a tied vote.. high drama.. and be waiting for Jar Jar to show up.. and then Jar Jar.. is late to the meeting due to some mechanical trouble.. "meesa really tryingsa to provesa myself" he could frustratingly sta
  9. DarkKnightDude Jedi Padawan

Christopher Lee, Anakin embracing his darker side, and Yoda throwing down- you don't get much better than this!

Episode II brings us teasingly close to the Dark Side of the Force, but manages to keep us from crossing over. I give this film 9/10 stars.

Why only nine and not the full ten? Believe me, this film cut it close. My only complaints of this film lie in a couple areas: the film did kind of stall at some points, and Mace Windu's fight-scene. First off, the film did kind of take its sweet time getting to some things. Granted, characters had to be explored and situations set up, but it still managed to drag FOR A LITTLE WHILE! When this film picked up, it REALLY picked up! Secondly, Mace Windu can't fight to save his life. Samuel L. Jackson had to be the stiffest, most uncordinated Jedi ever. For being one of the most-powerful Jedi, he seems a little stiff.

Now, why did this film get nine stars? First off, Hayden amazed me in his role. I had my doubts, but have found his portrayl of an angst-torn Anakin to be some of the best acting I have seen in a while: he put his heart into it. When Anakin *spoiler* lets loose on the Tunschins (sp.?), you can see why, and you can sympathize with him. I like the way Lucas only shows him killing a few, because he leaves the rest up to the audience's imagination. His confession to Padme is, like someone already stated, some of the best acting in all of Star Wars. Secondly, I love Christopher Lee, what can I say! The man amazes me. He's either eighty, or close to it, and here he is, more than holding his own. Thirdly, the fight scenes are incredible. I do agree that they were too short, but they used the time they had. Lucas seemed to set up Yoda's fight in an Old-West stand-off sort of way. The computer graphics are indescribable, and must be seen to be believed. *Spoiler* The introduction of the Death Star sends chills up your spine. Did you notice the subtle playing of the Imperial March as Anakin was telling Padme of his grevious act? Brilliant.

Episode II rivals ESB, and may take the title as best in the series. It has my vote.
  10. DarthGrayden Jedi Padawan

Holy crap....where does one begin with this film. I'll just start with Visuals/Sound. If anyone can make a movie sound beyond great it's Lucas. His pioneering of film audio as let me utter this phrase, "He could make a silent movie sound awesome." basically saying that if he wants to he can do the impossible, and he does with AotC. From Senator Amidala's ship engines roaring from one side of our theatre to the other in the opening scenes( which oddly reminds me of a hybrid between WW2 bomber and today's stealth bomber)to the almost seductive humm of the lightsabers...this movie sounds perfect. In my opinion if it makes the theatre shake and rumble but at the same time doesnt shatter my ear drum....it rocks. Lucas and ILM also outdid themselves in the FX dept. too. Im so glad they didnt make 1,2, and 3 first....cuz it wouldve done no justice to the lavish environs in this trilogy....at all. I admit that while alot of the planetary backdrops for the film are CG, they are absolutey breathtaking and gorgeous. Even the storm-battered planet of Kamino is awesome. Naboo is revisited in all its lush, Garden-of-Eden-like beauty. Geonosis is like Tatooine...desolate, harsh, and ugly. Yet, lucas manages to turn it into the ultimate battle-ground. Now, as for Coruscant....its heralded as the "Jewel of the Core Worlds" and that exactly what i saw in AotC. Seeing multi-tiered lanes of traffic pass between the spires of the city is just.....well, DAMN COOL....and the chase scene with Obi-wan and Anakin brought back that on the edge of your seat thrills from the Pod race in Episode I. There were times when the movie looks and sounds so...alive and real that i could almost cry.

The story i think was done very well, for mainly being an action movie, i.e. lots of explosions and fighting, Lucas did a great job intertwining that with the romance of Anakin and Padme. you feel right along with them as they are tormented by their 'Forbbiden Love' and when Anakin goes for his mother and hes shown speeding across the desert on a speeder bike with a determined, almost vengeful look in his eyes you get this evil/sinister feel from him and that chill runs up your back, and when Shmi dies in his arms....you damn well bet id be pissed as hell too if it were my mother. The part where the Tusken Raider runs up to Anakin, and he just takes this rage-filled, two-hands on the saber, side slash to its head......my jaw drops just thinking about it, much less when i see it.

