main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity in AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by PreadoriteVong, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawnmowerman603

lawnmowerman603 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    In regards to the death star: even if the cycle of owners of the death star plans started with lemelisk or seinar, how come the upcoming "the clone wars" video game refers to it as an ancient sith weapon? For that matter, I'm wondering if it is even the ds plans that are being referred to or just something else from one of the sith holocrons. And for that matter, how would the republic have learned of the "ultimate weopon" if Dooku had taken it back to sidious on coruscant?

2. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    So this is the kind of thread you get when SW "gushers" run loose. And I thought "bashers" were the bad guys. I learn a little more everyday.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Still waiting for an intelligent argument that doesn't include the use of the word "canon" by either purists or completists [face_plain]

4. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    And all the authors of the EU can be hung for their "blasphemy," A.K.A. novels.

LOL yeah, all the authors that were contracted to write by the people who work for the diety that is Lucas. [face_plain]

If Lucas didn't want these authors trampling on his universe with their blasphemy then he wouldn't have allowed them to write. Oh, but Lucas makes money from them, doesn't he? Sure, he makes money from almost everything else that has the Star Wars logo on it. Disallowing the novels to be written wouldn't make him financially bankrupt, yet he still allows them. Funny, huh.

how come the upcoming "the clone wars" video game refers to it as an ancient sith weapon? For that matter, I'm wondering if it is even the ds plans that are being referred to or just something else from one of the sith holocrons. And for that matter, how would the republic have learned of the "ultimate weopon" if Dooku had taken it back to sidious on coruscant?

Are we sure that the Ancient Sith weapon is actually the Death Star? It could be something else that the game designers cooked up for this particular game. Or it could be something that relates to Episode III.

5. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    "Canon", I don't use it. Hell, I can barely remember what it means.

6. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    You know what, I just started reading the first few posts, the ones that started this mess.

And I started to wonder. What if GL is toying with us all? I mean, what if he put the plans of the DS into AotC as a joke, just to start a debate? I mean, he has got to know that the purists and the completists bicker over the tiniest of slips in the continuity of things.

Here is another thing that has pondered me. Anakin Skywalker the force ghost/aberration, what ever you call it. In RotJ he looks about the same age as OB1. But the timeline does not make this seem to be. The timeline places him to be in his 40's, I think that is the right age.

7. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    Good point, just because they show the plans does not mean we have to see anything of it til anh.

it could be something that palps sits on for 20 years and unleashes as his ulimtate weapon to do all the ruling for him while he can sit back in private and be a bastard.

he has a lot of details to iron out with the getting rid of the republic, years of stamping out the senators and the unruly systems, he could just take those plans from the geonosians and wait until his empire is sufficiently wealthy and large enough to start construction.

awesome point, from here on out, i declare there will be no DS in ep3! we don't need no stinking rehashed DS reactor blow up thing anyways!

8. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Ahem...

Blah blah blah canon blah blah blah contradiction blah blah blah PPOR.

Every one of these posts is starting to sound like that. It's like a basher/gusher war, it just gets repetitive and boring. I say this not as a person on any particular side of the debate, but as someone who is sick and tired of all the c-word debates around here. Why was this thing ressurected in the first place? Can a mod lock this already?

9. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    I never said canon, contradiction or PPOR in my post!

*Hides from Lord_Hydronium*

:p

10. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    George himself has said that the Starws Saga shown in the movies are just a frament of the whole story and that it was a tale so great in scope that he could never hope to tell it so he left it to other authors and comic book writers to fill in the gaps and ultimately finish the tale.

Hmmmm, I'll have to dig for the quote on that one. By "George", you mean GL right? 8-}

It wouldn't surprise me that much if GL or Rick McCallum came here every so often just to mess with fans.

I know that I would find it pretty hilarious if it turned out that the original poster was in fact Rick McCallum having some fun and watching some fans dance for him as he laughs maniacally at his keyboard.

I didn't come here to debate but I will stay for the comedy. :D

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What gets me is that everyone's all bent out of shape over a bunch of books. It's very sad that people think it's the end of the world when a book is written, whether it's good or bad, about Star Wars. Makes me glad we don't burn books in the 21st century. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some of the bashers wouldn't partake in it, just to burn the eu books.

Who cares what's in a book? You don't like it, fine. Drop it and move on. It's a wonder people label Star Wars as geeky, and for losers. Getting upset about the eu, whether you like it or not, puts all of us on par with the Trekkies who get hostile if something is messed up in the series and films. And I'm not bashing, but it's the same mentality on both sides of the fence.

As it stands, everything that was defined in the Gamer magazines is correct. Lucas has said time and again that the movies are one frame of the story. The eu is canon, as long as it doesn't intrude on the films. Stuff that the authors had no knowledge of, will be and/or has been corrected.

