main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity in AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by PreadoriteVong, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Most Star Wars fans agree, that the movie can do as it pleases and throw away any EU non-sense. If you can't accept that fact, fine, but don't quote EU like it was the constitution.

2. BitterPower

BitterPower Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2002
    Then don't quote GL, RM, and any other LFL staffers as the voice of God Himself.

3. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    >> Then don't quote GL, RM, and any other LFL staffers as the voice of God Himself.

Huh, seeing as to how George Lucas is the creator and owner of "Star Wars" he is the voice of God as far as the "Star Wars" universe is concerned.

4. 0bi-Wan

0bi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 13, 2001
    BitterPower, Lucas is the 100% owner of Star Wars. He is the utter, and complete God of Star Wars.

The authority of any other person on this world, no matter what their involvement, is 0% compared to him.

He would just shrug even if Doug Chiang or Ben Burtt left.

He is the ultimate landowner of that Galaxy.

--O.W.

5. SIberioS

SIberioS Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2002
    Evidently no one read my reply. Who cares? Stop arguing about somthing that will never end.

6. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    siberious i agree with your post...

7. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Shelley:

Oh, by the way, Lucas has said that he intended Han to have been with women prior to the OT, but he hadn't been in love until he met Leia.

GlitterBug:

Post proof or retract.

Here's your proof, GlitterBug. As it turns out, Lucas said Leia was the first woman Han has serious feelings for. Anyway, here's the quote, with the pertinent part bolded:

"When he's introduced in ANH, Han is a loner who doesn't trust anyone, save his best friend Chewie. Chewie's not quite human, so it's easier for Han to trust him. He's never really trusted anyone. He thinks life's easier that way, and it is, when you're in his line of work...It all changes when he meets Luke and Leia. They become the first true friends he's ever had aside from Chewie, and Leia becomes the first woman he has serious feelings for..Of course this scares the hell out of him and he tries to cover it up with his usual bravado and cockiness..."

8. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2001
    When I said post proof, I meant quote an actual source, as in an official transcript or linked interview. I'm afraid I can't just believe a random quote floating around the web.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    DeltaJedi...
    "I hate to bust in on the argument...but someone mentioned "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" a few dozen posts back...Is this still in print at all?"

Yes, it was just reprinted with a new EU-friendly foreward by George Lucas himself where he acknowledges the Star Wars universe is too big for him to tell his Saga alone. Most likely you'll be able to find this new reprint in any major bookstore.

"I'd heard it's name thrown around a few times as one of the most striking examples of discontinuity between books and movies..."

No, you have to realize that there's a lot of people who make crap up just to try to satisfy their own opinions. The idea that Timothy Zahn didn't coin the name "Coruscant" is one such case. Blasting Splinter of the Minds' Eye for a mistaken perception it has any discontinuities with what existed is another one.

"...and also heard the rumor that it was going to tbe Episode V in the Star Wars series if ANH was only a modest hit (ie Made enough money to get production on a sequel of the same budget)."

It is not just a rumor. That was the reason Alan Dean Foster was commissioned to write the novel, for it to be the sequel to Star Wars (1977). It wasn't going to be Episode V, because at the time it and Star Wars (1977) originated, Star Wars (1977) was just a single-part movie with the hopeful expectation for a sequel, since it was one of the rights Lucas owned outright in the original contracts.

It is a good novel as well as a good story. Fitting kick-off for expanded Star Wars stories.

10. Su-Ron_Baal

Su-Ron_Baal Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    to the original point in the thread..sorry to say but EU doesn't mean a damn thing.

like it or not.

I love the books much as anyone..but to think it's anything more then "official" fan-fiction is a waste of time.

NO EU is canon..only what happens in george's movie.

take boba fet for example....didn't george help WRITE those book(s)? I could be thinking of another one..but regardless......Boba's origin in AotC proves that NO EU books are canon.

