main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity with the special effects = NONE!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by hawk, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    And I believe Jake Lloyd was made up of plaster and construction paper in a few scenes too. Pretty good special effects if you ask me.

2. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    And I believe Jake Lloyd was made up of plaster and construction paper in a few scenes too.

So its true when the critics called him Mannequin Skywalker :eek:

3. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    And I believe Jake Lloyd was made up of plaster and construction paper in a few scenes too. Pretty good special effects if you ask me.

I think I'm in a tiny minority that actually didn't mind Lloyd and thought he did okay for a ten-year old portraying a ten-year old.

Still, that was funny. [face_laugh]

But I don't think some people will be satisfied until the special effects ARE plaster and construction paper. To make it more "real" of course. :D

4. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Well, if you can tell me how Lucas is supposed to build real sets and use real landscapes for much of AOTC, I'd like to hear it. What landscape can he use that resembles Geonosis? I guess he could fly to Mars and shoot that. What about Kamino? What about Coruscant? What about the arena? How is he supposed to build these things? Just for your info, they did use a lot of real sets.

Why do people take this stuff so personally? Ha ha ha. It's as if my comments about the PT were somehow seen as personal attacks on someone's very identity. Hey wait a minute....

Maybe Lucas could fly to the same planet they filmed Total Recall on. Man, I miss those days when Lucas had the 20th Century Fox budget, and was able to fly to Dagobah and Hoth to film 100% on-location. Hey, I even remember when Lucas used film. It's not like anything in AOTC doesn't have some sort of precursor in film history. Arena battles are nothing new, and didn't they have an isolated oil rig in Armageddon? Hey, just like Kamino.

But many things in AOTC cannot be duplicated in real life, for a reasonable cost. Most of the landscapes are so different that they can't use real ones. No human in makeup can depict a geonosion. They can't makeup a human to resemble a Kaminoan.

They can build animatronics of Kaminoans though. Or maybe even the dreaded puppets (really almost the same thing as animatronics). I guess it all comes down to "reasonable cost". $12 is not a reasonable cost for me to see AOTC more than once theatrically. Sorry, that was off-topic.

5. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Hey, it's JohnWilliams00, back from the SW netherworld! You'll probably be happy to know that all talk of "rose-colored glasses" has been successfully eradicated from this forum. Instead, the new thing around here is "opinion as fact" and "deserving the PT". There was also something recently about Dr. David Brin, elusive criminal mastermind.

6. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    LOL! tokyoextreme! Maybe we could get an actual martian to direct the final prequal! I'm sure it would be an improvement, and he wouldnt have to refine and refine and refine his approach for 20-30 years!

7. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    What landscape can he use that resembles Geonosis?

TO me Geonosis looked a lot like the bug planet in Starship Troopers, which was filmed in Wyoming. In fact, there are many places out west where GL or McCallum or whoever does the location scouting could have filmed those scenes. But I agree that Kamino would have been hard to do. The last thing that needs to happen is another Waterworld. ;)

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Tokyo, we don't take your comments personally, we are just explaining to you why he couldn't do most of that stuff practically.

To me, the prequels have been as good looking or better than the classic trilogy. Better looking spaceship effects, better lasers, better lightsabers, better vistas, better matte paintings.

Man, the more I think about it, the more I think the classic trilogy needs to be remade from scratch. They could surgically cut out all the actors and paste them into better looking surrondings. Lose that Chewbacca and put in Jar-Jar, less adults and more children actors.

Man, this saga could be saved yet.

9. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I WISH the rose colored glasses crap was eradicated Tokyo, but I saw it for the millionth time as recently as a couple of days ago.

10. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I WISH the rose colored glasses crap was eradicated Tokyo, but I saw it for the millionth time as recently as a couple of days ago.

I wish all of the complaints that the bashers repeat over and over and over, every day, even after they've been countered and disproved, would disappear. But I've seen many of them as recently as last night.

11. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    There's also the point of the Bond movies...although they all have the same character, and most of the same supporting characters, they have obviously changed over a forty-year period. Not only actor-wise, but the FX quality and much of the setting has become outdated, such as the primitive computer/printer in FOR YOUR EYES ONLY(Although we've yet to advance in laser technology as far as the Bond films :). The actor continuity has been hard to keep up. Although the "M" and "Q" transitions can be explained away easily, Bond and Moneypenny are a bit harder to explain. Especially Moneypenny-she went from being 60 in "View To A Kill" to being in her mid-twenties in "Living Daylights".