Jaster Mereel was Jango Fett's mentor. Later, Boba Fett used his name while on Concord Dawn.

Jorus C'boath does exist, but will not be seen on screen.

Jedi do have multi colored Lightsabers, except for those at Geonosis and those seen in episode 3.

Bevel Lemenisk (sp) worked with Poogle and the others on the Death Star at Geonosis. He later worked with Tarkin after episode 3 and was team leader on it.

You don't have to like the books. Just don't get so upset over something so trivial.

12. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    What about the coloring books? How do they fit into overall continuity?

I don't remember seeing any infinities labels on those. :D

13. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    Hmmmm, I'll have to dig for the quote on that one. By "George", you mean GL right?

Yeah, it's in the Splinter of the Mind's Eye rerelease. He wrote an introduction to the book.

I know that I would find it pretty hilarious if it turned out that the original poster was in fact Rick McCallum having some fun and watching some fans dance for him as he laughs maniacally at his keyboard.

I can just picture that [face_laugh]

I don't remember seeing any infinities labels on those.

I should hope those are canon after I spent all that money on my Jar Jar colouring books :mad:

Just kidding. :p

14. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Yeah, it's in the Splinter of the Mind's Eye rerelease. He wrote an introduction to the book.

This is an interesting point, actually, and it can really be applied to SW in general.

GL has said a lot of things over the years. Some people still hold out hope that Episodes 7-9 will get made based on some offhand comments about 20 years ago.

I can come up with GL quotes that are probably more current and don't really fit with this notion from the original post. When did the rerelease come out?

I'm not interested in a debate on the c-word that will undoubtedly go around in circles, just that I'm inclined to pay more attention to GL's perspective in a more present timeframe with the release of the prequels.

Now if only my complete coloring book collection would get the recognition that it deserves... 8-}

15. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    By "c-word" do you mean "crap" or that other word that can only be whispered because it is so vile...?

16. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    O.K., look, Poggle the Lesser said, "The Jedi must not find out what we are building." I assume by "we" he is referring to the sepratists and not to the Geonosins. This is a reasonable assumption and requires no great feat of logic to understand.

Now as for the expanded universe, it still seems reasonably safe because you can pretend that Bevel Lembiski--or whatever the hell his name is--was commissioned to polish up the plans and begin construction in the Maw Cluster--or whatever the hell it's called--to make the Death Star.

The only time you EU fans need to worry is if the films directly contradict the books (which has happened on occasion). In these cases, I'm afraid the books got it wrong.

17. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    In the EU, Bevel Lemelisk worked with the Geonosians on the design and had the Death Star constructed over Despayre...

The only time you EU fans need to worry is if the films directly contradict the books (which has happened on occasion).

When precisely has this happened?

18. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    When precisely has this happened?

You're kidding right?

19. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    I can come up with GL quotes that are probably more current and don't really fit with this notion from the original post. When did the rerelease come out?

The rerelease came out in 1995. No one's saying the c-word. Or at least, I'm not trying to, but I would be willing to give up most of the post RotJ EU if George Lucas made an Episode 7, 8 and 9.

The only time you EU fans need to worry is if the films directly contradict the books (which has happened on occasion).

Understandably. Sometimes some authors (Like Zahn :mad: ) are told not to touch upon certain periods of time or certain characters. Yet Zahn still tried to give dates for the Clone Wars.

Subsequently, fixes were made so that everything could flow a little smoother.

20. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    The rerelease came out in 1995. No one's saying the c-word. Or at least, I'm not trying to, but I would be willing to give up most of the post RotJ EU if George Lucas made an Episode 7, 8 and 9.

I may have to save that for a future signature. 8-}

21. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    In the EU, Bevel Lemelisk worked with the Geonosians on the design and had the Death Star constructed over Despayre...

So the Geonosians have been written into the EU already? Boy, that was quick. What books are they in? I might check them out at the bookstore sometime.

22. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    I may have to save that for a future signature.

Cool :)

So the Geonosians have been written into the EU already? Boy, that was quick. What books are they in? I might check them out at the bookstore sometime.

New Essential Guide to Characters under Bevel Lemelisk's entry.

23. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Ah yes, I should have remembered the essential guide updated for AOTC. I have seen this book.

Most interesting.

Odd how Bevel Lemelisk never appears onscreen in AOTC or does he?

24. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    Odd how Bevel Lemilisk never appears onscreen in AOTC or does he?

Nope. Also a bit odd that no Geonosian scientists or any scientists appear on Geonosis during AotC. Are we to believe that Poggle designed those plans himself? :p

25. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    (no message, double post mayhem)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.