main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity with the special effects = NONE!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by hawk, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Except [the orignal films] had substance behind them.

Yes, many of us have taken the time to see beyond the whiz bang effects and recognize that there is a very complex story below the trimmings. It's sad, then, that a lot of Star Wars fans aren't willing to do the same with the prequels because they really are missing out on some damn good movies.

2. High_and_Dry

High_and_Dry Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2002
    I think the answer to problem is simple:

All the F/X in ANH, ESB & ROTJ must be redone using todays technology.

This wouldn't hurt the films in anyway (as long as they don't do a 'Han and Greedo'.

But as long as they just stick to improving the look of all the F/X then this would iron out any problems.

I bet there is already a team at ILM that has been working on this as we speak.

3. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    as long as they don't do a 'Han and Greedo'.

I have a feeling that the Han vs. Greedo scene is going to be redone in a way that still let's Greedo shoot first while lending credibility to the scene (for example, the technology exists to animate Han to realistically dodge the shot.)

4. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I don't care about continuity. If they want to make other editions fine, as I said, I'd like to see what they can do with the OT but I want the originals to be available.

Maybe the kids who became SW fans with TPM don't realize it but the FX in the OT were revolutionary at the time. Lucas himself invented computer controlled cameras. Phil Tippet invented "go-motion" that had better movement than stop motion. The end battle in Jedi still has the most bluescreen elements in one shot than any film and every model was shot separatly. The stop motion with the AT-ATs took weeks to film. The ROTJ Jabba was the largest puppet used in a film and took 7 guys to operate. The hand crafted Death Star surface model was 40 feet long. The Super Star Destroyer model had like 100,000 lights in it. Those FX are huge pieces of film history. I don't want to see all that just thrown away and replaced with a bunch of CGI that the computer rendered while some tech was out having a Coke. Not without being able to see how it was originally done.

I'm all for progress, and I wouldn't mind a CGI-d up OT but I hope the original is going to still be around.

5. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Holy freakin' cow! I can not wait for these Complete Editions!

So how do you know so much about what's going on at the Ranch? Do you work there or have a friend who does? And have you actually seen these new Yoda scenes and the improved Han vs. Greedo, or this is just rumor?

6. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source. --Ron Nesen

7. Darth_Tarpals

Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    If that's true V8DER, that's the best news I've heard in quite some time.

8. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    If this turns out to be true, then this is the most exciting thing I'll have to look forward to, even more exciting than waiting for Episode III.

2006 cannot possibly come soon enough :(

But the wait will be very exciting :D

9. Phil-The-Fan

Phil-The-Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2002
    I belive that you are 100 percent true without a doubt.

Now let me go flap my wings to Canada for a tropical vacation.

10. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    When Lucas films Episode III he will film scenes to be placed in all six movies to smooth out any plot holes and to integrate some Prequel characters into the Original Trilogy. He already shot new scenes for The Phantom Menace involving Count Dooku during the filming of Attack of the Clones.

Yes, so he can totally erase every ounce of existing humanity from the series.

"He's more machine than man now. Twisted and Evil."

11. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Hey V8der,you just dropped a major information bomb on all of us. I hope your not yanking our chains. But if what you say is true then everyone will be satisfied. The bashers wiil get the original cuts on dvd and the prequel gushers will get a version of the OT with the life completely sucked out of it by wall to wall CGI.

12. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    Han and Greedo scene has already been fixed. In the new version Greedo has his gun holding hand rested on the table in front of him pointed at Han. Just before Greedo shoots Han kicks the table and Greedo's shot just misses Han's head. Just before Greedo recovers and takes another shot, Han shoots him in self defense. Problem solved

*spits drink out at monitor*

:eek: Thats gotta be the biggest load of bull I've ever seen.