Action scenes...now c'mon, really, if youve seen the movie you know these have to be in their own cateogry. HOLY @#&*!!!!!!!!thats all i can say, really. They are just un-*&^%ing-believable.....i would pay 7$ jsut to see the last 45 minutes.....from the moment I saw mace windu's boots i was grinnin like a nerd whod jsut gotten laid for the first time....for 45 minutes mind you...to see all the jedi fighting was seeing a dream come true....ever since i saw Luke and Vader fight at the end of RotJ i wanted to see a battlefield of lightsabers...along with the rest of the world. Altho much to my dismay jango fett died way too fast...but as SW.com says....Mace was second only to yoda....if he gets within 3 ft....nothin can stop him....and nothin did. I loved when Anakin cut the power condiut and the hanger went dark....in my mind what happened was the Luke/Vader/Emperor confilct in RotJ....just 35 some years earlier....Dooku and anakin "dueling in the dark" Dooku frying anakin with lightning....Anakin getting his arm lopped off....of course, i, along with everyone else in teh theatre, went absolutely INSANE when Yoda showed up and went to town and the little green badass makes it very clear that you(and jay and silent bob fans will agree) "DON'T !@#$ WITH THE JEDI MASTER"
    10 out of a possible 5 stars
  11. kingdavid Jedi Padawan

I have been a viewer at each of the SW movies. I think this was a good movie. I am not at all convinced of the characters, most especially Anakin. In AOTC he comes off as a psycho. As Vader he always knew what he was doing. The character Anakin seems very mature one minute and an idiot the next.

Too many scenes where subject changed to quick. The love story was way too short and occured way too quick to be believable. And I can not really believe that all this dark side stuff happened right under the noses of the jedi....seems a little suspect to me.

To put it simple, it is very difficult to make clear connections with the first trilogy and this one. That being said, this movie was far better than TPM. At least in this one there was some action and the CGI meshed better.

I give it a 5/10.
  12. sdamon Jedi Padawan

I might be the only who feels this way, which is fine, but I actually preferried the Phantom Menace to Attack of the Clones.

Lucas promised this story was going to get dark, and truly he didn't lie. But unlike ESB which had it's darkness tempered by genuinely humorous moments, AOTC seems terribly depressing. I guess I already miss the lighter tone that was present throughout the previous four episodes. Obviously, thing will only become darker in Episode III.

It doesn't help that much of this movie moves terribly slowly. While also a problem in Episode I, AOTC is even more frustrating in that some really important scenes seem way too short. Tatooine goes by in a blur, and what happens there is SO important in the life of Anakin Skywalker that far more attention should have been paid to it.

Others have mentioned the weak music score for this movie, which I heartily agree with. The asteroid chase in Empire has some of the best film music of all time running under it, by contrast, AOTC's lack of music during it's asteroid sequence was appalling. And say what you will about Episode I, the score for it's lightsaber sequence was MAGNIFICENT... the tribal drums used in this one were no match.

Speaking of the final lightsaber duels... I'll take the duel from ANY of the prior movies over what I just saw. Anakin and Obi-wan are defeated in MINUTES? This was the same Obi-wan who defeated Darth Maul? The same Anakin who is to become 'the greatest of all Jedi'? And to have them get saved by this suddenly super-charaged Yoda... I know most fans loved that scene... I guess it just went right against how I've always felt about Yoda. "Great warrior? Wars not make one great." Yoda, to me, was always the ancient Zen master... not a fighter.

So I'm disappointed... guess I now know how many of you felt after watching Episode I. I wouldn't go as far to say AOTC is a bad movie... just not at all what I was expecting or hoping for.

