main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Contingency Orders for the Grand Army of the Republic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    These were introduced in Karen Traviss' works, but I don't other EU confirm it much and so called "Security Council" or "Chief of Defense Staff". It also caused a little conflict with the TCW series.

I think it would be too weird if more government officials knew these orders, and I don't see a reason for Palpatine to install something like "Order 65", which was against him.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So the Jedi don't get suspicious.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Contingency Orders for the Grand Army of the Republic are perhaps one of the most underdeveloped concepts in the PT. Unfortunately, Karen Traviss seems to have been the only one who ever really bothered to do anything with the Contingency Orders, at least until TCW decided to start dealing with Order 66.

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Does every post if yours have to bash TCW in some way? We get it: you don't like the show. I'm starting to know what you're going to say before I read it, I swear.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    There was one to take down Vader if he did something Palpatine didn't like.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually I think TCW's explanation of Order 66 makes much more sense than Karen Traviss' stuff.

Do they even know it? If they do they totally should have contacted the "Security Council" to establish Order 65.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't read Traviss' stuff but TCW' explanation can die in a fire.

As far as Order 65, my understanding just from the Wook article that I looked at last time I researched this topic, is that the Republic Security Council could put it into effect in the event that the Chancellor was deemed incompetent.

Palpatine obviously would not have it used on himself, but if for some reason he lost an election, he could use his influence to get the Security Council to use it on the new Chancellor.

As it was, he ensured that he was so popular with the Senate that they would never use it on him.

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Because if someone accused him of using the orders to his own advantage, he could point to order 65 and say that everything was fair.

Besides, Order 65 is a lot harder to implement than Order 66, so it was unlikely to be used and it would have been easy for him to stall and counter attack if someone did try it.

Jedi Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Or if they don't know Order 66 at all, Palpatine wouldn't need to worry about how they think about the order.

Why would he need the Clones to do the job? He is a Sith Lord with powerful apprentices as assassins.

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    As TCW showed, there...irregularities that needed to be explained away, and the contingency orders served that role well.

Cause they are outnumbered several thousand times over by the jedi alone, much less the rest of the Republic's militia forces.

The Sith have tried this route many, many times before, and it never works out.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I mean Order 65, not 66.

Also in RotS we could see, all Palpatine had to do is using a special channel to give the order, with no evidence or permission needed.

12. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    And what's even weirder is that he was using Separatist encryption, per Evasive Action.

13. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    What in the world was Ens thinking?

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  14. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    He was probably thinking of this: http://web.archive.org/web/20130728112725/http://www.holonetnews.com/52/news/13418_3.html

You'd think the Jedi would've taken some interest in this given that it actually made the HoloNet. Perhaps the Chancellor's office purposely didn't cover it up and just let it get lost in the news cycle...

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    OMG VYN NARCASSAN.

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    I don't get the point of this thread? The contingency orders make perfect sense. Why would you have an "order 66" without at least 65 other "orders"? And of course you would have one in case the supreme chancellor became a threat just as you would have one for the jedi. It would be weird if there wasn't one.

Imagine: "oh here is the contingency orders for the clones and there's only one, Order 1: kill all the jedi" . . . that's not suspicious at all.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    :confused: What do you mean?

18. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vyn_Narcassan

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aha, gracias

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    To prevent others from hijacking into the channel then easily figuring out the order number and use it in the wrong time?

"Hi, let me guess, order 1..."

21. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Why would you have a 'Catch 22' without 21 other catches? A codename could just be a codename: it doesn't have to be in numerical sequence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.