main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Convalescence - Pre ESB H/L, AU - COMPLETED (But...you can choose your own ending! Check it out!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LadyPadme, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Moving the scanner over Han, she saw that he definitely had a concussion with a hematoma forming near his left occipital region but there was no subdural or subarachnoid bleeding, which could have been fatal; two of his ribs were cracked but they were uncomplicated fractures and the ribs were each only fractured in one place. Further evaluation revealed a broken left ankle as well. Otherwise, there were just varied bruises over the rest of his body.

*laughs* Trust LP to put something like that in there!

Great post, LP. You've got a very interesting setup here... ;) [face_devil]

I look forward to reading more! :D

2. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    you do understand that I don't feel life is worth living unless I can torture readers, right?

It is my new goal in life to someday write a story that tortures readers as well as yours do, LP. :D

he definitely had a concussion with a hematoma forming near his left occipital region but there was no subdural or subarachnoid bleeding, which could have been fatal; two of his ribs were cracked but they were uncomplicated fractures and the ribs were each only fractured in one place. Further evaluation revealed a broken left ankle as well. Otherwise, there were just varied bruises over the rest of his body.

*clutches head in both hands* The occupational hazards of reading stories written by doctors.... *looks for Tylenol*

. She had to do this three times before she could successfully cannulate the vein and she was ready to cry in despair before she finally had a successful line placed and secured.

*shivers* I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences with needle-wielding nurses where I was ready to cry in despair myself. (This isn't a description of you as an intern by any chance, is it? ;) )

it was his lips where her gaze lingered the longest. They were full and sensual; Leia had always privately thought they were too sensual for a man and bespoke experience with women that no decent man should have. Leia felt her heart beating rapidly, and felt somewhat breathless as she let herself wonder, briefly, what those lips would feel like on hers.

Good heavens, woman! *fans self* When you write mush, you write MUSH!

I can't believe you have so much written already! Wish I wrote as fast as you. Nice mushy post! :D

3. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    LP - I said nothing! Honest! :D

Good postie, too. Very nice.

Gabri - the only thing worse than bad experinces with needle-weilding nurses are bad experiences with needle-weilding nurses that have no sympathy. :eek: I still have the marks to prove it, 16 yrs on! :eek: :eek:

4. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Phew. He's alive. Lol at Leia patching him up, and all the lovingly descibed injuries :D At least the catheter and biospy gun haven't put in an appearance yet ;) ;)

Leia: You want him and you know it. [face_devil]

5. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I can't even pronounce half those medical terms, let alone understand what they mean, LOL! Dictionaries are my dear friends...

When I read the first chapter, I somehow completely missed the "AU" plastered into the subject line, whoops... That changes things a little... Makes things scarier, heh.

Anyway, I loved the second chapter. And I'm glad that you said in your replies that this will be "mush with plot injected." I'm ready for some mushyness... Han/Leia fanfic-mush has (depressingly) been the highlight of many of my days...

6. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    poor Han... he got a bit bruised this time... ;)
    jeje cant wait for more!
    DM

7. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    I sure hope Han gets better before Leia do something stupid. Great post!

8. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    This is looking very interesting, LadyPadme. I look forward to the next post. :)

9. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Sunshine: Hey, it's still cinqo de mayo where I am

- It's my one big affectation. I always predate my posts.

RogueSticks: Thanks.I'll make sure to pass the message on to Leia.

HanSolo29: Thanks.

J_Girl: And complete with accurate medical terms

* giggles * I had to show it off at least once.

Solo_Fan: * LP thinks hard trying to figure out a way to describe the sponge bath without being mod-ed and banned from the boards... *

crystalrain: See above answer to J_Girl ;)

Gabri_Jade: I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences with needle-wielding nurses where I was ready to cry in despair myself. (This isn't a description of you as an intern by any chance, is it?)