By the way, I'm happy for each and every one of you that enjoy it... thank goodness we all have different tastes. I certainly don't wish to sway anyone who liked the movie, after all, I liked Episode I very much and will happily defend it to it's many critics. I guess after over 20 years of loving Star Wars, I felt the need to express some of my disappointment in not loving the latest chapter. Thanks for reading.
  13. DARTHBOBERT Jedi Padawan

I'am the "non critic". I here all this talk about diolog issues in AOTC......I couldn't see it. I take that back. I didn't care for the one liners from C-3PO in the arena battle, "What a drag" and "I'm beside myself". Other than that it was great flik. I give it two Anakin elbow nubs up!!! But what do I know? Your reading from a man who cried at Robocop.

Cried like a friggan baby!
  14. DevanJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    For those of you just planning on skimming through my review, let me make it easy for you.

Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones is the most deep and rich Star Wars film of them all.

When I say deep and rich, I mean from the standpoint of storyline, characters and locations. The film has definite flaws; more so than the original trilogy; but it also has a storyline that is vast beyond anything any other Star Wars film has demonstrated in the past.

Yoda is the star of the film, and thankfully has been given more than just his wise and preachy Episode I role- there is humor, wisdom and power in his character this time around. Without going into details of the plot, I will say that after this film you will never look at Yoda the same way again.

Jar Jar has a much smaller role this time around, though frankly I did not find him offensive the first time around. I actually kind of liked him. This time, much of the humor is left to Obi Wan and comic relief to C3PO. Both are handled well; especially a part where you get to see 3PO's "dark side".

The visuals are stunning- if you thought Episode I couldn't be beat, Lucas and friends have outdone themselves again. The new planets and characters are very fresh; reminds me a lot of Return of the Jedi. The film also takes you back to a few familiar places and things that remind you that this is Star Wars (a certain colored milk, anyone?).

Having said all that, the film does have its flaws. The first half has the story moving swiftly, but each scene feeling laborious. The dialogue is delivered, as in Episode I, with a certain bearing that is more common on the stage than in film. I do not think it is as much a problem of quality of dialogue or acting as it is of editing- the scenes move along a bit too quickly, telling you the story but not allowing it to sink in. As a sum, these swiftly moving scenes feel laborious.

But all of this is done away with as soon as the intrigue of the political and military maneouvres sets in. This film is unique in the Star Wars saga to have a definite sense of suspense about the heroes' choices and the villains motives.

Finally, the greatest complement I can bestow upon Attack of the Clones is that the last scene makes you want your Episode III now!

Enjoy!
    DevanJedi

<as posted previously on http://www.galaxyfaraway.com>
  15. Darth Happy Jedi Master

star 4
    Attack of the Clones
    Reviewed by Darth Happy

Though I'd place Attack of the Clones (AOTC) as number 3 on my list of favorite SW films, I felt disappointed with the movie. Though I'd place TPM as last on that same list, I actually had defended it at the time. Here's the difference:

AOTC's place in the saga is much more important than TPM. If TPM is just an overture to the saga, then AOTC is the first movement.

And for that, I felt disappointed with how the essential keystones of the saga were set up.

Granted, George Lucas had to cover a lot of ground in the second episode including setting up the romance between Anakin and Padme, establishing Palpatine's absolute power (to later issue the martial law edict for the Empire), and starting Anie's fall to the dark side - among many other things. And it seems the one term to describe how he did it is 'ham-handedly'.

Let's start with the romance. Basically, it's schizophrenic. In other words, it has all the makings of seventh grade puppy-love. First, Padme starts like she's not interested. A Stop. Then Anie escorts her back to Naboo, and they talk about a few issues. She's a little more relaxed. Then they actually kiss within a short time after arriving on Naboo! A Go. Then they both claim it was a mistake. A Stop. Then they hang out, roll around in the grass (a bit suggestive), and otherwise have a great romantic date. A Go. Anie's reveals his whole heart, and then she.. says it would be a lie. A Stop. At the arena, on the death cart before being rolled out to die, she says, "I love you.. deeply." A Go. Back and forth and forth and back. Lucas's brand of subtlety. Schizophrenic. Ham-handed.

