main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity Blooper - TPM/Gunray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kast_Morben, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Having re-watched the start of The Phantom Menace, Rune Haako asks Nute Gunray whether he has ever encountered a Jedi before, to which Gunray replies -

"Well ... no"

But how is Gunray forgetting the four (or so) Jedi that stood right in front of him during the conference in the Stark Hyperspace War? One of which was Qui-Gon Jinn - the very Jedi on board his ship!

How are we to explain this one? The only reason I could have thought of was that Gunray was lying to Haako about his previous experience - but what reason could there be for this?

Hmmmm ... meditate on this one, I will.

2. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    The movie was made before TCD. So it's Luceno's over-sight. Still an amazing book none the less..

3. Kast_Morben

Aug 18, 2001
    I'm not referring to The Cestus Deception - I'm talking about the ongoing comic 'The Stark Hyperspace War'.

I know that the comic was written after the movie, but the events take place before the movie ands has created a continuity mistake.

I wanted to know people's suggestions for fixing this error.

4. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    IIRC, one of the last pegaes reads "...after that incident, Gunray denied having met Jedi before.". I also seem to recall Ostrander mentioning it was added to fix that mistake.

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    As the last page of Stark Hyperspace Conflict says, Gunray continued to deny he had ever seen Jedi in action.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that last bit about him denying ever seen one makes his line in TPM pretty hilarious now, actually ::)

7. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Well, it does sound like he's trying to hide something. "Well, no, but..."[quick change of subject]"seal off the bridge!!"

8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Yes, Nute denies ever having observed Jedi in battle before according to the last page of Stark Hyperspace War.

In the words of homer simpson everything is wrapped up in a neat little package.

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000

The movie was made before TCD. So it's Luceno's over-sight. Still an amazing book none the less..[hr][/blockquote][/b]

[b][blockquote][hr]I'm not referring to The Cestus Deception - I'm talking about the ongoing comic 'The Stark Hyperspace War'.[hr][/blockquote][/b]
    Appears he probably meant:

[blockquote]"TCD" = "[i][The] Cloak of Deception[/i]" [[i]sic[/i]][/blockquote]

10. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Haha, this makes that line in The Phantom Menace indeed absolutely brilliant, especially how he seems to want to avoid the subject. [face_laugh]

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Gunray's behavior in the Stark Hyperspace War comics also explains Qui-Gon's quick dismissal of "Trade Federation types" as "cowards" during the opening scenes of TPM.

TC

12. Kast_Morben

Aug 18, 2001
    Thnaks everyone. That's sorted that one out. Although I find it a bit hard to understand why he would lie to Haako. Surely he'e be better off telling him how dangerous Jedi can be and to be extra careful.

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Shadow Hunter makes it clear the trio may be the upper echelons of the Trafed, but they don't necessarily trust each other. Gunray mused about Haako's loyalty as much as the openly traitorous Monchar.

14. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Right on the nose, Excellence.

TC

15. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Haako's question seems to imply he has had past Jedi encounters. Intriguing?

16. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    See the Episode I Adventures stories. I think the visual dictionary also states that he *has* actually had encounters with the Jedi before.

TC

17. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I believe one of the WOTC sourcebooks also alludes to Haako's Jedi encounters; prior to even The Stark Hyperspace War, and what-have-you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.