* laughs * Actually, I was worse as an intern. I remember sticking some poor guy 10 times to get his IV in. And as a third year resident I had to do a lumbar puncture on a woman with REALLY severe kyphoscoliosis (an S-shaped spine (literally S-shaped!), that was also hump backed.) My intern and I stuck this poor woman for an hour before we finally called for back-up and when medical consult walked in the room he asked me where Candid Camera was. She had to get it done under fluoroscopy in the radiology suite the next day. Moral of the story--don't go to inner city teaching hospitals in July.

KatarnLead: I've had some scary nurses wield needles at me, too...but I'm in no position to complain...

Puggy: Have discussed this next post with Gabri_Jade. I believe this one will make you explode... ;)

DarthMasan: Thanks!

Yazid_Skywalker: Have more faith in Leia!!

Sologal: Thanks!

Next post coming right away...

10. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Chapter Three

Han woke up a day and a half later. He was very groggy and felt dizzy and headachy. As he slowly opened his eyes, feeling very disoriented, he wondered what he?d been drinking that could have given him such a severe hangover.

He tried to raise his head but felt so dizzy and nauseous that he quickly lay back down again, trying to calm the sensation that the room around him was spinning out of control.

?Don?t move. You?re not well enough.?

The voice was low and gentle with dulcet undertones. Han felt more confusion. It was a familiar voice. Very familiar?and yet, something was so different about the voice. ?Wh?whu??

?You took a nasty tumble, Han.?

Han. She had said his name. It was a woman, and she knew him, and he should know her, too, but somehow he couldn?t quite place her from her voice. Above his head he could see the familiar paneling of the upper bulkheads of his cabin. Han realized he was on board the Millennium Falcon, and in his own bed, but how he had gotten here, he couldn?t quite remember. What was he doing on board the ship in the first place? He tried to roll his eyes around and take in the field of vision allowed to him in his recumbent position, but the movement made his eyes hurt and he quickly closed them. ?Who??

?Han!?

The voice was sharper, more strident this time. Now he suddenly felt he could place it. It was Leia?s voice.

?Leia?? Han asked, so disoriented that he spoke her name out loud for the first time since he?d met her. ?What happened?? the words came out thickly and with difficulty. Despite the intravenous line that was dripping maintenance fluids into his arm, he felt so thirsty his throat was raw.

Leia must have noticed the difficulty he had in speaking. Almost immediately, she had a cup of water at his lips and she was supporting his head as she helped him drink it. It was cool and infinitely refreshing. Han took a long, grateful swallow, gulping down all the water in the cup at once. After two days with no water though, Han?s stomach rebelled, and as soon as he drank down the water, he suddenly felt sick. He began to splutter; coughing, gagging and retching.

In a flash, Leia was holding his head over the side of the bed, as he gagged and dry-retched for a few moments, and then she helped him to lay back on the bed, wiping his mouth down as he lay back.

?You okay?? Leia asked.

Han nodded, or tried to, feeling that he was living in a twilight zone. His head ached as though a clamp had been placed around it, and the same went for his chest. When he had been retching, it felt as though someone had stuck sharp pincers into the ribs on his right side. His left foot felt as though it had been weighted down with a ferrocrete block. What had happened to him? And what was going on with Leia? Why was she being so nice? ?What happened?? he managed to ask.

?You don?t remember?? Leia asked.

?No.?

Briefly, Leia outlined his accident and the fact that he had a concussion, fractured ribs and two fractured anklebones. Han?s memory of the events leading up to his accident was gone and he wanted to ask her why they were still on board the Falcon, but then a wave of dizziness and nausea swept over him, and he lay back, closing his eyes. Before he realized what had happened, he had drifted off into a deep slumber again.

Han did not awaken until the next morning, when Leia entered the cabin with a small tray. His head still ached, but already felt much better than it had before. He tried to sit up, but again he felt the pain in his side and his leg as he tried to move.

Almost immediately, Leia was at his side again. Swiftly, she put the tray on his desk and helped him to sit up, propping a couple of pillows for him.

?How are you feeling?? Leia asked.

