main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Convalescence - Pre ESB H/L, AU - COMPLETED (But...you can choose your own ending! Check it out!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LadyPadme, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Star Wars Universe. It all belongs to Uncle George.

Premise: While returning from a mission to Echo Base, Han and Leia encounter trouble and are forced to take the Millennium Falcon on an emergency landing...

All right, guys, this is the first fic I've started where I have absolutely no idea where this is going. Not even an outline. The idea just came to me last night while I was watching Friends, although it has nothing to do with that show; my plot bunnies just show up at odd times. I feel like I'm in unchartered territory without having anything planned, though :eek: . In any case, since this is unplanned, the updates are also going to be dicey. Please bear with me.

I also can't believe I broke down and started posting on this board...Grr....

2. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Convalescence

Chapter One

?Turn on full power to the rear shields!?

Leia Organa quickly adjusted the shielding as Han Solo took the Millennium Falcon on another steep, banking turn.

?The shield isn?t going to hold much longer,? Leia said. ?You?ve got to get us out of here!?

?There?s an asteroid field all around us in case Your Worship hasn?t noticed,? Han said, unable to keep the slight sarcasm out of his voice. ?I?m working on it!?

?Well, whatever you do, do it a little faster!? Leia snapped, as she bent over the controls trying to adjust the shielding some more. ?Damn it! Where?s Artoo when you need him??

Han shook his head and took the Falcon on another sharp swerve just narrowly avoiding an asteroid.

They had just completed their mission in the mid-Rim planet of Renalo, where Leia had met with underground resistance workers and organized them into a new Alliance cell; upon leaving Renalo, they had made a brief stop on Cijex where Leia contacted one more Alliance cell, and then planned to head to Kashyyyk to pick up Chewbacca who was enjoying a brief trip home to see his wife, Mallatobuck.

Just after leaving the Cijex gravity well, the Millennium Falcon was attacked by an Imperial Star Destroyer and its contingent of a dozen TIE fighters. With his retreat into hyperspace blocked, Han fled toward Cijex?s neighboring planet of Sajex, an enormous gas giant surrounded by an inhospitable asteroid ring.

The Star Destroyer was unable to follow the Falcon into the asteroid field, but the TIE fighters had been chasing maniacally. The chase was becoming desperate, although in their fanatical pursuit of the Millennium Falcon, ten of the TIE fighters had already crashed. The Star Destroyer remained outside the asteroid field tracking the Falcon?s progress and firing in large laser pulses whenever it could.

Two more TIE fighters remained, but as Han continued skimming the Falcon close over the surfaces of the larger of the asteroids, one more TIE fighter, unable to control the spin also crashed.

?Rear port shield is down to ten percent,? Leia reported.

Han was starting to get a little desperate, although he would die before he would admit this to Leia. Another laser blast hit the Falcon, and a light flashed on the control panel.

?What?s that?? Leia asked.

?Rear stabilizer is out. Damn!? Han guided the Falcon toward another of the larger asteroids. This one was hollowed out through the center and almost the size of a moon. The Falcon shot into the tunnel, which had innumerable twists and turns. They could not see the TIE fighter behind them, and with the solid iron makeup of the asteroid, it was difficult to sense the fighter through the tunnel walls, but both Han and Leia knew the TIE was behind them.

Around one turn in the tunnel was a branched alcove. From this segment they could see the exit end of the tunnel. Han flipped the Falcon into the alcove, and set the ship against the alcove wall, quickly extinguishing all but the emergency and defense systems.

As the TIE flashed past them, Han sent out a neutrino missile, which shot out and caught the TIE fighter just beyond the exit site of the tunnel. The TIE exploded in a brilliant shower of light.

?You think they?ll be fooled?? Leia asked, referring to the ruse that Han had pulled. The Falcon would no longer appear on the sensors of the Star Destroyer and with that explosion it would give the Destroyer?s captain a good reason to believe that the Falcon had been destroyed.

?We?ll have to wait and see,? Han replied.

?How long do we have to wait here??

?I would wait at least overnight.?

?Overnight!?

?They?re going to send out more TIEs to look for us.?

?I told you to leave the planet from the night side,? Leia snapped, as she started feeling the strain from the chase. And now to have her return to Echo Base delayed by one more day?

?That Star Destroyer was waiting for us!? Han replied, hanging

3. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    I got the first review!! Looking good! And the Saga board isn't so bad-at least you're not falling over J/J fics.
    I love this period for fics, and yours are always good ones, LadyPadmeDon't tell us you killed Han? But the title is 'Convalescence', soo...don't live up to your [face_devil], huh?

Cat

4. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    All right, guys, this is the first fic I've started where I have absolutely no idea where this is going. Not even an outline.

*Looks sheepish* That's how I write everything. Then again, I never finish anything. Anyway... Looks like LadyPadme's flying by the seat of her pants! (What a weird expression.)

I also can't believe I broke down and started posting on this board...Grr....

Ma'am, the possibility of successfully finding a Han/Leia fic on the JCF Saga Board is approximately three thousand, seven hundred and twenty to one... (Coincidentally, those happens to be the same odds of successfully navigating through an asteriod field!)

