main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Continuity with the special effects = NONE!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by hawk, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    meanwhile people will be watching the PT for 15 years, laughing at the wrong time because of how laughably bad some of it is, like they did both times i saw AOTC.

You saw it twice? Why see something again that you couldn't stand the first time? I just can't figure that one out. It's like some bashers are suckers for trying to make themselves miserable.

For the most part, I can't stand the EU and I stopped following any of the novels with Vector Prime.

But I don't go to a bookstore, buy the entire NJO and then hang out in the EU forum all day slamming how bad I think the books are and how I think the EU sucks.

EDIT: Imagine a prequel discussion board that contained only fans of the prequels where members can discuss the deeper implications of these amazing movies.

Good idea. When did the mods announce this? ;)

2. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Oh come on guys. Can we go one discussion without those tired anti-fan remarks. We are all fans here. You don't have to love everything about the PT to discuss it. I actually liked AOTC a lot but my criticisms here are on continuity more than quality. Just lay off each other for goodness sake. Broken records left, right and centre.

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Honestly, at this point I think it's pretty futile to discuss this because there is one whole chapter missing that could end up answering many of the questions being asked.

4. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Imagine a prequel discussion board that contained only fans of the prequels where members can discuss the deeper implications of these amazing movies.

I've seen threads with no "basher presence", in which the gushers eventually started bashing each other. That is the kind of forum you'd have without bashers. It might even be argued that this forum really doesn't have any bashers at all, it's just the more-critical Star Wars fans have been singled out by those who would rather insult others than discuss Star Wars.

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Anti "Fan" remarks? What about the anti "Fanship" remarks?

6. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "I realise that the PT has been made many years after the OT but the PT is so overkill with the special effects it is IMPOSSIBLE now for it to blend in with the OT. IF generations of fans tune in in ten years, they will be greeted with oberkill CGI in the PT only to be followed by the subtle and restrained OT.

Compare the effects. In AOTC, Corusant is littered with all sorts of CGI. The ships are overkill (Obi-Wan's fighter in two parts etc). When we finally get to the OT, people will say, what happened to the Clones repeater guns, the big laser guns and the super battle droids and the transforming fighters? What happened to the technology? What happened to the cloning? What happened to the huge armies of droids and clones? Why do we only see smaller (more realistic) armies when clones or droids should be plentiful? Where are the curved and double-bladed lightsabers?

The fact is, the PT is a lot about Lucas showing off his effects and his imagination. He is not interested in showing restraint and the PT will suffer for it. Shame."

The Man(GL) wanted to film the OT's the way he is filming the PT's but he couldn't cause of the time he was filming in. The movies are 16 YEARS APART of course they will look and feel different but that is how GL always wanted all 6 to look. Bring on more CGI OVERKILL in EP-3 GL and may the force be with you.

7. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    It's DR.E again with his, "hey i know movies more than you, and AOTC sucked, so if you liked it, you must be stupid or something, i'm the only one that knows how good or bad it is"

8. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "Compare the scene where the Imperials are sitting around discussing the Rebels in comparison to Dooku talking to all those aliens. Which is more subtle? Lucas could have easily littered that scene in ANH with creatures or devices but instead chose the actors to do all the work for him."

Well, no. In one scene we're dealing with an all human group of imperials and in another we're seeing a group that are composed of members of many different systems, a plot point that had to be put across. What would Lucas have done in 1983? Put them all in rubber masks. So what's the difference?

Quote:
    "Secondly, Lucas had the chance to update the end battle of Yavin and he did. Did he litter the screen with hundreds of fighters? This would have been an easy task."

Well not really. Anyone who has seen the differences between the SE's and the originals knows that they didn't go all out. They just added a few things here and there. Increasing the scale of the Yavin battle would have involved reshooting the entire scene, including changing lines of dialogue. They weren't prepared for that. Anyway, I'm starting to lose your aguement. Are you saying that Lucas has gone mad in the one year between shooting the SEs and the PT?

Quote:
    "But these limitations of effects allowed for smaller scale battles where we could see the plight of individual fighters and actually feel something for them."

Ok, now you're arguing that the plight of Padme, Anakin, Obi Wan, Mace, Yoda, and the droids were less compelling than that of Luke, Porkins, Biggs, that one stiff guy, that other old guy, and that other monotone guy? Come on.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What I said about the T-16 was that it was his vehicle for speed. His landspeeder was for transportation. And as you can see in AOTC, his speeder is over 22 years old. Probably even older. That's what I meant.

The Stormtroopers that were seen behind those that Han chased down the corrider, were they CGI or not?

10. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Secondly, Lucas had the chance to update the end battle of Yavin and he did. Did he litter the screen with hundreds of fighters? This would have been an easy task.

First of all, I'm not sure where you guys have gotten the idea that doing special effects are easy. It takes a lot of work to do the kind of visual effects work we see in Star Wars. A computer just makes it possible to do different things, not necessarily make the work easier.

But to the battle of Yavin, Lucas did increase the size of the X-Wing fleet. The original version showed about 10 or 12 ships in the opening shot, so he went back and increased the number to about 30.

