main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity Can Be a Bad Thing

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Binary_Sunset, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I totally, utterly, without a doubt sincerly disagree with you without remorse!

Continuity is one of THE best aspects of the Star Wars Universe...

I completely agree with your disagreement! I would absolutely hate it if there were just a bunch of AU stories. They would all end up being random post-ROTJ stories that would serve no purpose. Frankly, I wouldn't care about the story at since I would know that there will always be another story that occurs at the same time as an alternative.

The continuity is indeed the best part of the Star Wars EU and I believe that it actually drives story creation rather than restricting it.

2. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    with all AU stories it would be crap...

no story line would get very far just tonnes of stories 5ABY

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I agree, Marvels screws everything up enough.

Sorry Genghis, I had to say it.

4. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "I agree, Marvels screws everything up enough."

A) How?
    B) Have you read them?

5. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes, chissdude. I never read them - and I sure will when they are reprinted - but I totally agree with Genghis, Val, Mav and likes. If something screwed something, it's what came after, not what was already there.

6. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    i have never read the marvel comics so i don't know them or trust them to a degree,i would have to read them first before i make a judgment as chissdude10 has.

7. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    I am attracted to the EU because of the continuity. It's like watching your favorite TV show. Each episode builds on the ones preceding it. Sure, not everything always fits perfectly, but I don't need it to.

Keep the continuity coming!!

8. Elite_Guard

Oct 7, 2001
    The continuity is so good its as if everything is pre-orchestrated backwards , which it probably is

9. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Yes actually Ive read some, The events really are screwed into the years after RoTJ.

10. Elite_Guard

Oct 7, 2001
    id buy the stories the comics have if they were in novel form. but i dont like buying comics.

11. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "Yes actually Ive read some, The events really are screwed into the years after RoTJ."

The post-ROTJ stories only span a month...

12. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    And they cramed a bunch of crap into them,

The Nagai invasion was pathetically stupid, since no refrences have been made in novals.

13. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Interesting. Just out of curiosity why wasn't GoDV series in any of the earlier essential guide timelines? I mean they had Courtship, but they didn't have GoDV and it gave me the false impression that they were ignoring it."

You haven't read essential guide to characters have you? Read leia's biography, as well as most of the other heroes, as well as ken's and triclops biography in the book. They all have godv refrences. You can find godv refrences in a guide to star wars universe as well(both versions). Plus several more.

"But why did Bantam allow Wolverton to do this? What they did pretty much screwed over continuity that resulted in the Davids getting a portion of their book contradicted. They should just have declared one of them AU."

Who knows, and who knows why LFL missed important continuity and allowing flaws in other authors works to exist. They just were human and not perfect.

"I know that, but I doubt they wanted their stories to be contradicted"

Like I said most say they don't care, it was only zahn that has had hissy fits from time to time about people traipsing on his ideas.

14. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "The Nagai invasion was pathetically stupid, since no refrences have been made in novals."

The "novals" are to blame for not recognizing continuity that was already there. Beyond that, it has been referenced in tons of other material besides the novels.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    People who forget to link(and/or ignore) previously established continuity are to blame.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>No offense, but wouldn't it just cheapen the story? I mean the whole thing was nobody thought the girl was going to be one going over to the dark side and so her fall kinda makes it even more tragic.<<

We, since it's been already said that Bane's apprentice was male previously, I kinda always figured it adds to the tragic element of the story- Rain will die one day soon after, either already corrupted by the darkside or still haunted by that flying psychic fuzzy green thing's prophecy that she will become a sith. Perhaps her fears and caution about that prediction is what leads her to act in error, resulting in her death.

As for continuity- it's what makes the EU a legitimate part of Star Wars, as well as making it infinitely more appealing and epic...always evolving.

Besides, the psycho-militant-purists always rant and jump over the whole EU because of it's "inconsistancies"...no need to fuel the fire by producing AU material.

17. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Mavrick sums up my exact feelings

I think continuity is VERY important. It's one of the things that draws me back to Star Wars.

Continuity is what "binds the universe together". Without continuity, certain stories would have no relevence, and certain characters wouldn't grow. Things would fall into a kind of Star Trek trap, where everything would become episodic, with the characters and situations being exactly as they were before the beginning of the book.

Concerning Marvel...

Yes actually Ive read some, The events really are screwed into the years after RoTJ.

There's only two trouble issues. "Hoth Stuff" and "Jawas of Doom". These don't fit too well with Galaxy Guide 3 : The Empire Strikes Back, the ESB radio drama and The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy. All other issues are 100% within the continuity with no problems whatsoever. And yes, I own them all ( except one. )

As for Movie Purists wanting the EU to become AU...if you don't read the stories, or hate the ones you do read, why does it matter? Surely it's not ruining your personal thoughts about the movie characters and your enjoyment of the films?

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yet jawas of doom is listed in boba fett's chronology on the official site. There is a way to have it fit in that doesn't really cause problems though and fixes element of the dark empire sourcebook(that doesn't really fit into BHW events).

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm strongly against this. Continuity is one of my favorite things about the SW EU, and it's what sets it apart from other, similar franchises. I *like* that everything fits, it's more fun that way for me.

Now, authors can be overbearing when they try TOO hard to make references to other works, giving us an overdose of continuity. For example, in the X-Wing books and short stories, they're forever saying "Ha! You'd have more luck trying to find the Kanata Fleet!" I mean, it's funny the first time, but it gets a bit old by the fourth book. :)

TC

20. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    Continuity is a great thing, though having some more "Infinties" products wouldn't be a bad things.

However: GODV must DIE!!!!!!! Goddamn, why won't people just realsie how bad, stupid and idiotic it is and just admit that it isn't continuity. Why doesn't KJA and the rest abandon trying to fit it in and just give up and say "this sux". Am I in denial. O hell yes!!!!!

Its like (and I'm only using this as an analogy, because I'm an atheist) there was a passage in the bible where god helps a bunny rabbit find his carrot, right in there between exodus and whatever the hell comes after after it (in the middle of that war).

adious amigos

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000

"However: GODV must DIE!!!!!!! Goddamn, why won't people just realsie how bad, stupid and idiotic it is and just admit that it isn't continuity. Why doesn't KJA and the rest abandon trying to fit it in and just give up and say "this sux". Am I in denial. O hell yes!!!!!"

Your oppinion is duely noted and ignored by LFL since they wrote the darn things. To them they are continuity.

22. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    I'm horribly loyal to LFL, but even they don't always bowl strikes. GODV is a gutter ball.

I'm trying to think of other science fiction where bad products have been shunned and forgotten (lets keep Trek out of this, eh?) but Star Wars has a unique "literary aspect" with the whole canon/non-canon thing that I fear what Star WArs does will in the decades to come set the standard for other series.

23. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Don't worry, the authors aren't exactly going out of their way to reference the Trioculous Saga. They just do so when there is a need, such as in the Dark Side Sourcebook. Aside from showing a Jedi hopeful and who Jabba the Hutt's father is, they really don't add much to the overall story arc of the characters.

I don't hate them like most fans. In fact, the suckiness is what makes them so good. Go to any page in the six books and you'll find a real winner of a quote. The Junior Jedi Knights books are just as bad at times.

If you're 10 or under, you'll probably enjoy the books. If you're over 12, don't bother, unless you're a EU completist freak like me and some others here.

24. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    And the most important aspect of continuity as I see it is propelling the story forward. We won't have every author writing about the immediate aftermath of RotJ. Eventually, too many AU's could get confusing if the body of work becomes too voluminous and you need a score card to keep track of all the different alternate universes that have come about.

Continuity propels the story forward, and that is a good thing. If a time-frame is already filled up, the authors just write about something beyond it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.