Now let's take Anakin's fall to the dark side. Shmi's death (and Anakin's start to the dark side) seems to have been executed as an incidental passage in the movie. Anakin is first presented in AOTC as brash and all about Padme. Then when it comes close to the death scene, Anakin is all of sudden very worried about Shmi. The mother 'angle' is one I believe Lucas should have made more prominent. Why? Because her death is key to Anakin's breaking point - the start of the fall of Anakin's soul! This is very important to the saga! Anakin's paranoia, fears, and sanity should hinge on thoughts and visions of Shmi. The mother 'angle' is one that should have been a continuing thread from begining to end. Even Yoda feels Anakin's surge of dark side feelings across the galaxy! You even hear Qui-Gon's voice! Yet the death is given a minor plot status. It was as if Lucas executed the death and anguish passages perfunctorily and antiseptically. I say 'ham-handedly'.

The other elements of the film just seem standard at best. Yoda keeps saying the same grim warnings, Threepio is irritating and a comic relief, another solid bad guy is 'off-ed' in the same movie as he is introduced, and virtually no introduction to the main bad guy, Dooku. The dialogue is not as clunky as that of TPM - but clunky nonetheless (that's alright actually; it's the 'standard' for SW corniness; not winceful, just SW corny).

AOTC succeeds in being every fanboy's dream of battles, effects, and 'kewl' shots. That's why this fanboy gives it third place in the saga. But I wish that Lucas had paid more attention to the very important events that AOTC had to set for the saga.

-Darth Happy
  16. kroblanx Jedi Padawan

Yesterday shall be a day long remembered by Philippine Star Wars fans for years to come. Star Wars Episode II opened to highly enthusiastic praise from moviegoers here yesterday 16 May 2002.

Despite reports of the availability of pirated AOTC DVDs in the region, fans proceeded to watch the midnight screenings and the regular day run in droves, braving the long lines in assorted Star Wars garb.

After having read mixed reviews of AOTC over the past week, I was somewhat skeptical of the film at first and did not expect much from this latest release. But that was before I took my seat. The opening scene wherein an assassination attempt on Padme Amidala caught moviegoers by surprise was a loud statement from the film's producers that The Phantom Menace was clearly a thing of the past and the Star Wars saga was back on track.

I must agree that the romantic dialog between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman was weak and I could not blame the actors for their scenes going down as somewhat artificial and unconvincing. I felt that the film was trying a little too much to reach out to the female 14-and-under market the way The Titanic did to its great success. However, let me assure Star Wars fans everywhere that AOTC is a tour-de-force in spite of its romantic scenes. The storyline/plot is just so HUGE and with so many things happening all at the same time, you get the feeling that the romantic scenes are just a small albeit significant gust in the whirlwind of events that is the AOTC.

During the final scenes, a chill went up my spine as we hear the first strains of the Imperial March played amidst the marshalling of troops in preparation for the war that is to come. A heavy gloom fell over the saga that was so palpable and engaging that the audience would share the helplessness of the Jedi at the storm that swirls around them. I found it ironic that what the critics saw as AOTC's weakness, the romance, would turn out to be the saving grace for a film that would have ended in gloom had the audience not draw a glimmer of hope from the secret wedding between Anakin and Padme taken straight from Romeo and Juliet. A nice touch.

Now comes the million-dollar question: how does AOTC stack up against the other Star Wars films? Let me put it this way: I don't know which is better -- ESB or AOTC. Honestly. I would have to watch AOTC a few more times before I can reliably compare the two (gosh knows how many times I've seen ESB). However, this I can say: while AOTC could stand on its own (we can predict *most* of what will happen in Episode III right?), ESB was the real cliff-hanger. So on the basis of fulfillment and an overall sense of "completion" alone, ESB viewers would have to wait for ROTJ. While ESB throws questions that will be answered by ROTJ, AOTC gives answers/reasons that I assume will be thrown in Episode III. ESB and AOTC seem like opposites to me in this regard, mirror images so to speak. It's a hard call.

Go out and watch AOTC on a widescreen near you; the bootlegged version won't do justice to the epic battle scene, believe me.

AOTC is a triumphant return of the jedi George Lucas. The Force is strong with this one.

GABRIEL BLANCO
    Manila, Philippines

17. DarthGrayden Jedi Padawan

One more thing to add to the Visual/Sound section......Jango Fett's Sonic charges in the asteroid field........nuff said
  18. Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling

star 5
    It was better than Titanic.