So see..there actually isn't any "continuity problems" as whatever happened in that book that told of where the DS was created is moot...nothing more then if I wrote a book and made it that chewie was the one that designed it.

get over it..accept EU for what it is....official fan-fiction..nothing else.

carry on.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Su-Ron_Baal: [face_plain] Do you have any original thoughts to bring to the table? [face_plain]

12. PreadoriteVong

PreadoriteVong Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2002
    Son Ron Ball...I guess you don't read the threads before you start making comments that have been proven otherwise many times already. Read on:

Star Wars Gamer, Issue 6, October/November 2001, Wizards of the Coast, p. 113
    BEGIN ARTICLE
    "Understanding Infinities
    The Star Wars Infinities logo that appeared on the cover of Gamer #4 raised the hackles of several readers who proceeded to bombard us from orbit with heavy mail. For the record, we intended the logo to point to some of the lighter content in that issue, in particular the hilarious Dark Horse comic. The appearance of the Infinities logo on the cover raised the issue of what IS and IS NOT considered "canon" in the Star Wars universe.
    According to Lucas Licensing Editor Sue Rostoni, 'Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays.' Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon."

END ARTICLE

13. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    What a pointless topic.

14. PreadoriteVong

PreadoriteVong Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2002
    Oh and while you all got me on the rampage again, someone posted a comment earlier regarding leia sending a message to Ben Kenobi, because he was a Jedi. I think the original comment was something to the effect of "What, you think she thought he was a spiffy leader?"
    Ummm. YEAH! Do you even pay attention to the movies??? She said "GENERAL Kenobi,You served my father well during the clone wars"
    no Jedi master Kenobi, or Master Obi-Wan who killed a sith as a padawan Kenobi. She was asking his help because he was a military leader during the clone wars who could help the rebellion, not because he was a Jedi. She probably did not even known he was Jedi, so that whole comment was way off base.I really wish people had their facts stright before they made outrageous comments.

15. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I've only read the first post, and frankly, this sounds like a continuity problem with the expanded universe, not with the true canon of the films. Whenever a Star Wars film contradicts some of the scribblings by the EU writers then it's the EU that has it wrong. Sorry, kids, but that's just how it is.

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    OK boys and girls. Here's a challenge that I lay down before anyone who wishes to debate this topic any further:

Don't use refer to the term "canon."

Purist, completist, I don't care what your view is of the Expanded Universe, I just want to see how intelligently you can debate the subject at hand without having to rely on the concept of "canon."

To lead off, I'll re-post something of mine from earlier in the thread:

Look, even by sticking with the movies, it's obvious that the Death Star schematic that Poggle the Lesser showed to Count Dooku is different from the finished product that destroyed Alderaan. Going from that, it's obvious that there were changes made to the design over the course of the 25+ years from when we saw the schematic to seeing the actual Death Star in action. It is therefore logical to infer that several beings had a hand in the various revisions made to the planning, design, & construction of the battle station.

17. Jedi_Bratzilla

Jedi_Bratzilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2000
    *bangs head on desk*

Not another embittered EU fanboy ragging the films because his precious pile of literary poo has been dissed!!!

Don't get mad at Lucas because he did what he ALWAYS said he would - that is, tell his story HIS way!

Don't like it? Too bad! There is an entire Lit forum for you. Go there and cry in your sEUp.

The EU is just paid fan fiction. That is ALL it is. Stop trying to force it into the films.

What utter hypocracy! You want to claim Canon status when one word (Coruscant) is used, but then want to rip the movies.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

You hate Canon so bad, you want to be part of it.

Talk about the red-headed stepchild syndrome!

Regards,
    Brat.

18. DARKAURUM

DARKAURUM Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2002
    Ok. I've seen another post about continuity turn into a ***** debate. Why? Because EU fans are not allowed to discuss peacefully the relation between movies and EU in the Prequel-Spoilers-Allowed forums. Someone always comes along and says something along the lines of "It doesn't matter if it conflicts, it's not *****"

Personally, the one who started this thread should have defined it, so it is better suited to the EU-hostility in this forum. I think we should be allowed to discuss two things in this thread: 1. Internal movie continuity, including novelizations
    2. EU/Movie continuity.

That being said, here's my problems with debates about internal movie continuity: it doesn't yet exist. (with the exception of the Owen/Obi relationship) Why? Because Episode III has not been written yet. Any debates about the droids' memories are pointless because they might get their memories wiped in episode III. Obi-Wan's statement "he was the best starpilot in the galaxy" can yet be justified in EP III. and so on. For example, the "You will learn from the Jedi Master who instucted me" error was fixed in EP II, when Yoda is teaching the younglings.

