main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity with the special effects = NONE!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by hawk, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    "The Yoda puppet is real!"

He yells as he thrashes around in his pink padded cell. If only he could escape the bonds of his straight jacket and reveal to the world how Lucas had the real Yoda murdered to further his nefarious plot to turn us all into computer generated creations.

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "if all the cgi was gone the bashers would say star wars needs cool cgi like lotr had."

ill say it now: star wars needs cool cgi like lotr had, not the cutsey, in your face, overused, inescapable onslaught of cgi for the sake of cgi that we got with AOTC.

3. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Star Wars has always been in your face and cutesy.

4. Darth-Riptor

Darth-Riptor Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2002
    Hello? He already said he was going back and making new scenes for the OT. In fact he has made some already. I'm sure he is going to put a lot more SFX in the OT to have to stand up to the new ones. I just hope he get to see the people on alderian before they are blown up
    Like see Bail Organa look out his window, and see this giant green lazer explode down from the sky and slam into the ground. that would be sweEt!!

5. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    At the top of my OT reimagining wishlist is that Vader possess the ability to shoot Sith Lasers from his eyes. I'd also like to see him force push and force pull people around a bit. Next, force lightning! As strong as Vader is with the force, lightning should be a snap.

6. Merkel

Merkel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    My sister hasn't a got a clue how sfx were made in AOTC, and she asked me if that big waterfall in Naboo was near Lake Como (which we visited earlier in the year) and she was amazed when I told her that not a single clonetrooper was live-action. Most of us are pretty informded on some of the processes of special effects, but when one is ignorant of such matters, the ilusion can be almost complete.

My sister is 22, BTW.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    While I knew the Clonetroopers were CGI, I assumed that at least a few were real and was pleasently surprised to not even notice the difference.

DrE, Terell refers to those off of boards I believe.

8. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "In other words, you are trying to prove the inadequacy of CGI animation using a total of 20 seconds worth of footage out of a 2 1/2 hour movie with otherwise nearly flawless special effects."

actually i have a theory that much of the stuff that was cut out of the film, i.e. the mace/jango fight was cut because they used cg stunt doubling and it looked bad, even to george.

i have a feeling the same thing happened to the ridiculously choppy obi/ani/dooku/yoda fight. thats why the editing jumps around so much, because they couldnt fix the cg mess they had made, and had to cut around it. if youll notice, there is very little acrobatic action in that fight.

bring back stuntmen on wires until you can get it right.

9. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    Point of this thread = NONE!

[face_plain]

10. Kryatt_Dragon

Kryatt_Dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    Hello? He already said he was going back and making new scenes for the OT. In fact he has made some already. I'm sure he is going to put a lot more SFX in the OT to have to stand up to the new ones. I just hope he get to see the people on alderian before they are blown up
    Like see Bail Organa look out his window, and see this giant green lazer explode down from the sky and slam into the ground. that would be sweEt!!

At this point I don't care what Lucas does with the OT as long as he makes the pre se OT available.

I could almost forgive Lucas for all of his stupidity if he'd just do us that favor.

If he chooses not to do it than he 'chooses' to have people hate his guts.

I keep wondering if some day he's going to re-release the original original trilogy (pre-se) after he's already made a ****load of money on the ultimate edition DVDs.

Nahhhh.

11. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    actually i have a theory that much of the stuff that was cut out of the film, i.e. the mace/jango fight was cut because they used cg stunt doubling and it looked bad, even to george.

That's an interesting theory. Highly speculative and lacking even an ounce of credibility or supporting evidence, but an interesting theory none the less.

12. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    If he chooses not to do it than he 'chooses' to have people hate his guts.

It is pretty common knowledge that Lucas doesn't really care what a bunch of a whiney self-serving fanboys think of him, so I doubt your "threat" is going to impact his decision making process in any way.

13. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    I still cannot find an answer to my questions. Was the poop that Jar-Jar stepped into on Tatooine CGI? If it was I will have lost all faith in Lucas as a director. I mean, how cost effective is that anyway? I could have provided the turd free of charge. It would have been a sweet story to tell my grandchildren, "You see that dookie there? That's grandpa's fine work right there sonny!" Even though I obviously cannot tell one way or the other if it was CGI or not, I have to believe that real three-dimensional fecal matter would have been much more believable. Just my two cents.

I also have a problem with the lack of poop present in AotC. I do think that the continuity was drastically effected in a negative way with this peculiar absense. Couldn't they have worked it in during the scene in which Jar-Jar makes a motion to grant emergency powers to the Chancellor? Maybe one of the Wookie senators could have laid down a fresh one. Oh well, George has lost touch with the fans. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it.

If I don't see any poodoo by my fifth viewing of Episode III, I just might not watch the prequels ever again.

[face_mischief]

14. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "That's an interesting theory. Highly speculative and lacking even an ounce of credibility or supporting evidence, but an interesting theory none the less."

then it must seem very familiar to you because you float stuff like that all the time.

i made the comment based on every instance of stunt cg stunt doubling that looks bad (you even agree with the anakin one, and the 3PO one) in these films. seems credible that lucas used a whole bunch of it in tow major fight sequences. its not like he doesnt use cg alot. if it looks bad for 20 seconds, imagine how terrible it might have looked for the duration of a saber fight.

15. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    The ESB Yoda is the best puppet I've ever seen. Under my intense basher scrutiny that I watch ESB with almost every day, that sculpture of plastic and rubber holds up. That is the most genius puppet creation I've ever seen, and that my friends, IS YODA. This thing in AOTC? Ha ha ha... wake me when this shiz is over.

16. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    Your CG stunt double theory gets shot down because they actually filmed these scenes WITH the principal actors and there are set photos and SW.com documentaries of them filming these scenes.

Again, if you would have done any amount of research into the subject, you would have found this out.

17. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "Your CG stunt double theory gets shot down because they actually filmed these scenes WITH the principal actors and there are set photos and SW.com documentaries of them filming these scenes.

Again, if you would have done any amount of research into the subject, you would have found this out."

yes I KNOW THEY WERE SHOT WITH REAL ACTORS. let me walk you through this one. first they film a fight, then they add the cg stunts after. just like they did with the force jump of obi and qui in TPM. remember when they dropped down from that high grate in the early part of the film? that was cg doubling. just like in other movies when they use real stuntmen. the real actors do some of the fighting, then stuntmen do the stunts. get it? its really not that complicated to understand.

if you would think before you post next time, you wouldnt look so silly, especially when you use that condescending tone.

18. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    That's an interesting theory. Highly speculative and lacking even an ounce of credibility or supporting evidence, but an interesting theory none the less.

Durwood, I think you lack even an ounce of objectivity as your gusher knee-jerk dismissive retorts demonstrate.

Why is it so hard for you to meet us half-way?

Does it scare you that much that we might occasionally be right?

19. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    The ESB Yoda is the best puppet I've ever seen. Under my intense basher scrutiny that I watch ESB with almost every day, that sculpture of plastic and rubber holds up. That is the most genius puppet creation I've ever seen, and that my friends, IS YODA. This thing in AOTC? Ha ha ha... wake me when this shiz is over.

Boy have I got a treat for you, my friend. ;)

If you want I can even give you a little preview. :p

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No because it's all opinion. Your opininon is one thing, mine is another. Same with Durwood and everyone else.

The only reason the duels were shortened was to re-enforce Dooku's skills over Obi-wan and Anakin. It's all about pacing. The only time the CG was used was for the leaping the Jedi and Sith did and that wasn't much. A double was used for Lee only when it came to running backwards, since his legs aren't what they used to be. Yoda was the only other CGI creation during the fight sequence.

21. Kryatt_Dragon

Mar 15, 2002
    No because it's all opinion. Your opininon is one thing, mine is another. Same with Durwood and everyone else.

Having an opinion is one thing but so readily dismissing the possibility of other's opinions at every turn is another.

Saying someone's opinion based on very observable technical defects in a film lacks an ounce of credibility or supporting evidence is too quickly dismissive and indicates too much stubborn tenacity in defending one's own views.

Furthermore, it's one of the main reasons these threads can never elevate to the level of actual discussion.

22. Ultimate

Sep 14, 2000
    "yes I KNOW THEY WERE SHOT WITH REAL ACTORS. let me walk you through this one. first they film a fight, then they add the cg stunts after. just like they did with the force jump of obi and qui in TPM. remember when they dropped down from that high grate in the early part of the film? that was cg doubling. just like in other movies when they use real stuntmen. the real actors do some of the fighting, then stuntmen do the stunts. get it? its really not that complicated to understand."

Except for the fact that they wouldn't bother to film the principal actors doing the stunts (if you even consider swinging a lightsaber, rolling on the ground or running a stunt) if they were going to CG double them. Because it would add more work erasing them out. Sorry to burst your phony theory. But they filmed the fights in their entirety. If you look at the storyboards and the script you see that no CG stunt doubles were needed. If you look at set photos, movies and interviews you see that the actors rehearsed and filmed those scenes. They were cut for time. Most of the cut Mace/Jango stuff was cat and mouse stuff over weapons and various gun firing and lightsaber deflection shots, most of the cut stuff from the lightsaber duel was dialogue and lightsabers clashing. No extensive stunts. So go make up another reason. Again, any attempt into looking through the facts could have told you this.

"if you would think before you post next time, you wouldnt look so silly, especially when you use that condescending tone. "

Pot, kettle, black. Sorry I had to let truth get in the way of another sad attempt to crucify Lucas for stuff he never did.

23. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Why is it so hard for you to meet us half-way?

Because Dr. E's argument is ridiculous. "If I don't like two shots out of a film containing literally thousands of seamless effects then that must mean what was cut must have been truly aweful indeed!"

Frankly, I refuse to make the epic journey required to meet such outrageous logic "half way".

24. Ultimate

Sep 14, 2000
    Plus he keeps making wild accusations that can't be proved at all. Plus they have tons of evidence against them.

25. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    yes I KNOW THEY WERE SHOT WITH REAL ACTORS. let me walk you through this one. first they film a fight, then they add the cg stunts after. just like they did with the force jump of obi and qui in TPM. remember when they dropped down from that high grate in the early part of the film? that was cg doubling. just like in other movies when they use real stuntmen. the real actors do some of the fighting, then stuntmen do the stunts. get it? its really not that complicated to understand.

That's all well and good, Duck and Run, but you still have yet to provide any credible evidence that the fight scene was shortened specifically because Lucas thought these fantasy-fight-scene stunt doubles looked bad. We're not writing you off because we disagree with your opinion but because you are spouting off unfounded speculation in your endless mean-spirited crusade to smear Star Wars and its brilliant creator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.