main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity error.....Mon Cals in Clone Wars Comic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    While I have not seen it myself, I heard that a squad of Mon Cal troops attack Kamino with the Seperatist forces. If true, this screws up the already established fact that the Mon Cals were discovered by the Empire. They were then enslaved until they liberated themselves and joined the Alliance. Does anyone who has read this comic have a good explanation. I understand that this is not the first error made in the EU, but I wonder if there is a perfectly good explanation. Any thoughts on this would be great.

2. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    There were Quarrens in Episode I and II, so it would seem that the Mon Cal planet had had contact with the galaxy before the Clone War

3. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Actually, their history was already re written a while ago. The story used to bethat the Mon Cals set outto explorethe Galaxy and forge peaceful relations withother civilizations. Instead they found the Empire.

Since the Republic is the Empire, it's probaly safe to say that the Mon Calamari is a recent addition tot he Empire. Perhaps it's only been a member of the REpublic for a hundred years or so. Whatever the case, they Mon Calamari didn't join the Old Republic soon enough to enjoy its glory days. It joined during the waning days of the OR. And eventually, the Old Republic turns into the Empire and enslaves the Mon Cals.

4. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Good points. History has been rewritten more than once before.

5. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    From the Official Site:

The Mon Calamari are shore-dwellers, land beings with an affinity for water. The Mon Calamari developed slowly, building an advanced technology around them. They contacted the Quarren, and after some confusion, developed a symbiotic relationship. The Quarren would provide the raw materials and metals while the Mon Calamari refined them into useful items of technology. Foremost among these items was the Mon Calamari's formidable fleet of exploration vessels. The Mon Cals (as the Quarren call them) began leaving their world to explore the islands in the stars.

When the Empire came to power, it began seizing property on the Mon Calamari homeworld, and the peaceful aquatic species countered with passive resistance. The Empire would stand no defiance, and used massive Star Destroyer weapons to destroy three floating Mon Calamari cities. The response was unexpected. The Mon Calamari took up tools as armaments, and what little weapons they had, and fought back. The Empire fled Mon Calamari, and after their short victory, the Mon Cals joined the Alliance to Restore the Republic. The Mon Calamari converted their beautiful exploration ships and space liners with weapon mounts and armor plating, turning them into the Mon Calamari star cruisers.

So, the Mon Cals discovered the Republic which soon (relatively) became the Empire. The Mon Cals get blamed for the Imperial occupation If they had never been so adventurous...

Well, Mon Calamari would never have been tained by the corruptionof the Republic and it would never have been conquered bythe Empire.

The rest of thier history remains the same.

6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Shock crosses my face.....

The Mon Cals fault, I sure hope you are joking. Not that I like Mon Cals or anything.....(Their on to me...):)

7. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Here's a likely possibility to chew on:
    Since there was a sizable contingent of Mon Calamari sided with the Confederacy during the Clone Wars, their enslavement was ordered by Palpatine as retribution for their opposition to his regime.

8. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    It's possible. Captain Merret(i think that was his name?) was probaly a martyr to the citizens of the CIS.

Nick, the Quarren blamed the Mon Calamari for the Imperial occupation. They thought that if the Mon Cal didn;'thave the spirit of exploration, theywouldn't be in their predicament. But like Bret said, they probaly also blamed the Cals because it was mostly Cals that joined the CIS and therefore incurred the Emperor's wrath against Mon Calamari.

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    It does look like an error. Then again, most species have been moving around for tens of thousands of years. You can't really expect a starfaring species like the Calamarians to really only discover the galaxy a "couple decades" ago.

It would be a blatant contradiction. After all, weren't the Star Cruisers starliners? Surely they didn't just cater to insystem sightseeing . . .

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Is there any non-RPG/reference source that tells of the Calamarian rebellion against the Empire?

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Not to my knowledge. I believe that a good synopis of Mon Cal history is near the Tech Commentaries: Warships of the Mon Calamari. What I know off the top of my head is that the Mon Cals rebelled, the Empire sank 3 floating cities, and then the Mon Cals won there freedom. It also says that Ackbar was a resistance leader, but he was captured and presented as a slave to Tarkin, so he never got to see his plan work. Of course, when the Rebels liberated him, he convinced his people to join the Alliance.

12. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    How does this fit with the empire being in power for nearly twenty years, when the rebel-alliance was founded?

13. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    I love how any EU writer thinks walking fish without any real weapons stood up to the 1000s of ISD fleet of the Empire, any one of which could reduce Calamari to slag in an hour.

14. snarf5181

snarf5181 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    I believe the JAT has some Ackbar backstory. And maybe the Mon Cal had neighboring systems or other in system planets that they traded with. Think about if earth had colonies on mars and venus and the moon or somesuch. We would probably have a fleet of starships too for moving around.

15. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The Mon Calamari have been in contact with the GFFA for several decades before the rise of the Empire. (See JA, which features a Jedi Calamarian named Bant.) It's likely that Mon Calamari voyaging out into the stars for the first time and meeting the Empire is Imperial propoganda, or a badly researched history.

TC

16. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    And we're going also going to meet a Mon Calamari character in Episode III, according to the Official Site...

17. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    When I read Republic #50 (that's where the Mon Cal first appear in the Clone Wars storyline), I though big continuity error. The WEG info about Mon Cals has been established EU material for about 15 years.

The same material states that whilst the Mon Cals were adventurous and outgoing, the Quarren were very secretive and kept to themselves.

In Ep I we see a Quarren senator. How can this be, if their homeworld was discovered in the era of the Empire? In Ep II we see more Quarren. Now in the Clone Wars stuff, we see Mon Cals siding with the Separatists whilst the Quarren represent their world in the Republic Senate. No Mon Cals in the senate as far as we know. So basically Lucas has decided to ignore the background material started in WEG stuff. This isn't WEG's fault. They had to get the OK for that material.

But I see this as a fix -

In the Republic era (Rise of the Empire time period), a Quarren senator represents the Mon Cal homeworld. Tikkes is in Ep I. The Mon Cals have a fleet.

In the Clone Wars, a group of Mon Cals (whether representing the wishes of their government, or rebelling against) are persuaded to join the Separatist attack on Kamino. That secret meeting is seen in Republic #50. There are also some Mon Cals in Jedi: Shaak Ti at a secret meeting between Quinlan Vos and the Separatists.

Anyways, the Separatist attack on Kamino fails and the Mon Cal military leader is killed. Humiliating for the mighty Mon Cal fleet.

At the end of the Clone Wars, the Mon Cal homeworld withdraws from the Republic and shuts its borders to all trade.

Palpatine declares himself Emperor and the the Empire begins. At some point during this time the Mon Cals decide to explore outside their borders again, whilst the Quarren have removed themselves from the galaxy as a whole. Maybe the Mon Cal homeworld was attacked during the Clone Wars and the Quarren decided enough was enough. This could also explain a little more the distrust between Quarren and Mon Cals.

The Mon Cals fleet come across the Empire and then the Empire raids the homeworld.

What do you reckon?

18. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    The way I see it is that since the Separatists are being tricked by the Sith and the Sith create the Empire....the Empire did help discover the Mon Calamari

19. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    tim b has a good theory..mon cals were a part of the larger galaxy then shut themselves off from it, until the empire opended the door again.

besides.. who is to say that the mon cals seen at kamino truly represented the mon cal people.. what if they were renegades who were cast off system or left on their own, and then later joined up with separatist cause. or possibly they were mon cals from a different planet -- ie many generations ago, some mon cals colonized some other world, and their descendents are the ones we see fighting at kamino.
    i'd have to check #50 again to see if there is any indication that these mon cals are working on behalf of the mon cal government.

20. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    The Mon Calamari are not unknown aliens to the galaxy at large they just achieved more notice around the time of the Clone Wars than they had before, but they were known before that in fact the Darth Maul comic clearly shows that there was a Mon Calamari Vigo in Black Sun named Vigo Morn that had based his headquarters on Mon Calamari itself some 32 and a half years before the Battle of Yavin before Darth Sidious ordered Lord Maul to destroy black sun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.