So, quite frankly, LP, I'm glad you've posted here, hehe.

As for the story...

I'm a tad nervous about the fact that Han's unconscious. However, "convalescence" means a gradual return to health (according to dictionary.com). Plus, if Han died right off the bat, it wouldn't be much of a Han/Leia fic, would it? I'm hoping Princess Leia will get to become Nurse Organa... *Giggles* Oh! I've got it! Han and Leia will get to play doctor, right?! Eehee...

By the way, great start, LadyPadme. :)

5. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Good start, LP. I'm interested to see where you take this. Will Leia have to play nurse?

6. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Oooh! LP's started a new fic!!! *bounces*

Good work! If we get posts as often as "In Love and War", I'll be happy! :D

7. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    HM.... a new story by LP...... umm... COUNT ME IN!
    great post! Looks like a great story! Hope to see more...
    DM

8. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    And here I was thinking this would be a vignette, LP! A whole shiny new story to read! :D I'm glad you've started posting here. I prefer the one board setup myself, but sometimes you've just got to work with what you have.

Good start! You know it's love when Han lets Leia fly the Falcon. Why is Han unconscious, btw? Did he hit his head, or is he sick? Or am I missing something extremely obvious due to sleep deprivation? I'll check back for the answer later. :p :D

9. KatarnLead

Oct 5, 2002
    *bounces*

I've got it Gabri - it was Leia's piloting! :p

10. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    Looking Good! :)

11. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Gr8 start ladypadme. I hope Leia becomes a nurse. (hellooooooooooo nurse)

12. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Joy! It's another H/L fic by LP!

Featuring Injured! Han and Worried! Leia.

What, is posting on the saga board bad? Why am I so lost when it comes to these different boards? *sigh*

Ah, well, this is sure to be fun- and LP can't torture us outright because she's not even sure where she's going! Mwahaha!

13. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    OH, fun! Please post again soon. You're a master at writing H/L. :)

14. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    KatarnLead: *narrows eyes* Is that a 'women drivers' crack, Burkie?

*rereads story after getting some much needed sleep* Oh, no, I suppose it was Leia's piloting, wasn't it? All right, Burkie, you're safe -- for now. ;) :p

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice start, LadyPadme! It's great to see another Han/Leia story from you. :)

16. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    LadyPadme: I'm continually amazed at how prolific a writer you are. I'm doubly thankful that you are a huge Han/Leia fan. This is a promising start for however you choose to go with this story. Seeing as how it is an AU, I like the Han as patient, Leia as nurse angle others have mentioned. It could be quite interesting depending on how long Han is unconscious. Will keep an eye out for more of this story. :)

17. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I love stories that have Han injured and Leia taking care of him and vice-versa, too. And, it's pre-ESB! WooHoo! :D

I'm almost glad you are gonna make this up as you go along ;) because it allows you to twist the plot in ways you may not have thought of if you had already planned it out. It may take longer between posts, but it's worth it. :)

Good idea about Leia getting a chance to become more familiar with flying the Falcon and ending up knocking Han out. She 'decked' him without even being in the same room. ;)

Excellent start, LadyPadme! :D

J_Girl

18. KatarnLead

Oct 5, 2002
    Gabri - you should know by now (and what I said on previous occasions in In Love And War), that I would never say anything that would get me in trouble with a pack of kicking, screaming, scratching and...erm...well...badder stuff doing women!

*whistles innocently as conveniently skips away*

:p

19. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Sock_of_Darth_Vader: Thanks for being the first poster!

the title is 'Convalescence', soo...don't live up to your [face_devil] , huh?

- Well, I won't do that yet, but you do understand that I don't feel life is worth living unless I can torture readers, right?

Puggy: Ma'am, the possibility of successfully finding a Han/Leia fic on the JCF Saga Board is approximately three thousand, seven hundred and twenty to one... (Coincidentally, those happens to be the same odds of successfully navigating through an asteriod field!)

* giggles *

I'm hoping Princess Leia will get to become Nurse Organa

- Let me just let you in on something early on...what I told Gabri about this fic. Usually I try to come up with a plot and have some mush in there. Here, my objective is to come up with mush and try to inject plot in there once in a while.

crystalrain: Yes...Leia does the nurse bit...

KatarnLead: Unfortunately, will not be able to post as frequently as for ILAW but I've got a few posties ready.

- And remarks about females driving is VERY dangerous on this board.

DarthMasan: * laughs * Come on in...enjoy the ride!

Gabri_Jade: Yes...sigh...I know, I made Leia do the cliche thing by piloting the ship badly, but the operative word here is that she wanted experience! Can't fault her for at least wanting to take the initiative.

LovelyLea: Thanks.

Yazid_Skywalker: Thanks!

Sunshine: What, is posting on the saga board bad? Why am I so lost when it comes to these different boards? *sigh*

- I was against the creation of a split board in the first place, so I quickly put up Dancing in Pescopine Bay onto the classic board so that I wouldn't have to come here. This plot bunny, however, thumped on my head and wouldn't allow me to rest unless I posted, so...here I am...

valsolo: New postie coming soon!