But then look at Return Of The Jedi's space battle sequence. That was on a much larger scale, and I suspect that if Lucas had had 1983 technology in 1977 then the Battle of Yavin would have been considerably more spectacular, let alone if he had today's technology!

11. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "You saw it twice? Why see something again that you couldn't stand the first time?"

because i couldnt believe it was actually that bad and wanted to give it a second chance. it was worse the second time.

"It's DR.E again with his, "hey i know movies more than you, and AOTC sucked, so if you liked it, you must be stupid or something, i'm the only one that knows how good or bad it is" "

i said people were stupid and im the only one who knows how good or bad it is? where? i can, however, point to plenty of people who tell fans who didnt like the PT, either didnt understand it or dont get what lucas is doing.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

We were talking about the way Lucas is polishing up the saga's effects since '77. The prequel effects are top notch compared to the hit or miss effects used in the classic trilogy. It's very, very noticable now, but I think Lucas is going to re-invent the classic trilogy for the archival editions, with better cuts, a brand new score by Williams, and effects touch ups and redos to make everything seem like one single 12-14 hour movie.

edit: added second "very".

13. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    >>>because i couldnt believe it was actually that bad and wanted to give it a second chance. it was worse the second time.<<<

You probably still won't believe how bad it is AGAIN when you buy the movie this November .

14. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

We were talking about the way Lucas is polishing up the saga's effects since '77. The prequel effects are top notch compared to the hit or miss effects used in the classic trilogy. It's very noticable now, but I think Lucas is going to re-invent the classic trilogy for the archival editions, with better cuts, a brand new score by Williams, and effects touch ups and redos to make everything seem like one single 12-14 hour movie.

You know, why doesnt he just throw the whole thing away and start from scratch? Seeing as he hates it so much, he should just re-make it entirely on the computer. Then he wont have anything to whinge and he can pretend that the OT was something that wasnt made until after the PT. Thing is, I dont see why he hates something that the rest of the world so universally loved.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    No you guys are the ones who seem to hate everything, Lucas loves it enough to finish it properly.

16. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    Whatever.

17. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Thing is, I dont see why he hates something that the rest of the world so universally loved.

Please provide the quote where George Lucas says he hates Star Wars. And I want a quote where he specifically says, "I hate Star Wars."

18. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    If you're not "in tune" with how Lucas works and the guy just plain bugs you, maybe it's time to leave this saga behind.

More changes will come. I don't know to what extent, but some things will change. Save yourself some grief and walk.

19. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    I honestly don't know how improving a film who's special effects are 20 years old implies that one hates the orignal work.

20. RogueTrader

Feb 7, 2002
    Since most bashers agree that the joy of the OT is the story, updating the effects shouldn't be an issue.

21. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    I dont have a problem with updating the effects. Its just there is more to film making than constantly devoting the entire time on special effects the way HE does, because in 20 years time they'll just need updating again.

If he just spent half as much time on the plot and character development, we'd be a whole lot better.

22. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Honestly, I think you guys spend more time bitching about the special effects than Lucas does thinking about them. To him they're just one of many tools he uses to tell his stories.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I am sure Lucas puts more thought into the story than these guys put into complaining about it. They say Lucas is overlooking the story and focusing on the effects, when really, that's just what they are doing. They don't see the substance, so they assume it isn't there.

But hey, you get what you put in right?

24. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Since most bashers agree that the joy of the OT is the story, updating the effects shouldn't be an issue."

problem is when lucas does things like make greedo shoot first... that starts to change the story and the nature of the characters.

and i have no plans on buying the dvd. the movie sucked, i already explained why i saw it twice. dont need to be burned a third time, thanks.

"I am sure Lucas puts more thought into the story than these guys put into complaining about it."

what makes you sure how much thought he puts into any of it? you dont know him yet you always seem to be reading his mind.

"They say Lucas is overlooking the story and focusing on the effects, when really, that's just what they are doing. They don't see the substance, so they assume it isn't there.

But hey, you get what you put in right?"

right back at you gomer... you get what you put in... ie, substance that just isnt there, or a paucity of it that is apparently enough to satisfy fans of your ilk.

25. force_storm663

force_storm663 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2002
    If he just spent half as much time on the plot and character development, we'd be a whole lot better.

"I...I killed them. They're dead. Every single one of them. Not just the men, the women and the children too. They're animals and I slaughtered them like animals! I HATE THEM!"

This isn't deep enough? There's thousands of PT quotes I could put up here that would totally dismiss your post. And you've totally contradicted what this post was about in the first place. He spends alot of time perfecting the OT effects to make it look more like the PT so continuity freaks don't bitch. Star Wars is Lucas's baby, he doesn't hate it, he makes it the way HE wants it. It doesn't matter if you like it or not, he's giving the true fans that don't complain about every little pixel of difference than what they think it should be a complete story. Sure he could have stopped with the OT, but he wanted to see HIS vision to the end, and for that I say more power to him.

To put this quite simply, if you don't like the PT, don't come to PT boards and trash it. There's a fine line between discussion and put-downs, try not to cross it.

EDIT: Where are the curved and double-bladed lightsabers?

Probably extinct like the Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.