My point is, continuity is hard to do in a long-running series. Does Hayden sound like Sebastian Shaw? Nope.(Apparentally Hayden was trying to create a fushion of Lloyd-JEJ instead of LLoyd-SS).

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Which would I rather have: something that looks totally like a puppet or CGI that has full movement capabilities and doesn't look like a puppet? I'll stick with CGI.

13. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Ssshh, sshhh, darth-sinister. You're not allowed to say that around here. This is CGI Bash Central.

14. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Which would I rather have: something that looks totally like a puppet or CGI that has full movement capabilities and doesn't look like a puppet?"

full movement also means totally unrealistic movement, but hey if thats what you like, you can have it.

15. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Thank you. Now why don't you leave us to it?

16. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    full movement also means totally unrealistic movement

It can mean that, but ILM has proven that it's not something we need to worry ourselves over.

17. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    Man, the more I think about it, the more I think the classic trilogy needs to be remade from scratch. They could surgically cut out all the actors and paste them into better looking surrondings. Lose that Chewbacca and put in Jar-Jar, less adults and more children actors.

I find your lack of faith in the OT disturbing.

Prepare for a force choke. :mad:

18. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Which is better:

jar jar
    or
    puppet yoda from the ot's

[face_laugh]

19. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "full movement also means totally unrealistic movement

It can mean that, but ILM has proven that it's not something we need to worry ourselves over."

maybe you dont need to worry about it. but when i see flippity flopping 3PO and tazmanian devil yoda in a star wars film, a flag goes up to tell me something has gone wrong. not to mention the amazingly realistic anakin doing the bronco riding bit.

yeah it looked great. glad youre happy with it. i wasnt, and neither were many other fans who thought that stuff stuck out like a sore thumb.

20. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Too bad for you and the many "fans" who agree with you.

21. Darth_Terrell

Darth_Terrell Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    "and neither were many other fans who thought that stuff stuck out like a sore thumb."

DrE, speak for yourself and stop speaking for others, who you don't have any idea what they think. Please, name all these other fans who agree with you since you seem to state it as fact? And don't name anyone on here. There not enough on here who hate it to call them many. So please, enlighten us on all these many Star Wars fans who hated it.

"full movement also means totally unrealistic movement."

ROTFLMAO! Yeah, like a sock puppet mimcs completely realistic movement.

22. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    maybe you dont need to worry about it. but when i see flippity flopping 3PO and tazmanian devil yoda in a star wars film, a flag goes up to tell me something has gone wrong. not to mention the amazingly realistic anakin doing the bronco riding bit.

First of all, even the most "disappointed critics" agreed that the Yoda fight was a crowd pleaser, and since you care so much what the critics think, I don't have to say any more.

Now, Anakin riding the shaak, no, it didn't look all that great, but it took up a whole 10 seconds of film time. Same with the "bendy toy" 3P0. In other words, you are trying to prove the inadequacy of CGI animation using a total of 20 seconds worth of footage out of a 2 1/2 hour movie with otherwise nearly flawless special effects.

As Count Dooku would say, "Surely you can do better!"

23. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    DrE, speak for yourself and stop speaking for others, who you don't have any idea what they think. Please, name all these other fans who agree with you since you seem to state it as fact? And don't name anyone on here. There not enough on here who hate it to call them many. So please, enlighten us on all these many Star Wars fans who hated it.

If you check out the basher's sanctuary you'll see there are quite a few people who don't like all the cg.

Complaints about CG are pretty common.

The doctor isn't out of line at all.

ROTFLMAO! Yeah, like a sock puppet mimcs completely realistic movement.

No one ever said it did. But in many cases it moves pretty well (just differently) and most of the time it's at least as convincing as the CG dude.

It's a mixed bag, really. The CG Yoda does certain things better and the puppet does certain things better.

I heard Roepert call puppet Yoda a sock puppet in his video reveiw with Ebert. I don't understand how this description has any merit. It was a very realistic-looking puppet and it worked very well. Calling it a sock puppet just isn't fair IMO.

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I thought the bashers didn't like things in general.

25. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    if all the cgi was gone the bashers would say star wars needs cool cgi like lotr had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.