Han looked up and saw the concern in her eyes and felt a wave of confusion roll over him. Gods, would he ever understand this woman? One moment, she was biting his head off, insulting him with every weapon in her formidable

11. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    O, neato, first post!

I love the stereotype (for lack of a better word) that Leia can't cook. I think it's hysterical. Lots of women--myself included: I once burned soup and I can't use the microwave--can't cook. Besides, cooking wasn't really a skill Leia would need. I bet everyone assumed she'd live her entire life on Alderaan, with the servants and the like.

Fav line:
    During that week, Han had realized, to his despair that he loved her.

So, so true. :)

Great update--I loved the banter between Han and Leia, especially the dimple comment. *Giggles*

12. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Definitely a goofy grin post, LP. :D You're pretty good at UST yourself, m'dear. Nice line you gave Leia there. ;) It'll be very interesting to see just how mushy you make this -- because I know you're not stopping here. :D

*shivers over LP's needle stories* You're not exactly helping me get over my needle phobia. :eek:

KatarnLead: Good heavens, Burkie! :eek: I don't have any scars, but I always get bruises after a blood test. Once I had a lump form on the inside of my elbow after having blood drawn. I had awful visions of internal bleeding until it went down. *shivers again*

13. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    RogueSticks reporting in Magneto-helmet free. No more psych wards for me. ;-)

This post made me incessently thirsty. And not just because of the water Leia gave Han. I think I was overhearting or something. Delicious sexual tension. ::skips off in search of water::

14. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Great post... I look forward to reading more :D

15. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I am definitely liking where this is going- the banter between them is just so real...and can someone give me the address of that HoloNet site?? :)

16. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    ?What?what exactly did you do??

?I took pictures to display over the holonet.?

?What??

That was priceless, LP

*sigh* Why does no one think poor Leia can cook? I don't get it! I mean, I think she can't either, but I don't see why she couldn't! I mean, sure, it's not something most people would teach a princess to do- but, heck, most princesses don't wind up in the rebellion... performing first aid on a really, really hot guy.

Lots of women--myself included: I once burned soup and I can't use the microwave--can't cook.

Puggy, you haven't heard the half of my cooking escapades. I mean, I'm the only person I know who can follow a brownie recipe from the back of a mix and manage to make them taste like bricks. The only thing I can make that is safe is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

17. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Puggy: I love the stereotype (for lack of a better word) that Leia can't cook.

- I think it makes sense that someone who's been eating food prepared by other people all her life would be a disaster in the kitchen.

Gabri_Jade: Thanks! I'm so happy that you liked the UST--I still think you do it better.

As for needle-horror stories, I've got tons. I forgot to tell you about the guy I once had to get a line into in the ICU. He started screaming, "Help! Fire!" and then clocked me on the head. There are tons more...

RogueSticks: Here...LP hands a glass of ice-cold water ;)

crystalrain: Thanks.

Miska: That's http://www.hansdimple.net

Just kidding!

Sunshine: I think a normal person has strengths and weaknesses. I had to make her be able to patch up Han, otherwise, he'd be in big trouble. If you look back at the post, though, you'll see I also described the cast on Han's ankle as looking like something made by someone who failed primer class. ;)

More Monday.

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice! That post had me laughing! Keep up the great work! :)

19. KatarnLead

Oct 5, 2002
    ?What?what exactly did you do??

?I took pictures to display over the holonet.?

HA! [face_laugh] Absolute classic! Nice postie, LP! Real good stuff!

But this is just too precious to pass up.

And for you, Gabri.

Han's got a dimple, on his butt I presume. We're talking about needles. I mentioned my needle horror story.

Thankfully I was only 18mths old at the time. But I got seriously sick, and had to get 16 needles in one night. Unsympathetic nurse, grr!

[face_blush]

Erm...I now have 2 dimples on my butt that show where the 16 needles were jabbed (10 in one, 6 in the other, apparently)... :p

*changes subject* Ups! :D

20. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Very well-done post! I liked how the banter turned serious to funny in a heartbeat - just like the movie couple! I took pictures to display over the holonet. Wonderful.