*Where's my dvd?*
  19. darthpigskin Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow, wow, wow! What else to say? I've been waiting for one like this for a long time... a long time.

Let's cut to the stuff...

Hayden is an incredible Anakin. His subtle fascial expressions (especially pointed towards Padme) were incredible. They way he portrayed his inner struggle with hate, fear, and obsession were incredible. It was so great to see him as an incredibly talented, yet unstable kid. And the inside look we got of his "darkness" was incredible!

Natalie is a fantastic actor. She acted in this film, even more like one would imagine Leah's mother to be like. Her expressions, and confidence. wow.

I was pleased also, with the special effects. (Which part of the movie, WASN'T a special effect?) But there were times when I actually asked myself, "Is that CG or is that real?"

I personally felt that the clones were a highlight of the film. They were so good in battle and precise. Just the image of Thousand upon thousands of troopers sent sweet little tingles up my spine.

What was missing? Not much. The Threepio head thing was a little much, yet I enjoyed the R2/3PO humor. Just like the OT! Way to go.

Thank you George!!! Three years more... seems like it's so far away. Guess, we'll just have to spend our time mulling over this one for a while.

I give it a score of
    8 out of 10.
  20. kclementson Jedi Padawan

Attack of the Clones was amazing! I liked the Phantom Menace mostly because it is part of the story of the Star Wars universe, but I loved Attack of the Clones. I grew up with the original trilogy so it is almost a sureal experience seeing new episodes for the first time. It is wonderful!! Thanks George!

I walked out of Phantom saying "yeah it was good, right?" I walked out of the theater last night speechless. Things are taking off in this trilogy. I need to see it again soon and again and again.... I saw Phantom 7 times in the theater in order to get my fill of Star Wars in the theater. The sky is the limit for this one.

Yoda walking in to fight Dooku gave me the chills. I loved Yodas presence throughout. Everything looked and sounded spectacular. The depth charges that Jango fired at Obi-wan sounded brilliant. Unlike anything I've ever seen from Star Wars or anyting else.

I give it a 10.

21. Lekku Jedi Padawan

First of all, I just got out of the theater a few hours ago, and WOW! Didn't have to wait in line, and got the best seats in the house! Enough rubbing it in- on with the review.

I think this is, technically and visually, the best STAR WARS ever. George Lucas really opened the creative floodgates on this one. Whereas E1 left me ever-so-slightly dissapointed, E2 BLEW ME AWAY!

While every now and then, I could tell a croma key shot (shot on Green-screen) from a location shot, I was so impressed with the art design, that I didn't care. With a variation of locales, technology, and species, this was liek a STAR WARS scrapbook. There were SO MANY extras, I found myself asking, "Why wasn't I in there - there were enough extras!" But it ALL looked GREAT! Coruscant was POPULATED with MILLIONS of characters, vehicles, droids, etc. Great new droid and vehicle designs (like the Naboo Senator's Transport)! The AWESOME battle at the end! How many times will we have to watch it to see and absorb EVERY little nuance?!?!?!

The graphics were spectacular, but the storyline was just as wonderful. The great new and old characters from the whole STAR WARS spectrum, and the foreshadowing of things to come in E4, 5, and 6. The SPECTACULAR fight scenes, where Yoda surpased my high expectations, and for the first time, lightsabres cast colored glows on their respective weilders. This might seem like a small thing, but it was one of the little things that made the duels a lot better.

And of course, the mushy stuff. Anakin and Padme's blossoming romance was reminiscent of that of Han and Leia. The whole time, we were teased with their inhibited love for each other. Not to mention that Natalie Portman could not BE any hotter! And Shmi's death really brings out the dark side in Anakin. While I'll admit that her rescue and death didn't have all the substance I would've liked, it got the point across. I also would've liked to see a little more of Anakin's raging attack on the sand people. All in all, though, it really got the emotions across.

With arguably some of the best characters, special effects, romances, battle scenes, and storylines of ANY movie, all rolled into ONE (not to mention Yoda kickin' some serious Sith butt), STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES earnes a 9 out of 10.

If E2 improved over E1 THIS much in 3 years, E3 is bound to be STAR WARS nirvana!