The project to make all six Star Wars films fit together is now being called the Complete Editions by George Lucas. For all intents and purposes this will be the last version of the movies for the forseeable future. There is currently at least two teams within ILM working non-stop on effects, the smaller group on the first two Prequels and the larger group on the Original Trilogy. The goal is to acheive visual continuity through all six movies. A good portion of work has already been completed such as scenes from The Empire Strikes Back featuring Yoda in CG. Believe it or not George Lucas has dug through the cut scenes of Yoda tutoring Luke and selected 3 new scenes never before seen by the public that will also be animated by ILM. Frank Oz has been working with the animators of Yoda so that the CG version will remain true to his performance. When Lucas films Episode III he will film scenes to be placed in all six movies to smooth out any plot holes and to integrate some Prequel characters into the Original Trilogy. He already shot new scenes for The Phantom Menace involving Count Dooku during the filming of Attack of the Clones. Believe me, it will be worth the wait!

I'm sorry, that is so bulls****. You say film scenes with Darth Maul to put in TPM? Even if the rest of the stuff is true, GL would not be so shortsighted enough to exclude a character like Dooku from TPM. I mean he is making this up as he goes along, but he's not THAT shortsighted.

13. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    V8DER, if that's true then that's pretty cool. However, I'm curious as to what your source is on this info.

14. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Did you make that up all by yourself, V8DER? :p

15. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
  16. OutlawYoda

OutlawYoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    I'm sorry, its truly glorious to hear such things.. but I won't believe it until I see it at the official site!!!

17. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    During Qui-Gon's funeral Count Dooku walks up to Yoda and Mace and says, "This is the final straw!" and starts to walk away. Yoda follows him and tries to talk some sense into him. Dooku then tells Yoda he will no longer serve a corrupt Senate and that he is quiting the Jedi Order. Yoda goes back to the funeral. Then he says his line, "Always two there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice."

[face_laugh] lol, oh my god that is so funny.

18. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    What did that poster say in Fox Mulder's office? "I want to believe."

I think V8DER is like Lando circa ESB. He seems like he's full of good intentions... but... there's something devious there too.

19. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    V8DER, I looked at your profile, "scriptwriter" hmmm....well I give you that, you are imaginative. "Han Solo kicks the table", LOL [face_laugh]

20. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Good Lord.

21. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    The funny thing is, Durwood actually believed it:

Holy freakin' cow! I can not wait for these Complete Editions!

So how do you know so much about what's going on at the Ranch? Do you work there or have a friend who does? And have you actually seen these new Yoda scenes and the improved Han vs. Greedo, or this is just rumor?

[face_laugh]

I think its cool, V8DER. Kept me entertained.

22. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    Yodaschum means well. Things just rarely turn out that way. :D

23. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Uh, after E3, GL is done. He has mentioned this in numerous interviews. Until I see hard evidence (official word from lucasfilm) of these ultimate editions or plans to insert major characters into the OT and PT, this is all BS.

24. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    V8DER, post some detailed info on disc 2 over on the dvd thread. It would help your credibility out quite well (with me anyway) ;)

And then I may be able to enjoy your "complete edition" info with less... aprehension.

25. macoco

macoco Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2000
    As to original topic:

There is total fx continuity from the prequels to the ot. The OT never goes to Coruscant or Naboo. The situations in the OT call for the effects that are used. The situations and settings in aotc and tpm put ILM to the test.

When you get to Episode IV, there will be several unprecedented fx moments:

1 The first view of a humongous Star Destroyer which engulfs the entire screen.

2 The first cockpit view of the hyperspace jump.

3 The first time a planet is destroyed in a single blast.

4 The first large-scale spacefighter battle.

5 The first disappearing Jedi.

General instances of continuity:
    use of the optical wipe for scene transitions; the use of holographic communications; the droids; the music; the crawl; lightsabers; blasters;

Episode IV takes place on the edge of the galaxy. Storywise, it all gels. The audience will be most concerned about r2 and c3po anyway, and anh has a superrealistic look to it. That aotc manages a superrealistic look while employing many visible and 'invisible' fx is a remarkable achievement.

Obviously continuity is of concern to Lucas, otherwise why all the realistic lighting? If you're sitiing by a fire, the fire is the source of light, just like the dashboards are the lightsources in cockpits.

A fighter that small couldn't have got this deep into space on it's own...not without a HYPERSPACE RING!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.