main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity blip.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Terranix, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    Now, this is probably a point raised elsewhere, & can probably be explained away with ease by the likes of Ghengis, Val or Mas, but it's the only major cpontinuity blip to have occured to me that I can't explain to myself.

~~~~~~~
    In the Thrawn trilogy, Captain Pellaeon has served for 50 years in Imperial service, but according to the timeline the Empire hadn't even EXISTED that long.
    ~~~~~~~

So, ladies & gents, who wants to claim the No-prize?

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Well, since the Empire is basically the Republic, but with a different name, he could have served in the Republic Navy for 30 years before it became the Empire. Only problem with that is the Republic didn't have a Navy, or Army ....

oops

wk

3. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    Yeah, but I'm fairly sure that it was said that he graduated/joined/whatever the Imperial Academy at an early age. 16, I think, but that's besides the point.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The book was written before it was know the Empire hadn't been around for that long. He'd been in the service for fifty years, so he was either part of his home fleet or of some kind of Republic reserve fleet and just continued on with the Empire when it took over.

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    He could have served with the coruscant guard or another planetary militia.

6. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    He most likely served in a local sector army before the Empire envelpoed everything.

7. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    How about this:

A year is a unit of time based on the amount of time required for one orbit of the Earth around the Sun.

Pellaeon's 50 years are based on his home planet's years, which has a faster orbit around its star than the standard GFFA year.

8. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Also a great fix.

One that officially fixed the noghri dating foofaws.

Or can be used to explain why luke and leia don't celebrate the same birthday, and why they origiinally thought they were at different ages. (tatooine time vs coruscant or alderaanian time.)

Plus several other dating hoohaws in the books

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I personally like the idea of him serving in the Republic Navy for thirty or so years. True, the Republic isn't suppose to HAVE a navy, but I believe The Rebellion Era Sourcebook and the Stark Hyperspace War comic have fixes for that.

TC

10. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Just another question about this. When did Bail Organa point out to Leia when she on Coruscant that Pallaeon was an up and coming officer in the Imperial Navy. I think it would be at best 2 yrs before Ep IV and so between 2 years before Ep 4 and Thrawn Trilogy there are only about 10 years and that leaves 40 years to have been served before he was an up and coming officer in the Imperial navy. Boy that is a long time even in GFFA standards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.