May the Force be with us all.
  22. darth daedelus Jedi Master

star 1
    AOTC is the most intense movie experience I've ever had. I was in a big theatre and in a complete daze, shuffling along with several hundred other people, almost all male, I felt a bit like one of the clonetroopers for some reason. I really enjoyed the film. Yes, the acting was variable and the dialogue clunky, but that's true of all SW films. The action was engrossing, a real arc is beginning to develop and I really, really want to know what happens next.

I really liked Hayden as Anakin. I didn't expect to - but I could see both Annie and Vader in his performance. He is impetuous, unstable, possessive, he doesn't believe in democracy and he is obsessed with Padme. His long cloak and earnest strides are proto-Vader, and his confession to Padme about the Tuskens was moving and scary. There is a lot to unpack about this performance and its place in the saga.

I liked Obi-Wan too: Ewan is having some fun with the part at last.

The visuals were stunning. Coruscant is beautifully realised. Yoda is a very impressive CGI character and his final duel with Dooku is handled well. The war scenes at the end had grit, atmosphere and desperation.

The fight between Dooku and Anakin. Although short, it brought another angle on lightsabre fights. I loved the drums which scored it, and the impressionistic shots of blue and red mixed with their faces ... very cool.

I really liked the score, especially the dark chords which scored the wedding scene. That was no happy ending, it was full of forboding.

Didn't like:

Padme. The outfits are nice, but this character does not add up. Somehow Lucas wants her to be both unimpeachably good and yet seduced by Anakin. I didn't buy it. I can see why Anakin loves her, but not the other way round. Han and Leia were played better in this respect. Some bits were ridiculous - especially Padme's 'Annie, we can never be together. Okay, I've turned the lights off and put on my dominatrix outfit but I don't fancy you. Honest.' Portman was able to convey a real sense of horror and disgust when Anakin told ehr about the Tuskens - but why then does she marry him? Doesn't add up.

The bed scene. A real howler. Everyone laughed, and apparently GL is put out by this, which shows poor judgement. He should have known better, following Padme's 'miss whiplash' scene with a shot of Hayden in bed moaning ... hmmmm.

The Arena. I was a bit disappointed with this, sorry. I thought the Jedi were a bit wooden. Things got better when the clone troopers arrived.

Shmi's death: should have been the emotional centre of the film, but misfires on several fronts. Shmi is awful, one of the worst death scenes ever.

A good film, much better paced than TPM. Roll on episode 3. I give it 7/10

23. Admiral12 Jedi Knight

I'm writing this just a few hours after seeing AOTC for the first time. I have to see it again this weekend to see if my initial impressions change.

I really wanted to like this movie more than I did. I think it's an excellent SW movie, certainly better than TPM, but not up to the level of ESB. And I think that's the problem with fan expectations. We want to see another ESB, with all the conflicts and emotions of those characters, but we're not going to get it.

There were a few scenes where bad directing just killed the moment. Shmi's death drew laughs instead of sadness. Padme just gets up from the sand when we're supposed to think she could be mortally injured. I think that the romance between Anakin and Padme felt forced in a few places. When Anakin is trying to tell Padme how he feels, instead he goes on about how he's dying inside or how he's burning up. I liked the scene where he breaks down telling her how he slaughtered the Tusken raiders, but it's the kind of story that would push most normal women away. Maybe Padme has her reasons for falling in love with him, to protect him or save him, but we don't see that on screen. When she finally tells him she loves him, I just didn't believe it. I don't think we saw enough of the true romance between these two to believe that she really cared about him that way.

If you like plot, this movie has loads of it. So many plot points to follow, and to be tied up in Ep III. I was able to follow everything that was going on, and I enjoyed seeing the intrigue and political machinations, but it's a lot to take in.

I think we got a good sense of what's motivating Anakin and influencing his ultimate turn to the dark side. However, I would have liked a little more temptation from Dooku during their fight. Maybe something along the lines of "if Obi-Wan won't join me, perhaps you will?" It might have made for too overt a reference to ESB, but considering how many other scenes reflected that movie, what could it have hurt? At least it would have given Anakin something more to think about.

