[Controversial Thread #2] Abortion is necessary

Discussion in 'Big Brother 5' started by malkieD2, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Always a hot topic.

Obviously sex education is paramount to ensure youngsters are fully aware of the options open to them to prevent pregnacy should they choose to participate in sexual activities. However, unplanned pregancies don't really benefit society, and can lead to a burden on social services, parents and grandparents.

Modern techniques allow us to detect certain genetic disorders (such as Edwards Syndrome) during a period when it is possible to abort. Which do you think is the better option ? Abortion at an early stage, or carry to full term watch them die painfully over a few hours after birth ?

The above ignores the obvious healthcare issues to the mother, which is especially important if she current has other children to support.

Finally we have the potential unwanted pregnacies from rape victims, which is a rather unfortunate point to make, but a valid one nevertheless.
  2. TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master

star 6
    Rape victims should keep the child as well, and force the "father" to pay for it. The attitude should be: "You did this to me, you got this, so you pay for it!"

3. Fire_Ice_Death Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I support abortion wholeheartedly but I find the practice a bit off-putting personally. I support the right to choose how you wish to live your life and that includes getting an abortion even though I'm personally against it. Mainly on the basis that birth control while not 100% effective, if it's used properly and you use more than one then you don't even need to get an abortion. Unless you have genetic testing done.

Then you make the slippery slope folks who've seen Gattaca nervous.
  4. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    I agree in that I don't think it's a great idea, infact it does some with some of it's own risks. However, I'm of the opinion that it's necessary to avoid situations that no one (including the unborn child) doesn't want.

wouldn't him being in prison make that slightly difficult? (or haven't you thought this through properly).

edit

plus everything the two people below me said
  5. Fire_Ice_Death Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Interesting theory Arlon. Of course it negates the fact that the child is a constant reminder of quite possibly the most horrible moment in the woman's life, but hey, girlfriend's gonna get paid. Amiright?
  6. imperial_dork Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Do you want to be the one to tell a 15-year that she has to (at the very least) carry to term a 9 month, daily reminder of the horror she experienced through no fault of her own? Oh, but I'm sure she'd be perfectly okay with it as long as the bills were paid.
  7. Fire_Ice_Death Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    [face_love]
  8. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight

star 8
    Are you ****ing kidding me?

What's your suggestion for gang rape, genus?

Split up the *** damn child support amongst a bunch of guys that thought no means yes?

That is by far the weakest argument I've ever heard attempted to excuse not getting an abortion, if raped.
  9. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    While I'm completely against abortion in most cases, I don't believe we should make it illegal.

We should make it a priority to educate our public (especially the lower-income areas) to avoid as many unwanted pregnancies as possible, and improve welfare and education systems to make life with a baby tolerable/possible/preferable to mothers in the crappy situations described.
  10. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    are you suggesting that poor people are dumb?

also, where is amanda ?
  11. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    Unfortuantely there is a correlation between income and education.:(
  12. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    correlation =/= causation

but start your own thread plz
  13. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    Oops.
    Causation in that case.
    At elast there was abck when I was at Uni. I doubt much has changed.

This thread is not really controversial. Everybody is agreeing.[face_plain] And I am too lazy to play advocatus diaboli
  14. zacparis VIP

star 7
    [image=http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/paris-hilton-picture-1.jpg]
  15. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    I vote for post-natal abortion up to the 30th year.[face_plain]
  16. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    can you support that with some sort of evidence ?
  17. zacparis VIP

star 7
    No no, I'm not saying she should have been. That's just nasty. :p

It was just a dumb =/= poor post.
  18. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    I know it's nasty. :p

If you're happy with what I remember from abck then, I can retell that.
    Other than that I just don't care enough to go hunting for online evidence.
  19. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    then don't post sweeping generalisations online unless you are willing to go to some lengths to support them
  20. harpua Chosen One

star 9
    I am one hundred percent pro choice...

... I will say that females who have multiple abortions due to iresponsability / lack of birth contaol, when it is pretty much readily available / free, sicken me, I am still one hundred percent pro choice.

Here is what I have come up with... woman / girl becomes pregnant, due to rape, lack of contreception, ignorance, etc... whatever. First abortion is free... BUT there must be a six month contreception / sex / responsibility class attended... one per week, before the cost is covered... otherwise, the cost is left to the patient entirely.

My beef...

I hear this a lot... from the same people, usually... PRO LIFE, PRO LIFE... BLAHY BLAH!!

Thing is, those who are screaming for pro life are generally the same people who are against socialized medicine, welfare, section 8 houseing, food stamps...

..So wait... you are fighting for this fetus'/ infant's life.... but once it is born, it is on its own... no help? No assistance?

A bit hypocritical?
  21. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    sorry, malkie, I always assume people have some kind of knowledge to back up their statements they post.

Here:
    http://www.gender.hu-berlin.de/w/files/ztg_bulletin_2930/stompe_annelie__armut_und_bildung__pisa_im_spiegel_sozialer_ungleichheit_bulletin_2930.pdf
  22. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    firstly, sorry, but you are the one posting random comments without providing evidence to support them - where did I do the same, and I'll provide evidence.

secondly, linking to a 13 page document in German doesn't count for anything. What point is the article making, and which specific paragraph supports the point you are making, and can you translate please. Please don't post a lame arguement that somehow I'm ignorant because I don't speak German. English is the accepted language on these boards (and the most popular in the world).

so, what you got?
  23. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    Wait.
    You won't take my word for it, but you'd take my word, if I referenced a document you can't read?o_O
  24. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    no. what on earth makes you think that ?
  25. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    The way you told me to use the text as back up for my claims?
    Because why should I use the text to prove my point if it didn't help?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.