My point: As obi/owen is the only error within the so-called movie ***** thus far, this thread actually implies discussion of the Expanded Universe. All the conflicts with Attack of the Clones are EU conflicts, and only Jango's is the one with an official fix. Let us discuss them, since that is what this thread was created for.

-Lucas contradicts himself left-right and center. I believe he said something about 9 movies?

-I'll take Heir to the Empire over the crap that is The Phantom Menace any day.

19. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    ROTFLMAO!!

Jedi Merkurian issues the common sense challenge...
    "OK boys and girls. Here's a challenge that I lay down before anyone who wishes to debate this topic any further:

Don't use refer to the term "canon."
    "

And Jedi Bratzilla a post later [face_laugh]...
    "What utter hypocracy! You want to claim Canon..."

Well, we know one person failed that challenge miserably. Of course the owners of Star Wars have stated that the EU is canon. But, that's an irrelevent issue. The Star Wars saga began in 1973, and was finally realized in 1976 with the Star Wars (1977) novellization and in 1977 with the release of the 1st movie. Everything since that original movie is a spin-off of that original movie - whether it was Empire Strikes Back, Splinter of the Minds Eye, Heir to the Empire or The Phantom Menace. They're all derivative works of Star Wars (1977).

Some have more relevence to the core story within the Star Wars universe which George Lucas is trying to tell, others have less. Others have their own epic story to tell within that universe. Some are directly related to the events of the movies, some are less directly related.

One thing you can bet is that when something rightfully and legally has "Star Wars" on it, it is Star Wars. So, there's different places where it fits within Star Wars. So what.

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    "You hate Canon so bad, you want to be part of it."

:confused:

21. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    The best part of that ridiculous statement is that "canon" was coined in the context of Star Wars by people other than Lucas to clarify which things other than Lucas' main movies are part of the story.

In short, canon always was an EU term for EU items. If only the movies existed, then there wouldn't be any need for clarification of which things were part of the movies. Not with a plethora of non-movie stories, some which are part of the saga and some which aren't, there existed the need to differentiate between what was canon and what wasn't.

"Canon" always was inclusive of the EU dating back to the early 90's when it was first officially used to cover Star Wars.

Try again, brat. :)

22. Gaudior

Gaudior Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2002
    I don't see what's so confusing about Brat's statement, I read her loud and clear.

23. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Then don't quote GL, RM, and any other LFL staffers as the voice of God Himself.

[face_laugh]

When talking about Catholicism, NO...I won't quote GL, RM or any other LFL staffer.

When talking about Islam, NO...I won't quote them on that either.

Ditto with Scientology.

When talking about STAR WARS (like what the other members said in response to that quote above), George Lucas is a diety.

And all the authors of the EU can be hung for their "blasphemy," A.K.A. novels.

[face_laugh] again.

24. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    This was posted a while back, in regards to See Threepio: "And he'd been owned by several different people since then. Owen speaks of memory erases in ANH, and that's probably standard procedure when acquiring a new droid. C3PO could have had many memory erasures over the years."

Now, what makes you think he's been owned by several people between Anakin and Luke? He says his last master was Captain Antilles. That's ONE. Not several. The idea that he had several owners in between Luke and Anakin is an EU idea. (See "Droids" for the most obvious examples.)

Now, the idea is that whatever is on screen is absolute canon? What about the afromentioned "Droids"? Or the Ewoks' cartoon? Ok, so animation doesn't count? What about the Ewok movies? Or worst of all, the Holiday Special? Yes, the Holiday Special, a live action television production that features Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia, Harrison Ford as Han Solo... basically the cast of Star Wars reunited in their original roles, set just after the first movie? This is on the screen, live action, story by Lucas. So is this EU? By most EU bashers definitions, no, it is not. It even features part of Anakin's story, showing how he doesn't want the rebels to celebrate a wookiee holiday of all things. It lends deep insight into his childhood as he was probably spurned many a time by Watto whenever Tatooine's 'Sunday' rolled around. (Tatooine's Sunday of course recurring much less frequently than ours.)

25. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Episodes I-VI are the only things that are "cannon" for me. Even the novelizations conflict/contradict with what's on screen sometimes. I guess I'm just a hard-liner! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.