HanSolo29: Thanks!

SoloFan: Ah...but Han being unconscious for long won't make a fun story, will it...unless you guys are dying for me to write descriptive posts of Leia giving Han a spongebath.

This fic will be a lot naughtier than what I've written before. I hope it doesn't get mod-ed off the boards...

J_Girl: Good idea about Leia getting a chance to become more familiar with flying the Falcon and ending up knocking Han out. She 'decked' him without even being in the same room.

- LOL, I never even thought of it that way!!

More coming right away.

20. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

So...funny thing about plot bunnies...I was having a dry spell and then this one came along. I wrote the first two posts in my hotel and then on the Acela between South Station and Penn Station pounded out three more posts. So...at this point, will attempt to post on a Monday/Friday schedule until I run out of steam. Enjoy!

Chapter Two

Han was alive. For that much, at least, Leia was thankful. She quickly ascertained that he had a pulse and that he was breathing. She examined him quickly and found a nasty concussion on the back of his head. Examining further, she found that when she pressed on his right chest, this elicited a reflex moan, although he did not wake up. Leia pulled up Han?s shirt and saw a nasty bruise starting to form on his right lower chest and wondered if he had cracked the ribs underneath. She thought briefly about moving him toward his cabin in the back, but paused, worried that he might have injured his neck or spine. As Leia wondered what to do next she suddenly remembered the first aid kit that Han kept in the back compartments.

Leia raced toward the back of the ship and reached the small compartment where the first aid kit was located. The kit was in a large durasteel tempered case, and was well stocked. As she opened the kit, she blessed Han?s foresight and organization as she quickly catalogued the contents. She took out the scanner first and returned to the lounge. Moving the scanner over Han, she saw that he definitely had a concussion with a hematoma forming near his left occipital region but there was no subdural or subarachnoid bleeding, which could have been fatal; two of his ribs were cracked but they were uncomplicated fractures and the ribs were each only fractured in one place. Further evaluation revealed a broken left ankle as well. Otherwise, there were just varied bruises over the rest of his body.

?Where are the damned Two-One-Bees when you need them?? Leia muttered irately, feeling almost shrewish in her relief that there were no more serious injuries. She looked down at Han and her brow puckered into a worried frown. She reached out and gently brushed a stray lock of Han?s hair off his forehead. It was something she would not do to save her life if Han had been awake, but she found herself doing it instinctively, and with tenderness, now.

A few moments later, Leia caught herself, abruptly. What was she doing sitting here acting like a sentimental schoolgirl? She had work to do! She reached for the scanner and began to study the readouts on the scanner, which gave her instructions on what to do for Han?s injuries. Following the instructions, Leia quickly went to work.

Two hours later, she sat down next to Han?s bunk inside his cabin and checked on him one more time. She was exhausted but felt a sense of relief and some accomplishment. She leaned back tiredly in the chaise lounge next to Han?s bed, and felt the tension ease out of her back. How she had managed to drag eighty kilos of adult male across the lounge and get him into his bed, she was not sure, but somehow she had done it. She had taken off Han?s shirt, profoundly grateful that he was unconscious during this entire procedure. Then, with the bitter regret and wish that she had learned more of the healing arts when she was younger, she read through the instructions on the scanner; she wrapped the back of Han?s head and chest in bacta bandages, fashioned a crude bacta cast around Han?s ankle, and inserted an intravenous line into Han?s arm to give him hydration, struggling to control her squeamishness as she punctured the vein. She had to do this three times before she could successfully cannulate the vein and she was ready to cry in despair before she finally had a successful line placed and secured.

Now, Han was lying peacefully on his back; his breathing, which had been more ragged and uneven when she had found him in the lounge, had now evened out into smooth, slow breaths. He had been moving a little while Leia administered to him, and had ac

21. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Hey, it's still cinqo de mayo where I am, but all the better for me...

Han's got boo-boos! And many of them! Good think Leia is a quick thinker and remembers where the first-aid kit was (now, if only she could remember where the darn second-aid kit was, she'd be ahead of the game!)

Great postie, LP, and I'm anxiously awaiting mas.

22. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Wondaful dahlink! Can't believe I missed this. Slap me. Fan-bloody-tastic. More more more.

Oh, and Leia-- take the opportunity to kiss his boo-boos while he's out cold.

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Awesome post, LadyPadme! :) I can't wait for more!

24. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Oooh, I really like the direction this is taking! :) And complete with accurate medical terms! I was so proud of myself for knowing occipital, subdural, and subarachnoid! I'm actually glad I took that anantomy course back in the day (ok, watching ER doesn't hurt, either ;) )

I love the way Leia took the chance to really check him out and without his shirt, too! Lucky Princess!

Thanks for that, LadyPadme! :D

J_Girl

25. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Your stories are amazing, LadyPadme. I'm hooked on this one. I don't think too many of us would mind if you described Leia giving Han a sponge bath, especially if Han was awake for it. Will tune in Friday for an update. Great work!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.