main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Continuity problem: Anakin as a ghost in ROTJ may be a clue for something?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Giando74, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giando74

Giando74 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    Hello everyone.
    And sorry if this subject has already been debated.

In the original OT we saw 'old' Anakin appearing alongside Yoda's and Kenobi's ghosts.
    In the BluRay special editions, George Lucas decided to substitute Sebastian Shaw's face with young Anakin's face, played by Hayden Christensen.
    And in ROTS we see Yoda learning from Qui Gon the ways to become one with the Force and then passing this knowledge to Obi Wan.

So, as far as we know, Anakin has never received any training about how to become a ghost.

Is it possible that Abrams and Kasdan have decided to show a solution about this kind of continuity issue and use it as a storytelling element?
    Could the ending of ROTJ be a hint about the fact that Vader discovered somewhere how to reunite with the Force during his Sith life?
    Would this mean that also the Sith could be able to do that and not just the Jedi? (yes, Anakin was redeemed just before dying, but this doesn't mean he could have learnt the techniques authomatically).
    Maybe the place where Luke is hiding during TFA events is the one containing this secret?

Thoughts?

2. JBFett007

JBFett007 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2014
    Well Obi-Wan learned from Qui-Jon's ghost supposedly, so I see no reason why Luke couldn't learn from the other's ghost.

Dak Oolron and DarthBreezy like this.
  3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Anakin spiritually 'died' on Mustafar and became Darth Vader. From what I remember hearing, Yoda and Obi-wan 'captured' his soul before it could totaIIy discorperate...

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think one must 'learn' it anyhow. I think it was granted to Anakin as a gift and acknowledgement that he was redeemed. Just because some 'learn' something one way doesn't make it so for everyone.

5. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I have long said that I thought Haydakin was a plant to use him later.

6. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Mod edit: Inappropriate

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    At the end of TCW Yoda (confirmed by Filoni), Anakin is made aware of this power by the Grand Master.

8. Giando74

Giando74 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2014

Thanks... sorry could you explain better?

I can't distinguish the subject in your sentence...
    and: is Yoda the same as the Grand Master?

9. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It has long been thought that Obi-Wan and Yoda may have "assisted" Anakin in having a Force ghost upon his death / becoming one with the Force.

11. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I thought Yoda learned it from Qui-Gon, then passed it on to Obi-Wan?

Yes please explain who the Grand Master is.

12. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So only one person needs to know how to do it, then they can form a force ghost conga line.

Sum-Wan, danmcken and Dak Oolron like this.
  13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Considering it was all done prior to any prep for Epsiode 7, I'd have to say a resounding no.

But that's not to say they won't explore the concept of the force ghost in some way.

Sum-Wan likes this.
  14. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014

But... no words.

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I always assumed that Anakin's spirit was granted to him by the Force itself for his role in its balance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    This subject is explained very nicely in S6 of TCW in the Yoda arc. The Priestesses do, in fact, teach Yoda how to become a ghost. He has to pass a few tests before he is "rewarded" with this knowledge, which he passes on to Obi-Wan. So no, it's not some thing that just happens to Jedi without prior knowledge. Specifically, they have to be able to know their true self and then let go of it.

The show never depicts Yoda explaining this to Anakin, so I have no idea where that comes from. If Filoni says this happened, that's only in his head and not official canon yet, and a link would be nice.

In the decanonized Legends universe, I think Obi-Wan helped Anakin ghost once he died. I have no idea what the official version is now. But everything we know canon-wise indicates that individuals must pass a series of tests before being granted the power. Could Anakin be different? Who knows.

17. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Thanks Dra---

I actually saw all of TCW and didn't remember seeing that. My memory blows though lol

I'll go back and find that part.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    JJ and Kasdan could twist the Force Ghost concept, yes. And it doesn't have to be drastic, neither, just a simple explanation to explain why the Jedi weren't able to ghost before.

If I was writing the later stories I would have it that the Jedi simply became, somewhat, detached from the Force through the centuries after the Ruusan Reformation and that in their ignorance the Force Ghosting method was a lost ability. Not only would it explain the arrogant and complacent nature of the Jedi in the Prequels but it would also, somewhat, explain the Balance of the Force concept, as well.

19. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, I always thought perhaps Obi-Wan and Yoda assisted in bringing Anakin over to ghost-status upon his death. But there can be several other explanations I guess. One would be that Anakin was indeed the Chosen One - and in being so, the Force granted him the ability to ghost without going through the same trials that Yoda and Obi-Wan had to endure. Another would be that Yoda simply taught Anakin the secret sometime after the end of TCW season 6 and before ROTS.

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I still would rather have it be that it takes a heroic act or complete devotion to the Force than have it be about learning an actual ability. It somewhat takes the religion part out of the Force when they make it a power.

yassir.khan likes this.
  21. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Ive always thought the Chosen One gets a pass when it comes to force ghosting

22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Another one of those unclear concepts with many differing views. It doesn't really matter much externally, as it was really the resolution of Luke's personal arc. Yes, you can tag the PT Chosen One label on it and call it a day, but digging any deeper brings more complicated questions on forgiveness and justice. I'd rather not unless JJ and Kasdan have something ingenious devised for it the ST.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Watch TFA have a legion of Jedi die and immediately turn into empty robes, all of our heads would explode.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    But before all of that, Qui-Gon had to have learned it somehow without explanation from anyone, but we don't have an explanation for how that happened (or we do and I haven't heard it). I guess it would come down to how long it would have taken for Anakin to have learned that once he died.

Also, is it canon that Qui-Gon becomes Yoda's master in the Netherworld? That was in the ROTS novel.

25. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    You're all forgetting something very important.

Anakin is very much unlike either Yoda or Obi-Wan. He isn't just strong in the force, he was created by the force.

Why would a being created by the force itself play by the same rules? He is the force, in human form. He is the dark side...and the light.

Qui-Riv-Brid, Immortiss and Lee_ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.