I'm of two minds about the acting performances. On one hand, there's little emotion in anyone's readings, even in Anakin and Padme's love scenes. I didn't ever get the feeling that anyone cared about what was happening to the Republic or themselves. While this could be bad direction (see above), I think I read somewhere that it's a particular style that GL is going for, a 1930s serial acting style. However, it could also be an excuse for bad directing. I love GL for everything he's done in creating this universe, but I wonder what another director could have done with this story and these actors.

Now, the good points. The special effects are absolutely amazing, unlike anything I've seen before. As others have noted, the last 45 minutes makes up for a lot of what has gone before. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing in the Geonosian arena, when all the Jedi are taking on the droid army. The land battle between the Republic and Confederacy was exciting. I kept thinking, "I can't wait to go home and try some of this in Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns" (end marketing plug). The lightsaber battle at the end was good, but went off the charts when Yoda and Dooku fought. I could have watched another 10 minutes of that. I wish I hadn't known it was coming. (That'll teach me to read reviews ahead of time.)

My friend who saw the movie with me made what I think is a really valid point about sequels vs. prequels: in a sequel, anything that happens can't be refuted because it's an extension of the story that preceded it. But in a prequel, you're constrained by the limits you've created in your original material. You've got to create your story so that it fits in with what the audience already knows. I think GL has a great story to tell, but he's writing himself into a corner trying to bring in all the plot points to fill out the backstory he set up in the original trilogy. I'm certainly interested to see how he works all this out in Ep III.

O
  24. Master_Hammett Jedi Padawan

Pretty good, but I'll see it again...

It was a little dry. I didn't care as much for the characters as I hoped I would. Is Lucas still really rusty or am I just getting too old for this stuff? (31)

I'm not sure. I love Lucas and his ideas, I just think he is too close to the center of it all. I think he is taking too much on his own shoulders. He should collaborate, and delagate. He should hire a blockbuster director and a great screenwriter for the final film, Episode 3.

There is still so much I want to see with the Jedi before the Star Wars Saga is concluded.

How powerful can they be?
    What all can they do?
    Darth Vader was supposed to be the badest dude in the galaxy, but all he did was choke a few people in the original trilogy.
    Are we going to get to see Vader use the force more spectacularly than Dooku, Palpatine, Maul and others?
    Probably not,
    I read he will not be Vader until the end of Ep 3.

To me that is a huge waste of a potentially fantastic bad guy. Some of the best movies have a great juicy bad guy. I fear Vader will never get that chance.

What is unfortunate for Lucas is that he has created this universe that is not only "far, far away," but it is also in the minds of many fans all the time. We have this story living in our minds. We explore all the areas that we want to explore. In our minds we get to see all the stuff that will never make it on screen, and I think we end up making it harder for Lucas to live up to our own imaginations.

I have Star Wars thoughts in my mind that are so amazing, I am probably setting my self up for disappointment.
  25. HolySith Jedi Padawan

HI there SWFans...I hope everyone enjoyed Attack of the Clones as much as I did :). As for my review of the film...I give it a Perfect 10...yes you are seeing things correctly I do think it is a great Star Wars movie. The movie from begging to end was filled with new things and taking us to places where we never been before and making me feel like I've never felt before I'm convinced you to had the same feelings. The seens particularly with Anakin and Obi-Wan where Ani looked like a defyant person and wanted to do things his way sometimes..I saw a Jedi Padawan Talk back to his Master and at the sametime the people around them look rather shocked...I was shocked!. The Tusken Raider Massacre! "Oh my Sithlord" was that shocking and disturbing to see...It made me feel how the DARKSIDE can make jedi do such serial killer type antics and feelings. Seeing the first ones die and then Ani reaveling he killed them all! , this is truely how I was feeling people believe me...but I mean almost everyone would do the same thing if thier mother was savagely beaten and left for dead.

Next, the Steal of the show, Darth TYRANNUS are you sure ANAKIN becomes DARTH VADER? lol... This man is equal to or far more evil than Darth Vader. I mean Christopher Lee did a great job with Tyrannus. Can't forget the little green alien we all love...whew..this Jedi Master Showed and proved to you all that is why they all call him..."MASTER"!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.