I look forward to the slow recovery of Han...the better to romance her!

21. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Puggy, you haven't heard the half of my cooking escapades. I mean, I'm the only person I know who can follow a brownie recipe from the back of a mix and manage to make them taste like bricks. The only thing I can make that is safe is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Sunshine, we seem more and more alike every day. I once microwaved a Hershey's chocolate bar (because I hate them really hard and crunchy; I'd just taken it out of the fridge), with the aluminum foil side down (the waves of the microwave came from the bottom up). I was like seven, so you can imagine my horror as all of the sudden, the microwave starts making horrid noises and sparking. I actually microwaved the microwave--the waves bounced off the aluminum foil and reflected back down... Whoops. Oh, then one time I microwaved a styrofoam plate, which melted and sparked, too.

And one night, my mom refused to cook dinner (LOL) and I decided I'd cook myself some soup. After thirty minutes of trying to figure out the stupid electric can-opener, I poured the soup into a pan (I don't even think they're called pans, are they? The bowl-ish ones?), and as I went to read the soup label to learn what to do, I realized there was no label. We'd taken it off for my sister, because for some reason, she'd needed it for school. Well, I tried anyway. In the end, I didn't put in enough water, the soup was all gross, it started "burning," and I gave up and ate like a package of cookies or something.

Oh, and as for a PB&J... I can barely make those, too. I have problems with the peanut butter and I always put on too much jelly, LOL.

We're talking about needles. I mentioned my needle horror story.

*Shudders at KatarnLead's needle story* Ugh, I hate needles, and my experiencae aren't even half as bad as yours! I had my blood taken when I was eight, but I was stupid and thought they were just going to take my blood pressure. I screamed so loudly when the nurse jabbed this thick, long needle right into my arm that my five year old sister hid under a chair and my mom said I, "woke up the dead."

I've also been lied to by a doctor (why do doctors lie, LP? Any idea?). I got glass lodged in my foot when I was about thirteen, and my mom took me to get it taken out. They promised me they'd just use special tweezers and I'd be fine. Well, it wasn't that easy. I asked them, "No needles, right?" and they said "No, we won't need them." Liars. Next thing I knew, they stuck me with a numbing-needle and I completely freaked out! Then, about a year later, I had six (a few didn't even work, so I could feel them stitching my foot still) numbing injections in the foot...

*Cringe* I hate needles. I've always wondered if it will ever be possible to give vaccinations and take blood without those horrid things!

22. KatarnLead

Oct 5, 2002
    Aye, I opt for the oral vaccinations whenever I can... But the meningicocal vaccination is like this HUGE needle, and doesn't come in oral form yet... :eek:

But apart from that, if the doc ever gives me the chance of oral vaccinations before I travel, I'm like "GIMME THE PILLS!" :p

[edit] I'll just turn this into an UP! :D

23. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

HanSolo29: Thanks!

KatarnLead: Yikes! :eek:

Well, just be glad you never met me when I was an intern...

dianethx: Welcome to the thread! Thank you very much!

Puggy: You're really gonna crack up when you read my next post. The funny thing is I wrote it before you told stories of your culinary disasters.

More tomorrow night!

24. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Well... me and my friend Becca made brownies on Friday night. *giggles* Well... Becca's parents are health freaks. Which meant we got the recipe out of a Weight Watcher's cookbook.

Well, they didn't have real flour, so we used whole wheat.
    They didn't have butter, we used margarine.
    They didn't have sugar, so we used something along the lines of NutraSweet.
    They didn't have table salt, but they had salt from the sea...

Etc. etc. and so forth. At the same time, we made an Angel Food cake mix... which we made last time. And we put it in a bundt cake tin... even though it told us not too. And we burned the top off then.

So, this time, Becca pours it back into the bundt cake... and forgets to take the little shelf-y thing down a level.

So, there we are, talking... and the oven starts to smoke.

*sheepish grin*

25. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

My first girl scout food badge was sweet and sour pork--and I burned it.

End of story.

:D :D :D :D :D

More right away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.