main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Continue the Story"....How bout it?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediMindTrick000, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    Okay, I'm the newest member of The Gentleman's Writing Guild, and a relative unknown around these parts, but I think I got me a good idea. Back on the boards I used to post on (the now dead wizardworld), we used to have "Continue the Story" threads, where one guy would start a story, and anybody and everybody added onto the story after that. Although hella fun, I think it would also improve writers' skills by showing them how other writers portray the same characters and plotline. Wadda ya think?

By the way, if someone's already had this genius idea, feel free to shut me up now before I continue to make a fool of myself. :cool:

2. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    You mean like a round robin? We have a few of those here... not many.

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Those types of stories used to be more common with the Gonks, HoJos, and Talon Intelligence Squad regularly having stories going (plus one more writing group that escapes me at the moment that I'm sure somebody will remind me of).

Ah, the old days. ;)

4. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Oh, I took part in a few of those way-back-when. They're a lot of fun because you really get caught off your guard sometimes. Most round-robins nowadays are preplanned. It would be nice to see one of the old kind again.

5. JediMindTrick000

Dec 14, 2004
    See, told you I was a genius. :cool:

But call'em "Continue the Story", cuz well...sounds more manly than round robin. =)

6. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    *raises eyebrow* LOL.

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I participated in 2 round-robins that are currently ongoing and unplanned. Dying in the Light in the Before Board and As the Furniture Flies in Saga Board. I don't know of any others and I don't go into Beyond so I can't say about that board. However, most RRs are planned in the Resource board before they start.

You could start one but just remember that they may take odd (and interesting) turns when you open them up to other writers. But they can be quite a lot of fun....

8. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I wrote in one that went quite well, actually, back when I was Lizzie_Kenobi. Round robins used to be the trend; there were four or five on the board (back when there was only one) at all times. I started one called "He's My Son" that was a lot of fun.

9. JediMindTrick000

Dec 14, 2004
    *ahem* Not that I'm concerned with my masculinity or anything. I'm a married man, jack! :cool:

Good thing is, when one story pretty much dies out, all you gotta do is start another one. So that being said, y'all wanna try one out? We usually just kept each segment to a few paragraphs, that way you can post it quickly without worrying about someone else posting at the same time. Or just "call the ball," and start writing. Mood changes are always welcome.

------------------------------

Go to The Saga Board! It's there, just waited for you! Taunting you almost! Go! Write, write!

10. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I was a HoJo! ;) Hey, Hermie, me thinks you're thinking of the USJS. ;)

You know, and then stories are kind of like this, only and then stories have to end with "and then", those are fun too. ;)

11. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, someone should start one in one of the story boards, then. I'll be looking out for one, and maybe post tomorrow.

12. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Hey, Hermie, me thinks you're thinking of the USJS

Yes! That's the group I blanked on. Thanks Luney dear. :)

Oh, and this isn't the forum for stories of any kind.

13. JediMindTrick000

Dec 14, 2004
    But of course. The story can be found on the Saga board, my dear friends. =)

14. jmenk421

jmenk421 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2004
    Ask, and ye shall receive!

15. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Um, putting the link or at least the title here might be helpful! :)

16. JediMindTrick000

Dec 14, 2004
    i guess i gotta do *everything*! :D

http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/18036220/?5

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ah, the old days.-- How well I remember the old days too. Being so excited to write and playing in Jemmiah's numerous RR's. *sigh* I so miss those days.

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I got to write one of the Jemmiah&co roundrobins after being an admirer for a very long time.

I've done Strands of Time: Test of Time and Strands of Time: Choice of Fate as round-robins.

And, like diane, I'm making people horrified with Dying of the Light. It was a good story and then I got creative.

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, and for the record, I'd go on Continue the Story, but the story is getting a bit racy for me.

20. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    JediMindTrick000, I've been working on an outline for exactly what you're interested in. It will be about a squad of Republic Commandos based on the upcoming XBox game, "Republic Commando" and the companion novel by Karen Traviss, "Hard Contact".

PM me if your interested in participating, or check out the GWG thread and scroll back a few pages for the entire premise.

Laterz.

21. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Oh, and for the record, I'd go on Continue the Story, but the story is getting a bit racy for me.

Hopefully the people doing the writing will keep the forum rules in mind when describing Han's 'reward.'

22. JediMindTrick000

Dec 14, 2004
    exactly...the reward has definitely got to be something very creative in order to keep a good plotline goin...

23. Geith_Jiseo

Geith_Jiseo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 26, 2004

Hopefully the people doing the writing will keep the forum rules in mind when describing Han's 'reward.'

I noticed the raciness of it, and some of that was my fault. So, I've fixed it accordingly. The main plot of the story is now underway. :D

Great idea for a story, btw, JediMindTrick000! I love writing Round Robins.

24. JediMindTrick000

Dec 14, 2004
    Thanks, Geith! And I'm very glad you contributed - looks great!

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks for diverting it away from the steamy stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.